WCW: Los Angeles Sub-Regional

Looks like it will be Sting heading to the finals against either Guerrero or Jarrett. Guerrero/Jarrett would be an interesting matchup and I would pick Jarrett slightly over Guerrero so I think it's Sting/Jarrett in the finals with Sting winning.

I think that Gelgarin and the Thezpians can be blessed with their draw. I think outside of first round upsets, Thesz can make it round three where he will eventually be knocked off by Sting. Thesz getting that much exposure will certainly be a good thing, but I can't see him getting past the Stinger.

The Bottom half is pretty interesting. Anything but Eddie Guerrero vs. Jeff Jarrett will be a shocker in my opiinion, and in my opinion I take the guy taht won 10 world championships over a former 1 time champion and a guy that has only become popular in death any day of the week. Unfortunately though, Guerrero will beat Double J, when he really isn't even in his league. Sting should probably win this region, but I have a feeling Guerrero will get the nod.

Sting/Jeff Jarrett should be the finals of this sub-region. Eddie Guerrero might get looked at heavily, but will it be for the talent he held, or his death still being as if it were yesterday?

While Sting doesn't have it as easy as Hulk Hogan does, I still think Sting should walk away fairly easily with the support he's gathering on the forums. Eddie deserves to win, but only until he faces Sting or Jarrett, both of which should defeat him.

I think Jeff Jarrett may be being over-looked because of his ownership in T.N.A. When the fact is, the guy is one of the better pure wrestlers around. Sting/Jarrett is what I'll be pushing for, with a Sting overall victory in the end.

Guess what? For once, I'm not with Will. Or, almost anyone here. The top half will be Sting's for the taking. The bottom half, isn't as clear as Jarrett v. Guerrero.

I was never a big fan of Jarrett's, and still feel he only became popular because of his success in his own company. He's a decent guy in the ring, but he's a second round failure here.

For those of you that didn't look, go look at the picture of Ultimo Dragon where the seeds are announced. Go ahead. I'll wait. Back yet? That kind of dominance is laughable. There's no reason he shouldn't go to the finals to face Sting. Sting will win, as he should, but Jarrett, or Guerrero, should never win over Dragon. He's a great wrestler, and can fly off just about anything. He had some marginal success in WCW, and will feel at home on the west coast.

Dreamer got a terrible draw. His only chance at success was to land in ECW, and he obviously didn't. He's not as bad as some people around here give him credit for, but he's no Sting. His DDT is effective, and will give him a win in Round 1, but then he'll be in line behind Duggan, waiting for his lovely parting gifts.

Balls.

I had Dreamer as a darkhorse in the ECW bracket, but it looks like he's going to get stung in the second round. And that's too bad, because had Dreamer landed in ECW...all bets would be off in that bracket.

I'm calling it right now...2nd round upset...Ultimo Dragon over Jeff Jarrett. I'm going to be pretty much a hypocrite in this, as I'm going to back Verne Gagne like he's my homeboy, but I'm just not seeing the validity of Jarrett's double-digit world title reigns. But the all-aroundness and decorated resume of Dragon all over the world is very impressive.

Reactions: NSL
Hmmm...this is going to be a tough one for Sting, seeing as how much Gelgarin loves Lou Thesz. I'll do some research on Thesz for the sake of this tournament, but, even if he is as great as people say he is, he will still have trouble overcoming the soft spot many WZ posters have for Sting. Well, it will be a good battle between these two. In the lower half of this bracket, I'll be pulling for Ultimo Dragon. What can I say? I love me some cruiserweights!

Thesz v. Disco

Please tell me this is too good to be true. Not even Vince Russo could dream up a secnario where Disco beats Thesz. I almost wish someone here had the technology to make this happen in the digital world, just so we could watch it over and over again.

Originally, I was kind of annoyed that someone had Disco at #9 on their list, and now, I'm thanking them. Perfect placement for him. This should eb the squash of the tournament right here.

I've never been a fan of Jarrett's, so I'll definitely need to do some homework on El Canek. Hopefully he's got enough for me to able to get the upset on Double J.

Top me, Jarrett was always over-rated in the WWF/E, and his success never seemed truly believable in WCW. The only time I bought into him being a champ, was in TNA. The problem with that, is that it's his company. Anyone can give themselves a margin of success. Look at Vince and Shane! I wouldn't be surprised if he won the first round match, but I'd be pretty ticked off if he beat Ultimo Dragon.

Expect a MAJOR backing by me for El Canek. I am the one and only person who voted for him, and he is easily among the most under-rated wrestlers in pro wrestling history.

At seed #54 in the region, he draws Jeff Jarret. El Canek would KILL Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett isn't even in El Canek's league!

In fact, El Canek shouldn't even see a challenge (Ultimo Dragon or JYD? Please...) until he'd face Eddie "I'm Only Over 'Cause I Died" Guerrero. And Canek would smoke Guerrero, too. Though I would advise against it, smoking Guerrero would probably get Canek high.

El Canek > The LA Sub-Region.

EDIT - LEARN ABOUT THE GREAT EL CANEK HERE: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=898139#post898139

May as well state my case now. Don't know if Shocky will bother to enact the 48 hour rule for the first round matches.

So, I've been watching El Canek's stuff. Haven't actually done any independent research yet; I trusted in the Canadian to show me stuff that would impress. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. This is another Kenta Kobashi situation. One difference - I actually knew who Kobashi was and was vaguely aware of what his list of achievements actually meant.

As of now, I'm going on what I've actually seen. I'd just like to quickly point out that the El Canek/Andre/Hogan/Inoki match that was posted features El Canek in an exclusive "standing on the apron" role. He gets tagged in, literally, in the last ten seconds. Why would you post that?

The first video is of him slamming Yokozuna. That video shows two things. Number one, he's strong. Strong enough to slam super heavyweights. Even super heavyweights like Jeff Jarrett. No, wait. Secondly, he's surprisingly cumbersome. Maybe he was having an off day. All I know is he was sort of jogging round at a comfortable pace and when it came to sliding over 'Zuna, he just did some sort of pathetic slide over him. I also found it very odd that 'Zuna seemed to, quite literally, bend down so he could jump over him. Maybe he needed a rest from those two punches he missed.

I'm about 80% certain this guy will go over Jarrett, for no reasons to do with actual skill. Firstly, few people know who he actually is, nor the promotions he's won belts at; always a vote winner in the early rounds. Secondly, IC supports him, so why not? Thirdly, people just want an excuse to vote Jarrett out, as demonstrated beautifully by NSL.

Jeff Jarrett may not have a history of competing in Mexico, Japan and uh, Madagascar. He's not had dozens of obscure matches that you've never seen. He hasn't worked and won belts at promotions you've never heard of. You may even know about him in some capacity. You might know of his success, his victories over some of your favourite wrestlers in good matches, where he's shown skill and cunning. You might have even seen him recently, stealing the show repeatedly in tremendous matches with Kurt Angle. But please, please don't hold that against him. Forget about all that. He went to Japan once, y'know. And he's worked the indies from time to time!

3. Sting
62. "Maple Leaf Muscle" Petey Williams

Petey Williams has one of the best finsihers I've ever seen. Too bad he won't get close to using it. His prime, of what we've seen of his career so far, is not the Petey we're seeing now. It's the Petey we saw a year or two ago. He's good, but not Sting. Sting will get an easy win here.

30. "The Innovator of Violence" Tommy Dreamer
35. One Man Gang

Not only did Dreamer get a bad bracket, but he got a bad opponent. OMG will score the easy "upset" here, and chances are, it won't be pretty. Dreamer may get a move or two in, but he's got nothing to take down the big man.

As far a s a Sting v. OMG match in Round 2, I think my vote would still go to Sting. His strap match with Vader was rather impressive, and shows he can hang with much bigger men. If he can keep the pace up, and stay out of Gang's grasp, he should score a narrow victory.

19. The Iron Sheik
46. Psicosis

:eek2:

Excuse me as my fan-hood takes over. I love Iron Sheik as a heel. I also loved just about everything pre-Mexicools that Psicosis did. Sheik has the mat skills, and the strength advantage, but Psicosis has the speed and agility to negate all that. The vote will probably come down to who is liked more among the forums, and I'd guess that'll be Sheik. I'll have to take a 2nd look at both men before making a final decision.

6. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero
59. "The Notorious K.I.D." Kid Kash

Deep down, I think Kid Kash wins this. Based on pure ability, he has a narrow edge over Eddie. He was quicker in the ring as well. Eddie would have a strength advantage, but that probably won't make much of a difference. This is a great match for a WCW ring, and will definitely take to the air. It'll come down to who makes less mistakes, that is probably Eddie. Kash's bad attitude killed his career before it could really get going, so I'd have to say his immaturity would cause a lapse in thinking, giving Eddie a chance to hit the Three Amigos. I'm not sure who I'm voting for yet. It'll be interesting though.

27. The Junkyard Dog
38. Marty Jannetty

These four could be a very interesting group to watch. I've already said that I'm not sure who would win between Guerrero and Kash. Now I'll add, that I'm not sure who would win between JYD and Jannetty.

JYD was a decent brawler, but not a great wrestler. Jannetty was the wrestling half of The Rockers, and had a fair run as a singles competitor. He cna definitely fly better than JYD, and is faster, and more agile. The only area that he lacks to JYD, is power. He can negate that with almost everything he does in the ring. But, it still stands, that if JYD can land a decent haymaker, Jannetty will be thrown off his game. I'm more likely to support Marty here, but I'll have to wait until it's time for voting.

35. One Man Gang

Dreamer can take a beating, that's been his role for years. But he can't win, which is a crippling inconvenience when you're up against the legend that is Akeem. It won't be an easy match for the OMG, but at the end the former US Champion will reign supreme.

Two great cruiserweights in Eddie and Kash should make for an interesting match. I love Guerrero but I think Kash has a chance to beat him but I don't think he will get enough love to advance but I could be possibly voting for him.

And Sam, Canek > Jarrett and you know it. Stop being such a sheep yourself my friend.

I still fail to see why being one of the world's slowest, least agile cruiserweights is something to be proud of. Sure, he's surprisingly strong but that's meaningless against someone that doesn't count on not being picked up, as superheavyweights do. I guess that in Mexico, agile big men are commonplace and so cumbersome little guys are impressive. They also wear shoes on their feet, or so I would imagine.

I also fail to see how I'm being a sheep when I'm not following anyone. I am the shepherd. You all hate Jarrett. Sarcasm, perhaps?

I also fail to see how I'm being a sheep when I'm not following anyone. I am the shepherd. You all hate Jarrett. Sarcasm, perhaps?

I don't hate Jarrett. I nothing him.

I feel about Jarrett the way I feel about baba ganoush. If it's there, I'll eat it, but I'll ever go out of my way for it.

El Canek, on the other hand, is more like cous cous. In a world of rice and pasta, you don't think about him much, but then the right one hits you and you go on a kick. You start to realize that cous cous is healthy, light, and tasty, yet stronger in flavor than many dishes. You can put it with anything, or eat it alone. It's truly a versatile dish.

So yeah. Jarrett = baba ganoush. Canek = cous cous.

Mr. Sam = falafel. Because whenever I debate with you, I falafel. (say it fast.)

3. Sting

Stin will win this easy. He has more expiernce and is just better all round. Petey Williams was improving as of late but Sting will win this in a no brainer.

35. One Man Gang

Wow this is a tough one. Both athletes weren't spectactular nor were they horrible. Both served well for the wrestling business but I am going to say Dreamer will win here. With him being in the WCW enviroment jsut gives him an advantage.

14. Lou Thesz
51. "Wrestlezone's Own" Disco Inferno

While I do find Disco funny I guess you could say, I just don't think he could be Thez. Disco does not have as much in-ring skills as Thesz and I just don't think Disco could keep up even tho he is in his enviroment.

19. The Iron Sheik
46. Psicosis

While I do want Psicosis to pull an upset here I just don't see it happening. Iron Sheik was one of the big dogs in his generation. He moved in the ring good for his size and was terrific on the mat.

Again Eddie will win here easy. Eddie was just so good at everythign ( Aerial moves, mat wrestlign etc etc) Kid Kash could just do nothign to stop him.

27. The Junkyard Dog
38. Marty Jannetty

Another tough one. Jannetty was good in his prime but was nothing after/before that. Same here with Junkyard dog. They didn't really do much or anythign good outside of their prime. I just cant choose here.

11. "The King of the Mountain" Jeff Jarrett
54. El Canek

I didn't really like any of these guys. Altho Canek wasn't all so could he might be able to pull an upset on Jarret. I doubt it tho. Jarrett as shown to us durign his career that he deserved to be a multiple time world champion and he should move on to the next round.

I don't hate Jarrett. I nothing him.

Alright. No need to steal lines from Scrubs.

I feel about Jarrett the way I feel about baba ganoush. If it's there, I'll eat it, but I'll ever go out of my way for it.

You'll ever go out of your way to eat it?

You start to realize that cous cous is healthy, light, and tasty, yet stronger in flavor than many dishes. You can put it with anything, or eat it alone. It's truly a versatile dish.

This metaphor doesn't mean much to me. It seemed to me that Canek was decidedly heavy for a man in his division. If he were healthy, surely he'd be able to move faster? Tasty? No more so than any of those other wacky dishes they serve. Now I'm using the metaphor. I don't have a clue what you mean by eat it alone.

As for versatile, I fail to see how. The most versatile wrestlers are all-rounders. Randy Savage, AJ Styles, Brock Lesnar - they come in different shapes and sizes but are at least good in all areas. El Canek is not good in all areas. Seems to me that he's good against superheavyweights because he's faster than them and strong enough to slam them. I'd go as far to say that Jarrett is as fast and was hardly difficult to slam in the first place.

If El Canek ever took on Jarrett in WCW, he'd be picking pieces of guitar out of his hair afterwards.

Mr. Sam = falafel. Because whenever I debate with you, I falafel. (say it fast.)

Que?

I'm fairly certain that Sting will win this sub-region, but reading some of these posts I'm very surprised by two things.

1. No one seems to be giving any respect to JYD even though he is probably the one guy who could beat Sting.

2. People actually think Marty fucking Jannety has a shot at upsetting JYD.

Apparently people either don't know about JYD or they think he's just that guy who was over with the fans because he used to toy with his opponents by biting them and acting like a dog. What these people fail to realize is that he had an amazing career, and with the exception of Hulk Hogan he was probably the most over face in the WWE from 1985-1988. This guy is a hall of famer for a reason. He holds victories over legends such as Greg Valentine, Ted Dibiase, Ric Flair, and Jake Roberts. He also defeated the Iron Sheik and Randy Savage in the same night to win the Wrestling Classic tournament in the WWE. This guy is a legend that would embarrass Marty Jannety and give Sting a run for his money.

Come in here to discuss the Los Angeles Sub Regional of the WCW Bracket Headlined by the Stinger.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Los Angeles, CA
3. Sting

35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
51. "Wrestlezone's Own" Disco Inferno

19. The Iron Sheik
46. Psicosis

27. The Junkyard Dog
38. Marty Jannetty

11. "The King of the Mountain" Jeff Jarrett
54. El Canek

22. Ultimo Dragon
43. Masato Tanaka

Moving along to the Los Angeles Region.

Sting, Sting Sting, that's pretty much what we're looking at here. Sting will have no problem in round 1 dispensing of Petey Williams. Williams isn't a flashy cruiserweight, he's a CW taht tries to use power, and he'll get killed by Sting. Sting should have no problem with the winner, most likely One Man Gang, and Tommy Dreamer.

Lou Thesz, a legend in the business, against a Wrestlezone Exclusive??? How will it break down. Well, thesz should kill disco is how it should break down. Thesz is going to get a decent run, if Thesz gets into round 3, I will call it a success for the old timer, and I really think he's going to make it there. The Iron Sheik should get past psicosis, but I really can't see either hanging in there with Thesz in round two.

Eddie Guerrero takes on Kid Kash. I might be an Eddie Guerrero detractor, but I certainly will vote for him before a piece of talentless trash like Kid Kash. Kid Kash is horrible, in here, and in any company. Eddie Guerrero should face JYD in round two. If there is anyone as terrible and over rated as Kid Kash, then you are looking at the other Rocker, the guy that is famous for getting thrown threw a window, Marty Jannetty. Jannetty sucks and JYD should squash him. Eddie Guerrero will move onto round 3.

Then we get to the match taht seems to be the hot button match of this sub region, Jeff Jarrett vs. a glorified Cruiserweight. My vote is going to go to the most underrated American wrestler of the last two decades, and I hope most go that way. Jarrett will face off against either Tanaka or Dragon, but in my vision, Jeff jarrett goes over both.

So round 3 looks to be Lou Thesz vs. Sting,a nd I honestly can't see Thesz going any further. Thesz in round 3 is a victory, but Sting is too damn popular to lose here, and Sting will face the winner of Eddie Guerrero and Jeff Jarrett, which should be Jeff Jarrett.

Round 1 Results:

Sting vs. Petey: 44-5. Again, the top seeds are rolling int his thing, and justifiably so. Williams is terrible compared to a legend like the stinger.

Dreamer vs. OMG: 11-17: Poor Tommy, he does what he does best, loses. After a year one upset victory over Goldberg in year one, Dreamer hasn't had the luck since.

Thesz vs. Disco: 24-4. Not even an attempt was made by anyone to get Disco into round 2. Someone should have told marty.

The Iron Sheik vs. Psicosis: 24-3. Iron Sheik make you Humble!

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kid Kash: 33-2. Latino Heat moves on with ease against a nobody in Kash.

JYD vs. Marty McFly: 19-12. The Dog has no problem dispatching the other Rocker.

Double J vs. El Canek: 35-27. In one of the most highly fought out battle of the tournament so far, the King Of the Mountain prevails.

Ultimo Dragon vs. Tanaka: 27-5. The Dragon moves onto round 2 to face off against Double J.

Round 2
LA, Ca.

3. Sting
35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
19. The Iron Sheik

6. Eddie Guerrero
27. Junk Yard Dog

11. Jeff Jarrett
22. Ultimo Dragon

Round 2 Results:

Sting vs. One Man Gang: 46-1. NO problem at all for the Stinger. Sting went toe to toe with the likes of Vader, no way a guy like Gang was goikng to get the best of him.

Thesz vs. Iron Sheik: 24-8. The NWA legend has no problem taking out mr. Transitional champion. This sets up a classic battle of new vs. old in round 3.

Guerrero vs. JYD: 33-4. No problem for Latino Heat. JYD cna't thump his way into round 3.

Jarrett vs. Dragon: 24-17. The ten time world champion takes down one of the greatest cruiserweights in the world.

Round 3.
Los Angeles, CA.

3. Sting
14. Lou Thesz

6. Eddie Guerrero
11. Jeff Jarrett

3. Sting
14. Lou Thesz

I'm staying out of this one. If I any appreciation - or, alas, knowledge - of Thesz, I think I could use him to take a good crack at taking Sting out early. Alas, I don't. I know he has a small but loyal and knowledgeable fan base though. Sting won't go down, but he may get more of a beating than he was bargaining for.

6. Eddie Guerrero
11. Jeff Jarrett

I think I can do this. Get Jarrett over Guerrero, that is. As much as Jarrett is considered to be overrated (which he isn't), Guerrero is considered to be one of the most overrated of all time thanks to his premature death. Certainly, I reckon I can push Jarrett past this obstacle and into the blender that is a match with Sting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he can't beat Sting. I think there are perfectly legitimate arguments to say that he could. However, it'll take on of the tourney faves to take such a roundly loved figure such as Sting down. Jarrett is certainly not loved enough. At least, I don't think so.

With Sting and Thesz, I'm up in the air, but leaning towards one.

However, Jarrett should go over the most over rated wrestler of the modern era, and that man is Eddie Guerrero. Jarrett's resume is far more impressive then Guerrero, and I will still argue to this day that no one would have given a damn about Guerrero had he not died. My opinion, and I'm sticking to it. All it takes is to look back on Guerrero and watch his matches pre-2004, and no one could give a damn about them. I will not be totally against Guerrero, the guy had a good run, good for him anyway. His title reign is forgettable, but the guy managed to get himself over in 2004. However, he was then involved in one of the worst angles ever, and one of the worst worked feuds ever with Mysterio.

Simply put, vote Jarrett over Guerrero.

As for Thesz and Sting, I have a lot of respect for Thesz and the legitimate skill he brought into the industry. However, I can't vote for him over Sting. They're two different kinds of wrestlers from two different time periods. While Thesz has had an impressive showing against a lot of more modern day workers, I think his ride ends here. Sting is certainly not as skilled as Thesz, but I think Sting is a much more rounded wrestler. Sting was smart enough not to go to WWE where Vince would tarnish and possibly leave a gaping hole in Sting's great legacy and he'll be smart enough not to try to outwrestle Thesz. Overall, I think Sting's overall athleticism will be too much for Thesz to handle.

I'm sorry but yes, Jarrett is very much overrated. As much as Guerrero in my view. As I've said about Jarrett before, he's a good wrestler but he's certainly not a great one. He never should be the figurehead of any wrestling company, he just doesn't have it. His reigns as WCW World Heavyweight Champion during his "slapnuts" phase were laughable. Jarrett even comes across as a bit of a lovable bumpkin when trying to be a heel because he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Then he starts up TNA and develops an acute case of Verne Gagne Syndrome by keeping himself in the top spot and keeping the NWA Championship for much longer and many more times than he should have.

As for Guerrero, I've always had respect for Guerrero's in-ring capabilities. I do feel that he was overrated, I'll admit that, but I found the guy entertaining. Some of what he did was reduced to a cheap Latin stereotype, but it made me laugh nonetheless. While both are overrated, I can't bring myself to vote for guy that founded the company and put the top title on himself over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back