WCW: Los Angeles Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Come in here to discuss the Los Angelese Sub Regional of the WCW Bracket Headlined by the Stinger.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Los Angeles, CA
3. Sting
62. "Maple Leaf Muscle" Petey Williams

30. "The Innovator of Violence" Tommy Dreamer
35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
51. "Wrestlezone's Own" Disco Inferno

19. The Iron Sheik
46. Psicosis

6. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero
59. "The Notorious K.I.D." Kid Kash

27. The Junkyard Dog
38. Marty Jannetty

11. "The King of the Mountain" Jeff Jarrett
54. El Canek

22. Ultimo Dragon
43. Masato Tanaka

Round 2
LA, Ca.

3. Sting
35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
19. The Iron Sheik

6. Eddie Guerrero
27. Junk Yard Dog

11. Jeff Jarrett
22. Ultimo Dragon

Sting should dominate here. He's better than both of the others in here by far. When he was at his best in WCW, he was as good as anyone ever. This guy had it all. Power, speed, jumping ability, ground game, submissions. Eddie and Jarrett are both good, but this isn't Jarrett's comapny. Sting was WCW until Hogan got there. Jarrett was big in WCW when it was dead. THis is as big a walk as I've seen yet.

Yeah Sting should win. I don't see him loosing. Eddie and Jarret weren't that big. I mean Eddie was just startign to get better when he left and Jarrett did nothing until the company was almost dead. Sting dominated when it was early 90's and he still did the job in the late 90's.

I am not giving it to Sting here so quickly. He is fast in the ring, but Eddie is faster. He is powerful, but so was Eddie. In fact, these two have a lot in common. Hometown means little here, there will be a strong Latino presence in the crowd for Eddie here. Eddie may finally get the respect he earns in the WCW. Now Jarrett is interesting. He was big in WCW when it was dying, but I think he thinks he can be big at anytime. Jarrett has the head and the smarts to get him a win.

I can't believe that Eddie Guerrero is seeded as highly as this. Despite his title reigns, I can't see that Jeff Jarrett will do particularly well, so unless there is a suprisingly low seed entrant in this section, or if someone gets a few upsets, then Sting should walk it.

However, Eddie's immense popularity will get him through the early rounds and could give him the momentum to give Sting a fright, but Sting is going to win here.

Sting will likely win. This is his territory: a company he thrived in AND hometown advantage. He is perhaps a darkhorse to win this whole tournament, so I'd say he gets the nod here.

Jarrett will likely fall to Guerrero, if not sooner. He is a fish out of water here, so peace out Double J.

Now, I can see Eddie getting some support. Sure, he wasn't his best in WCW, and probably won't win this bracket, but could make finals. If he does, a gimmick match that swings in his favor could allow him to even topple Sting. A longshot, but not impossible.

I see Sting winning this region but it's not going to be easy if he has to face Eddie Guerrero. Eddie has the speed and the technical ability like Sting and can work great with the crowd. It would make for a interesting match if Eddie gets to the final two but Sting will prevail.

Even with Sting being the hometown boy, Eddie Guerrero still has a huge fan base, especially out of California. Also factor in that some of Eddie's biggest wins occured in Cali, including winning the WWE Championship. Personally, I have to pick Eddie as the favorite over Sting, but only slightly.

Jeff Jarrett is a goner against either of these two, if he makes it as far. The only real chance he stood here, was if he ended up in his own company. He isn't bad in the ring, but he's not on the level of Eddie or Sting.

Eddie's performance will depend heavily on which Eddie shows up. He was good in WWE, but I personally feel his best matches were in WCW as a cruiserweight. He was one of the top heels not in nWo, and had great matches with Rey, Chavo, and Malenko. He can't fly better than Sting; he can't brawl better than Sting; he can't mat wrestle better than Sting. This bracket is Sting's for the taking.

Any match Sting faces for now, is just an appetizer to the Sting v. Hogan showdown we're all waiting for. Sting from any era can show up, and beat just about anyone that shows up in here. This is the company he carried while Hogan was carrying WWF, and he'll have the crowd behind him the whole way. Once he cleans house here, he's well built for the gimmick matches, and should find his way into the final rounds rather easily.

Jeff is going nowhere. He'll be destroyed against either 2.
Logically one would think that Sting would go over Eddie, but I could see an upset happening... In fact, I'm kinda hoping for it.

I quite like Jarret, but he's not good enough to go over Sting. Monkey shall be pleased. Eddie was good, but no where near as great as Sting is, and I know almost nothing about Stings career. Eddie has a few hardcore fans, but so does Sting. If they match up I can see it being quite close, but Sting will definitely come out as the winner.

Jarrett has got the better of Sting on plenty of occasions. It's a lot more even that you think. But popularity will reigns supreme and Jarrett will likely go out early.

As much as I love Jeff, Sting will take the region easily. The man is a legend wherever he's been.

Jarrett vs Eddie - WWF/E midcarders (up until near the end of Eddie's life), Jeff was the better in the comparison of time in WCW, holding the WHC, while Eddie was bid adieu to be sent to WWF with The Radicalz. Jeff in TNA has been a main eventer, but that's his own company. I think Jeff would have won an actual match, but in the popularity contest, Eddie will take it.

Still, neither man will beat Sting in all honesty

Sting should have little problems getting through this round. Anything that the others did well, Sting did twice better. Sting was, and always will be, the best wrestler ever in the WCW. Even after Hogan got there, Sting was still the man. Sting is the man in this sub-regional, the man in this region, and the man in this tournament.

Thesz is gone. Even Gelgarin can't bring him up over Sting. Should he go on longer? Against his frist two opponents I'd say so. Sting is a different story though. Thesz is more important to the business and a better in ring worker as far as technical stuff goes, but he's against a very different style. Sting can do it all pretty well, and has the name recognition. Thesz should get to Sting but will lose. Don't know if I agree if that's fair, but I can't picture anything else happening.

Thesz should get to Sting but will lose. Don't know if I agree if that's fair, but I can't picture anything else happening.

KB got it right. Thesz should get to Sting, but that may even prove a problem, based on most people only knowing him as "that important guy from long ago". If Thesz gets there, I'm still going with Sting, but this bracket definitely seems to be the best for good all-around wrestling, even if it does bore half of us into a coma.

One person finally mentioned Thesz in this thing, and I was beginning to wonder when it was going to happen. Youngster's will never understand Thesz, and they won't even likely take the time to try. Myself included, to be honest.

I know him as a legend, and a guy that was very way before my time. This is why I get disappointed in Tournament's with "greats". Because the true greats from yester-year will never get a fair shake, due to not being the greats of "this generation".

Sting should take this easily, and I think Eddie Guerrero and his "death" may bring up a slight challenge, mixed with Jeff Jarrett and his possible increase in popularity.. but it's Sting. STING!

Don't get me wrong. Jarrett can defeat Sting, as could Eddie.. but they won't, because it's STING! :lmao: Some of you may be wondering why I keep defending Sting by merely saying it's him. Well, that's all I have to do to defend him, because it's mother fucking Sting, bitches.

I'll quickly eliminate Lou Thez and jarret from the running and go directly to Guerrero and Sting. It would be a classic match as both are similar in styles and have great ring savy. Sting however was more over and subsequently that earns him a victory vis the Scorpion Death Lock

You know, provided people don't vote first and think later, I think I've got off pretty lightly with this bracket.

Given that he was better than every other name listed so far, in every category outside of 'who had the most kick ass face paint?', I think I might be able to get enough people listening to reason to push him a little way.

We should certainly get as far as Lou Thesz V Sting, which will be the first serious challenge. On the one hand, Thesz was bigger than Sting. A better ring technician. A better legit fighter. A better draw. A better champion. And did ten times as much for the wrestling industry.

I'll be honest with you, I'm struggling to come up with an 'on the other hand', so I'll just be pissy and go with 'on the other hand, Sting was active inside the past ten years' and leave it at that.

Thesz should win this bracket. There are only half a dozen guys in this thing who should challenge him (outside of the gimmick matches. Thesz gets killed in anything that's not an iron-man variation) and none of them are here. Whether or not he actually does win... well saddly that falls mostly on the shoulders of people who arn't me, but I'll be doing everything I can to poke them in the right direction.

We should certainly get as far as Lou Thesz V Sting, which will be the first serious challenge. On the one hand, Thesz was bigger than Sting. A better ring technician. A better legit fighter. A better draw. A better champion. And did ten times as much for the wrestling industry.

I'll be honest with you, I'm struggling to come up with an 'on the other hand', so I'll just be pissy and go with 'on the other hand, Sting was active inside the past ten years' and leave it at that.

No one is denying Thesz anything, or trying to diminish what he did for the business (as far as I know). He's a great in-ring guy, but he won't get past Sting. With, or without, the fan vote, Sting is the favorite.

No matter what you say, you can't deny his pure abilities. He can/could do just about anything in the ring, and has a few effective moves that can all work as finishers. I don't care who you are, you don't get out of the Scorpion Deathlock easily.

No matter what you say, you can't deny his pure abilities. He can/could do just about anything in the ring, and has a few effective moves that can all work as finishers. I don't care who you are, you don't get out of the Scorpion Deathlock easily.

Right up until that last sentence, I thought you'd come around to the side of reason and were talking about Thesz.

Allow me to mirror Slyfox, and pick this one apart piece by piece.

No matter what you say, you can't deny his pure abilities.

You can't deny the wrestling ability of Brother Ray, that doesn't mean he should advance. Sting was good, that's a fair comment, and I'm not so warped that I'm going to try and deny that. But rephrase the sentence to "Sting was good at..." and conclude with anything other than cutting promos or applying makeup, and I can instantly counter with "Thesz was better".

He can/could do just about anything in the ring, and has a few effective moves that can all work as finishers.

In my limited experience, I have seen Thesz end matches with;

German Suplex
Back Drop
Original Power Bomb
Front Suplex
Headlock Take Over
Thesz Press
STF
Hammerlock
Arm Bar
Knee Bar

And you bet your boots that if I kept looking, I could double the length of that list. Any argument revolving around 'ability to finish a match' is laughable in the face of Lou Thesz.

I don't care who you are, you don't get out of the Scorpion Deathlock easily.

Everybody gets out of the Scorpion Deathlock easily. It's hard to find a full length Sting match where it wasn't reversed at some point. Add to that the fact that he's up against the greatest technical wrestler on the face of the planet, and I think we can safely say that Thesz will not be needing to tap out.

In contrast, when Lou Thesz locked on an STF variation (which I might add, he pioneered) it actually 'was' over. The fall was called. Insert coin to continue.

There is no reason for Thesz to loose.

In contrast, when Lou Thesz locked on an STF variation (which I might add, he pioneered) it actually 'was' over. The fall was called. Insert coin to continue.

There is no reason for Thesz to loose.

Without taking away form the STF, that was also a time when a finisher meant the match was over. By the time Sting was wrestling, it needed to be spiced up, or people would fall asleep in the stands.

Like Sweet Chin Music, it almost never "works" the first time, but it does the job. The second time the move was applied, you knew it'd be over. Sting was also smaller then. He has packed on more muscle lately, and could apply a lot more pressure using the Deathlock.

that was also a time when a finisher meant the match was over

Wrong. That was a time when, for the most part, finishing moves didn't exist. The reason being, that they made wrestling look fake, and Thesz came from an era when people had to be good enough to actually convince the crowd that what they were seeing was real.

Now you'll forgive me for pointing out the fairly obvious contradiction between your statements of

I don't care who you are, you don't get out of the Scorpion Deathlock easily.

and

Like Sweet Chin Music, it almost never "works" the first time, but it does the job.

So, from this I can deduce that we've moved from the argument of Sting having some super powered finisher (that would somehow give him an edge over Thesz?) to the Stinger having a finisher like every other guy. So now I think we can accept that Thesz not only had more ways to finish a match, but his signature moves were also more reliable.

I'll also add in the fact that Thesz wrestled hour long contests on a regular basis, and competed in 350 contest a year. So we can add superior stamina and endurance to the list of reasons to vote for him ahead of Sting.

I'm honestly struggling to find a reason why you'd vote for Sting, other than that 'you like Sting'. I like Sting, but in this contest he's fairly transparently outclassed.

It'll be interesting to see how Iron Sheik fares. I had him on my list, and liked watching him in the ring, but he had a tremendous amount of heat, and may suffer from it here. The Camel Clutch is a finisher that just plain hurts, and could steal him a win or two. He shouldn't have a problem getting out of the gate, but can run into some trouble with Thesz. Thesz has a good, solid reputation, while, like I said before, Sheik is hated. Not say Thesz shouldn't win, but he'll win based on support, not wrestling ability.

i'm still going for Sting. If Gelgarin gets his wish, and gets some fan support going for Thesz, things could change, but Sting is still my man here. Guerrero is the only one that has the ability, and the possible fanbase to pull off an upset.

I think this comes down to Sting, Jeff Jarrett and Eddie Guerrero. Jarrett is overrated in my opinion. I really can't see what was so great about the guy. Even now in TNA, he's still heavily overrated. He's good and worthy of the main event status, but he just doesn't have the "it" factor. Eddie Guerrero was probably one of my top 3 favourite wrestlers ever, but facing Sting in WCW, that's a pretty damn tough task.

From what I've heard, Sting was an absolute God in WCW, especially before Hulk Hogan arrived. He was in the main event of Starccade where WCW had the chance to put the final nail in the WWF's coffin, but they failed. That doesn't change the fact that Sting was a tremendous wrestler and still is to this very day.

I think Sting will beat Guerrero in the final because he is just way too popular and too great for Eddie Guerrero, but I expect it to be a rather close match despite what some people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back