Was The Rock return all it was hyped up to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugotpwned999

I Can See You... MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH
For the past 4 or so years people having been waiting, begging for the 'most electrifying man in sports entertainment' to return, once again, to the WWE. His return was hyped like anything, the first night back was a masterpiece, finally some entertainment, a great promo. But...

What in the hell has Rock done since then? His first promo, like I said, was a refreshing change from the bland shit we get force fed week after week, but since that, he hasn't done a thing except interfere in the main event at 'Mania 27 and announce the main event at WM 28. "I am never ever going away." Thats easy to say when you only show up on RAW every 5 weeks, do a bland promo thats exactly the same as the last one you did, "Whoop your candy ass, Fruity pepples etc...":banghead:

But all that aside, Was The Rocks return dissapointing? Was it all it had been hyped up to be over the past few years?

IMO, No. Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I expected him to show up on RAW a bit more, and when he did do something different than cut a promo that was exactly the same as the one he's cut for the past 3 months.

I still find him electrifying, no doubt, but I don't think his return lived up to the hype. What Do you guys think?

Jesus Christ, do we really need another one of these threads? The Rock isn't wrestling, so what exactly did you expect him to do? Every time he's been on RAW, he's been miles more entertaining than anyone else on the roster. And if you can't handle some degree of formulaity...then why are you even a fan of pro wrestling in the first place?

I see what you're saying about his promos being eerily similar to each other, but at the same time, didn't he kinda do that anyways?

Think about it like this, pretty much all his promos have ever started with "Finally...etc etc", he'll almost always pull an "IT DOESN"T MATTER" or a "WHO IN THE BLUE HELL" and he'll always end it with "IF YOU SMELLLL etc etc"

So when you think about it, haven't most if not all his promos been generally in the same regardless of his recent run?

To answer your question though, if you were expecting him to show up every week, blast everyone for 20 mins and Rock Bottom everyone, then yeah you'd be disappointed.

But if you were just expecting him to drop in every few weeks and do his thing then no, I don't think you would be, I personally am not.

Originally Posted by ugotpwned999 For the past 4 or so years people having been waiting, begging for the 'most electrifying man in sports entertainment' to return, once again, to the WWE. His return was hyped like anything, the first night back was a masterpiece, finally some entertainment, a great promo. But...

The Rock's return was never hyped or announced, Vince came out one week & said something on the lines of that he got someone special to host Wrestlemania & that person would show up the following week on Raw. Noone knew for sure that it would be The Rock.

What in the hell has Rock done since then?

Well he did what he said he was gonna do & that was host Wrestlemania, & he also said something about laying the smackdown on anybody that got outta line w/him, & he did that also when he put a hurting on Miz, A. Riley, & Cena. Last I checked he never said he was doing anything else besides those things, not once did he say he was getting back in the ring before he set the match w/John & he hasn't said anything about coming back full time or even part time, but you can expect him to more than likely be a big part of the show once it gets close to Wrestlemania season.

"I am never ever going away." Thats easy to say when you only show up on RAW every 5 weeks, do a bland promo thats exactly the same as the last one you did, "Whoop your candy ass, Fruity pepples etc...":banghead:

I think you read to much into what he meant when he said he was never going away. It didn't mean hey guys I'm back full time, I believe he said that just to shut the naysayers up about believing & talking shit about him never coming back. I believe he said those words to let all his real loyal fans know that no matter how long he is away doing something else that we can always count on him poping back up cause I'm truely never going away. Basically he was saying that whenever he leaves its not goodbye but see you later.

But all that aside, Was The Rocks return dissapointing? Was it all it had been hyped up to be over the past few years?

I would say that his return was what I was expecting it to be so far, he did a good job at hosting Wrestlemania. He was a host I mean host don't add that much to a show really so I already knew that the only point of him hosting Mania was to get buyrates up & further the feud w/him & Cena so he did what I expected him to do & that was get the crowd hyped up before the matches kicked off. Now the backstage segments at Mania could have been better but in this PG era I wasn't expecting for them to be any better then what they was.

Then you have his B-Day Celebration which was exactly what it was a B-Day Celebration. Now I will admit that I did believe that his B-day was all apart of some bigger angle that they was gonna throw at us involving him & Cena but it really wasn't. W/that being said I still enjoyed that Raw because it had a few good parts out of it & the ending w/Rock & Vince was completely unexpected for me.

IMO you really can't judge or give his return a complete grade just yet because him & Cena's feud & match hasn't even began to take off yet. Now once the dust has settled on him & John then I believe a person can say if his return was really worth the wait or not.

HOT MUSTARD SANDWICH!!!!!!!! ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS!! THE IWC IS OUTRAGED OHHHHHH NOOOOO!!!!!! I think they want the rock to quit acting and stop breaking box office records like fast 5, they rather have him break wrestlemania records HA what a joke worse wrestlemania in YEARRRS and still did huge numbers cuz of the rock.. I guess he is all HYPE......... NOT

peope winge that they want the rock to wrestle again....so he dose comback announced his match now people are complaing what more can he do

it really pisses me off when ppl call the rock a man of 1004 catchphrases and tht all his promos have the same lines.

NEWSFLASH

look at his old promos. they had the same lines too. u didnt complain then and u shudnt complain now. the truth remains the same. the wwe will always need an older veteran so still show up frm time to time. during the attitude era u had guys like sgt slaughter, hacksaw jim, mr perfect etc making appearances. in this age u have stone cold, the rock, bret, hbk and now triple h.... the entire wwe cannot be run solely on the youth movement because quite frankly the younger guys on the roster INCLUDING cena and orton are talentless compared to what the guys in the attitude era were doing. but that was then this is now. make do with what u have.

The WIC is beyond a joke sometimes. You are the kind of people that scream like crazy when he shows up and than steps all over him the next minute. It's called entertainment and Rocky does it better than anyone. If you aren't being entertained by him than you obviously never appreciated his stuff from the past because it was exactly the same.

rock's promos are all the same...

cena's promos are all the same with his never give up bs, and his "serious talk" mixed with some of the worse jokes ive seen a wrestler do.

orton is about as robotic as they come on the mic

jericho kept saying practically the same thing as his last incarnation

undertaker always says he is going to take your soul

alberto always talks about how its his destiney

miz is jericho 2.0

i can go on and on. and guess what, i like a lot of the guys i mentioned (definately not all) but they are currently at or near the top of the wwe. im not even including other main eventers or midcarders who also do the same thing. what im saying is that they play the same character, so does the rock. what makes the rock better is the presence he brings, and the hilarious stuff that he comes up with. the rock is the rock, and will always say his catchphrases, hell, he admitted that the raw after wrestlemania. it makes the fans happy, and it should make you happy. all of the rock's promos have been different, but they were all the rock. if you expected something different, then idk how anyone can please you.

I think that The Rock's return is the perfect example of how a final run for a great wrestler should be booked.

The Rock's return was the thing that most of us fans were waiting for. We would have been happy even if he had only returned for one night, talked shit and had gone back to making films. But this time we got a lot more out of The Rock. We got a dream match that has probably been simmed on every wrestling game in the market: John Cena vs The Rock. Tell me, did you even imagine a year ago that John Cena would ever wrestle The Rock at WrestleMania?

Rock's run has also given Cena an opportunity to show just how good he is. Basically one of the reasons why he has been so lame over the years, except when he is cutting serious promos, is because he does not exactly have a colorful personality to work with. What sort of a promo can you expect him to cut on guys with dial tone personalities? But The Rock has given him some material to work with and the results are there for everyone to see.

And FINALLY, The Rock's promos have always been similar. Problem is that to you it was entertaning earlier, to most it is still entertaining, but you need something to bitch about.

So Rock's return has been an epic success. I even think that so far his appearances on Raw have been excellently timed. He has returned every time the audience got a bit restless and I think that he will continue to do so until WrestleMania 28. He does not need to make more appearances as he is a part of just one storyline and you need to showcase the other talents you have on the show as well.

Oh here we go again another "The Rocks all hype", The Rock this the Rock that thread blah blah blah. He's not wrestled a match? Who cares! His return has been hyped? so what! he is hardly ever there? dont state the obvious now! Id tune into 3 months of the bland uninspiring product that the WWE is floging right now just for one Rock appearence in that time, I dont care if he is hardly ever there because he doent have to be he doesnt need the WWE, he is there because he wants to be and if thats once every three month im still glad to have him!

Admittedly, I'm disappointed in the Rock's return. I knew it was only going to be a temporary thing What's bugging me is how he's being plugged over Cena. Yes, The Rock is a better promo guy. Yes he was a better star. But Rock coming in and taking over isn't a good thing for the company's talent. This feud with John Cena has rubbed me the wrong way. Cena right in his allegations, but they've made Cena look bad. He's not the heel in this situation. It just doesn't make sense. Rock should be feuding with a heel. One deserving of the role. Not John Cena. Sure, it'll be a great match. It'll be Hogan vs Rock all over again. But they could be using the Rock to elevate other guys that need the help. Interacting with him has helped make the careers of a lot of guys. Mick Foley and Y2J are fine examples....

Wow. Really, what are you on about. His return was everything it was hyped up to be, even better. Do you really think The Rock would have returned in 2011 and challenge Cena to the biggest match in history? People have been pissing and moaning for this match for ages and now thats its come, everyone just judges the bad.

Interesting responses as usual. Cracks me up people getting so fired up about another post on the Rock. The return is what it is and is what it was supposed to be. The results were Vince got his huge buy for the Wrestlemania PPV and still gets ratings when Rock is on and gets the main media push because Rock has that with his Hollywood career. For me I'm not dissappointed because it is what I expected outside of the Birthday celebration I did not see them doing that so soon after the announcement of the match with him and Cena because I did not think he would have the time and I thought they might focus on the next PPV . The birthday show is what it was though. In my opinion though I always remember one of the highest rated segments being the this is your life segment with Rock and Mick Foley and this birthday celebration reminded me of that so those of us that complain about more "wrestling" remember majority still watches what entertains apparently. I thought the celebration was too much because the video tribute was something that I see for someone who is retiring like Edge. Bottom line though this is what to expect when they can get him to appear the Rock will be there and there will be no difference in anything he does or says because for the majority IT still works and he still entertains.

Looks like I don't need to say much. Other people have already told it like it is. I wish people would stop complaining. Fans wanted him to come back so he did...more than once, he's even wrestling in another match a year from now....and they bitch anyway.:wtf:

All this thread is is further proof that some internet fans simply cannot and will not be satisfied. The Rock isn't wrestling, we all knew that was how it was gonna be before he made his grand return on Raw. His promos have been great and have been EXACTLY the way they were back in the day when every last one of us who grew up during the Attitude Era hung on his every word. The Rock's promo work has been great and the reason it hasn't changed is because you can't fix something that's not broken.

I'm closing this thread as it isn't any different from the other half dozen or so just like it that's been made since The Rock's return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back