Wade Barrett: Just How Bad Is He In the Ring?

Remix

Is a thin rope
One of the most common complaints I read on here about Wade Barrett is that he's shit in the ring. I just don't get why. I'm not stupid enough to claim Wade Barrett is a wrestling master. He's not. However he's certainly not shit.

Why don't I think he's shit? Because he actually does what little he can do rather well. His offence while basic just works. He's a brawler, his moves don't have to be complex or pretty, as long as they look effective, which for the most part they do. He's also started milking the crowd for a reaction mid match, which they responded to. It may be because I'm a mark, but I simply don't see Wade as a bad wrestler. A bad wrestler to me would be someone who doesn't sell, doesn't take bumps and (stereotypically) spends the entire match dominating his opponent in uninteresting fashion. Which Barrett doesn't do.

Don't get me wrong, Barrett isn't exactly good in the ring either. He's slow paced, limited in the ring and is kind of sloppy. Despite that however, he doesn't stink up the joint whenever he steps between the ropes and can have good matches (such as vs Cena). And in spite of these deficiencies he gets the job done in the ring. It won't be pretty, but it will do the job.

So yeah, state your claim.

Remix, I agree. He's certainly not HHH or HBK, but yet, he's not Gillberg or some other jobber for that matter. He does lack the speed per se. Granted, I may be a bit biased in your eyes, (see sig..;) ) but bear in mind he comes from bareknuckles brawling background and you don't always have to be the fastest, its about trying to get the best of your opponent. Fast doesn't always win the race. There's that old story of the tortoise and the hare. In that store the tortoise kept going and won. Now, keep in mind much of Wade's main fighting ability is also psychological games as well. But he's far from shit in the ring...he still has a bit to go, but he's far from the worst in the ring.

Barrett is a big guy, he doesn't have to be like HBK or Angle in the ring. I have actually thought he was rather good in the ring. How many big men have you seen hit an elbow drop from the top rope almost every match? None that I can remember.

Barrett is still VERY new to WWE. He's young. He's only going to get better. In my opinion Barrett has all the potential in the world. I have been VERY impressed with his work in the ring and definitely on the mic.

I think its because he is very basic is why he is looked at as bad in the ring. He doesn't do anything that jumps out and makes you say wow! And most fans will say that means said person sucks in the ring. I have yet to find myself falling asleep when watching a match of his though. Really i take comments like those with a grain of salt and just try to enjoy the product because their is no pleasing more then half the wrestling fans around today.

I agree he is a brawler he's not the greatest wrestler in the world but he has potential. Do I see him as the WWE Champion just yet no! I think the whole Nexus thing is annoying just like the whole Anonymous GM Thing. Wade Barrett can be Champion but not till he pays his dues and earns the title.

i think wade barrett is one of the best guys wwe has at the moment. i believe hes currently the best on the mic wwe has. his in ring ability is not perfect but you have to remember he is still young. he has a very bright future in which i sse him being a world champion within the next year, maybe even sooner.

Barrett aint bad at all, for a guy who's been in the business the short time he has it's bloody fantastic, He's waaaaaay better that Cena was during his debut, and he's only getting better, he's fought some of the best in the company on a regular basis and the matches haven't been terrible and noone has been hurt...makes him 10X better than most the new guys that have come through over the past few years...If he's exactly the same in 2 years time then yes you could claim he was rubbish, but i cant believe that if he stays injury free and doesn't upset someone important in the back then he WONT be a multiple time world champion

I like Wade Barrett. I dont think he sucks in the ring anymore than a Sheamus. Wade is just brand new, he will get better. You can see that he has the ability to get better, where as some people you look at and just know they never ever will be good, like Luke Gallows.

What Wade has is the Mic Skills. I think he's great on the Mic, and his accent makes him sound like an arrogant dick. Perfect for being a ultimate heel.

He works that main event style of the WWE. Everything he does has more impact to it because they sell it like a big deal. His strikes are great, he bumps and sells good and he plays up to crowd in his matches much more than he ever did on NXT.

Another thing I've notice, Wade's "big man" stuff are mostly him countering moves. His version of the Bossman slam is kinda sloppy, but he just doesn't bust it out because he can. Its because he is desperate. The few times he has done a DDT, it was to counter the AA.

I understand if his style isn't your cup of tea. I don't know why people think he is bad either. Is he great? No. But I think given a few more months, it will really work for him. I think he is fun to watch now, though. lol

IMO Barrett is great. One of the best WWE has right now! I think hes pretty good in the ring! Barrett is young and has alot to learn! Since coming to the WWE I think barrett has done great,alot better than alot of people. I dont understand why so many ppl hate! Obviously hes doin his job!

Have to disagree. I think he is garbage in the ring. If you are going to be the leader of a group to take over WWE, then you cannot be "basic" in the ring. Oh and wasteland is a garbage move.

Wade Barrett is very good for what is asked of him in the ring. Its not like he's expected to go one hour broadways right now. He works the main event, 6-15 minute, get to the finish style. His moves look powerful, although I don't care much for his Wasteland finisher. And the sloppy stuff as long as it doesn't hurt anyone looks impactful as he isn't an actual 'wrestler' buy trade.

I think he'll be fine, he's still learning, still building the cardio to put on 20+ minute matches.

As far as Wasteland...it looks lazy more than powerful, Ultimate Warrior-ish. And we please come up with finishers that don't start from the Fireman's Carry? F5, FU (AA), Wasteland, Tyler Reks' move (although inverted)...

Wade Barrett is very good for what is asked of him in the ring. Its not like he's expected to go one hour broadways right now. He works the main event, 6-15 minute, get to the finish style. His moves look powerful, although I don't care much for his Wasteland finisher. And the sloppy stuff as long as it doesn't hurt anyone looks impactful as he isn't an actual 'wrestler' buy trade.

I think he'll be fine, he's still learning, still building the cardio to put on 20+ minute matches.

As far as Wasteland...it looks lazy more than powerful, Ultimate Warrior-ish. And we please come up with finishers that don't start from the Fireman's Carry? F5, FU (AA), Wasteland, Tyler Reks' move (although inverted)...
ya i think we kinda agree here lol

what he is asked to do is ok, it gets the job done, but being the leader of what Nexus is supposed to be, shouldn't the leader be more in the ring than just getting the job done?

ppl that say he cant wrestler are probably the same nerds who watch bryan daniels matches from the indys over and over again on youtube, you want to see wrestling go watch olympic style wrestling... wade is the FUTURE of wwe, and take alook at all the greatest wwe superstars, hulk hogan, cena, the rock, austin, none of these guys were great wrestlers but when its all said and done they will be more known than the great wrestlers like angle,bryan daniels, hbk, bret hart and soo on.. wrestling doesnt matter this is entertainment NOW!!!

Atleast hes not as bad as Otunga hes the worst wreslter ive ever seen. he litteraly thinks hes the second coming of the rock in which he isnt even close to a quarter. Another thing is I cant stand how he is such a wanna be "HOOD" hes a goody too shoes from Boston a nerdy white boy with a black guys appearance. If John cena only has 5 moves of doom this guys has two the body slam and elbow drop from the second rope. Im not sure why wwe is high on this guy his mic skills are horrible and he is still as lame as the nerd who got voted OFF I Love New York 2 for a complete sissy which makes Otunga a even bigger SALLY. point is this guy is a LAME a wanna be HOOD in which everyone can see right through him well I can. Otunga give it up!

i think barrett is extremely talented in the ring, he's just not ready for big matches. neither was sheamus and to me barrett is much batter than sheamus inside and out. Barrett is the complete package

ppl that say he cant wrestler are probably the same nerds who watch bryan daniels matches from the indys over and over again on youtube, you want to see wrestling go watch olympic style wrestling... wade is the FUTURE of wwe, and take alook at all the greatest wwe superstars, hulk hogan, cena, the rock, austin, none of these guys were great wrestlers but when its all said and done they will be more known than the great wrestlers like angle,bryan daniels, hbk, bret hart and soo on.. wrestling doesnt matter this is entertainment NOW!!!
very aware that this is about entertainment. Barrett if not the leader for Nexus would just blend in the crowd because he brings nothing in the ring. It is because of the Nexus movement that has given him the opportunity for this match. Wasteland sucks.

He's not bad at all...he's a rookie, and not as polished as he will be, but he does a pretty good job, and he will improve at a pretty good pace, especially if he stays in main event-level programs. I don't like his finisher, though...I think someone else might be able to pull it off, but I never like it when he does it. It seems a bit sloppy to me, but that will improve too, I am sure.

Isn't The Wasteland suppose to look ugly? Wade jerks the guy over his head to a straight 6ft drop on the ribs. It doesn't hurt that he spends the entire match working the back/rib area. I finisher doesn't have to knock a guy out. It just has to keep him down for 5 seconds.

So, what finisher would you give him? Anyone can say something sucks, but can you say why it sucks or what you would give him?

The people that say Wade Barrett can't wrestle are the ones that thing real wrestlers are the ones that flip and flop all over the place like a bunch of crackhead spider monkeys. I prefer actual wrestlers with an understanding and use of in-ring psychology to spot monkeys personally.

For what the WWE wants Barrett to do, he's quite good in my view. Why is it that every wrestler has to be another Shawn Michaels before it can be said that he's good? I do believe that he's still a little rough around the edges in some areas, but the man has entertaining matches. His match against John Cena at Bragging Rights was a damn good match. Barrett has a look, he has ring presence, he has mic skills and he can put on entertaining matches. What more can anyone ask of any wrestler?

The people that say Wade Barrett can't wrestle are the ones that thing real wrestlers are the ones that flip and flop all over the place like a bunch of crackhead spider monkeys. I prefer actual wrestlers with an understanding and use of in-ring psychology to spot monkeys personally.

For what the WWE wants Barrett to do, he's quite good in my view. Why is it that every wrestler has to be another Shawn Michaels before it can be said that he's good? I do believe that he's still a little rough around the edges in some areas, but the man has entertaining matches. His match against John Cena at Bragging Rights was a damn good match. Barrett has a look, he has ring presence, he has mic skills and he can put on entertaining matches. What more can anyone ask of any wrestler?
i dont think real wrestlers flip flop all over the place. It's clear he has no dynamic, no trademark. He is generic in the ring. Nothing about him in the ring makes him deserving to do competing for the wwe title.

I don't think he's sloppy in the ring at all. He's not the flashiest guy in the world, but he does everything fairly sound and is entertaining in the ring. He's progressing very well. To me he is a natural. Picks things up very fast.

BTW I personally love his finisher because of the power he puts into it. Sometimes he doesn't go all out and drive the guy into the mat, but it's probably more to be careful then anything. Making sure they land ok and all that stuff.

Barrett is a good big man. His skills are stellar and his little boxing shuffle is nice too. But he really sells me for his in-ring expressions. It is so important you sell your opponents move with the right expressions even if it's an a failed attempt. Sheamus is the king at the moment in that field. The Celtic Warrior is so very good at that.

Back to Barrett, His regular matches are ok but really he is yet to give a brilliant match. Maybe WrestleMania versus 'Taker. I'm exempting the Bragging Rights match coz the whole buzz was aroundCena and the stipulation. Always a buzz when Cena's involved and that night the stipulation was the star of the show.

P.S: Sarcy and LR79 should be banned from a Barrett thread henceforth, unless they come up with one thing they hate about Barrett :p

I thinks Wade Barrett has a lot of potential in the ring. His strikes look authentic, he sells well and can take a bump. He's perhaps not as fluid as some and is one paced and a little one dimensional, but thats more due to his size than anything else.

I can think of far worse wrestlers than him who have main evented and won titles with the company. Batista being an obvious example.

He's not bad in the ring at all. He's not a show-off, just a brawler.

I know it's off-topic, but is there anyone here who really likes Husky Harris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back