Vote For Pedro?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
So I hear that Pedro Martinez is meeting with the Phillies tomorrow, and will be taking a physical. Because he's always been in shape, I'm sure he'll pass, and therefore be signed Wednesday, possibly starting in the next few weeks. Does it really help though?

This is them trying to find a filler, since they won't get Doc Halladay, and they don't want their fans to be pissed off. I think he's had too long of a layoff, and is over the hill as far as his career goes. They may get a few starts out of him, but I don't know if he can/will finish the season, or how effective he'll be.

I'm a Phillies fan and I like the move, just because it's low risk. He gets a million bucks, which is nothing now a days. He'll be the 5th man in the rotation which will look like Hamels, Blanton, Moyer, Happ and Pedro. He doesn't have the velocity he once had but reports are he still has good movement on his pitches and he has pitched in big games and he knows how to pitch.
I don't think this signing takes them out of the Doc Halladay sweepstakes. If anything I think it improves their chances because reports are the Blue Jays would want Happ as part of any deal, as they want a pleothra of prospects and at least one major league ready player.
I think Pedro will be ok, definitely better than Bastardo and Rodrigo Lopez have been in that spot in the rotation since Myers went down. And I think he has a chip on his shoulder since no one else would give him a shot.

Pedro is healthy, has had time off to rest his arm and get some velocity back, and has the desire to win. He can hit almost ninety with his fastball, which is great for a pitcher his age. His pitches have good movement, and he won't need to rely on a fastball. If he doesn't do well in the starting rotation or if he can't pitch a whole game effectively, he'll be moved to the pen and add a strong arm. He's definitely a surer bet than pulling someone from AAA up to fill that fifth spot or waiting to see where Halladay lands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back