Vintage Video Thread

I watched Summer Slam 1991 again recently and I was curious as to where Undertaker was. He really looks out of place in that team. He does usually. But he's just plain wrong with them. That's almost as bad as when he teamed with Luger & The Steiners and he was wearing a coat with a stars and stripes lining.

I watched Summer Slam 1991 again recently and I was curious as to where Undertaker was. He really looks out of place in that team. He does usually. But he's just plain wrong with them. That's almost as bad as when he teamed with Luger & The Steiners and he was wearing a coat with a stars and stripes lining.

Undertaker was announced as being in the building during the IRS vs Greg Valentine match. He didn't appear at the actual PPV. On the video release they had a reception for Savage and Elizabeth. Savage and Liz were opening gifts, one of which was a Snake. Jake Roberts and Taker appeared and attacked Savage.

Undertaker could not look right teaming with anyone back then. Here's my last example.

Undertaker and The Ultimate Warrior vs The Berzerker and Papa Shango

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxX5XCSlEIw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxX5XCSlEIw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Not only does Taker look out of place, but everyone as well. Berzerker teaming with Shango? A viking and a voodoo doctor teaming up against two men who just finished trying to stuff each other in caskets. Weird doesn't describe this enough. The finish is weird to when Warrior and Taker shake hands. This is when Taker started heading in the wrong direction, he was making friends.

Well you could write a whole book on all the crap that Taker was involved in from his debut in 1990 to his current run now. Most of the book would consist of years 1991-1995. If there was something stupid that needed doing, you could be certain that Taker would be involved in it. The only highlight for me in the years before Goldust & Mankind was his final Casket Match with Yokozuna.

Taker really did come around at (only) just the right time. He was a prelude to all the wacky gimmicks that started in the early 90's. A year or so later and he probably would have got lost in the shuffle. That year gave him a head start over the likes of Shango, Bezerker, Doink and others.

True, he got a head start, but he was also pushed as a legit threat right from the beginning. He went undefeated all year then beat Hogan. He showed no signs of weakness, even against tough competition. It was when he turned face that he started into all the wacky stuff. He didn't really fit in with any faces and didn't look normal fighting heels (like the above Berzerker feud). It got to the point were WWF was bringing in guys simply to feud with him, who would then leave when the feud was over. Its actually pretty amazing that Taker lasted through 96. Though looking back, he did take constant breaks which helped him from getting stale.

I've never seen this match, and I think that's the way it should stay. If my memory is right this is just a classic example of WWF throwing together two feuds together in a tag match. Berzerker at the time was trying to stab Taker with his sword (go figure), and Shango was cursing the Warrior. This just doesn't make any sense at all. I could see an interesting feud with Shango and Taker in a battle of the mystical, but Warrior and Berzerker I can't picture doing much in any way shape or form. Taker was just stumbling frmo one feud to another at this point as they knew he was something special but there was no one that matched up with him in any decent feud at the time until Yoko showed up a few years later.

Undertaker and Berzerker suffered from the same problem, they didn't lend themselves to feuds very well. Berzerker was pushed as a powerful viking who only wanted to hurt people. As soon as he lost a single match, everything would go downhill. Its not a gimmick that can evolve, you would have to change it completely. He went to WCW and wrestled as John Nord.

When you through the two together, you get a clusterfuck tag match like this one and a feud that last a little over a month. Undertaker seemed out of place being overpowered by a half ******ed Viking, after he was coming off such a dominant run. If I remember correctly, the Warrior Shango feud didn't last too long either.

That's exactly right. Berzerker and Warrior were both very limited with their gimmicks. Berzerker couldn't cut a promo and if he started making sense, it wouldn't work as it'd be like Eugene or George Steele acting like the Genius. Warrior was just nuts and bounced off the wall like he always did. Shango, like Berzerker, was impressive because of his mystique. As soon as he was defeated, he was done. Taker was limited at the time because of how he was booked. Now that he's as insanely established as he is, he can pretty much do whatever he likes in the ring and no one could care less because he'll get cheered to high heaven anyway. These four couldn'tve been worse to put together at the time and the match shows.

[youtube]0U1MDK1qwzA[/youtube]​

Some Midgets

Not an important match by any means. Or even a great one. In fact I'm only posting this because of the match it replaced. Before this match happened Vince, J.R. & Lawler sad at ringside and gave a very half hearted Brian Pillman tribute. Vince said that the match between Brian Pillman & Dude Love wouldn't be taking place. But he had something that was more than suitable as a replacment. Out come the midgets. Now I like Max Mini as much as the next guy. But he's no Mick Foley. Not only was this a poor replacement. But talking about Pillman then having Lawler having a good time laughing at the midgets 5 minutes later doesn't look too good to me.

Dude Love vs. Brian Pillman would have been an awesome match.

Now that I think of it, how many times have the "minis/midgets/juniors" had stints in the WWF. They were here in the 80's, gone, then came back twice in the 90's and were even on Smackdown as recent as 2005. You think they'd realize it just doesn't work here.

The back story of this is one of the saddest moments in wrestling for me personally. Brian Pillman was one of my childhood favorites. He was the sole reason I watched WCW with my dad. He died the day before this PPV in my hometown. I didn't get to see Pillman while he was here and I still think about that until this day. I legitimately miss him, Henning, and Rick Rude. Same with Eddie, but to a lesser extent.

I've never seen this video...I remember an old coliseum video that the million dollar man hosted and it was pretty much the same scenario without the lumberjacks but they went to the instant replay because of Gorilla Monsoon and the decision was reversed. I think this video shows that Owen truly is a former WWF champion. Long live the King of Harts Owen Hart! Even though you're gone Owen, you will NEVER be forgotten.

[youtube]IIzY_XY4y44[/youtube]​

Owen Hart Wins The WWF Title

So people can finally stop going on about how he never got to hold the big one. At the very end of the match he does indeed hold that title. I don't know why the decision was reversed, or why nobody has ever posted this before. But it's intresting. I'd kinda forgot how intresting Owen was in 1994. Shame he didn't keep that up.

Couldnt understand a word those commentators said.

FACT

But good little match. Old school Taker was very entertaining in his own way IMO. And Tito is so damn good, and very forgotten in the annuals of time. I dont think he ever won a singles match in WM, despite competeing at every one of them (I think) all the way up until 8. Enjoyable, old style worked match IC, and the cackling Paul Bearer adds to the vintage value LOL

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Tito did win at the first Wrestlemania against the Executioner I think...Flying forearm followed by the figure-four leglock. He also beat Papa Shango in a dark match at WM 9...I think that should count...Tito is definitely one of the most underrated wrestlers of all-time...Just have to look at his matches against the Hammer for the IC title to see how awesome he truly was.

WWF's FIRST LADDER MATCH

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5FQNifPbnY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5FQNifPbnY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7BLMVgPTbc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7BLMVgPTbc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This is the actual first ladder match that has been talked about but rarely seen (in comparison to HBK vs Ramon). Bret Hart brought the idea to WWF, but it wasn't popular until showcased on PPV. This match is important, not only because it gave us two stellar HBK vs Razor matches, but its pretty much the only reason guys like Jeff Hardy and Edge got their names out there. The video quality is low, but the match is pretty good. Its tame compared to what you see today, but back then the ladder was pretty much just to climb, jump, and fall off of.

[youtube]IIzY_XY4y44[/youtube]​

Owen Hart Wins The WWF Title

So people can finally stop going on about how he never got to hold the big one. At the very end of the match he does indeed hold that title. I don't know why the decision was reversed, or why nobody has ever posted this before. But it's intresting. I'd kinda forgot how intresting Owen was in 1994. Shame he didn't keep that up.

Was that at a house show; because WWE.com never shows him as the WWF champion listed at no time during time; only Bret Hart,Yokozuna,Diesel and God Forbid Bob Backlund. But Owen did deserve it he had alot more talent than alot of wrestlers on the current the Vince has.

Mating Game with Jim Neidhart

[youtube]w5VmHrcNUvc[/youtube]

Back in the 80s, WWF was known for not only it's wrestling, but it's entertainment. This is a prime example of that. THis whole segment is like something out of a dream sequence. It's very rare to see Anvil in something by himself, let alone a pretty well done comedy bit. The jokes on here are great and a bit intense for the early 80s. It's pure nostalgia and I love it. Although I could go without Anvil rubbing his nipples at the end.

Ted Dibiase as WWF Champion

[DM]x3iy7g[/DM]

This was on February 6th 1988 as Ted Dibiase had been given the title by Andre the night before, only to have it stripped the next day on Superstars. This to me was a classic example of what could have been. If my memory is correct, Savage was only given the belt at WM 4 because Honky Tonk didn't want to drop it to Savage. Had that not been the case, Dibiase could have either won the tournament or defended it at Mania. Either way it could have allowed for the ultimate showdown of the 80s with Hogan facing Dibiase for the belt. This is something that I would have loved to see more often, as I've always thought he was the greatest heel of all time, bar none.

D-X vs. Rated RKO at New Years Revolution
[youtube]lSl6mkkd_io[/youtube]
[youtube]KR3A7tND3bA[/youtube]
[youtube]OlKVdxC7QOw[/youtube]

This match has just entered my favorite matches list. Everything about this was great. All four men really gave it there all in this one. Now I know people thought that this version of DX wasnt that good, but I love this match. Triple H tore his fucking quad in this match, and still competed for a good 10-12 minutes. Then Shawn Michaels realized that Triple H was hurt and stepped his game way up. This may not have been a technical classic, but Im a sucker for crowd involvement, and the crowd was definitely involved. My hats off to Rated RKO as well, it takes them to make this match wonderful.

I remember this match and Monkey's right, it's great because the crowd ate it up. This is also I believe the match where Edge is lining up for a mega spear and has the most amazing look on his face that sent a chill up me. I always thought that was when he clinched his main event spot. These four guys beat the crap out of each other in a war. I was always sad that this feud never really got settled as it could have been epic to say the least.

I don't think it's a good match at all. In fact I think that whole feud was really disappointing. But it's great to watch Shawn Michaels literally grab everybody by the scruff of the neck and tell them what to do. HHH couldn't do a thing. But Edge & Orton looked totally lost. HBK saved face for all of them.

I have always loved that match. Great performances from everyone. HBK in particular, because he took over the reigns and made DX look good one last time and it set the pace for his upcoming program with John Cena. Edge and Orton almost bleed to death to make them look good. Triple H did what he could and you have got to respect that.

Love that match Monkey, just love it. Thats what the buisness is all about. HBK is fucking great, and may be the best guy in the buisness currently at taking care of other guys in the ring. Just ask Ric Flair. I love how he just goes crazy after he figures Trips is hurt, and starts flying around. "shit.....fuck....shutup referree"

*punch in the face*

:lmao: just an awesome match. Blood. injuries. a rabid mob crowd. This was war.

With that said, I give you.. the single greatest promo in wrestling history. THE promo, that started E.C.W.

[youtube]waBUA6Vfxt8[/youtube]

Overall Thoughts: Shane Douglas wasn't a great man, but he will forever be remembered in the history of wrestling as the guy who spit on legacy. He single handedly destroyed a name in the "N.W.A." dispite them still being around today, for him to do what he did then.. was unheard of at that time.

Shane Douglas is one of my favorite Superstars because of this promo alone, and this is why I post it for all to see. He later became a pretty damn solid Main Eventer in E.C.W., and it was with that that W.C.W. signed him away to become something huge.. unfortunately he was held down by Ric Flair. (or so the story goes)

Douglas' feud and personal issues with Ric Flair are far deeper than "I" know of, but if they branched into storylines from what happened in W.C.W., and Douglas' cheap shots in a lot of E.C.W. promos.. then its definately heated.

This was ground breaking for "Eastern Championship Wrestling" to rename themselves "Extreme." And if it wasn't for this promo, you wouldn't see the likes of R.V.D., Taz, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm or several others.

Guilty As Charged 2001: Rob Van Dam v. Jerry Lynn:

[youtube]0Tef_cr0iPM&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]sI7J5uYEq4o&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]N2cA-QOZQos&feature=related[/youtube]

Overall Thoughts: Okay, final match/promo of the night so I can give others the chance to speak/post.

I was torn on what match to post, as a final for the night. And I was dead-set on it being a Rob Van Dam classic. But not the watered down version most of you are used to from his W.W.E. days. So I came to the decision that it had to be R.V.D. v. Taz, or R.V.D. v. Jerry Lynn. And naturally, whenever an R.V.D. v. Lynn match is in the thoughts.. you just can't look away from that.

So then it broke into WHICH of their classics, should I show. Well, instead of wasting more time.. I went with the final Pay Per View match EVER, in E.C.W. history. The runner-up was their Hardcore Heaven match, in which Jerry Lynn picked up the victory.

Anyways, the reason I went with this as a match in general is because R.V.D. and Jerry Lynn were two of the main guys, main reasons, that got me into watching E.C.W. Sadly, I didn't start until August of 1999 and as a result I missed A LOT of tremendous things.

This match showcases the absolute best of the best that both men brought to the table. In each of their contests, they continued to get better and better. They'd find counters to the counters they countered before. (yes, thats right) They're like cruiserweights in heavyweight bodies.

And its matches like these, that I greatly wish W.W.E. would adapt to. Storylines were barely seen in E.C.W., and those that were, were often shitty. But the one thing that carried them.. was their talent. And these two showcased a HUGE deal of it.

Final Note: At the beginning of the first part of the R.V.D./Lynn match, it actually shows Rhino becoming the last "official" E.C.W. Champion, in true E.C.W. fashion.. (not scripted on a match-card, just a random run-in/turned Championship match)

One of my favorite matches of all time, Talent all around. I only wished Vince respected Lynn enough to do something with him if he had him again. RVD on pot in basically every ECW match he had and was still the whole F'n show. I would like to see him back too.

I got to thinking the other day that this could be something fun to try. Wrestling has been around for a very long time and there's been a lot of matches that are forgotten. Since yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Hogan winning the WWF Title, I thought I'd give this a shot and have a daily anniversary match. Each of these matches happened on this day in history x amount of years ago. I'll try it for a few weeks and see how well it works. For the record, I got this idea and most of the matches from another blog that I read.

So to begin with, from 11 years ago, Chris Benoit vs. Raven-Souled Out 98.

At the time Raven hadn't wrestled much and the only way that he would was under Raven's Rules, meaning No DQ. Benoit was getting beaten up by the Flock for weeks leading up to this and this match was the showdown between Raven who was said to be a former champion from "an independent company in the north east". At the time Benoit was just starting to break through the mid card and get some real support behind him. He could go hardcore as well as anyone else could and this was no exception. One of his standard great fights. Enjoy.

See, I've never been a fan of Raven. Most people flock (no pun intended) to him like he is a god. When in reality he hasnt done much. He wasnt that good in the ring at all. Most of his matches were sloppy, and the only part of the matches I like are the end of them. Why bow down to a man who's claim to fame was winning a title in a bingo hall?

That being said. Christ Benoit can drag a good match out of anyone. As evidenced here. This match is seemingly back and forth with a few good spots. My favorite being in the end when Benoit makes Raven pass out from the crippler crossface. I guess for a Raven match it was good. Nice pick KB.

Raven is someone that I view as similar to Steve Austin at his peak. Now before you jump down my throat hear me out. Austin was easily more over for his character than his in ring work. I defy anyone here to name 5 classic Austin matches. I don't mean matches that are memorable. I mean matches that you look at based just on the in ring work and think of it as a classic. I have what I would consider a good knowledge of wrestling history and I can think of only a handful, mainly with Bret Hart on the other side of the ring. However he is easily one of the most over guys in the history of the sport. Raven was the same in ECW. His matches were ok at best, but his character was great. It was so great that it overshadowed his lack of in ring mastery. He was trained by Jake Roberts and you can see a lot of Roberts in Raven, which is certainly a good thing.

Raven is someone that I view as similar to Steve Austin at his peak. Now before you jump down my throat hear me out. Austin was easily more over for his character than his in ring work. I defy anyone here to name 5 classic Austin matches. I don't mean matches that are memorable. I mean matches that you look at based just on the in ring work and think of it as a classic. I have what I would consider a good knowledge of wrestling history and I can think of only a handful, mainly with Bret Hart on the other side of the ring. However he is easily one of the most over guys in the history of the sport. Raven was the same in ECW. His matches were ok at best, but his character was great. It was so great that it overshadowed his lack of in ring mastery. He was trained by Jake Roberts and you can see a lot of Roberts in Raven, which is certainly a good thing.

Austin vs. Triple H 3 Stages of Hell, Austin vs. Hart - WM 13, Austin vs. HBK - WM 14, Austin vs. The Rock wm 15. Austin vs. Angle Unforgiven 2001. There I did it. Not that hard.

Raven was a piece of shit. Literally. Im going to catch flack for it but so was his trainer Roberts. The only good thing either of them have done was the DDT. Roberts had good psychology in the ring as well. Something Raven strived for. He tried so hard to be like Roberts, which is what I think his downfall is. His character was not even that great. If Vince McMahon cant make you any better than what you already are. It's time for a new gimmick. I'm sorry, but Raven was shit. Case closed.

Raven never was meant to be someone that was a big company player. If he debuted today in the indies with that character it could be amazing all over again. The idea of the man with the back, terrible childhood that is coming back for vengeance on those that hurt him as a kid is interesting to say the least. Now once he went to the bigger companies they tried to water him down. What was he in WWE anyway? In ECW Raven't Nest had some great workers in it. In WCW aside from Saturn his best was who, Scotty Riggs? It was an attempt to make him great in the mainstream and it jsut failed. He's always been an indy guy based on his character. Benoit got a great match out of him as some people could, which is similar to Austin. His in ring work never was great, but as a whole I always liked him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back