Vintage Video Thread

The Greatest Superheavyweight in Wrestling History vs One of the Most Underrated Big Men in History

Big Van Vader vs Scott Norton

[youtube]DAsoBwXBOyQ[/youtube]

Fantastic work between two men who were American wrestlers and Japanese legends. Vader was an even bigger legend in Japan than he was in America, having won numerous singles and tag team titles.

Norton, on the other hand, was constantly disrespected in the US by the WCW's of the world. Japanese wrestling was the only one to get him right - they elevated him to a rare status. Norton won multiple Japanese World Heavyweight Titles and feuded with Inoki, Chono, Mitsuwa, Nakano, etc.

So here are two legends - one of whom is the greatest SHW in wrestling history, the other the most underrated.

The Match To End It All....
Or So We Thought.

[youtube]CyrT6dZHJdQ[/youtube]
[youtube]z9DcnZN2Qh0[/youtube]
[youtube]cvl-EgYcOhs[/youtube]​

This match right here was what stemmed off of the creation of the nWo angle I posted earlier. This match was hyped for over a year. Perhaps it was hyped way too much. I remember sittingin front of my TV and just wondering...THIS IS IT? This is what we have been waiting a year for?

Sure In the end Sting won the title. It shouldnt have happened the way it did though. This is classic Hogan not wanting to put over someone the way they should've been put over. Plus the fat that they were trying to capitilize off of the Montreal Screwjob.

I still feel very cheated because of this. Sure they had a rematch at Superbrawl where Sting won again. But it still wasnt done the right way, with savage interfering on Stings behalf. Still though this match is a classic. Maybe for all the wrong reasons. But it will always be remembered.

[

This is the match that started it all. The Last boom period in wrestling (For the time being). Since the internet wasnt as strong then as it is now not alot of people saw this coming. Razor Ramon jumping ship. Then the next week Diesel jumps ship. Then both saying they were bringing in a third man to face Sting, Savage, and Luger. The question on everyones mind was...Who is it? Who's The third man?

Then finally Bash at the Beach came and Hall and Nash walked out alone. It was just a 2 on 3 match. The fans felt cheated.... but not as bad as what happened later in the night when Hogan came out to the ring and showed himself to be the third man. After that happened I have never seen so much trash thrown in the ring ever. Not to mention all the little kids crying because they just saw their hero turn on them.

Then hogan cuts a classic promo saying that they are the New...World...Order in wrestling, and that the fans can "Stick It, Brother". I used to call them the Force from up North. Seeing as they all came from WWE/WWF at the time. I was convinced as a motherfucker at 9 years old that they were there to destroy WCW.

After this Sting goes on to reinvent himself into what I believe as the best Character outside of anyone not named Hogan, Flair, Or The Undertaker. I tell you what this right here is the stuff legends are made of.​

So pretty much I had given up on wrestling after Summerslam 1994. Unlike others, and I'm a big Undertaker fan, but Undertaker vs. Undertaker was enough for me to stop watching the business. It was just terrible. I was 13, and like most 13 year olds at the time, wrestling symbolized childhood and being a baby, and with a match like that, it was getting pretty hard to justify defending the product.

Fast forward 18 months later, by chance, I happen to flip on TNT on a Monday Night and what the fuck, Scott Hall is on WCW. Holy Crap, this looks real. The way WCW played this angle as being a shoot was awesome, and truly a lost art now with the advent of the internet. The weeks go on and Nash shows up, and the hype elevates, and goes threw the fucking roof when Nash power bombed Bischoff of the stage. Nothing like that had been done before, and people ate it up.

The challenge is laid out from Hall and Nash to take on WCW's best guys. I believe WCW had 6 guys picked out, and narrowed it down to three, all the while no one knew who the third guy was going to be. The Internet was running wild, and if the Vbookie was around, Bret Hart would ahve been the man of choice at the time.

Obviously that didn't happen, something much better did. Hulk Fucking Hogan turned heel? say it wasn't so. It was perfect. It was exactly what the business needed and has had me hooked (for the most part) since then. Hulk Hogan is god, and WCW when it was hitting on all cylinders was a better product then the WWE ever was.

[youtube]qlKR-TCykAQ[/youtube]

[youtube]PFus0wS3mQw&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube]5gRBY99D63A[/youtube]

[youtube]tJhFzp17FNY[/youtube]

This match is too important to not have. It really is hard to believe, but this is 3 months after the Warrior Rude cage match. This man is the greatest big man of all time, and this is where he started. Come to think of it, that is a damn fine heel team. Honky Tonk Man, one of the most entertaining wrestlers ever, Million Dollar Man, to me the greatest heel ever period, Greg Valentine, one of the most underrated ever and one of the best to never be world champion, and the Deadman. Not the best match in the world, but still just such an historic moment in wrestling. It's so hard for me to believe this is almost 18 years ago. Wow that's a long time.

I really, really enjoyed that match KB. A few observations

1. Gosh damn. Is Bret Hart not the fucking King of selling of all time?? Honestly.

2. Even as a child, I thought JIm Neidhart being pinned after a clothesline, and Honky Tonk man, being pinned after a body slam, was fucking stupid.

3. Roddy Piper is laborious. Cant belive I keep hearing his stupid voice so Much. IC25 needs to hook it up with some WM 8, and some bob heenan for all of us.

Like I said before, young Undertaker is so damn fun to watch. The Ownage of Koko was fucking hilarious. I agree with Will. Why the fuck would he ever even really tag out?? :lmao: The game used to have much more talent, but a lot of the booking of the old days used to be much sillier

[youtube]FUgWi1vdFwg[/youtube]
[youtube]idxFt7JOhho[/youtube]

I think this is the match you really wanted, NorCal. I haven't watched through to check because, frankly, I don't have the time. However, if it's the one I think it is, it's fantastic. Not as good as their original match, but you already know my thoughts on that. I believe this is the one where Rey picks up the belt when Malenko doesn't bother to finish him? Classic stuff. Well, for all of you. It's pretty new to me.

The Wrestling Observer's Match of the Year for 1995

Manami Toyota vs Kyoko Inoue

This match was huge in Japan. On one side you had the reigning WWWA Champion (a championship that can trace its prestige back further than the WWE women's title) Manami Toyota, whose in ring ability was easily comparable to some of her more accomplished male counterparts, battling with her long time arch rival Kyoko Inoue. So basically, think of this match as the joshi equivalent of Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels.

Part 1

[youtube]nJGpApehre4[/youtube]

Part 2

[youtube]HOnIbCv9Krc[/youtube]

Part 3

[youtube]maQetFpCZJ4[/youtube]

Part 4

[youtube]laIr5eXbchc[/youtube]

Part 5

[youtube]R8kWeSO2Fu0[/youtube]

Part 6

[youtube]QEAuf2sSrs0[/youtube]

Part 7

[youtube]zliiV0J55ow[/youtube]

[youtube]FUgWi1vdFwg[/youtube]
[youtube]idxFt7JOhho[/youtube]

I think this is the match you really wanted, NorCal. I haven't watched through to check because, frankly, I don't have the time. However, if it's the one I think it is, it's fantastic. Not as good as their original match, but you already know my thoughts on that. I believe this is the one where Rey picks up the belt when Malenko doesn't bother to finish him? Classic stuff. Well, for all of you. It's pretty new to me.

gosh fucking damn. HOnestly, I dont think you find anything too much better than this. MIght be the best match ive ever seen on free television. And one of the best ive ever seen overall. Sam I prefer this one, simply becuase im not a huge fan of limb phsycology. This had little of that, and a LOT of pure ass whoopin. Id love for someone to name me 5 things they have ever seen in wrestling more brutal than that gut buster he gives him towards the end. truly cringe worthy. WWE, you need to take notes. This is a fucking classic.

Wrestlemania 13- Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin- Submission Match

[youtube]MD5IyyqjJ_E[/youtube]

[youtube]7IWvD5NioOk[/youtube]

[youtube]FYr3LK3CDuk[/youtube]

So i've been watching the Raws and PPV's starting with the Montreal Screwjob and I'm almost to Wrestlemania 14. During this time one thing became perfectly clear to me, and to all of the fans watching wwf at the time: Steve Austin was the man, period. Shawn Michaels was the champion at the time, but you could see the crowd light up when Austin appeared. The show revolved around him raising hell and just going nuts the whole night. So I got to thinking, where did the Steve Austin era really begin? Some might say it was KOTR the year before and the legendary speech, but I'd say it was right here. Chicago, Wrestlemania 13, against the legendary Bret the Hitman Hart. This match did something that I cannot remember ever being done otherwise. It pulled off the double turn. Hart was the biggest name in the company forever, and had been around as long as anyone else. Then you have Steve Austin. A man that has accomplished rather little in his time in the company, but could care less about what Hart has done. To me, this was exactly what people were looking for. The times were chaning in wrestling, and it was time for something brand new, and that's what Steve Austin was. This match is an absolute classic both in ring work and what the legacy it left is. How many times have you seen the shot of Austin with the blood running down his face trying desperately to get out of the Sharpshooter? This match may have been the one that saved WWF more than anything else. Enjoy.

Survivor Series 1997- The Montreal Screwjob- Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels

[youtube]6gLDr537htQ[/youtube]

[youtube]A6gsb2h5o-Q[/youtube]

[youtube]WFawmDOm3yQ[/youtube]

[youtube]DmHQq-N4EZs[/youtube]

This match changed wrestling forever, perhaps more than any other has of all time. To see this all unfold right before our eyes. Everyone knows the backstory, but the ramifications are almost unlimited. Had this match never happened, Bret could still be associated with WWF, Shawn may never have been injured as the storylines may have changed and the casket match might never have happened, and who knows what else could have spun off from this. Not to blame it on him, but it's arguable that both Shawn's injury as well as Bret's departure are all based on Vince's paranoia. He was so afraid of Bret throwing the title down on Nitro or something of that nature that he turned his back on Bret. On the other hand, Bret was hardly innocent in this situation. To refuse to lose to Shawn the way he did was fairly juvenile, but this argument could go on forever and has nearly done so. The match is still a good back and forth match, even knowing what's coming at the end. Enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6V6kLLWDu0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6V6kLLWDu0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This, and Cena's rap versus the Big Show, are two of the reasons why I would LOVE to have Cena back as the rapper. Honestly, iIcouldn't have laughed any harder at this..it is one of the greatest Cena raps, of all time.

Enjoy.

[youtube]9oUKSyeXxvI[/youtube]

Dungeon Match

Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock w/ Special Ref Dan Severn

Thanks to Silver Vision and their Tagged Classics series I bought Fully Loaded this week. Poor show. But it was from the Attitude Era. But it has one little gem on it. This one. Good little gimmick match. Well, not the best. But something different. The only time that Dan Severn was entertaining in WWE. I enjoyed it. But to be honest I'd forgotten about it. I'm nominating this for The Hart Foundation DVD that I suggested.

Eddie Guerrero (c) vs Kurt Angle @ Wrestlemania XX
WWE Championship​

[youtube]Ja4lKsaYFUs[/youtube]
[youtube]7VhKQzh8CzQ[/youtube]
[youtube]Alx6CMYKiik[/youtube]​

This is one of my favourite matches, Eddie Guerrero (RIP) vs Kurt Angle for the WWE Championship. This match is surprisingly underrated and overlooked. I thought it was definitely the second best match on the WMXX card, after the Triple Threat. I guess it was overshadowed by the Brock/Goldberg stinker, Undertaker's deadman return and Triple H/Michaels/Benoit.

This match has great back and forth action with both men evenly matched. However, Eddie manages to win in true Guerrero fashion: Lie, Cheat and Steal. Untying his boot was genius and something I've never seen done before. Overall, this was a great match that doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves.

This match has great back and forth action with both men evenly matched. However, Eddie manages to win in true Guerrero fashion: Lie, Cheat and Steal. Untying his boot was genius and something I've never seen done before. Overall, this was a great match that doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves.

It's a good match. But both are wrestling like babyfaces. As Kurt Angle is a heel it just doesn't work as well as it should.

[youtube]-iJ9KOVIIYM[/youtube]​

Triple Threat Steel Cage Match
Mankind vs. The Rock vs. Ken Shamrock​

Imagine how much of a dream match this would be today. That kind of shows what talent WWE had at their disposal during the Attitude Era. The video isn't very good quality. But I'd recommend it anyway. As far as I can remember this is the only triple threat cage match I've seen. If there's been others I've ever never seen them, or can't remember them.

EDIT: Can't get it to work. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ9KOVIIYM

[youtube]alVuY2h32Q8[/youtube]

Bret Hart promo on USA and The Patriot. Watch it from the 1:10 mark.

Anyone who says Bret Hart has no mic skills obviously hasn't seen this. Heel Bret Hart was fucking amazing on the mic, and this promo proves it. He shows so much intensity and emotion, he gives the impression that he really does hate America with a passion. This promo completely destroys any promo the WWE has produced for years.

Kennell from Hell Match

[youtube]YO-Vf2WPCDY[/youtube]

[youtube]Pc0_5rmbIuY&amp;feature=related[/youtube]

Complete with alternate commentary from WZ"s own Kevin Kelly, and Mick Foley! This may very well be the worst match of all time. Did someone actually think this was a good idea for a match? Snow and Bossman in a cage, fine. Well not really, but passable I suppose. Why this needed to have a cell involved though is beyond me. The dogs fighting each other is simply classic, and the match itself is secondary in importance. Foley and Kelly trying to make this match into a classic on commentary is awesome to say the least. No clue who wins as I couldn't bring myself to finish is, but just classic nonetheless.

[youtube]IIzY_XY4y44[/youtube]​

Owen Hart Wins The WWF Title

So people can finally stop going on about how he never got to hold the big one. At the very end of the match he does indeed hold that title. I don't know why the decision was reversed, or why nobody has ever posted this before. But it's intresting. I'd kinda forgot how intresting Owen was in 1994. Shame he didn't keep that up.

[youtube]lAWJbjrzUYA[/youtube]

Simply classic. This was one of the only times that I can think of where a skit turned a wrestler into an entirely different character. As OMG he was bland as hell, and to this day I'm still not sure what his character was supposed to be other than tough. Here he became one of the best comedic characters ever, simply for his awfulness. The camp value of this clip is great, and the comedy is pure 80s.

[youtube]RtLuNhZntcM[/youtube]

I remember being 3 years old and seeing this as it happened. I knew nothing about wrestling at the time, other than those two worked for different companies and something just wasn't right about that. Looking back, this was a bombshell. To mention another company and their champion, and to show their belt on tv was insane. Back then you didn't mention that there was another champion, let alone another company anywhere else in the world. The look on Monsoon's face gets better and better until the payoff at the end when Heenan says the name of the man that would bring about the end of Hogan's title reign. Neidhart being in the video just makes me laugh, as he does absolutely nothing the entire time.

[youtube]IIzY_XY4y44[/youtube]​

Owen Hart Wins The WWF Title

So people can finally stop going on about how he never got to hold the big one. At the very end of the match he does indeed hold that title. I don't know why the decision was reversed, or why nobody has ever posted this before. But it's intresting. I'd kinda forgot how intresting Owen was in 1994. Shame he didn't keep that up.

Yes, thats awesome. I had no idea this happened. Another peice of pointless wrestling info for me to chew on.

Now, for your viewing pleasure is the match I eluded to in your thread.

Ludvig Borga vs Razor Ramon.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFi9aE-iiIA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFi9aE-iiIA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyKmgbmJOYI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyKmgbmJOYI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'm not sure where the rest of this video came from. The one I was talking about ended after Borga left with the belt. This was a little before his scheduled match with Earthquake at Wrestlemania X, though he ended up asking for his release a little before and WWF granted it. Razor was obviously headed for the ladder match with HBK.

The match itself is pretty good. Razor sells Borga's power even though he's a huge man himself. Borga was a great heel, I wish we could have seen more from him.

[youtube]RtLuNhZntcM[/youtube]

I remember being 3 years old and seeing this as it happened. I knew nothing about wrestling at the time, other than those two worked for different companies and something just wasn't right about that. Looking back, this was a bombshell. To mention another company and their champion, and to show their belt on tv was insane. Back then you didn't mention that there was another champion, let alone another company anywhere else in the world. The look on Monsoon's face gets better and better until the payoff at the end when Heenan says the name of the man that would bring about the end of Hogan's title reign. Neidhart being in the video just makes me laugh, as he does absolutely nothing the entire time.

What a great time for wrestling. Not only did you have wrestling other big star coming to the same promotion as Hulk Hogan, but it was first announced on Wrestling Challenge. That showed that you had to watch every WWF show unless you wanted to miss something.

Here is another vintage video from WWF. This one is Flair's first appearance in the WWF on Prime Time Wrestling.

Ric Flair Debuts in WWF

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLS23Y8DbFU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLS23Y8DbFU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Prime Time wrestling and Saturday Nights Main Event were my favorite shows when I was a kid. It was like getting a PPV for free on a random night. My dads friend had a pirate box and we used to watch WCW PPV's over there. I had just watched Flair defend the WCW World title earlier this year. Then, Flair debuted in WWF with the belt and I thought there was a chance of seeing Brian Pillman show up at any second. Great moment, great interview, great show.

[youtube]0U1MDK1qwzA[/youtube]​

Some Midgets

Not an important match by any means. Or even a great one. In fact I'm only posting this because of the match it replaced. Before this match happened Vince, J.R. & Lawler sad at ringside and gave a very half hearted Brian Pillman tribute. Vince said that the match between Brian Pillman & Dude Love wouldn't be taking place. But he had something that was more than suitable as a replacment. Out come the midgets. Now I like Max Mini as much as the next guy. But he's no Mick Foley. Not only was this a poor replacement. But talking about Pillman then having Lawler having a good time laughing at the midgets 5 minutes later doesn't look too good to me.

Dude Love vs. Brian Pillman would have been an awesome match.

Earthquake vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts

[youtube]oCMewWTUiOA[/youtube]

This is the match where Earthquake squashes Damien. I'm posting this because when I first saw this I was shocked that the WWF actually let this be shown. In this clip, they don't show Earthquake falling on it and I couldn't find a clip where they do, I guess for obvious reasons. The thing that strikes me most about this is the pain, saddness, and helplessness of Roberts. I believe there was a genuine pain in him and then to see him open the bag and find out that Damien is dead is kinda heart-breaking. You can also see that when they show a couple of fans reactions.

***Can someone tell me how to make the video show up in the post and not the link, like all of the other videos in here, thanks for whoever can help me.

I remember this match. There never was an actual video of him landing on it as the shot always jumped to I beleive Sean Mooney in the studio. Inside the bag was hamburger in stockings designed to look like a crushed snake. This was an interesting angle that always bothered me as a kid. Looking back it's still saddening. Damien was just somethign you got used to hearing about whenever you heard Jake being in the ring. Interesting story that I always wondered why was never done before this point.

[youtube]EjGzbYuOEUo[/youtube]
[youtube]Rz5Sh9irfuU[/youtube]

Rey Mysterio, Jr. v. Psychosis - Bash at the Beach 1996

In an event that gets largely recognized only for Hogan doing the heel turn, Rey Mysterio, Jr. v. Psychosis is a gem that got hidden at the front of the card. This is truly a classic Luchalibre match that is what made the division one of the most popular in all of WCW. We're all used to seeing Rey against huge guys, but in this situation, Psychosis provides a very athletic and consumate opponent for Rey. This was truly enjoyable to watch with a few false finishes and a GREAT finish at the end.

(I couldn't find the match by itself, so the first 3 minutes or so consists of "The Hostile Takeover" promos...forgive me).

Enjoy, friends.

Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior vs Sgt. Slaughter, Genral Adnan, and The Undertaker

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r-0ZIATXV78&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r-0ZIATXV78&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKmRidietO8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKmRidietO8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Here's something a found a while back searching random matches while bored at work. This takes place on the tour that lead up to Summerslam 91. I was trying to find exactly when Sid Justice either debuted or was announced as I believe Summerslam was his first time in the ring.

Its basically the Summerslam Main Event with Mustafa replaced with Undertaker. It gives the duo of Hogan and Warrior and much tougher task, but just seems odd as Taker doesn't fit in with the Iraqi sympathizer. This could have easily been the Summerslam plan until they realized it doesn't work and ended up leaving Taker off the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back