Vince McMahon: "The Survivor Series PPV is officially finished"

I don't know why he would do this...I mean survivor series is one of the originals, up there with summerslam, Wrestlemania, the royal rumble. if it has to do with the buyrate, then he's delusional if he expected a higher one. Cena vs HHH vs HBK? really? you thought that main event would be a blockbuster?

and ANOTHER triple threat, undertaker vs jericho vs show? REALLY?

god....

I think its ridiculous myself for these reasons:

1) Buyrates are low.

Well the buyrates are low because you did a piss poor job of building the survivor series to be a PPV that people want to see. It has nothing to do with the event itself, it has to do with the crappy buildup.

2) The event is obsolete

I disagree strongly. There are plenty of fans who love watching a traditional 4 on 4 survivor series match (myself included). Also, the event hasn't really been about the survivor series match itself for like 15 years. Sure they're are always 1 or 2 sprinkled in there, but they certainly aren't used to build the PPV like before.

My biggest issue though is the WWE is getting rid of all the history the Survivor series has given us. This event has brought us the debut of the undertaker, takers first title win, tonnes of solid matches, the montreal screwjob, the rocks 1st title win, the end of the WCW/ECW vs. WWE storyline. What I'm saying is the Survivor Series is a huge part of the WWE over the last 20 years, its a tradition. This was the event that kicked Starrcade off Thanksgiving day for christ sakes.

I just recently bought the first two Survivor Series anthologys and I rediscovered how good this PPV used to be. The first few years were really good shows. I think the show lost steam when it got away from its roots and started featuring title matches and one on one bouts. They should have never strayed from the basic premise of 4 or 5 team on team matches. It made the show unique and fun. Now its just another ppv and there is really no difference from it to other shows. Of course with 4 weekly shows, and monthly ppvs, its hard to make most of the ppv events matter anymore. Still this is one event that if it had never been changed in the first place would be worth keeping. I hate see it go, but it really hasnt been the Survivor Series in anything more than name, in years.

Im not shocked at all.When WWE made Bragging Rights PPV it actually kill the whole survivor series concept.Because they were just one month away and WWE made that whole which brand is better crap.Or what team was betters MIZ or JOMO's.That just killed SSeries.Then in SSeries they made? really what did they do last year in the SSeries PPV cause truely i really dont remember.

Well hopefully they dont replace SSeries with Bragging rights cause BR is just like SSeries.Or maybe the have something bigger,A bigger PPV to replace it with

wwe is a ***** idiot monkeybrain********** lost their mind ******* bucket brain losers what have they done wwe is my 2nd after royal rumble or 3rd depending on who good elimination chamber is i love any elimination match as you can see my fave ppvs all have elimination chamber concept and i do have 2006 survivor series which is fantastic and yeah sure wwe lost the concept of survivor series especially 2007 and 2008 but what wwe has done is because 2009 survivor series was terrible even though I kinda liked it in fact I loved it they thpught 2009 was a crap survivor series so toe brain vince mcmahon thinks **** we sold 25,000 copies lets get rid of survivor series what a iddddiot evn though he might make up a tinyyyyy bit by ringing bret hrt back for a match which is absolutely brilliant cant wait it is 5/100 compered to ss.ss is the other 95

This has all to do with BUYRATES. This years survivor series did abysmal ppv numbers, with Cena vs HHH vs HBK headlining the event. I thought the builds to the matches were decent, but team miz vs team morrison wasnt ready to sell ppvs. The bigger issue is that they got away from having champions in the match, and went the route of every big championship being defended, which wasnt done up to just a few years ago. Having champions in the match, fighting for "pride" and being the "sole survivor" rather then defending the title is what made this event special. They really got away from this after 2006. To me, Vince is rushing his judgment as the ppv just didnt simply draw. This, outside of the rumble, is my favorite type of match to watch personally. Hopefully they will at least utilize the concept if no longer using the name.

Someone asked who said buyrates were down. Her it is....

"After news today that the WWE Survivor Series 2009 buyrate was down over 25% from the 2008 version, the decision has been made to eliminate the PPV from the schedule and replace it with a new rebranded show in November.

Vince McMahon commented on the PPV today:

"We think Survivor Series is obsolete… It worked many, many years ago. It was one of the original four, but it’s outlasted its usage."

He went on to say:

It’s one of the PPVs we will be looking at in terms of re-branding. We will no longer have that title anymore"

From PWTorch.com"

26% is a significant number, and like I touched on before, I think this completely about Vince being pissed off that his mediocre main event did piss poor numbers. Nothing more.

should have gone 10 years ago imo

in the days of superstars of wrestling and wrestling challenge we saw the superstars only face jobbers with the odd two superstar match thrown in. SS was a way of getting the whole rosta on tv/ppv

with the shows how they are now the whole concept is not needed

ffs there have even be ss shows with out a elination match on it

there are too many gimmick ppvs now

WOW I just read that Vince is getting rid of Survivor Series my question is WHY? Its one of the '' Big Four '' if they really do this then WWE is really really stale, Whats next getting rid of WrestleMaina? Survivor Series is one of the greatest PPV'S of all time what they need to do is stop making new names of PPV'S keep Survivor Series and just go back to the Classic four Pay Per Views but we all know Vince won't do that Oh Well Rest In Peace Survivior Series 1988- 2009.

I'm torn on this one.

Part of me says...they've drifted away from the original concept,I use to love watching the interesting matchups they made the teams out of and maybe it has outlived its time.

Another part of me says....This goes up on the Mt.Everest of bad ideas,right next to the XFL...but nowhere as bad as New Coke!!

The fact of the matter is that Survivor Series has been lagging for several years now. While it is a big 4 PPV in name, it was the 7th biggest seller in 2009 and the 5th biggest in 2008. Bragging Rights has taken over the mantra of having big stars in tag matches, and the WWE's insistance of having a title match on every SS card has meant that the event has suffered hugely.

I'd have thought nostalgia would have saved it. Admittedly, it hasn't ever outdrawn the other three big 4 and has routinely been fifth, but the fact of the matter is that some people have bought it for name value. It was a shit PPV last year with a shit card, yet it still outdrew 7 of the WWE's offerings including 3 out of 4 of the new themed PPVs.

I don't know what Vince Mcmahon was smok'in on when he decided that?!

I guess since Vince doesn't have an heir to the thrown that is the WWE chaimans position since Shane left the company. Vince just snapped in the head! Maybe he's feels that all good that's must come to an end as far as the new era (that is the PG era) of the WWE.

I mean this is Survivor Series! The Undertaker was born there go'in on twenty years!

I don't know what else to say?

I don't know what Vince Mcmahon was smok'in on when he decided that?!

I guess since Vince doesn't have an heir to the thrown that is the WWE chaimans position since Shane left the company. Vince just snapped in the head! Maybe he's feels that all good that's must come to an end as far as the new era (that is the PG era) of the WWE.

I mean this is Survivor Series! The Undertaker was born there go'in on twenty years!

I don't know what else to say?

Maybe you could say that losing a MASSIVE percentage of buys is a time to finally pull the plug on it. It isn't like it used to be, and other than getting some lesser stars some PPV air time it really doesn't do much for anyone anymore. Just let it go.

It doesnt matter about the name of the of the ppv its the product thats being put out.I really thought that they whouldnt touch the names of the big four thats been around since the late eightes.I for one am pissed.I understand that its a new time now buyrates are low but that has nothing to do with the name of the ppv.I guess wwf/wwe fans that has been fans they no longer exsist.Its all about the little kiddies now.It wont be long now that The E will have a timeslot on Nickelodeon right after Dora The Explorer.

Once again, this is another classic example of "The Audience of One" at work. Here you have virtually 95% of the posters on here citing what a ridiculous decision this is, and that's pretty much the consensus I have seen elsewhere, as well ... but what Vince wants, Vince gets because he is obsessed with being in control at all times.

Fact of the matter is that Vince's own failures caused this decision. But instead of admitting he Fucked up, he instead throws a temper tantrum like a child because his own ideas and efforts didn't work.

The mistakes Vince made resulted in this buyrate failing:

1) Bragging Rights was held only 3 weeks prior because Vince is greedy with PPV buys and wanted to squeeze another one in there in too short a time frame.

2) As a result of this, there was virtually no build to the event. So instead, Vince stuck matches on there he seemed people should buy just because of who were in the Main Events, alone.

3) In doing so, he provided two overly stale Main Event matches featuring the same interactions we have seen in most cases going on for 4-5 years already.

Cena vs Triple H (on Raw next week, yet again, as well)
Cena vs Shawn Michaels
Undertaker vs Big Show

Undertaker vs Jericho hasn't been done that often but he had them wrestle one if not two times on Smackdown the week of and prior to the PPV. Smart thinking, Vince.

That ought to make everyone look forward to the match.

4) Vince himself got away from the concept of what Survivor Series was all about. The Elimination Contests was always the intrigue of Survivor Series, and he took that concept and reduced its importance. Those matches should be the selling point and Main Events of the show.

Now, if he is concerned about a lack of a title being up for grabs in those matches, he needs to find a way and put his thinking cap on to work that into the matches somehow. Either that, or find some other way to provide an incentive to the survivors of the Main Event matches.

As a fan going on for 20 years, I have always looked forward to Survivor Series because of the Elimination Matches. It's once a year you get to see something like this. And he threw it all away.

Classic Vince. Out of touch with his audience.

You know the saying, out of touch, out of mind.

But one can clearly see that the poor buyrate was the result of poor planning and poor execution, both things Vince himself should hold himself accountable for. That has nothing to do with the audience not liking the concept of Survivor Series and everything to do with them not liking his piss poor lack of effort he placed into the show this year.

Sidious...I DEFINITELY agree with you on this. I gotta ask in a little bit kinda related to what is going on with this RAW storyline. Is this storyline with Vince-Bret maybe true to life, he is not appreciative of the historic events that got WWE to where it is now?

Take a look at the infamous events at past Survivor Series. Birth of the Undertaker, the Montreal Screwjob. And the classic Survivor Series elimination match. I mean, When you don't pay attention to history, you're doomed to repeat it. Ponder this tidbit...what if Wrestlemania didn't sell well (heaven forbid) would that warrant Vinny Mac saying "Its wore out its shelf life. We will do something else instead" :shrug: That's just my thought. I'd really hate to see Survivor Series gone.

Very well said Lord.

I have been a fan since 86 and i was 3 years old at the time im 26 now and my first match i ever saw was Hulk Hogan vs King Kong Bundy.But i guess being a fan for so long we dont much matter anymore.I was a fan of the No Way Out's, No Mercy's,Armageddon's etc.I know its a new time now but did the name of the ppv make that big of a diffrence.Or was it the Product being put out.

Whats next Changing the Names of the other 3? why not there is only 3 original names left.

This REALLY,REALLY,REALLY SUCKS.

these are the new ideas WWE had on a survey to replace it

Tournament: Single Elimintation "bracket style" tournament where Superstars would compete in multiple matches during the night to become the winner of the tournament.

Not interesting enough to make a PPV, these are fine to have one round per week on Raw or Smackdown, but wouldn't be a very good PPV

Legends PPV: Each match would feature a WWE Legend.

Would be fun to have, but some of the legends would probably be too old to put on much of a techinal match

War Games: Teams of 5 Collide in 2 cages. 2 participants begin the match with a new participant added every 5 minutes. This process is alternated between teams until all members from both teams are present.

Already have it with Elimination Chamber, if they would do this, they might as well just keep Survivor Series

Street Fight: Main Events would feature a 'Street Fight' stipulation where there are no disqualifications & pin-falls count anywhere. Superstars often compete in street clothes.

Ok idea, not the greatest match stipulation for the PPV but better than the first 4

Money in the Bank PPV:The main event "Money in the Bank" match requires Superstars to climb a ladder and retrieve a briefcase hung high above the ring. The winner can "cash in" the briefcase for a championship title shot throughout the year. Qualifying matches earlier in the event will determine participants for the "Money in the Bank" match.

This would be pretty good, it is nice to have a Mania, but they could have a second one too, with rules that the briefcase from Mania must be used before this PPV, and vice versa

Roulette: Main Event Stipulations would be determined by the spin of a roulette wheel.

My favorite idea of them, but would the Roulette wheel be staged, or live and unpredictable, and they just kind of improvise throughout the match?

Battle Bowl PPV: Random Tag Teams compete together - sometimes arch-rivals - with the winning teams being put in a 2-ring Battle Royal. The winner could potentially recieve a championship match

The already do this on Raw and Smackdown with the titles, no need to make it a ppv. examples: MizShow, Jerishow, Yoshi Dust, Khali and Hardy

I think they could have the PPV before night of champions. The PPV could be all #1 Contender's matches, with the roulette wheel to determine the stipulations.
The could also have a PPV where every match has some kind of wager involved such as, hair vs mask, title vs any title shots in the next year, job vs title match, etc.
what are your thoughts on new ideas?

This is just ridiculous. I mean getting rid of or changing names of smaller PPV's like No Way Out, No Mercy, Unforgiven, etc was one thing (That I personally still cant stand) and replacing them with shitty theme style PPV's is one thing. But getting rid of one of the big 4:wtf: Thats like getting rid of Summerslam. I mean come on, Vince is stepping way over the line with all of these changes, he is seriously forgetting all about other people and focusing on kids and those stupid enough to believe WWE is just as good as it was. Sure kids get you a lot of money, but once those kids grow up, you lose an audience, and that's where TNA steps in.

But seriously I "crossed the line" a long time ago, jumped back after the Royal Rumble which I really liked, no not just because of Edge, and now I'm regretting it. I mean I'm getting tired of watching all the old wrestling cause there isnt much of it I haven't seen. Then I go and watch a weekly show and its just crap.

I never though I would say I might give up watching WWE or TNA but it looks like indy promotions like ROH, Chikara, and Dragon Gate are my last hope for some good wrestling. But I'm a mark for visuals with big stadiums and arena's like Wrestlemania presents. And then for WWE to ask people what PPV's would they like too see.

Here's my opinion.

GOOD F*UCKING WRESTLING:banghead:

Truly sad. WWE survivor series IS one of the staple PPVS in the WWE. imo it shuould b up there with the rumble, and wrestlemania. To the best of my knowledge, iþ always has been. This really pisses me off. For 1, if vince used the ppv right( ex. Traditional survivor series 6 on 6) and had good build up and storylines, it would have still been what it was in the '90's. Yes, I kno the PG era is upon us and has been but come on! Taking away a staple ppv? Wow is the 1st word that pops in my head. What they will call it and what they will do is yet to be seen but idl about all these gimmick ppv's. That's more tna's thing. WWE is different for reasons, and the survivor series IMO is deffinatley 1 of them. What's next? Changing the name of smackdown because it has been used for to long? Gimme a break, the rock aint even interested in wrestling a match again. Probobly because he know vince mcmahon is fucking himself by only thinking of himself! Truly a shame...

Vince blames a 26% buy rate drop off...Well the economy is in the shit hole and with PPVs every 3 weeks how can the average fan afford to pay for all of these? The PPV had barely any build and the main event match-ups were stale, recycled at best; the wrestlers in the 2 main events all faced each other in one way or another on cable during the lead up. I used to really respect Vince because he was about working hard to make his wrestling product the focus. Now its all about business, money, Wall Street, and other entertainment avenues and his ego is through the roof. Survivor Series is nostalgia to many viewers. Its gone now. If they booked it like it once was they wouldn't have run into this problem.

Well, Vince knows best (I really mean that, I'm not being a sarcastic IWC fan who thinks they know better than the man that made wrestling a billion dollar industry), but I will personally be sad to see it go. If it's not selling and they don't like it and feel they can replace it to better success then so be it. On a purely selfish level I would want it to stay and I would want them to put main event level talent in the elimination matches instead of under-carders.

I sort of liked the Raw vs Smackdown idea and now ECW is gone they can surely go back to it. Others are just clusters as someone else said. I don't approve of just putting 5 people from singles feuds and putting them against each other, and think it should instead be something bigger. Remember how epic they made it feel when it was Raw and Smackdown invading each other? And my personal favourite of the modern era: Team DX shutting out Team Rated R-KO. I just enjoyed CM Punk getting a big rub that early in his career and seeing all those finishers in a row.

The two main reasons why I didn't order Survivor Series 2009 was because I didn't care to see both title matches. Cena, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels have wrestled each other so many times in the past,(whether it be on free tv or ppv) it has become extremely stale. The same goes for the Big Show VS Jericho VS Undertaker match. There was nothing about this match that was ppv worthy, it could've happened on Smackdown. The last triple threat match I enjoyed was from Survivor Series 2007 between The Miz, Cm Punk, and John Morrison for the ECW title. Why? Because it was something different, and refreshing. Also, the match it self was pretty good.

This really doesn't surprise me all that much because the buy rates were very low for this ppv. Like most people have already said, I don't think it was the overall concept of the ppv that caused this, it was the extremely stale nature of the main events.

IF WWE is only re-branding in the event, then literally speaking the elimination matches cud still happen, just under a new name like Total Elimination or something along tho's lines.

In my opinion WWE should cut down to 8 PPV's per year, keep the big 3, keep survivor series, king of the ring, tlc (hey least we're getting 3 or 4 different matches compared to hell in a cell/elimination chamber) Night of Champions and Extreme Rules, if wwe feel the need to change the names (like they did in the attitude era) cool I'm all up for it, but getting rid of 2 of the top 5 doesn't bode well for summerslam and royal rumble in years to come.

Ive just finished reading that Vince McMahon wants to change the name of the Survivor Series PPV.

I think this is horrible considering this is one of the original 4 PPVs. He also said that the name has "outdated its usage".

I think hes wrong but that's just me, Survivor Series Is a Great Event and I feel this is a HUGE mistake!

Let me know your thoughts on this.

He's probably just changing the name, but keeping the same concept of the match. If you think about it, "Survivor Series" doesn't really mesh well with the over-exaggerated names of the other PPVs. It almost sounds like a sporting event, and we know Vince wants to move away from wrestling being a sport.

Another reason is that he's been using the brand extension as a tool for promoting these matches. Like, there's always a Raw vs. Smackdown element. The problem with that is that the brands don't feud with each other anymore. And we've seen teams fall apart due to inter-team disputes for the past 5 years.

I simply don't think the concept has aged well, and I agree with it being replaced with something else.

EDIT: I'm remaining optimistic that the new November PPV will be more of a wrestling-themed PPV than gimmick-themed PPV, which I can't complain about.

Lets say Vince wants WAR Games and Lethal Lottery why can't he just use them in current PPV's? Take Lethal Lottery. Add the concept to the Survivor Series telecast. It doesn't have to be 5 on 5 or 4 on 4. Go with the random tag teams. Have the winners face of in battle Bowl battle royal. Give the winner a title shot at the Royal Rumble. All of a sudden the road to Wrestlemania starts somewhat in November. As far as WAR GAMES have it at the end of April to put a final nail in the coffin for the wrestlemania card. For example this year war games could be: HHH/CENA/DIBIASE/MVP/KINGSTON vs SHEAMUS/BATISTA/ORTON/MIZ/BIG SHOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back