King Of The Ring for Survivor Series?

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
It's highly unlikely King Of The Ring will ever return as a PPV but I'd like to hear your opinions on my idea of King Of The Ring replacing Survivor Series as WWE's November PPV. Clearly Survivor Series is no longer needed as we have Bragging Rights now and it is no longer a prestigious PPV anymore since the event only had one Survivor Series elimination match this year and it was for Smackdown only, actually the original plan was for Rey vs. Del Rio one on one meaning no elimination matches at all. However King Of The Ring even though it's a bit tame nowadays, still is exciting & has prestige left in it. And even though the PPV took place in June, it would be best taking place in November as the big 4 PPV's need to be spread out. But do you think it should replace Survivors or maybe another PPV? Or should the tournament stay on Raw?

Bragging rights just has the one tag match, that's it. And it was just this year they did it as an elimination. And weren't people up in arms when Vince did away with Survivor Series originally?

You can have some kind of "survival match" at survivor series, and you don't need to have so many tag matches. 2002 proved that. But you honestly don't need to have the elimination tag matches. It's not sacrilege to have one elimination tag match or none.

I don't think the casual fan would bother to buy a PPV with it just being a tournament or tag matches. When King of the Ring was still a PPV, the tournament matches were really short anyway. You have an 8 man tournament, that is 7 matches. That is a PPV in itself if they get enough time.

But they'd add some title matches to that too. And then people would complain if there was a match cut short, or did the double count out, double DQ, so someone gets a Bye.

And King of the Ring doesn't have prestige anymore. It's always been hit and miss.

The King of The Ring doesn't hold prestige? What are you on about, with the odd exception those who have won this tournament have been given the big pushes. Regal messed up but he still got his push to a certain level, who knows how far they would have taken it.

Also as for the comments about having 7 matches, well you clearly didnt watch the later KoTR's, they only had the semi finals and final on the PPV itself. Therefore only 3 matches, allowing plenty of time for title matches etc.

Should it replace Survivor Series, the answer is simply no. If anything it should replace Bragging Rights. BR makes no sense whatsoever, the whole Raw v Smackdown thing is never mention for the rest of the year and Smackdown keeps appearing on Raw. They could easily just merge the two PPV's together and have a Raw v Smackdown 'We got nothing for these guys, let throw them in' elimination fight at Survivor Series, like they had a few years back... and helped Orton get over in the process.

At the present moment when WWE is looking for future stars, the KoTR does a better job than throwing a briefcase on someone and cheaply win the title. The KoTR can help make any wrestler look credible and a force for the future (I shall be ignoring Billy Gunn and Mabel in this)

You can have some kind of "survival match" at survivor series.

If they had any of those matches this year, do you think I would've made this thread let alone think it has no prestige anymore?

2002's survival matches were the Elimination Chamber and the 6 Man Table match. WWE hardly do 6 man matches anymore & the Elimination Chamber is saved for the Feb PPV, so the chances of those happening again at Survivors are slim.

1998's had the Deadly Games Tournament but King Of The Ring is a tournament also and I dont think the WWE Title will be vacated every Survivor Series just to have a tournament for it on the PPV, so King Of The Ring taking over as WWE's "survival" PPV wouldn't make a difference.

I guess the Free or Fired match could be considered a survival match but that turned out to be a disappointment and it wont happen very much. So instead of WWE racking their brains over what survival match they can book other than 10 man elimination matches every year for their Nov PPV, the King Of The Ring would save them the bother & be the best option for all of us.

The King of The Ring doesn't hold prestige? What are you on about, with the odd exception those who have won this tournament have been given the big pushes. Regal messed up but he still got his push to a certain level, who knows how far they would have taken it.

Mabel, Billy Gunn, Ken Shamrock, Booker T (whos king gimmick everyone hated from what I remember) and Regal. Angle and Lesnar were already getting big pushes before the tournament. And Edge didn't get his legit push until he won MITB.

Also as for the comments about having 7 matches, well you clearly didnt watch the later KoTR's, they only had the semi finals and final on the PPV itself. Therefore only 3 matches, allowing plenty of time for title matches etc.

And the later PPV matches still didn't have good time. I thought KOTR was supposed to be about the tournament. If the PPV is called KOTR, shouldn't they really give time to the matches to make it look like it means something?

At the present moment when WWE is looking for future stars, the KoTR does a better job than throwing a briefcase on someone and cheaply win the title. The KoTR can help make any wrestler look credible and a force for the future (I shall be ignoring Billy Gunn and Mabel in this)

I'm amazed at the 180 turn the IWC has had on MITB. People went crazy for Edge and CM Punk cashing it in. Don't remember anyone complaining about Kane doing it either.

If they had any of those matches this year, do you think I would've made this thread let alone think it has no prestige anymore?

2002's survival matches were the Elimination Chamber and the 6 Man Table match. WWE hardly do 6 man matches anymore & the Elimination Chamber is saved for the Feb PPV, so the chances of those happening again at Survivors are slim.

I also said that it having one elimination tag wouldn't be horrendous or sacrilege. And I didn't suggest the elimination chamber or 6 man matches. Because those aren't the only options for a "survival" concept.

1998's had the Deadly Games Tournament but King Of The Ring is a tournament also and I dont think the WWE Title will be vacated every Survivor Series just to have a tournament for it on the PPV, so King Of The Ring taking over as WWE's "survival" PPV wouldn't make a difference

Just because of one year that means king of the ring can be in that spot?

Even if they didn't have those elimination tag matches, but had some other credible matches that look good, that means that people wouldn't buy it still? I know I'd still buy it if the matches look good. I wouldn't judge it on those tag matches.

King of the Ring should reinstated as a stand alone PPV. Like any gimmick, if booked lazily, it dies. If booked and treated important, King of the Ring is a great ay to elevate either a strong newcomer or a mid carder who needs the rub to go the next level. Having a final 8 on the ppv, you get 7 matches involving the tournament(assuming no double eliminations). The first four rounds can be 10 minute time limits, theres your first hour of the ppv, wioth interview entrances etc. Have a IC Title match, and two semis 15 min time limit, then a WWE Championship match followed by the KotR Final. Have it on last so its prestige is respected. I mean, its a 9 match card, and you only have 12 guys on the show wrestling. So you have the best of the best, not Santino and Koslow and Zack Ryder etc. An example,

KING OF THE RING
1. SHEAMUS VS R- TRUTH
2. DANIEL BRYAN VS CODY RHODES
3. EZEIKEL JACKSON VS KOFI KINGSTON
4. JOHN MORRISON VS DREW MCINTYRE

5 WWE IC TITLE MATCH
DOLPH ZIGGLER VS ALBERTO DEL RIOS

6. SHEAMUS VS DANIEL BRYAN
7. KOFI KINGSTON VS JOHN MORRISON

8. WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
THE MIZ VS RANDY ORTON

9 KING OF THE RING FINAL
SHEAMUS VS JOHN MORRISON

(matches just examples)

Solid 9 match card, without having to expose the entire roster. I would have KOTR as the ppv immediately after Wrestlemania, givesthe guys a new storuline arc straight after Wrestlemanisa, keep the momentum going forwards. Id be happy if WWE went back to 6 ppv a year.

JANUARY: ROYAL RUMBLE
MARCH: WRESTLEMANIA
MAY: KING OF THE RING
JULY: SUMMERSLAM
SEPTEMBER: MONEY IN THE BANK
NOVEMBER: SURVIVOR SERIES

Gives plenty of time for storylines to develop and not be rushed, 8-9 weeks between ppvs, gets tv ratings up, and if ppvs mean something again, more people will buy them. there are far too many ppvs now, thus why buy rates are woeful. If the ppvs had matches they were not getting free on raw and Smackdown, people would pay for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back