• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Views on Mexican Wrestling and Promotions

CDoherty

Occasional Pre-Show
I recently got really hooked on Mexican Wrestling, always have been a huge cruiserweight fan, especially in the WCW era.

CMLL
To me CMLL is the top dog with the best workers and still has the classic lucha feel. The only thing I dislike is when on the card every match is a 6-Man 2 out of 3 falls tag match. The Cage of Death matches with 8 guys and the loser unmasks are awesome. Plus Que Monito is great, lol.

AAA
AAA is like the americanized lucha promotion. I like the wrestlemania feel at the Triplemania, and to me they have better mini workers than CMLL. The 8-person tag matches with 1 regular guy, an exotico, a mini, and a woman are pretty entertaining to me. The things I dislike though are the heel refs get way to over the top and CMLL usually has the better workers and guys that aren't really that good seem to end up in AAA.

IWRG
I have only seen a couple shows but it just isn't for me. Is more of the ROH of Mexico, but for some reason I just don't get into it.

Toryumon
I can't really be that judgmental with them as I have only seen the Dragonmania's and not the actual shows. From what I seen I like it but it's number 3 to me.

Opinions on any of the four or others?

I don't keep nearly as much tabs on lucha as I used to, but I do still try to catch some AAA and CMLL every few weeks, I thoroughly enjoyed Triplemania last month and it definitely re-interested me in lucha for the time being, I haven't watched IWRG is a long, long time though. You forgot the promotion PDM though, another major indy in Mexico that has a weekly television show that's usually pretty damn good, they have some very good junior heavyweights.

For me I usually end of preferring AAA, simply because they usually employ more talent that I'm interested in and they usually bring in much better American and international talent to work their shows than CMLL does. I loved seeing Christopher Daniels tearing it up in Mexico at Triplemania this year only a few months after being released by TNA.

As for Toryumon, I've actually never seen any of their Mexican affiliate's shows before, but I'd imagine any Ultimo Dragon-owned promotion in Mexico probably features a surplus of great junior-heavyweight wrestling. I've seen alot of Toryumon's Japanese shows though, usually great stuff.

Lucha doesn't nearly keep my attention like puro does, but I enjoy watching it every few weeks or so, always fun to watch an in-ring product with almost no limits to what moves can be performed inside the ring.

I've only seen CMLL and AAA. I try to watch AAA as much as a I can though b/c I really like their characters and I enjoy their matches more than CMLL. El Mesias is easily my favorite luchador right now. I though his cage match with Dr. Wagner Jr. at Guerra de Titanes was a classic imo. I'm glad to see that they were able to get that deal with MTV to show Lucha Libre USA b/c maybe it will get some of my favorite wrestlers into the American mainstream. I hope Mesias can come to WWE b/c I think he can be a big star for them. I didn't see Triplemania though but from what X has said it was great which I thought it would be so I might try looking it up.

I have most DVD's from both of the top organisations in Mexico but I just haven't had the 'urge' to sit down and watch them yet although I am a huge fan of the style. I miss that sort of wrestling as it featured quite frequently in TNA in the early years and in WCW, it was an awesome spectacle.

I'll get to watching most of the anniversary shows that go with CMLL and then i'll go through in chronological order of AAA's PPV's although i have absolutely zero knowledge of the Spanish language haha. Should be interesting with AAA and their storylines!

Truthfully, I'm ashamed. My fathers from Mexico and I just haven't watched enough of lucha libre as I feel I should. I just don't take the time.

I used to watch back in the day, AAA stuff, and I'd enjoy the crazy aspects of the storylines and the crazy style. But, I just haven't watched enough lately.

The most recent footage I watched was AAA and some CMLL. However, I still need to catch up on more of it. Perhaps read into it and figure out when it airs and what have you.

I'd still have to go with AAA as the company I prefer, though I couldn't say this for certain until I check into it a bit more.

I watch a bit of Mexican wrestling, enjoy the style and find the pace of the matches to be very exciting. Have only seen matches from both CMLL and AAA, the other two I don't think I've watched before. Was a big fan of Mistico before he came to the WWE, he and Dos Caras Jr were on fire in CMLL, although it's interesting to note that Dos Caras Jr (Alberto Del Rio) had only broken into the main event picture before he joined WWE but was becoming quite a star.

I like it when guys from Japan take their styles over to Mexico. The first matches I watched of Ultimo Dragon were when he was young and had only first started wearing the Dragon gear. The quality of the tapes were shit but you could still watch it, and he really did breakout in CMLL.

Jushin Liger spends most his time in Mexico, last thing I heard he holds CMLL's top Championship.

I get to see the AAA promotion on cable and it is quite impressive to see.

Some parts of the show leave me scratching my head? Like who is that almost midget with the dyed blonde hair? Why are Super Porky and La Parka popular? Why are there 2 La Parka's? What up with the dude that come into the ring and almost pulls his trunks almost off and strips? What exactly are the rules? Why do they have referees? Why do matches just end without reason?

I'm sure I would be able to answer some of these questions if I spoke Spanish. Nonetheless, I enjoy it. My wife does not understand why I watch it, since I'm never really sure what is happening...

I prefer it over Japan's puro or a lot of the Americanised wrestling you see in Canada and the USA. I've only watched clips here and there on youtube, but if I could find a steady place online with english translation to explain the commentary, I'd probably abandon TNA and the WWE for a few months just to catch up on AAA and CMLL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back