USA Soccer

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I'm a very casual fan of soccer. I know the big names like Ronaldhino, and Landon Donovan, and Kaka, but not much else. Not as much as I did years and years ago, when people Like Hamm, Lalas, and Chastain were the names to know.

But, today, something very big, and understated has happened in the world of American soccer. we defeated Spain. They were (and probably still are) #1 in the world, and hadn't been beaten in 35 games. They alsi hadn't been scored on in roughly 6 games. And, we beat them 2-0.

I'm sure we'll lose to the Brazil v. South Africa winner (I'm not sure who it is), but it's at least a very good run for us, since we usually suck. We're like the special olympics team of international soccer. But, at least this all works towards getting us a spot with the big boys in the World Cup, where I'm sure we'll get spanked horribly i n the first round...

I'm a very casual fan of soccer. I know the big names like Ronaldhino, and Landon Donovan, and Kaka, but not much else.
Just to let you know then, Ronaldinho wouldn't get a game for LA Galaxy, Donovan is a nobody in Europe, Kaka I'll give you (research Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cristiano Ronaldo. Or don't)

But, today, something very big, and understated has happened in the world of American soccer. we defeated Spain.
Yep, though the result was extrememly fortunate. Spain were not their usual selves, missed a host of chances and Tim Howard (the most famous US player in the UK) had an absolute blinder.

They were (and probably still are) #1 in the world, and hadn't been beaten in 35 games.
Yep they still are, though they were missing two very key players for this tournament (the before mentioned Iniesta and Senna, many people's pick for Spain's best player at EURO 2008)

They alsi hadn't been scored on in roughly 6 games. And, we beat them 2-0.
They defended awfully. The yanks had two shots on target in the whole game. First one Xavi made an uncharacteristically misjudgement and the second Sergio Ramos basically let Clint Dempsey score.

I'm sure we'll lose to the Brazil v. South Africa winner (I'm not sure who it is),
If it's South Africa and the US lose it is an embarrassment. South Africa aren't in the top ten teams in Africa. US should walk it if they win. If it's Brazil then it SHOULD be easy for Brazil like it was last week. Though if the US park the bus again anything could happen.

but it's at least a very good run for us, since we usually suck. We're like the special olympics team of international soccer.
Wouldn't go that far. US and Mexico are in the same league. They are a banana skin but top teams would expect to comfortably win. The US always have a chance at qualifying past the group stages in the world cup.

But, at least this all works towards getting us a spot with the big boys in the World Cup, where I'm sure we'll get spanked horribly i n the first round...
Hahaha I just checked the CONCACAF qualifying tables. Costa Rica are top? Mexico are struggling to qualify? What's going on in that part of the world. Yeah the US will qualify with ease, and should get to the second round.

With it being in Africa (i.e. NOT in Europe) a European team won't win (it has never happened). Since about eight of the world's best ten teams are European, the US have a pretty decent chance of going quite far as outside of Brazil and Argentina, there aren't any world class teams outside of Europe. So don't lose all the hope. THough if you play Spain again they will twat you in revenge.

Just to let you know then, Ronaldinho wouldn't get a game for LA Galaxy, Donovan is a nobody in Europe, Kaka I'll give you (research Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cristiano Ronaldo. Or don't)

I know Ronaldo, the others I can't be bothered to look up. That's how casual of a fan I am, and most Americans are. Soccer is way too exhausting to play, and way too boring to watch. Somehow, it pits the two things we hate the most together.

Hahaha I just checked the CONCACAF qualifying tables. Costa Rica are top? Mexico are struggling to qualify? What's going on in that part of the world. Yeah the US will qualify with ease, and should get to the second round.

The what standings? I'd assume the Latin American countries would be on top anyway, and Mexico won't be good for long if they keep border-jumping to the US.

With it being in Africa (i.e. NOT in Europe) a European team won't win (it has never happened). Since about eight of the world's best ten teams are European, the US have a pretty decent chance of going quite far as outside of Brazil and Argentina, there aren't any world class teams outside of Europe. So don't lose all the hope. THough if you play Spain again they will twat you in revenge.

We don't have a chance. Because we suck. We'll get close to advancing, or advance on a technicality, like we did over Italy, and then lose miserably.

The what standings? I'd assume the Latin American countries would be on top anyway, and Mexico won't be good for long if they keep border-jumping to the US.
Your world cup qualifying groups. I'd go into great detail how it works, but I know you probably don't care. Simple fact is top three qualify, US are currently 2nd, Mexico are 4th (behind Honduras).

We don't have a chance. Because we suck. We'll get close to advancing, or advance on a technicality, like we did over Italy, and then lose miserably.
You beat by far and away the best team in the world, albeit a weakened best team in the world. European teams have a poor record on foreign pitches, so the World Cup should be between Brazil and Argentina. After that, taking the European sides out of contention, I would have said Egypt (but US twatted them) then the US and Mexico. Anything can happen next summer. Christ, even England might wi...na I went too far.

For a nation that likes the stop-start of american football I dont understand why you find 'Soccer' boring. NSL I'm sure if you wanted to and actually followed a bit of it you would find it to be a damn good sport just as I did with the NFL.

Pebble is right Europe have an awfull record on foreign soil so this could result in a good run for the USA. You have already acheived something that not many teams around the world have done. You have not only beaten but knocked the European Champions out of a competition. I'm backing Argentina for the World Cup but I will root for the USA like I have done in this tournament unless they come up against England but England will probably be out by then.

For a nation that likes the stop-start of american football I dont understand why you find 'Soccer' boring. NSL I'm sure if you wanted to and actually followed a bit of it you would find it to be a damn good sport just as I did with the NFL.

It may be start stop, but there's a lot of blood and physical violence. It's also a lot easier to play, because of all the start-stop. And I do follow the World Cup, and watch a little bit of whatever else ends up on TV, but that is never a lot, because soccer is just not that big here.

Pebble is right Europe have an awfull record on foreign soil so this could result in a good run for the USA. You have already acheived something that not many teams around the world have done. You have not only beaten but knocked the European Champions out of a competition. I'm backing Argentina for the World Cup but I will root for the USA like I have done in this tournament unless they come up against England but England will probably be out by then.

I'll probably end up rooting for Brazil again, not because I "like" them, but because it seems like a safe bet to at least make it kind of far.

I saw that they beat South Africa today, so I'm pretty sure they're going to kick our ass once it's time for the finals. Whenever they do the drawing for the groups in the World Cup, I'll watch, and see what teams we're grouped with, but I doubt we'll get that good of a draw. Last time I believe we were with 3 teams that all had whooped us rather recently, so hopefully it doesn't happen again...

I watched a part of the game and was extremely bored. I heard later in the day that we (I guess I say that, even though I don't follow it) won, and I said "Cool." I don't know why, but I am just not a soccer fan. Players barely get touched and they flail like they've been tackled by Ray Lewis. Thats why most Americans like the "start and stop American football". Its physical, and its not people running back and forth with very little action going on. Although I do appreciate the significance of the American team winning, I am still by no means a soccer fan, although sometimes I wish I was.

We were beating Brazil :lmao:

I'm surprised we kept it so close for so long, but I knew we'd lose. I'm just amazed at all the commentators calling this a great moment for soccer in the US. No...It isn't. we lost. It doesn't matter if we made the finals, we still sucked.

They're also saying this will carry over to the World Cup. No, it won't. we're American, and have short memories, and that's still almost a year away. Anyone else still think we'll qualify?

We'll definitely make it in, but it all depends on our group to see how far we go. I have recently become a big fan of soccer. I used to think it was boring and all the other typical complaints. I think the reason I have begun to like it is that I kind of understand some of the more intricate aspects of the game, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I'd probably still pick American football over soccer, but if I had the choice between a soccer match and a baseball game on TV, I would pick soccer.

They're also saying this will carry over to the World Cup. No, it won't. we're American, and have short memories, and that's still almost a year away. Anyone else still think we'll qualify?

You'll definitely qualify. US and Mexcio tend to have a virtual bye to the tournament (though Mexico are struggling). The feel good factor about "soccer" will disappear as the more popular sports get back into full swing, but this time next year I'm sure there'll be interest again. Although, USA actually have the Gold Cup coming up very soon, they tend to win it so that might help. So after that there will be nothing until next summer.

US can be proud of themselves. I think on this tournament showing, whilst you aren't a top team in world football, they now belong in the nearly there category instead of the plain shit category. Teams will think twice when drawn against America in the future.

I heard them talking about the Gold Cup, and I'm sure we'll play well, but I don't think it'll make a big difference. And, you're right. as the World Series comes and goes, and the entire football season comes and goes...We'll forget about this. And, next year, when the World Cup arrives, we'll be all excited, and then when the games actually start, we (as a whole) won't be bothered to watch.

Soccer/football is the number one sport in the world...There's no denying that. But curling at the Olympics gets more coverage and love than soccer does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back