Unmasked Kane of 2003 vs. Resurrected Kane 2011/12

wrestlingfanatic98

Pre-Show Stalwart
I thought I would put it out there, for me perhaps this thread could have been created say 3 or 4 months down the road when kane's fresh gimmick is under way. But oh well see what you guys think. Even though we are now a full month into kane's resurrection, which monster heel run of kane is better? when both were hot then and currently, as it is hard to compare his masked run in the AE to 2003 and 2011. Lets look at the 2

kane's 2003 monster run
Stone cold had problems with where kane was heading, he snapped and in a title vs mask match against HHH, he lost his mask, and following week his hair and his essence was clearly missing. But he made up for that with brute power, and terrifying angles. Burning JR, tempting to burn RVD, tombstoned linda, and chockslammed bischoff off the stage. It did seem to lose it's momentum when shane came into it, he buried his brother and alomost won the world title

Kane's 2011 resurrection
Promo's were appearing of kane being revamped, and freshened up after his injury with henry. Before his injury kane seemed to be bothered with his humanity, that he lost his fear factor and his humanity was taking hold. He was weak getting overpowered by henry, stuck in a tag team with show and he felt even smackdown GM was not scared of him. He returned remasked, more powerful than ever attacking cena. Kane turning cena's whole perfect world upside down, and not only tempting to end ryder's career but seemed to try and kill him, while kane made cena and eve watch has kane dismantled ryder each week. His destruction at the rumble summed up a fantastic month for kane

So what does everyone else think? which run of kane are you enjoying more? and will kane's new gimmick, resurrected kane not lose its steam that it did after his monster run in the summer of 2003, when his new unmasked gimmick started

visually I like more how kane looks now, but I think his 2003 monster run was better just cause he seemed so psychotic and mentally unhinged what with his face not even being burnt and him still believing he looked liked a monster, he just seemed more unpredictable and just out of control. This current kane comes off as smarter and methodical as opposed to the bat shit crazy kane of 2003

It's the exact same thing, which just proves coming back with the mask did nothing.

Kane is just being Kane. It's not the mask that makes him a monster.

I think his new gimmick in the long run will see him more of a bigger threat, than his unmasked run which lost its steam quickly. I do find his personality now more like his AE run, nothing will effect him which he was scared of taker at WM20. With him repackaged resurrected kane seals the deal he will be more relevant in the main event scene, where he will most likely be used like the AE, he will be up there but not winning the title. He is more unique again where this time he wont get lost has another big man, the WWE can use him better has the monster of the company. Esp with taker missing, they need that supernatural unique gimmick for a few years to put fear into the locker room

u know kane and the man that plays kane is such a reliable talent...i think repackaging and giving him a major push cant hurt wwe because the man that plays kane knows how to not get hurt and isnt stupid enough to get suspended for any reason.

No one can make cena look fresh and even jhelp cena alter his character with more meaning than kane. Because kanes role isnt to outshine cena but merely to alter his oponents. actually i think kane compliments whoever he faces...rock, cm punk however are more sean as competition who want to be bigger stars...i hope something cool is in store for his feud with cena...

and yes the unmasking of kane was also good, but this new kane is more entertaining...because he has a message...to embrace the hate is something we all can identify with...in cenas case it makes complete sense to the feeling he gets when the wwe fans try so hard to disresepct when he busts his ass to perform...not to mention seeing the rock not even perform for the people and they still love him more than cena based on the boos he gets.

When Kane originally unmasked he was the hottest thing going. Hell, he was actually scarey. I expected him to destroy RVD and move on to the main events, but that didn't happen. He had a lackluster and short feud with RVD and then moved on to Shane Mcmahon? Seriously, the biggest turn of the year and the best you can do is Shane O mac? That feud killed Kane's heat and after that he never really recaptured his steam. Putting the mask on was the shot in the arm his career needed and instead of dicking around with the bosses son he went right after the top dog in the company and it's actually entertaining. So unless they do something horribly wrong the re-masking trumps the unmasking.

I like Kane right now. he's still the same cunning psychopath, only more vicious, and helping get Cena over, this feud is actually helping Cena alot IMO.

Honesty it's kind of hard to determine as we still in an early phase of this new, re-nounced Kane.

For me however I say Resurrected Kane. This is a huge re-freshment of his charactr that we'e haven't seen in years.

Plus he's fitting in the "Reality Era" with the "Embrace The Hate" line he's going on w/Cena. His scare tatics aren't a thing to pass on. Ex. His attempt to drag Ryder to hell, Stalking Eve etc.

If treated right he'll rise out to being a greatersuperstar than he's ever been. But once again WWE cannt screw-up anything w/Kane. In Interest I believe this kane would find a way to outshine his post-masked '03 version.

At the very least, things are fresh with Kane now that his mask is back. Something about Kane is just more unique with the mask than without, but that may just be me.

I like Kane a lot more since he's gone back to the mask and has his altered look.

To be honest I hated the way they unmasked Kane and it was a large part of why I quit watching wrestling for a few years during that time period. The 2002-2009 WWE era is when the WWE almost became too horrible to watch.

I think both aspects of Kane's gimmick came about during a time when Kane's gimmick needed to be altered. By the time Kane was unmasked in 2003, he'd gone from everything from being a near unstoppable monster heel, a big strong babyface that happened to wear a mask to being friends & partners with the like of X-Pac & Rob Van Dam. By the time he was unmasked, the Kane that'd been a dominant force simply wasn't there. He'd had an awful feud with X-Pack over that chick that was Kane's "girlfriend", can't remember her name, but it ultimately ended up with her claiming that X-Pac basically raped her and Kane looked for revenge only for her to betray him and X-Pac wound up beating him in a whole bunch of matches.

When Kane was unmasked, I was initally disappointed. He ultimately just looked like a balding guy with black face paint spattered onto him. But, he again became a dominant fixture in the WWE and would remain so for most of the next 7 years. There were times in which Kane was one dimensional, would score some good wins now & would be used to help elevate others on the roster whill still remaining a significant fixture in the upper mid-card picture with occassional journeys into the main event scene.

By 2010 though, again, Kane was starting to grow a little irrelevant. He was still a presence and could put on good matches, but he was growing stale. During the summer of 2010 when Kane was looking for the persons responsible for putting his brother The Undertaker into a "vegetative state", Kane delivered some solid gold promos with great intensity and unexpected eloquence. He'd truly moved beyond the domain, in my view, of a one dimensional monster during the second half of 2010. After he'd won the World Heavyweight Championship, he did start feuding with Taker as we all expected. It wasn't a particularly exciting feud as we'd seen it so many times before, but they did deliver some pretty good matches and it was nice to see Kane come out of a feud with Taker as the winner. His feud with Edge later on was good except for the whole kidnapping thing. Despite that, he and Edge delivered some great matches during that time period. By the middle of last year, Kane had started falling back into the role of helping to elevate others, such as he did with Mark Henry.

Kane appearing with a mask again, which I think looks great, makes it seem like, to me, that he's come full circle. He's not the silent, one dimensional beast he was in 1998 and I have no problem with that whatsoever. I dig the fact that he's this hateful heel that uses his head, generally playing more mind games with John Cena than we've seen him do in the past in most other feuds. I think they're using him well in helping bring about this slow & steady change to Cena's character and he can still deliver inside the ring.

As I said, I think he's probably come full circle. In my view, Kane has never been bad. He's gotten stale sometimes and WWE has made changes to keep him fresh, which they've succeeded in doing for the most part. I wouldn't necessarily say that either incarnation of Kane is better than the other, they were just good changes that came about that needed to happen when they happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back