UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson

Knockout of the Night: Anthony Pettis
Submission of the Night: Vaughan Lee

Fight of the Night: Hioki v Bart for me. Technical demonstration from Hioki.

Than do you mind explaining it? Edgar had more strikes and more takedowns, Henderson busted him up with that one upkick, and that's mainly all of the significant damage I saw. Frankie had much better movement, and was better up against the cage. If you can explain to me how Bendo won so significantly than I'll stop.
OK, here we go.

1. Edgar landed more strikes. Too bad they didn't do shit. Hendersons strikes actually did damage. Who cares how many strikes you connect with, if they do not cause harm to your opponent? To make a baseball analogy, would you rather go 3-4 with 3 singles, or 1-4 with a home run? I'll take the Home Run thank you very much.
2. Edgar had more takedowns. Too bad they never amounted to anything. Henderson improved his position fairly quickly afterwards every time he got taken down. See the same baseball analogy from #1
3. The judges saw what we saw, which was Frankie Edgar getting saved by the bell after the upkick in Round 2, and at the end of Round 5. Had Henderson had another 30 seconds either time, the ref would have had to stop the contest.
4. The upkick fucked up Edgars nose, not his eye. That got fucked up in Round 3 (EDIT: apparently it was before. Either way it wasn't from the upkick).
5. Henderson controlled the action for the remainder of the fight after the upkick. Only once after that was Henderson in any real trouble, and that was the punch in Round 5 that made him fall. Henderson quickly recovered though, and had control again.

Benson took that fight and convincingly. Get ready for Bendo vs. Pettis II. So glad he won... I don't know what it is but I really don't like Frankie.

Sorry, I didn't know one strike could win a whole fight for a guy, that's my bad.

Did you miss Pettis v Lauzon at the start of the night? :p

Just kidding man but although Edgar did appear to have a sustained advantage in the fight, he wasn't doing much with it and Henderson closed out his rounds very well on top of that.

He effectively won Round 2 with that brutal upkick and following ground and pound and Round 5 he finished on top of Edgar looking to end the fight via KO. That guillotine he put on Edgar as well was good enough to win that round (I think it was the 4th) as well.

Edgar took the first and looked good for the second until that upkick destroyed him and his chances. The eye was damaged before the upkick as well so like Trooper said - Home Run over Singles everytime.

Tonight Edgar actually impressed me more than he ever has before. I think Maynard fucking sucks, so Edgar was never going to win me over fighting him, and the 1st BJ fight was a robbery while the 2nd fight... I just don't know what the fuck BJ was doing. And before the title run Edgar never did anything to stand out to me.

But tonight, he ate some big shots, got his faced fucked up, and was still able to drop Bendo in the 5th Round. Also, the way he rag dolled him on some of those takedowns... unbelievable.

All that said, I'm just not a fan of the point playing bullshit. While Edgar's way of doing it is much more respectable than a lay-and-prayer, I wish he would at least attack more if that's the way he chooses to fight. God knows he has the cardio to go for it, so I don't know why he's so content with just pitter-pattering, running, and then waiting like 10/15/20 more seconds to do it again. If he trimmed that down to 5 seconds, not only would he be more fun to watch, but I think it'd be much more effective damage wise.

And if I was as big of Edgar fan as Best is, I could probably convince myself that Edgar won, too. His feelings are understandable right now, and I'm sure they won't change.

1. Edgar landed more strikes. Too bad they didn't do shit. Hendersons strikes actually did damage. Who cares how many strikes you connect with, if they do not cause harm to your opponent? To make a baseball analogy, would you rather go 3-4 with 3 singles, or 1-4 with a home run? I'll take the Home Run thank you very much.
See Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz
2. Edgar had more takedowns. Too bad they never amounted to anything. Henderson improved his position fairly quickly afterwards every time he got taken down. See the same baseball analogy from #1
He still took him down, and proved that in this perticular fight that his wrestlinf was superior to Bendo's.
3. The judges saw what we saw, which was Frankie Edgar getting saved by the bell after the upkick in Round 2, and at the end of Round 5. Had Henderson had another 30 seconds either time, the ref would have had to stop the contest.
Round 5 is understandable, round 2 I think Frankie could have gotten up from that.
4. The upkick fucked up Edgars nose, not his eye. That got fucked up in Round 3 (EDIT: apparently it was before. Either way it wasn't from the upkick).
Alright, fair.
5. Henderson controlled the action for the remainder of the fight after the upkick. Only once after that was Henderson in any real trouble, and that was the punch in Round 5 that made him fall. Henderson quickly recovered though, and had control again.
I didn't how Ben completely controlled the fight after the upkick. I still saw Frankie moving, catching kicks, and taking Benson down. They kept on saying how none of Frankie's strikes noticeably affected Benson, well besides the up kick in the second round, the only strike I saw noticeably affect Frankie was a leg kick he took towards the end in round 5. Frankie moved a lot more than Ben the entire fight, before and after the up kick.

Did you miss Pettis v Lauzon at the start of the night? :p
Haha I meant a decision, but yeah obviously if he knocks the guy out, than one strike does win a fight. ;)
He effectively won Round 2 with that brutal upkick and following ground and pound and Round 5 he finished on top of Edgar looking to end the fight via KO. That guillotine he put on Edgar as well was good enough to win that round (I think it was the 4th) as well.
Henderson won the last 15 seconds, and maybe the first minute of that round. Frankie out struck and out wrestled Bendo for about the other 3:45 in that round I thought. I just don't see how one strike in the final fifteen seconds in a round can win the round for a fighter if he clearly was losing the round in the first 4:45 of it.

2 out of the 3 Sherdog writers gave the fight to Edgar, so Best isn't alone in his opinion that Edgar won.

Haha... to be fair, the live play-by-play guys there usually get it right.

When it comes to judging MMA fights, I believe there are two kinds of people... those who judge it on aggression and damage (like myself), and those who judge it by counting strikes, takedowns, and how long someone is on top or holding his opponent against the cage. Neither way is right or wrong really because of how the rules are, but people need to be consistent in their opinions on how they score a fight, especially judges who seem to change their criteria fight-to-fight.

I never said he was alone, he's entitled to his opinion, but for him to come here saying how much of a bullshit decision that was is just plain wrong.

I never said he was alone, he's entitled to his opinion, but for him to come here saying how much of a bullshit decision that was is just plain wrong.

I see what you're saying, but since it's the guy's favorite fighter, I can understand why he's so upset.

And wow... Fight Metric gave it to Benson, who outstruck Edgar 100-81. Wasn't expecting that. Now there really is no argument for Edgar no matter how you want to look at it.

Also, for now Dana is saying Pettis will fight Benson next. Not surprising. I think he's going to convince Frankie to move down to 145; it'll be interesting to see if Frankie refuses to.

Lastly, all this talk of Lightweights, let us appreciate the Lightweight GOAT for a second, who was able to pick up a win while looking like absolute shit the first 5 minutes of his fight. :D :D :D

247d2b4a604611e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Lastly, all this talk of Lightweights, let us appreciate the Lightweight GOAT for a second, who was able to pick up a win while looking like absolute shit the first 5 minutes of his fight. :D :D :D

247d2b4a604611e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

That's not BJ Penn ;)

Bendo won, sorry but it's true. After round 1 it was his. So glad that Hunt and Gomi both picked up wins as well. Bummer that Kid lost and is probably cut, but age in this sport is a hell of a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back