Triple H or Shawn Michaels - Who's Better?

Miss Flawless

Why am I arguing with a computer?
Okay, so I made an 'Edge or Christian - Who's Better?' thread a while ago and I decided to make this one.

Like Edge and Christian, these two are best friends. Their feud against each other was amazing, since it had so much emotion in it. I wouldn't call them "very similar" like E and C. HHH and HBK both have awesome careers, though.

Lot's of people will choose HBK, I know. But HHH isn't that bad. I know some people say "Oh HHH doesn't put people over!!" But, he just did, with Sheamus...

Shawn Michaels - Accomplishments

American Wrestling Association
AWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Marty Jannetty
Central States Wrestling
NWA Central States Tag Team Championship (1 time)– with Marty Jannetty
Continental Wrestling Association
AWA Southern Tag Team Championship (2 times)[1] – with Marty Jannetty
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
PWI Match of the Year (1993) vs. Marty Jannetty on Monday Night Raw on May 17
PWI Match of the Year (1994)vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
PWI Match of the Year (1995) vs. Diesel at WrestleMania XI
PWI Match of the Year (1996) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
PWI Match of the Year (2004) vs. Chris Benoit and Triple H at WrestleMania XX
PWI Match of the Year (2005) vs. Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21
PWI Match of the Year (2006) vs. Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match at WrestleMania 22
PWI Match of the Year (2007) vs. John Cena on Raw on April 23
PWI Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
PWI Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1996)
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1996
PWI ranked him #10 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
PWI ranked him #33 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Marty Jannetty in 2003
Texas All-Star Wrestling
TASW Texas Tag Team Championship (2 times)[8] – with Paul Diamond
Texas Wrestling Alliance
TWA Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[1]
World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Championship (3 times)
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Intercontinental Championship (3 times)[8]
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (5 times)– with Diesel (2), Steve Austin (1), John Cena (1), and Triple H (1)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time)[178] – with Triple H (1)
World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Royal Rumble (1995, 1996)
Fourth Triple Crown Champion
First Grand Slam Champion
Slammy Award for Best Slammin' Jammin' Entrance (1996)
Slammy Award for Best Threads (1996)
Slammy Award for Squared Circle Shocker (1996) Won for collapsing; Owen Hart accepts the award for making Michaels collapse
Slammy Award for Master of Mat Mechanics (1996)
Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1996) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at SummerSlam
Slammy Award for Leader of the New Generation (1996)
Slammy Award for Best Finisher (1997)
Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
^ In October 1990, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty defeated The Hart Foundation for the title. Despite winning the match, the win and reign are not recognized by WWE, as the ring ropes broke and the match was not aired on television. As a result, Michaels is only officially recognized as a 5-time World Tag Team Champion.
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2003)
Best Babyface (1996)[180]
Feud of the Year (2004) vs. Triple H and Chris Benoit
Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
Match of the Year (1994) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
Match of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho in a Ladder match at No Mercy
Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
Most Charismatic (1995, 1996)
Tag Team of the Year (1989) with Marty Jannetty as The Rockers

That guy has a lot of accomplishments. I think he deserved them all. Personally, HBK is my favourite wrestler, ever. He was my male idol as I was growing up and I liked him no matter what, heel or face. (Weird cause I was a kid and I usually only liked babyfaces) I think his "Heartbreak Kid" character was awesome, although I was sad it died down in 2002 - present. After his 4 year retirement, Shawn returned to the ring and was awesome. His matches were amazing!

Triple H - Accomplishments

Independent Wrestling Federation
IWF Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Feud of the Year (2000) vs. Kurt Angle
PWI Feud of the Year (2004) vs. Chris Benoit
PWI Match of the Year (2004) vs. Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (2003–2005)
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2000 and 2009
PWI Wrestler of the Year (2008)
World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
World Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
WWF/E Championship (8 times)
WWF European Championship (2 times)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Steve Austin (1), and Shawn Michaels (1)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Shawn Michaels
King of the Ring (1997)
Royal Rumble (2002)
Second Grand Slam Championship
Slammy Award for Best Hair (1997)
Seventh Triple Crown Champion
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Feud of the Year (2000) vs. Mick Foley
Feud of the Year (2004) vs. Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit
Feud of the Year (2005) vs. Batista
Most Overrated (2002–2004, 2009)
Readers' Least Favorite Wrestler (2002, 2003)
Wrestler of the Year (2000)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2005)

So, HHH doesn't have as much accomplishments but that doesn't make him less better than HBK. (In my case, it does) Triple H is a 13 time world champion and had a great career (still in the making). If HHH retired today, his career would still be as legendary as HBK's.

Now it comes down to 3 categories. In-Ring ability, Mic Skills and Entertainment.

In-Ring Ability - HHH. LMFAO I'm kidding. HBK wins it by a mile. HBK is absolutely amazing in the ring. He always, always, always entertains me in there no matter what he's doing. Don't get me wrong, HHH is good in the ring too, but not as good as HBK

Mic Skills - Tie. It depends on if HBK is heel or face. HBK had awesome mic skills as a heel but as a face...not so much. Triple H was the mouth piece of DX for the last couple of runs and his skills were actually good. (As a face). I prefer HHH as a heel, and he's awesome as one. His mic-skills are a ton of a lot better. HBK's mic skills in the original DX was just...amazing.

Entertainment - HBK. Like I said, he just entertains me no matter what he does. He puts on great feuds. He proved to everyone that just because he's a strict born again Christian does not mean he can't put on great feuds. (Honarable Mentions: HBK vs Chris Jericho, HBK vs HHH, HBK vs Kurt Angle, HBK vs Undertaker part 1 and 2.)

Yeah so, HBK wins it for me. But I want to know your opinions. :D

*I do understand that this usually comes down to opinion. Who you enjoy watching more.

Shawn Michaels hands down, he's a better worker in the ring, on the mic, and in virually every aspect. He has the facial expressions and the pure skill to hook you emotionally into his matches, there's a reason why he's regarded as one of the best to ever step foot inside the ring.

HBK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HHH

There's really no comparison. It's all about an opinion on who is better at what. Overall I always thought, and always will think that Shawn Michaels is one of the overall greatest wrestlers to ever walk inside a squared circle. Shawn has the whole package in terms of entertainment, microphone skills, in-ring abilities, and he's not too lost on the build wagon. He's not the perfect big guy, but he's certainly better than a large amount of the current WWE roster (I could make a list, but I won't).

Triple H is also in a way in his own league. He's one of the best of the 21st century. Triple H has delivered in many big ways, great feuds, great entertainment, good matches. He's a great performer, however Shawn is just in a completely other level, which makes them easy to choose from, but unfair to compare really.

Shawn Michaels it is for me, but that's probably just as well due to the fact that Shawn is my number 1 favorite wrestler of all time - However Triple H is my number 2.

Without a doubt Shawn Michaels, Triple H only had 3 great years in WWE where Shawn Michaels has constantly been great. I'm not a fan of what Shawn Michaels attitude was like back in the 90's but at least when he came back he put lots of guys over, where as Triple H has only ever put over his friends. So inside and outside of the ring Shawn Michaels is superior in my opinion.

HBK. HHH is great and he will go down as probably one of the top 5 wrestlers from the Attitude and Post attitude eras, but HBK could easily be put in the top 5 wrestlers of ALL TIME. He had an amazing career that spanned 3 decades and at least 5 of his matches are considered all-time classics. I also don't think HHH would have gotten as good as he is now without HBK but thats just my opinion.

Shawn Michaels is one of the best faces of all time. I don't care for HBK as a heel.
Triple H is one of the best heels of all time. I don't care for the Game as a face.

Triple H was instrumental in two of the greatest factions of all the times (thank you Santino). It's arguable, but without Triple H, Shawn Michael's career might not even be close to what it is today... Like I said, it's arguable. Triple H gave Batista and Randy Orton their careers, and a place for Ric Flair in the 21st century. He is a general in the ring, and most recently he has given us Sheamus.

But, I still have to give this one to Shawn Michaels. He's better in the ring, and when he's in a match I always want him to win. I am always pulling for him. In the 90s he was the best in the world, and he continued to build future legends going into the newer generation. He's put on all of my favorite technical matches, and I was truly sad when he retired. It's really close for me, as much as most people will want to give it to HBK because they hate the King of Kings. But... I like them both. I think they've done more combined for the industry than anybody else but Ric Flair.

Initially I thought it would be HBK hands down. But then I thought about this some more.

HBK, in my opinion, has better matches but HHH seems to have better feuds and story lines. I'll give the HBK vs. Taker build up its' due credit as I was a huge fan.

But HHH has better stories around him. The McMahon Helmsley era was sheer awesomeness. When HHH dumped Steph at the alter? Brilliant. D-X is a push for both guys. Evolution made Batista and Orton. The two man power trip of HHH and Stone Cold was so well done too. He is not Mr. Wrestlemania, but he doesn't need to be. I think that maybe, just maybe HHH has the edge in this one as much as it pains me to say as I am a huge HBK fan.

This is a very easy decision for me. Shawn Michaels, hands down, is the greatest in history. I have always looked at it like this: Hogan and Flair=Magic and Bird. Shawn Michaels=Michael Jordan. I look at the above thread that is listing all of the accomplishments of both wrestlers. I do not need to read all of those to make this choice. The championships are handed out via booking, we all know that. Shawn was not the best on the mic. He is only one of the best in the ring. But what he is unparalleled in is storytelling. I think we can all agree that pro-wrestling is just violent story telling. He had me believing that he was near death in every match he partcipated in, and would still never give up. I also believe he told a better story in a loss that he did in a win.

Just look at the people who were made to look good in the ring with him: Diesel, Syd, Razor Ramon, HHH, Mankind, Cena, Orton, and the Undertaker. These are all subpar in-ring workers that went over Shawn and some point, and in some of the best matches. Shawn is the one who made the matches. I include Undertaker because prior to Hell in the Cell, he was only a year or 2 from only doing those gimmicky type matches that weren't high on the quality scale.

Unfortunately, I just can't say the same about HHH. As much as I like the Face and heel both, He just doesn't compare. I neverwatched a HHH match and said wow. Maybe there some shock value, but that wears away after a minute.

Triple H is a 13-time world champion. That puts him the same breath as Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler as one of the most prolific champions in history.

Overall, I would say Triple H was a better and more consequential wrestler than Shawn Michaels.

As far as Mic skills, I would go with The Game. Triple H can make any confrontation epic because of his ability to frame the storyline. That's not to say that HBK wasn't a good speaker. It's close, but I think Triple H gets the edge in that department.

As far as in ring ability, I would concede that HBK was better than Triple H. However, Triple H has had his share of classics with Mick Foley, The Rock, and John Cena, just to name a few. In my view, HBK and HHH are not as far apart in the in-ring department as some may think.

In terms of entertainment, I would go with Triple H. HBK may have been instrumental in the beginning of the Attitude Era, but Triple H led DX during the days that Raw's ratings began to overtake Nitro's. Raw experienced an unprecedented rise in the ratings, and that was during HBK's absence. When Triple H turned heel, Raw became even more dominant in the ratings. It was Triple H's work as a foil to Austin, Rock, and Foley that helped WWE defeat WCW. The fans indeed seemed to respond to Triple H more than Shawn Michaels.

There is no doubt that HBK is among the greatest of all-time. But so is Triple H.

Triple H is a 13-time world champion. That puts him the same breath as Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler as one of the most prolific champions in history.

Overall, I would say Triple H was a better and more consequential wrestler than Shawn Michaels.

As far as Mic skills, I would go with The Game. Triple H can make any confrontation epic because of his ability to frame the storyline. That's not to say that HBK wasn't a good speaker. It's close, but I think Triple H gets the edge in that department.

As far as in ring ability, I would concede that HBK was better than Triple H. However, Triple H has had his share of classics with Mick Foley, The Rock, and John Cena, just to name a few. In my view, HBK and HHH are not as far apart in the in-ring department as some may think.

In terms of entertainment, I would go with Triple H. HBK may have been instrumental in the beginning of the Attitude Era, but Triple H led DX during the days that Raw's ratings began to overtake Nitro's. Raw experienced an unprecedented rise in the ratings, and that was during HBK's absence. When Triple H turned heel, Raw became even more dominant in the ratings. It was Triple H's work as a foil to Austin, Rock, and Foley that helped WWE defeat WCW. The fans indeed seemed to respond to Triple H more than Shawn Michaels.

There is no doubt that HBK is among the greatest of all-time. But so is Triple H.

I see it's practically a clean sweep for you in the 3 categories eh Isha? :)

Going by that criteria, this is the way I see it however:

In-Ring Ability: Easily HBK. The man is simply a wrestling GAWD (sorry JBL). He could wrestle a bag a mesquite bbq potato chips to a 5 star match. His matches has always stuck out in my mind while I have to try my best to remember HHH's bouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared on PWI's list more than any other wrestler in recent memory.

Mic Skills: Easily HHH. While HBK was definitely serviceable on the stick, HHH just knew how to get the audience emotionally involved with his words. The man can sell an empty shopping cart to a homeless person. He always kept us intrigued in his feuds through his ability to sell on the mic.

Entertainment: This is the tie for me. Being a great professional wrestler basically comes to how much they can entertain the fans. HBK always kept my eyeholes entertained and HHH always kept my earholes entertained. That makes it quite difficult to compare the two.

In the end I'll have to give the slight edge to HBK (like everyone else) because nowadays I'd rather watch a high quality match than a high quality promo. If this question was posed in my younger days however, I would have most likely said HHH since back then I was easily pleased by matches (as long as my guy won) but eagerly anticipated hearing The Rock speak.

Okay I've always been a bigger HBK fan then a Triple H fan to be honest I don't like Triple H at all.

Mic Skills: Like a lot of people said a tie they are both awesome on the mic and they can be really funny or serious whichever they need to be at the moment.

In-ring skills: HBK wins this one he is a lot more entertaning in the ring than Triple H to me. I mean Triple H is good in the ring but he is nowhere near the status of HBK.

Entertaning: As far as entertainment goes I would say HBK he always kept me entertained in his matches and fueds. HBK was good as a face or a heel and not a lot of people can do that. One fued that really entertained me with HBK was his fued with Jericho in 2008.

So hands down I think that HBK is way better then Triple H ever was or ever will be.

Geesh this is rough. The two best sports entertainers EVER and I have to compare.

In Ring Ability: I have to give to HBK, he is a legend. HHH himself would give this award to HBK. He sells his injuries like no one else. He paved the way for high flying wrestling. His ladder match with Razor was stuff legends are made off. He tried things no sane person would. Taking nothing away from Trips but Shawn Michaels is a living legend.

Mic Skills: I think they are both incredible. Original DX Shawn, hands down had it over HHH. But then Hunter came out of his shell and owned it. Would have to give this one to Hunter, and he has great comic timing as well as the ability to make you hate him (not that I ever did, Heel or face HHH and HBK are my heroes). He is as at home on the mic as in the ring. If I was getting married I would want him as my MC, ah who am I kidding I would want him as my groom.

Entertainment: This is a tie, it depends what feud, and what match. HBK in the ring gives awesome entertainment, better than Trips, but on the mic HHH is more entertaining. But this isnt set in stone. Shawn can be AWESOME on the mic as Trips can be in the ring. So to me it is a draw.

First off, awesome thread!

Next, after looking through all the accomplishments of both guys, I'm calling it a draw. Both guys offer an amazing amount to the fans and both guys have given it their all to the fans. At first I leaned towards HBK, because I felt that he gave HHH a bit of a jump-start to his main event career (DX). But then I remembered things like the Curtain Call and how HHH was the only one punished for it and that evened out Shawn leading HHH into stardom.

This one is just too close to call IMO.

In Ring Skill: HBK wins this one,I never ever get bored seeing this guy wrestle.He is just so good.He can sell better than anyone in WWE.His moves are effective,yet awesome to watch.

Mic Skills: HBK wins again.When HBK is a face,his mic skills are average but when he is a heel,oh boy is he great.HHH is alright on the mic but HBK owns him at it. Whenever HBK talks,I listen.

Entertainment: HBK wins this by far.HBK has had so many great feuds with Undertaker,John Cena,Triple H,Mr McMahon,Chris Jericho and many many more.HHH has had a couple great ones with HBK,John Cena and a few more people.HBK to me,will go down as the greatest ever.

Winner: Shawn Michaels,He is truely better imo.He never fails to entertain me.

Its hard I cant pick one I love them both Trips is probally the most hated man on these forums but there no dening how good he is, and HBK is great to. If we went by World titles Trips would win, If we went by In-ring Skills HBK would win, Mic Skills they both would win So i have to agree with Ferb there both Great and its really Just your opinon and mine is both

Wow. Good thread. It's really a toss up, I wouldn't say it's a clean sweep by any means. Accomplishments wise, it comes down to one thing... Championships. Triple H is a 13-time World Champion, HBK is not. Sure HBK has a bunch of other accomplishments, but HHH takes this category.

In-ring skills wise, it's easily HBK. Shawn has so many different moves and he is so smooth in the ring. HHH isn't bad in the ring, but he's no HBK. HBK is one of the best in ring performers of all time he takes this category with ease. I also thought about this, who would you rather see wrestle? HBK or HHH? Not too hard of a choice.

Mic skills can go either way. HBK as a heel is really good on the mic and I enjoy his promos, as a face I think he is pretty bland and not too interesting. One thing he always has is emotion, that is very important to me. HHH on the other hand is always great on the mic. As a face he is funny, and as a heel he is extremely intense. His latest DX promos were really good. He also has a ton of emotion in his promos. This was a very close category but HHH just barely inches out the point.

Now, who is better entertainment-wise. HHH is very entertaining and I really enjoy him. I'm rarely bored while he is on any WWE broadcast. HBK is one of the most entertaining superstars of all time. He always bring 100% and tried his hardest. HBK gets this point.

The score is 2-2, so who wins overall? Shawn Michaels. He is one of the greatest superstars ever. He is "Mr. Wrestlemania", that is not a title he got for no reason. Both are surefire Hall of Famers, and will always be remembered... But at this stage of their careers HBK (retired) HHH (injured), HBK just slightly edges HHH out as the better superstar.

They are both good in there own right but breaking it down simply

HBK is the better wrestler, in ring story teller, playing the sidekick role, Mr WrestleMania, is better at chasing a title and putting someone else over

Triple H has said in the past, when he's had to have a match after a HBK match it's a struggle as HBK is so damn good in ring.

Triple H is the persona, the mouthpiece, the intensity, the Cerebral Assassin and The Game and the better entrance theme.

He can handle his own in ring against anyone, has the look, the staying power and much like John Cena/Undertaker is WWE through and through, also he is far better at promo's and story telling outside of the ring IMO

Also tend to think Triple H is a much better champion and a far better heel than HBK.

Overall though
I call a tie too :) they are DX 4 Life

DX hands down, oh wait.... damn it, yeah I gotta give this one to Shawn simply because without him HHH may still have become big, but I seriously doubt he would be AS big

Well when i saw the title of the thread, I knew it was be a HBK sweep, and a lot of heat on HHH. But for me, I'm going with HHH. More intense storylines, more grueling feuds, great promo's, and has one of the best entrances/ entrance themes ever.

In lots of ways, it is a tie, but im still going to give the nod to HHH.

HBK is hands down the better wrestler out of the two, but I feel that Triple H is better on the mic. HHH is a 13 time champ, but HBK could easily have been as well if the WWE allowed him to be. Just because the WWE pushes a wrestler and makes him champ a million times doesn't mean he deserves to be. Just my opinion.

No contest. Shawn Michaels is one of the greatest wrestlers ever. Triple H is one of the best ass kissers ever and that won him a lot of accolades and titles but Shawn didn't have to rely on anything but his own ring ability and charisma. I'd even argue Triple H wasn't even half the wrestler or champion Michaels was.

i wouldent say theres a big gap in between the two. I would say shawn michaels but hhh has had better stories around him. HBK had two of the most amazing matches in wwe history with the undertaker, and was in the best tag team of all time(DX). But hhh still has years in him where he can break the title record of 16. But i bet even if u asked hhh whos better he would say hbk.

wow I must admit there wasnt as much HHH Haters as I thought there would be. You cant just call HHH an arse kisser and then not back it up, just because he married Stephanie doesnt mean he hasnt earned everything himself. Do you think if Santino had of married Stephanie then he would be a 13 time champ? HHH and HBK went far because they came up with great gimmicks that Vince liked. Not just anyone could have pulled off DX, and remembering HHH carried it on without Shawn, AND did all of that without Stephanie. And remember the curtain call???? He had his arse handed to him, the reason it was temporary is because he paid his dues and moved on, didnt sulk like a baby. In saying that HBK still rocks the mostest!!! And Trips the second mostest!!!

No contest. Shawn Michaels is one of the greatest wrestlers ever. Triple H is one of the best ass kissers ever and that won him a lot of accolades and titles but Shawn didn't have to rely on anything but his own ring ability and charisma. I'd even argue Triple H wasn't even half the wrestler or champion Michaels was.

if you want to diss on the game then make a thread dont bitch in a thread that people wanna actually talk about wrestling skills not hhh kissing ass which he never has he was in the wwe before he married stephanie think about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back