• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too old for wrestling...?

Kinsey144

Occasional Pre-Show
To start things off, i am 17 and have been watching wrestling since about 2000.

Now my problem with wrestling now is this:

i am not sure if i have become "too old for wrestling" - i rarely am interested in an actual wrestling match these days, it is only really the promo's that interest me.

ofcourse i will still mark out at cruiserweight spots or technical matches like taker shawn or angle AJ. but these matches seem few and far between these days.

Heres my question to you guys. is it that i grew up watching the best period of wrestling ever, and have since been let down? is it that now-a-days there aren't any captavating and awesome storylines like there used to be?

or did i simply grow up. stop looking at the people as fighters and began looking at them as entertainers, so i stopped getting behind them as much?

Do any of you get this same feeling about wrestling?

I don't think I've ever had a problem where I felt like I was out-growing the product. Wrestling is not a children's product, no matter how you spin it. You can make it as PG/G as you possibly can, the premise will always be two or more grown men solving their problems through violence. So no, the thought of out-growing wrestling never crossed my mind.

If you started watching in 2000 you certainly didn't grow up with the best on offer. Wrestling's been in a slump for years. You're probably just noticing it more because you're at the age critical thinking starts to really take over.

well....im 18. loved wrestling since the about 1998 or 99. i still enjoy it. like already wrestling is not a childrens product. people beating the hell out of each other to solve a conflict. highly attractive women wearing well...revealing clothing. vulgarity(well maybe not in WWE really anymore) but these are things that make the wrestling product not really child friendly.

WWE maybe PG, and thats fine, but that doesnt change the fact that wrestling is for children. you cant be to old for wrestling. to young? maybe but to old? i dont think so

I'm somewhat the same way as the OP. When I first started watching, I was going to make sure I didn't miss a show. But then, after about 2 or so years after watching it every week, I just became uninterested. In fact, I remember around the time when it occurred. It was this past year, just past Summerslam. Right around then the NFL was about the begin and I was very pumped for the season, and I had a choice between MNF and RAW, and I chose MNF. Since then, I've watched less then 10 hours total of wrestling, probably only 2 full shows of RAW and SD (and that was after it was DVR'd so I could skip to the parts I wanted to see).

Why have I 'grown out' of wrestling? I think it's because a lot of the characters that the WWE brings just don't interest me anymore. It seems like every guy is white, has a 6 pack, and very little charisma. From Randy Orton down to some jobbers (who I can't even name right now) pretty much everyone looks the same and it's hard to differentiate between characters. Also, I'm a sports fan first, and Football trumps over RAW every time, unless it's a shitty game (which MNF is prone to in the middle of the year) or there's a big announcement.

I've tried to get back into wrestling, but it seems like it's on at the worst time now, when all of the other shows that I'm interested is on. Or I'm out of the house (during Fridays).

"is it that i grew up watching the best period of wrestling ever, and have since been let down?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA funniest thing ive read in days, i actually laughed out loud. dont take it personally, im just alot older and hearing someone say that is just astounding...but i cant joke on you for it, it is all you know. but i completely disagree, the last ten years have been by far the worst out of my lifetime, and considering the few companies and very limited places left to work as a wrestler today, id say its the worst period ever. and it isnt because im old, its because it sucks. 20 minute back and forth blah blah blah on the mic, terrible stories, etc. worst of all...and i really mean WORST OF ALL...is the "younger talent" movement. let me explain:

when i was a kid and as far as the late 90's you didnt see 22 year old kids wrestling in wwe. thats where the elite worked. where legends lived. by the time they got to wwe they were stars elsewhere and known and more importantly, they already knew how to wrestle, work a crowd, talk on the mic, etc and he brought with him to the wwe a history, a character and a fanbase whether it be in minnesota or new york or georgia or wherever.

now i have to watch people get thrown on tv before they are ready, then i have to watch them go through their growing pains and learn to get comfortable. i should be seeing that in TNA...not WWE. or at least on NXT but NXT isnt a wrestling show its a ...well i dont know what the fuck it is. not even going to try and describe that mess. my point is by the time these guys are decent enough for me to give them credit or even my attention im already sick of them, i have seen them win 5 out of the countless wwe titles floating around, seen them be a good guy and a bad guy....what else is there to look forward to for the next 5 years in wwe? nothing. which is why i cant get invested in morrison and kofi and swagger and del rios and the nexus slobs...i could go on and on. why do you think people are bored of cena? why is randy orton getting next to no reaction from any crowd? because we have seen them do it all over the years, win titles, do every type of match and now they have been around for 7-8 years they can actually be called veterans now...but who gives a shit? they are wrestling completely inexperienced kids. am i supposed to be excited for the future waiting for cena to pass the torch to alex riley? or yoshi tatsu? i can only imagine how bad the biz will be when the current vets go away and the young guys become the veterans...

nexus was a way for wwe to force young guys down our throat but in the same mocve they hurt their own credibility and now they are scratching their heads wondering why? LOL...you bring in a group of rookies and a reality show contestant and have them destroy your biggest star, destroy the ring and instill so much fear in the locker room that when nexus attacked, no one came out to help. nor for cena. not for orton. not for taker. not for vince. when you sell your product as the best there is in the world and then script it to get owned by a bunch of rookies, its going to hurt your business for years to come. why should i watch wwe when apparently fcw is the place to watch since they create rookie gods who can step in and own wwe main event superstars.

FCW: Where the Gods play.

just to clarify to some of you. when i say i started watching in 2000 it means i caught the end of the attitude era.

WM 17 was my first mania

this is why i say i watched the greatest period.

As someone who has been watching on and off for 20 years, I have increasingly been feeling like I'm getting too old for it recently and the move to PG and the pandering to kids has only made it worse.
I miss the days of "Anything can happen" which have been replaced by "What happens is dependant on t-shirt sales" and I miss the various characters who have now been replaced by bad actors reading from a script.

Honestly man, I started watching 6 years ago. I haven't caught every Raw, Smackdown, Superstars, NXT, PPV, ECW, Heat, or Velocity, or even every live show in my city. There were times when I would go months without thinking about wrestling. I went off to college and didn't watch it. I would keep up with the results, that's about it. But now that I'm home with my parents (taking a semester off to work), I'm back in. You just have to find that spark to watch it again, it may take a while but it will come back.

I been watching wrestling since 1978, I remember watching wwf,awa,nwa,& uwa, In the 80's it was wwf, wccw, nwa, & awa, In the 90's it was WWF, wwc,wcw & cmll, And you guest it in the 2000's I'm still watching. I see it as entertainment just like every other sport only difference its script. I think every era I watch had it up's and down's but I do have great memories watching with my grandfather and now my son.
1. In 1978 I was just amaze of the fighting.
2. In the 80's it was the 1st Andre vs Hogan at Shea Stadium (1980),& when hogan beat the Iron sheik at MSG (84).
3. In the 90's Hogan Vs Warrior Mania 6 & NWO (96).
4. In the 2000's Rock vs Hogan, HBK vs Taker (1st) and Vince buying ECW & WCW.

Ive been watching wrestline since like 1990 and Im now 27 years old and I still faithfully watch it... Over the yers I have quit watching here and there but always found something that interested me to start watching again, usually Wrestlemania time always got me back in it, now days theirs really nothing to watch so I catch every Raw and have for about 3 years straight now...

I actually started as a kid watching the NWA stuff on TBS back when it was the superstation (so a while ago, I'm turning 42 in March). after awhile I lost interest and didn't come back until around the ECW/WCW/WWF attitude era thanks to friends who were into it at the time. And I've watched on and off since, and have been into the current WWE, for most of it on and off.

I don't see there being an age limit as much as ebbs and flows with the product. Sometimes I'm really into what they're doing and sometimes I'm not. But age never really factors in for me.

To start things off, i am 17 and have been watching wrestling since about 2000.

Now my problem with wrestling now is this:

i am not sure if i have become "too old for wrestling" - i rarely am interested in an actual wrestling match these days, it is only really the promo's that interest me.

ofcourse i will still mark out at cruiserweight spots or technical matches like taker shawn or angle AJ. but these matches seem few and far between these days.

Heres my question to you guys. is it that i grew up watching the best period of wrestling ever, and have since been let down? is it that now-a-days there aren't any captavating and awesome storylines like there used to be?

or did i simply grow up. stop looking at the people as fighters and began looking at them as entertainers, so i stopped getting behind them as much?

Do any of you get this same feeling about wrestling?

To old at 17... to young to vote or drink but to old to watch wrestling? It sounds like you've just gotten old enough to get cynical.

You've said it yourself - you still enjoy the stuff your meant to, the promos and the quality matches. Why your enjoyment is diminishing is probably because, like many other fans, today's storylines are rarely fresh - WWe have gotten complacent and rarely push the boat out and TNA are trying their damnest to recapture the Monday Night War/ Attitude era. While I recognise this, when I watch Kurt Angle put on a clinic, or see the MMG go at it with BMI or feel the hairs rise on the back of my neck to the Rock coming out on RAW - it makes up for Joe's unexplained abduction or Kaval getting packaged as LayCools lackey.

You haven't gotten to old for wrestling, my young friend, you've gotten old enough to not just accept lack lustre products.

To old at 17... to young to vote or drink but to old to watch wrestling? It sounds like you've just gotten old enough to get cynical.

You've said it yourself - you still enjoy the stuff your meant to, the promos and the quality matches. Why your enjoyment is diminishing is probably because, like many other fans, today's storylines are rarely fresh - WWe have gotten complacent and rarely push the boat out and TNA are trying their damnest to recapture the Monday Night War/ Attitude era. While I recognise this, when I watch Kurt Angle put on a clinic, or see the MMG andgo at it with BMI or feel the hairs rise on the back of my neck to the Rock coming out on RAW - it makes up for Joe's unexplained abduction or Kaval getting packaged as LayCools lackey.

You haven't gotten to old for wrestling, my young friend, you've gotten old enough to not just accept lack lustre products.

i think you have summed it up well for me. i too enjoy the things you mentioned and have watched the rocks return about 5 times this week, and it still gives me that same, special shiver that i used to get.

i think you are right that i have become cynical and no longer will accept the crap, which is the majority these days, that WWE and TNA put infront of me.

I've Been watching since 1997, was watching religiously during the attitude era, though by about end of 2002 beginning of 2003, i just found myself not checking the product out as much. TNA came onto the scene with them weekly PPV's and my interest went up a bit, mainly cause there was a new company finally on TV, (Well in Australia anyway), but TNA quickly proved it worth.

I've gotten to the stage now where i will read the results on Wrestlezone without actually watching the shows much, unless the results show something good, (i.e the recent HBK vs Jericho fued, HBK vs Taker), something that i shouldn't miss as a fan, then i will try to track the episode down just to watch it. While not as good as watching live, at least i'm not fully missing out. Around Rumble to Wrestlemania though, i'm usually trying to watch as much as i can, which usually results with Me and other Mates who are Wrestling fans always organising Wrestlemania at someone's house as a Yearly Event. Unless something MUST SEE happens during the rest of the year i keep up with it via results and the forums. Occasionally, downloading the PPVs (before anyone comments i'm not pay near $80 Australian just to get the the channels on just to watch Wrestling, as much as i like wrestling). So i will download them occasionally if there is a match i want to see etc.

But for the past few years its been a lot of the same, Cena wins nearly everything, and the product overall is stale most of the year, except for the magic 3-4 months of Jan-April, i don't know if it's the expectation of Wrestlemania but its the best 4 months for wrestling, (well most years, besides HBK vs Taker at WM25, nothing else really was that great, it wasn't all bad but that WM wasn't great).

This year has been excellent so far, but it will be interesting to see if WWE can maintain the momentum all year long for once, last year did pick up a bit though.

As for TNA will be interesting to see if they do anything good at all, don't get me wrong i do check it out on occasion and i read the results but the constant complaints a lot of other fans have about TNA i agree with, to many Turns, and storylines that make no sense etc, But i do check it out.

But overall i do find myself watching less and less wrestling overall each year, unless a MUST SEE/Decent Fued occurs.

I am 24 and am constantly getting told by my girlfriend (22), brother (21) and my parents that I am too old for watching wrestling and "when will you grow out of that, its so childish and pathetic". It has got to the stage where my girlfriend will refuse to be in the room if wrestling is on the TV and will walk off if I mention anything to do with the business.

I don't think I am growing out of it, although hardly any of my friends watch it any more. I don't enjoy the current product as much, and tend to watch more DVD's of past matches and former wrestlers than the current output of WWE. I do try to catch TNA whenever I can, but tend to watch alot of it on fast-forward, stopping if someone I am interested in seeing is on screen, or if something good happens in the ring.

I do believe that my interest in the current product will increase again over time, as new wrestlers gain experience and improve both on the mic and in the ring. The business is changing right now, with the old guard beginning to move aside and new talents beginning to shine. It is an exciting time, and I will almost certainly be watching when these young stars take over from the experienced veterans and carry the WWE and TNA into the future.

I've recently reached my 30's and have been following American wrestling since about 1990 thanks largely to the influence of my older brother and his PWI magazines. I was 9 and hooked by the larger than life characters on display on the American wrestling circuit. Of course, at that age and in that era, I believed that wrestling was 'real'.

Prior to the influx of American wrestling on our TV screens, I was a big follower of the classic British wrestling that was forced on our television screens by my Gran, who used to come around our house for dinner on a Sunday. Thanks to her I was subjected to such greats as Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki, Rollerball Rocco and Skull Murphy. The transition from here to now was inevitable.

I think to answer your question, you are never too old for wrestling. Your understanding and appreciation of the sport and its stars just changes as you get older. You are more aware of the tricks of the trade and so on. I have followed non stop since my first introduction and there have been things I've liked and not liked, things I've understood and not understood, things I've respected and things I think have gone too far. But it's purely a fantasy world to lose yourself in. I've had my knockers, I've been called sad. It's horses for courses I guess, and me watching wrestling is no different to people who get their kicks and lose themselves in the fantasy worlds of Eastenders or Coronation Street (British soaps).

As someone who started watching back in 1977 and used to buy all the wrestling mags every month I grew out of the current product 10 years ago. I still watch old school wrestling on YOUTUBE and the tapes that I have but I can't watch "Sports Entertainment". I do keep up with what's going on in the business but I don't watch.

I love MMA because it's everything that Pro Wrestling used to be: 2 guys fighting to see who's the best, titles that actually mean something, sometimes there's a fight to settle a conflict between 2 men, and it's real ! Sports Entertainment looks more like a performance, guys and gals reciting lines, it's not the Pro Wrestling that I grew up with !

I don't think there's a set age where you become to old for wrestling, for me it was 32, but it seems like the product is clearly not reaching you anymore.

I am 24 and am constantly getting told by my girlfriend (22), brother (21) and my parents that I am too old for watching wrestling and "when will you grow out of that, its so childish and pathetic". It has got to the stage where my girlfriend will refuse to be in the room if wrestling is on the TV and will walk off if I mention anything to do with the business.

I don't think I am growing out of it, although hardly any of my friends watch it any more. I don't enjoy the current product as much, and tend to watch more DVD's of past matches and former wrestlers than the current output of WWE. I do try to catch TNA whenever I can, but tend to watch alot of it on fast-forward, stopping if someone I am interested in seeing is on screen, or if something good happens in the ring.

I do believe that my interest in the current product will increase again over time, as new wrestlers gain experience and improve both on the mic and in the ring. The business is changing right now, with the old guard beginning to move aside and new talents beginning to shine. It is an exciting time, and I will almost certainly be watching when these young stars take over from the experienced veterans and carry the WWE and TNA into the future.

Out of curiosity, do your family and girlfriend watch soap operas? Break down a soap opera and wrestling makes perfect sense in comparison, even TNA's writing is more logical than all the crap that happens in 'The Street' or 'The Square' or 'The Dales'. What about your 21yo bro - does he enjoy action movies? The fight scenes in these are all camera angles, sound effects and stuntmen or CGI.

I think another issue with being a wrestling fan (and it can translate to other sports too, but they have off seasons so not as regular) is burnout. Think about it, in a non PPV week, we have NINE hours of original programming - six by WWe and three by TNA. Add onto that (if your dedicated) wrestling mags, the IWC and PPV and you could be spending a second job's amount of time following sports e.

But far from the 'Smarks' or 'Cynics' we're paintbrushed as, most IWC members like ourselves are honest fans who praise what we like, criticise what we don't and stand up for what we love (be it company, storyline, wrestler or beliefs). To me that is the ultimate sign of maturity, being you.

Ok, I commented on a similar post such as this before, but it appears I must do so again for the sake of our younger demographic.

"is it that i grew up watching the best period of wrestling ever, and have since been let down?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA funniest thing ive read in days, i actually laughed out loud. dont take it personally, im just alot older and hearing someone say that is just astounding...but i cant joke on you for it, it is all you know. but i completely disagree, the last ten years have been by far the worst out of my lifetime, and considering the few companies and very limited places left to work as a wrestler today, id say its the worst period ever. and it isnt because im old, its because it sucks. 20 minute back and forth blah blah blah on the mic, terrible stories, etc. worst of all...and i really mean WORST OF ALL...is the "younger talent" movement. let me explain:

I'm older too. Grew up watching the 80's boom, etc. etc. But your comments on the youth movement are horribly misguided.

when i was a kid and as far as the late 90's you didnt see 22 year old kids wrestling in wwe. thats where the elite worked. where legends lived. by the time they got to wwe they were stars elsewhere and known and more importantly, they already knew how to wrestle, work a crowd, talk on the mic, etc and he brought with him to the wwe a history, a character and a fanbase whether it be in minnesota or new york or georgia or wherever.

That's exactly the point. There were territories. You didn't have an indy fed here, a local fed here, you had established territories that were on leveler playing fields. For somebody to be desirable in one territory, they were normally already tested and pushed in the ME in another territory. You do not have that anymore, so you cannot complain that people aren't being brought in already established. Where are they going to get bigger time exposure? Yokeltown, PA? Tinycommunity, MN? Backwoods, ID?

now i have to watch people get thrown on tv before they are ready, then i have to watch them go through their growing pains and learn to get comfortable. i should be seeing that in TNA...not WWE. or at least on NXT but NXT isnt a wrestling show its a ...well i dont know what the fuck it is. not even going to try and describe that mess. my point is by the time these guys are decent enough for me to give them credit or even my attention im already sick of them, i have seen them win 5 out of the countless wwe titles floating around, seen them be a good guy and a bad guy....what else is there to look forward to for the next 5 years in wwe? nothing. which is why i cant get invested in morrison and kofi and swagger and del rios and the nexus slobs...i could go on and on. why do you think people are bored of cena? why is randy orton getting next to no reaction from any crowd? because we have seen them do it all over the years, win titles, do every type of match and now they have been around for 7-8 years they can actually be called veterans now...but who gives a shit? they are wrestling completely inexperienced kids. am i supposed to be excited for the future waiting for cena to pass the torch to alex riley? or yoshi tatsu? i can only imagine how bad the biz will be when the current vets go away and the young guys become the veterans...

And you call yourself a wrestling fan. Shame. As long as there are interesting personalities, some decent work rates, fresh potential, and a passion for the business, it's going to be interesting and exciting.

I'm enjoying the youth movement immensely. It's not about "putting up w/growing pains", it's about watching somebody you find intriguing or interesting grow and mature into the person you eventually love. Were we immediately impressed and throwing legend status on Hunter Hearst Helmsley "The Blueblood"? Did we always think that surfer dude Sting was going to someday become the living embodiment of Iconic status and evolve into a gimmick based on a movie w/long hair, face paint, and a trenchcoat? Did the people watching AWA think Hogan was going to literally explode and define an era? Fuck, no we didn't.

Even the 80's had its share of new blood. But we loved watching the paths these (and others) embarked on and now love to look back on the early days as well as the present ones. I'm enjoying people such as Drew, Kofi, Morrison, Bryan (now, he's kinda grown on me), Swagger, Del Rio, Miz, Sheamus, Barrett, the list goes on. I'm even big on Crimson in TNA. He has a great personality/character and a look and attitude that definitely gives off a vibe that he will be a player for a long time to come.

nexus was a way for wwe to force young guys down our throat but in the same mocve they hurt their own credibility and now they are scratching their heads wondering why? LOL...you bring in a group of rookies and a reality show contestant and have them destroy your biggest star, destroy the ring and instill so much fear in the locker room that when nexus attacked, no one came out to help. nor for cena. not for orton. not for taker. not for vince. when you sell your product as the best there is in the world and then script it to get owned by a bunch of rookies, its going to hurt your business for years to come. why should i watch wwe when apparently fcw is the place to watch since they create rookie gods who can step in and own wwe main event superstars.

I fail to see how the Nexus storyline was bad. It brought fresh faces into the spotlight in a believable way (in a group, or pack, mentality) and went over very well. It was extremely logical. Instead of each guy trying to come in and "get over" individually which would not only have not worked but would not have made sense since they were so new, they came in as a collective unit which gave them an edge over bigger guys. You say you're a "veteran" wrestling fan, but you sound like a noob. Wrestling has had its share of ups and downs before and always will. And we, as fans, are normally there through it all.

People need to realize that the business is in the growing phase. Trying out new faces before the present faces become past, or old, faces. It's at that critical juncture just as it has been before and as it most likely will be again in the future. If you think about the Rock and Stone Cold, did they just magically pop up on the screen in their personas? The Rock was the epitome of babyface in his debut and initially got booed out of the building and endured chants of "Die Rocky Die" because people legitimately hated his ass so bad. Stone Cold was the infamous "Ringmaster" in the WWE. For fuck's sake, I really don't see how a youth movement is any different than the growth process these other guys (now legends) had to go through before coming into their own.

For the OP, I have this to say. No, you are not too old. You grew up initially watching the Attitude Era, just as I grew up watching the guys that are HOFers or Legends now. I also went through the Attitude Era and enjoyed it for what it was. But do not let the affection of the old outweigh the enjoyment and the excitement of the new. Don't let what you know and hold dear (which yes, I still reminisce about the glory days of my youth watching all of the colorful characters I loved) keep you from seeing the big picture and enjoying what is around now for what it is. Just as I enjoyed the time of the Attitude Era I am now enjoying the PG era. It's something that creatively challenges them and I think that's rewarding in the long run.

Don't let people make you feel childish or silly by watching wrestling. If they do, point out the numerous celebrities and sports stars that watch it and attend shows. If it's a female, compare it to her sappy soap operas or drama shows. Tell your friends it's like watching an action show/movie but w/the actors doing their own stunts. Remind them it has a rich history, with great stories and lives behind the scenes, and about the sacrifice the talents make in their personal lives and with their bodies. It's actually a very commendable sport if you take the time to delve into it.

Honestly, it could be that you grew up. It also could be that you're just not as devoted as you might have previously thought. Nonetheless, I don't think that's the case.

Honestly, I think you're doing what a lot of fans do. You're comparing. You should just appreciate the product for what it is. Flawed, but can be fun if watched in a normal way.

Just watch it for the spectacle. Watch it for the brilliant matches that DO come up. Watch it for the promos. Watch it for the cleavage. Watch it for the stupid mistakes. Have a good time with it.

I have no idea man. I am 17 years old as well and I LOVE wrestling! In fact, I spent my entire day watching wrestling matches and posting on Wrestlezone. I just started watching wrestling in 2008 and it is weird because everyone else got into wrestling when they were really young. I did not watch wrestling until I was a teenager. I had always heard about wrestling and had owned a wrestling game for the N64, but I had never watched it on tv. Anyway, Perhaps age has something to do with it, or perhaps it is just boring now. Hey perhaps you are just not into it anymore and your tastes in entertainment have just changed. In other words, it may not be anything to do with the quality of the wrestling or the fact that being older makes wrestling suck.

first off thank you. this is a prime example of a wz poster. "lets not talk about the topic, lets bash the person who doesnt think like me!" fine. whatever.

UltimateHitman said:
Ok, I commented on a similar post such as this before, but it appears I must do so again for the sake of our younger demographic.
I'm older too. Grew up watching the 80's boom, etc. etc. But your comments on the youth movement are horribly misguided.

well thanks for being so specific on where i was wrong. funny how the next thing you say is im right about how the business was lol:

UltimateHitman said:
That's exactly the point. There were territories. You didn't have an indy fed here, a local fed here, you had established territories that were on leveler playing fields. For somebody to be desirable in one territory, they were normally already tested and pushed in the ME in another territory. You do not have that anymore, so you cannot complain that people aren't being brought in already established. Where are they going to get bigger time exposure? Yokeltown, PA? Tinycommunity, MN? Backwoods, ID?

i never said the business should be worked the same way today. it cant be anyway. i just said it was different and i liked it better. its the topic of the thread remember...oh yeah, this is wz...

UltimateHitman said:
And you call yourself a wrestling fan. Shame. As long as there are interesting personalities, some decent work rates, fresh potential, and a passion for the business, it's going to be interesting and exciting.

but i dont see the potential, i dont see interesting personalities. even if i did none of that gets me emotionally invested in a character and that is the point of the entire business. to bring the fans a conclusion to a story they are willing to pay to see.

UltimateHitman said:
I'm enjoying the youth movement immensely. It's not about "putting up w/growing pains", it's about watching somebody you find intriguing or interesting grow and mature into the person you eventually love. Were we immediately impressed and throwing legend status on Hunter Hearst Helmsley "The Blueblood"? Did we always think that surfer dude Sting was going to someday become the living embodiment of Iconic status and evolve into a gimmick based on a movie w/long hair, face paint, and a trenchcoat? Did the people watching AWA think Hogan was going to literally explode and define an era? Fuck, no we didn't.

horrible examples. hogan was in an era surrounded by legends so anyone he wrestled he got a rub from. same with HHH. who the fuck is alex riley getting a rub from? cena? lol they brought back the rock so cena can get a rub from someone. hogan fought race, andre, piper, etc. HHH fought hbk, mick foley, undertaker, etc. so please tell me who is going to help get these guys over today. uh-oh...cussing. name calling will be the next step right?

UltimateHitman said:
I fail to see how the Nexus storyline was bad. It brought fresh faces into the spotlight in a believable way (in a group, or pack, mentality) and went over very well. It was extremely logical. Instead of each guy trying to come in and "get over" individually which would not only have not worked but would not have made sense since they were so new, they came in as a collective unit which gave them an edge over bigger guys. You say you're a "veteran" wrestling fan, but you sound like a noob. Wrestling has had its share of ups and downs before and always will. And we, as fans, are normally there through it all.

nexus went over well?? LOL...fine. if you think a bunch of rookies from fcw stepping in and owning the wrestlers who we were told were the elite, the pinnacle of the business then fine. i think it does nothing but put over fcw and make wwe look weak as hell. especially considering the firing of DB, the deportation issues, members coming and going for no reason, skip injured, leadership change...my god this story is a total mess. if you like it fine but calling me a n00b because i dont? didnt i just predict the name calling is next? LOL.

UltimateHitman said:
People need to realize that the business is in the growing phase. Trying out new faces before the present faces become past, or old, faces. It's at that critical juncture just as it has been before and as it most likely will be again in the future. If you think about the Rock and Stone Cold, did they just magically pop up on the screen in their personas? The Rock was the epitome of babyface in his debut and initially got booed out of the building and endured chants of "Die Rocky Die" because people legitimately hated his ass so bad. Stone Cold was the infamous "Ringmaster" in the WWE. For fuck's sake, I really don't see how a youth movement is any different than the growth process these other guys (now legends) had to go through before coming into their own.

because they kept veterans around who were actual stars to help get them over. plus the era had alot to do with it. when there is legit competition the business gets better. its called the youth movement because it isnt just one or two guys, its a massive influx of hopefuls they are throwing on tv and they hope at least 1 or 2 make it. meanwhile we suffer. (by the way austin had many years in the business and worked for wcw and ecw and had fans when he came to wwe...and he was too old to be considered for any youth movement...so yeah, another bad example.)

next time instead of bashing someone who doesnt like what you do, try to stay on topic and discuss what you do or dont like about the business without trying to be smarky and talk down to someone.

first off thank you. this is a prime example of a wz poster. "lets not talk about the topic, lets bash the person who doesnt think like me!" fine. whatever.

well thanks for being so specific on where i was wrong. funny how the next thing you say is im right about how the business was lol:

i never said the business should be worked the same way today. it cant be anyway. i just said it was different and i liked it better. its the topic of the thread remember...oh yeah, this is wz...

but i dont see the potential, i dont see interesting personalities. even if i did none of that gets me emotionally invested in a character and that is the point of the entire business. to bring the fans a conclusion to a story they are willing to pay to see.

horrible examples. hogan was in an era surrounded by legends so anyone he wrestled he got a rub from. same with HHH. who the fuck is alex riley getting a rub from? cena? lol they brought back the rock so cena can get a rub from someone. hogan fought race, andre, piper, etc. HHH fought hbk, mick foley, undertaker, etc. so please tell me who is going to help get these guys over today. uh-oh...cussing. name calling will be the next step right?

nexus went over well?? LOL...fine. if you think a bunch of rookies from fcw stepping in and owning the wrestlers who we were told were the elite, the pinnacle of the business then fine. i think it does nothing but put over fcw and make wwe look weak as hell. especially considering the firing of DB, the deportation issues, members coming and going for no reason, skip injured, leadership change...my god this story is a total mess. if you like it fine but calling me a n00b because i dont? didnt i just predict the name calling is next? LOL.

because they kept veterans around who were actual stars to help get them over. plus the era had alot to do with it. when there is legit competition the business gets better. its called the youth movement because it isnt just one or two guys, its a massive influx of hopefuls they are throwing on tv and they hope at least 1 or 2 make it. meanwhile we suffer. (by the way austin had many years in the business and worked for wcw and ecw and had fans when he came to wwe...and he was too old to be considered for any youth movement...so yeah, another bad example.)

next time instead of bashing someone who doesnt like what you do, try to stay on topic and discuss what you do or dont like about the business without trying to be smarky and talk down to someone.

Are you really this stupid or did you have to work at it? (See, that's "bashing" and talking down to someone...)

All I did was present a differing viewpoint. You seem to be the one that enjoys trying (miserably, I might add) to make yourself feel better by laughing at everyone's viewpoints. Did it to the OP, and you did it in this horrible excuse for a post. Of course, judging from the level of intelligence in the first one, I can't really say I'm surprised.

You are, quite frankly, a hypocrite. All I did was offer an opposing viewpoint, as is the purpose of a discussion/debate forum. You got pissed because my viewpoint was different (and much better presented) and quoted yours to make said opposing viewpoint, so you decide to bash me. Yet you call me the basher.

Don't get mad because you lack intelligence. Take initiative and go back to school, do some reading, etc. But don't try to play me off as some kind of person that was "personally attacking" you when I simply pointed out the opposite view of what you had. And one last little tip: Don't accuse somebody of doing something and then turn around and do the same thing you're whining about. Makes you look like a tool.

Your response on so many levels was horrible and lacks anything of merit. You made my head hurt by just wondering how you can seriously form the thought patterns you project in this thread.

I'm not going to pick it apart (although it would prove to be mildly amusing and fairly easy to do), just think it's funny you gripe about somebody "complaining and bashing" your viewpoint because it isn't like yours, yet you then post this.

I'm sure the irony and hypocrisy will be lost on you though.

To the OP:

You are never too old for wrestling. But likes, tastes, and interests change as you grow. Have I always been as passionate about some things as I have in the past? Not all the time. There are some bands that I used to listen to years ago that I don't really care to listen to now, and some that I didn't get into then that I like now. These things happen. But don't let somebody else dictate what you like. If your interest wanes a bit and you don't want to follow something as regularly as you once did, that's just the way life works sometimes. Just stay true to yourself and what you enjoy doing. In that way you will always have positive things in your life and you will always be the better for it.

When you start comparing wrestling now to how it was when you were growing up, it's almost impossible for the what's currently going on to equal the same greatness in your mind. I was a little boy during the reign of Hulkamania and the original Four Horsemen and it was a lot of fun. To listen to the way some people talk, however, you'd think that everything that happened in those days was absolutely great. Every match was a classic, every feud compelling and every promo was solid gold. You also hear such things regardin the Attitude Era as well.

The truth is, however, that it's not nearly as good as we remember it. I buy a lot of these compilation DVDS WWE puts out featuring old school wrestlers that I liked growing up and all that. While I do enjoy them most of the time, looking back on them as an adult, they're not even remotely as good as I remember. When I was 7 years old, I thought Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant at WrestleMania III was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Watching it again 10 years later, I saw it as one extremely overrated and downright horrible match between two men with very limited in-ring ability. It's like that with every aspect of pro wrestling. There are still lots of things I love about wrestling in that era and when I was a teenager, things that I thought were beyond fantastic. Looking back on a lot of other stuff with the mind of a mature 30 year old man, it's almost embarassing to remember that I actually thought it was good.

As you get older, it's entirely possible that your tastes can change. My brother, whose nearly 8 years older than me, used to love any sort of action movies no matter how mind numbingly bad they might be. Now, he's mostly into dramatic and suspense thriller movies and not so much action. Sometimes, people just change what they're into.

I've always loved wrestling and I'm hoping that I always will. If you see something that any wrestling company puts out that you don't like, that's only natural. It's like that with any other form of entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back