• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too many veterans retiring?

bigbadwolf2010

Dark Match Winner
It seems like this year and the near future is a dark time for professional wrestling where many veterans are seemingly very close to retiring.
WWE has not been pushing new stars(until recently) and with all the well known established stars retiring how could wwe put over the younger talent if there are no veterans to put them over?

Let's take a look at whos getting close to retiring:

Wrestlers very close to retiring:

Shawn Michaels(already retired)
Undertaker(most likely in two years)
Triple H(he's been very injury prone lately and seems to be retiring in a year or two)
Chris Jericho (he's had interviews where he talks of retiring in a few years)
Kurt Angle(also has had interviews where he talks about retiring in a few years
Sting(it seemed like he was going to retire in 2009 but I guess not, so hes probably going to stay around for just one more year)
Kevin Nash(he should have retired a while ago so I think he will finally decide to hang up the sneakers very soon)
Mick Foley(same thing with Nash)
Edge(hes 36 years old and getting closer to 40 and I remember him talking about how he wants to retire soon before hes crippled because his latest injury's have been really bad)
William Regal(He's already 42 years old and he hasn't been used very well on tv so I think he doesn't really care much anyway nothing left for him to accomplish that wwe might consider letting him)
Kane(he is 43 years old I don't think he has many years left for him in wrestling)
Finlay(Okay now I know hes not been wrestling full time but he hasn't officially retired so im going to put him here, hes 51 years old obviously should be retiring officially very soon)
Chavo Guerrero(he is 39 years old, hasn't been used well and I think he wants to retire)

So yeah it seems like so many wrestlers are so close to retiring but on the bright side we have new superstars like Jack swagger, Shameus, nexus and the comming seasons of nxt to hopefully replace them.

It's now Q and Q time!

What do you all think about how we have so many veterans retiring?
Do you think it will have a negative affect on pro wrestling?
Do you think I'm missing anybody if so who?

Of the people you've named only 4 of them are wrestling reguarly and those are Jericho, Kane, Chavo and Kurt Angle. So the others aren't going to be massively missed. I mean Taker preforms about 1/3 of the year and the other 2/3 he's off, Kevin Nash doesn't wrestle much he's just backstage, Finlay has pretty much retired already, Regal does wrestle quite often but not always, Mick Foley's the same as Nash, Trips is injury prone. Edge the same, Sting is wrestling often but not always.

I think Jericho and Angle will be missed the most.

I can't really think of many more people that are going to retire except Goldust. Anyway I think WWE are building the younger talent to fill the gap. Just look at Miz, Sheamus, Cody, Dolph, Swagger and Kofi in WWE and TNA's big names are still pretty young.

Of the people you've named only 4 of them are wrestling reguarly and those are Jericho, Kane, Chavo and Kurt Angle. So the others aren't going to be massively missed. I mean Taker preforms about 1/3 of the year and the other 2/3 he's off, Kevin Nash doesn't wrestle much he's just backstage, Finlay has pretty much retired already, Regal does wrestle quite often but not always, Mick Foley's the same as Nash, Trips is injury prone. Edge the same, Sting is wrestling often but not always.

I think Jericho and Angle will be missed the most.

I can't really think of many more people that are going to retire except Goldust. Anyway I think WWE are building the younger talent to fill the gap. Just look at Miz, Sheamus, Cody, Dolph, Swagger and Kofi in WWE and TNA's big names are still pretty young.

IT doesn't matter how often they're used – they are iconic names in this industry. Anytime a guy like the Undertaker or Sting or anyone even like them retires, it's a huge fucking deal, and not just because they are retiring – it actually signifies the end of an era, something a lot of us grew up on.

The majority of the new era can't hold a candle to the careers of guys like that, which is why this thread matters – I actually agree that there are too many of them going, and not enough going on in the industry otherwise to make me optimistic about it's future as a whole. Certainly not in the WWE, at least. Sorry, but the Miz is a piss ant to me, and he isn't even close to being as entertaining as the history before him. TNA I'm a little less worried about because they've got AJ in place for the next decade at least, but the WWE is gonna be in some serious hot water if guys like Taker, Jericho, etc. all bounce around the same time. They're in no position to take numerous blows like that when they still haven't recovered from the loss of HBK, etc.

I fully agree with you that it'll be huge when one of them retires, I didn't mean my post to seem like it doesn't matter if one of them retire, I meant we will miss them but we won't miss them being on tv because they're not on tv much anymore.

I fully agree with you that it'll be huge when one of them retires, I didn't mean my post to seem like it doesn't matter if one of them retire, I meant we will miss them but we won't miss them being on tv because they're not on tv much anymore.

I still disagree, because despite the fact they aren't as featured, when they are featured it's the biggest thing going on in the company or on that show at the time, every time, which is to say that the current TV talent is not on their level, and when they are not featured, the current talent does nothing to duplicate or surpass the success of guys like the Undertaker/Sting when they are on in their place.

All in all, all this means is that the current crop of "next geners" isn't good enough.

I think the future of WWE is in good hands. Anytime a veteran retires, it allows one of the younger guys to step up. WWE already has a handful of guys ready to step into the "veteran" role with guys like Randy Orton, John Cena, Christian, Punk, etc. Right behind them are guys like Rhodes, Dibiase, McIntyre, Sydal, Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, Morrison, etc. With NXT, I'm seeing "rookies" with a lot of potential. I see some of the guys you mention becoming agents down the road to help mold and guide the next generation.

As far as TNA, the more that retire, the better :icon_lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back