• Sherlock Holmes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
10002_gal.jpg

VS

84669_gal.jpg

Robert Downey, Jr. is one of Hollywood's more talented and charismatic actors. Downey, Jr. can always deliver a memorable performance, but he is most known for two very popular roles. Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes have become two very successful film franchises over the years, and I always have a hard time picking a favorite out of the two, because Downey, Jr. always nails both characters. He can always pull off an outstanding performance in both film series. Trying to answer the question of, "who's the best?" can be irritating, because it is a tough choice.

As far as the Iron Man films go, they always have this big time summer blockbuster feel to them. Flashy special effects, exhilarating action scenes, and the A-list casts. Iron Man films can always feel extravagant, but Downey, Jr. is the driving force behind both films. He can be very smooth and cocky, as the billionaire playboy, who likes to showoff, and Downey, Jr. can always throw in some nice humor every now and then. Downey's charisma always shines through in the Iron Man films, and he always seems like the perfect choice for this character.

Iron Man films always stand out. They really don't fit the mold of your mindless Hollywood sci-fi/action film. The Iron Man films can feel smarter than you're typical summer blockbuster. Jon Favreau's stylish directing will pull you into a world of action-packed battle scenes, and the high-energy thrills are just great. But Downey, Jr's charismatic performances are the driving forces behind each film, and I just can't picture another person portraying Iron Man.

Guy Ritchie's pulse-pounding and mesmerizing style of directing won't help you remember the old school Sherlock Holmes films (The Hound Of The Baskervilles 1959 is an INSTANT classic, truly one of the forgotten great films, and this one features a pair of superb performances from Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee). But the modern day Sherlock Holmes films can be very entertaining, and they always provide the perfect mixture of action and comedy. Jude Law always delivers a solid performance as Watson, and he can form the perfect duo with Downey, Jr, because these two always share some great chemistry in the Sherlock Holmes films.

Downey, Jr. can always provide a witty and charming presence for the Sherlock Holmes character. Downey, Jr. can portray a cocky hero in both films, but Holmes' intelligence is his main weapon. He's a crafty sleuth, who can out think his adversaries, and he is more than capable of getting physical, when the situation calls for it.

It's a tough choice. Both characters are very intelligent, likeable, and Downey, Jr's charisma takes everything to the next level. He is the driving force behind both films. But If I had to pick just one....I would have to choose Tony Stark/Iron Man. I love the Sherlock Holmes film series, and the third film should be something to remember, but the Iron Man films always pack a powerful punch. Besides, Nolan's Batman films, Iron Man is one of those rare franchises, that can rise above the standard of your standard summer superhero movie. You don't have to worry about any unnecessary 3D effects, and the story might feel predictable, but Iron Man films can always take you on one hell of a ride to the end.

At first I wasn't too crazy about Iron Man 2, but I recently purchased the DVD, and this film has really grown on me. Mickey Rourke was an outstanding villain, who reeked of pure evil. Ivan Vanko/Whiplash was a cold and ruthless antagonist, and Rourke was just superb in this film. And Jeff Bridges really did a good job with the Obadiah Stane character.

I love Sherlock Holmes, and besides Jude Law, Downey, Jr. did have some good support from Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace in both films. But Sherlock Holmes (2009) didn't blow me away. It wasn't a bad film at all, but I didn't feel too much excitement, when I first watched this film, and Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood just felt so "meh." Jared Harris superb as the devious Professor James Moriarty in A Game Of Shadows, but Lord Blackwood was a very bland and uninteresting character, and this character really didn't do anything for me.

The Iron Man films offer you the best, when it comes to summer Hollywood blockbusters. The modern day Sherlock Holmes films can be very entertaining, but I have to give the edge to Sherlock Holmes here. The Sherlock Holmes franchise has produced some unique action/comedies, but Iron Man has become one of the more entertaining superhero franchises, and as far as the supporting casts go, Iron Man wins this category for me. Terrance Howard and Don Cheadle did provide some enjoyable performances as the best friend/sidekick. Also, Jeff Bridges and Mickey Rourke were great villains.

So with all that said.......

Do you prefer the cocky and smooth playboy billionaire/superhero, Tony Stark/Iron Man? Or are you a fan of the witty and elusive detective, Sherlock Holmes?

I went with Sherlock Holmes but only because I've read every single story and it's fun to see it come to life in a entirely new way. If I had to guess who would be cast as Sherlock Holmes before it was announced, Robert Downey Jr. would have been at the botto...........no, he wouldn't have even been on the list. But he came in, made the character entirely his own and ran with it. Iron Man on the other hand, while being a great film that I own just isn't as much of a favorite of mine as Sherlock is. And that's what it really boils down to: opinion.

I honestly do not find the grand appeal behind Robert Downey Jr. as an Actor. Do not get me wrong, I love his work in films like the Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes. But it honestly feels like he is the same role in every film, the witty, sarcastic genius with a drug/booze addiction. (A roll that he does very well) I love his work in those films, but I can never really recall a movie that doesn't have him playing that same role.

As a comic book nerd who loves Sci-Fi and scientific toys. I am obliged to say Downey Jr. kills it as Tony Stark. He has the look, the charisma, and the ability to live out Iron Man. Their is honestly no other actor in his atmosphere or range that could mirror the job he does as Tony Stark.

Tough choice. He plays both Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes brilliantly, to a point where any other modern interpretation of those characters almost seems "wrong". My gut decision was to go with Tony Stark, because I believe it reflects RDJ, the person, more. Brilliant, rich, playboy, asshole... some of the many traits that have accompanied Mr. Jr. throughout his career. More than that though, he took the Tony Stark character and made it his own. He's everything I ever though about Iron Man; somehow it just works for him.

However, I actually chose Sherlock Holmes. He was brilliant in both, sold both characters perfectly...so how to make a decision? It's simple - the Sherlock Holmes moves told a better story. Better characters, better interactions, better plot. Marvel Studios never has to work about telling a great story, because they'll always make a billion dollars no matter how many heroes they bring to the big screen. That's not to say the Iron Man movies weren't great (well, the first one was anyways...), but I thought both Holmes moves were a giant step above. They definitely had an air of sophistication about them.

Downey Junior, all mass drug abuse and general human downfal traits aside, is a fantastic actor. Really, though, the two roles he's most succeeded at and is most recognised for are Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. When it comes to choosing between the two, for me, it's simple.

When you watch Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, in BBCs hit show, you really do realize that Bobby's interpretaion is mediocre at best. That's not an insult too Bob, it just goes to show you how good Cumberbatch is.

As Tony Stark, though, Downey has no competition. His quirkiness, general douchebaggyness, and chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow and other characters in Iron Man are vastly superior to every other actors intentions.

What it all comes down to is that Bobby Downey Junior is the best actor at playing Iron Man whereas he's playing second fiddle to Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. Therefore, I'm voting for Stark/Iron Man, although both roles are as fun to watch as each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back