Tony Romo and Cowboys fans

First off let me start by saying that I am indeed a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Ok, so there seems to be a lot of hate out there for Tony Romo among Cowboy fans. I personally don't get it, are we so naive as fans that we think top 10 quarterbacks just appear at will? Or is it more a case of what have you done for us lately?

Personally I think it all started with the dropped snap in the Seattle game, but lets not forget it was RAINING and one more foot forward and he scores the go ahead touchdown rather then the tying field goal.

I realize we've only won one playoff game with him and he owns a 7-10 record in December, but hes a game changer, hes a leader, hes elite at his position. We are better with him then without. Its not like you can really upgrade I mean who would you take over Romo that would really be an upgrade. Aaron Rodgers is about it everyone else is either too old or unproven.

So Cowboy fans why do you hate Romo? Am I the only Cowboys fan out there that still supports Romo?

I'm not a Cowboys fan but there is someone that is younger than Romo that I would take over him. Jay Cutler is a very quality quarterback that could of done a lot of things with that Bears team If he wasn't injured last year. I'd probably take Matt Flynn too, I honestly think that guy is the real deal. He will turn into a very good quarterback, but I could very well be wrong.

I like Romo, I think he's a good quarterback but he's not a franchise quarterback.

At the end of the day over the last 5 years the Cowboys have had some pretty good teams with some pretty solid talent on it. I would even say that some of those teams, if more disciplined could have made a run at the Super Bowl, not saying they would win but could keep it interesting.

In a lot of ways its easy to criticize the guy for the teams failures over the last while because he is the quarterback and usually they are looked at as the leaders of the team. But I think most of the hate against Romo is his inconsistency.

Personally, I don't see the Cowboys winning a Superbowl with Romo as their starter quarterback. He's a good quarterback but not a great quarterback. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence in Romo that during big games, he has the football IQ to get it done as he has made a ton of bone headed plays at the worst possible time. I think he has the skills to be great but he's got to learn to be more consistent with his play. Some days he looks like Aikman and other days he looks like Grossman, that can frustrate fans more than having a consistently bad team, having good teams that could win, but don't because of stupidity or the fact they can't put teams away.

Just look at their Jets loss last season, or their Detroit loss, or the last few games of the year when they needed to win and played like shit. It wasn't Romo's fault, but he has often has the same problem. He doesn't show up a lot when you need him to the most.

This is coming from a huge Cowboys fan.

Its not like you can really upgrade I mean who would you take over Romo that would really be an upgrade. Aaron Rodgers is about it everyone else is either too old or unproven.

Yeah, that Tom Brady guy (who's going 1st ballot and is only 2 years older not to mention has 3 SB rings) is pretty terrible. No way he'd be an upgrade.

Gotta say that Matthew Stafford has zero potential as well. And he's 23? 24? I didn't bother looking it up because he's much younger than Romo.

Drew Brees at this point is 1 year older than Romo and is currently a potential free agent next year. I don't think he's any better than a Dallas backup quarterback at all either. :wtf:

Anyways, the reason Cowboys fans hate Romo is because he hasn't won them 4 SB's by now. Texas football fans in general are nuts about it. If they're not winning, they're blaming someone for them losing. In football, it's generally the QB. Now, if your QB has some good credibility, someone else will get the blame. But you and dean pointed out exactly why Tony Romo has no credibility. He's terrible when it matters most. He's usually a pretty good QB, but when it counts he makes boneheaded plays. Period.

I'm not a Cowboys fan and I like Tony Romo. I don't think it's fair that when the Cowboys don't make the playoffs, or even when they lose a game, the finger gets pointed at Romo, and Romo alone.

Let's be honest, Romo is the only reason the Cowboys are relevant right now. He's a lot better than people give him credit for. Let's not forget how Dallas was when John Kitna and Stephen McGee :)wtf:) were starting Quarterbacks during Romo's injuries.

Romo being the Cowboys QB is their best shot right now at getting back to the playoffs. He's got the weapons, and he's got Rob Ryan running the defense. For some unknown reason, the man can't win in December.

I personally think that The Cowboys can win a Super Bowl with Romo. But right now, the competition in the NFC is very, very difficult.

I'm a die-hard life long Cowboys fan and I have no animosity for Tony Romo, nor would I replace him. There are better QB's in the league but not many I think would fit in Dallas, or many that would actually be better than Romo under the pressure and spotlight that no one else faces like the Dallas Cowboys QB. He is a stats machine breaking record after record in Dallas, but as has been duly noted, he just hasn't had the long range success either in December or in the playoffs. Romo statistically, was a top 5 QB last year and has consistently been in the top 10. The Cowboys w/l record has not come from lack of effort on the part of Tony Romo, it takes a team to win and lose. Last season, Romo arguably cost them 2 games, Detroit and the Jets. The other upset losses they faced were blown by the defense when Tony Romo had them in winning position, and that's been a big problem in Dallas.

I don't think he is as bad in big situations as many are eluding to as well. Last season he led the Cowboys to 8 last minute drives, 4 of which they went on to win, a couple of which they lost. Some of this came from problems with the field goal team, some of it from the defense, and rarely was it something you could solely place on Tony Romo. He came through in many clutch situations last year and showed in my view, that he is a clutch guy, that he can make the big plays, but once again it takes a team not one man. He didn't always have a lot of help from the O-line, and how the defense performs is completely out of his hands.

With the moves made in free agency and the draft, Dallas has addressed a lot of issues and will be greatly improved this year. From signing CB's Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, picking up Brodney Pool, Nate Livings, Dan Connor, Lawrence Vickers, Mackenzy Bernadeau, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Kyle Orton and more, plus cutting a lot of dead weight and unproductive players, while getting the right ones coming back, Dallas looks to be much stronger on defense, especially in the corner and safety positions, we've got a decent back-up QB, we've got a great receiving core, if they stay healthy we've got the talent in the running game, and we've got a full off season this time to make it all gel. Rob Ryan is taking the right approach to teaching his defense, the offensive line got reinforced which will help Romo a lot, and things seem to be coming together in Dallas. The only player I wish we could have kept was Laurent Robinson who broke out last year as a top receiver for Dallas, but I am happy with everything else so that's not a big deal, we did get another good receiver anyways, but he looked to be a star in the making. We put the franchise tag on Anthony Spencer, Kevin Ogletree and Gerald Sensebaugh will be coming back, and ball snatcher Sean Lee will be in the backfield as well.

We've got a tough schedule this year, tougher than last year, but with the improvements made all across the board I think we will have a great season.

Yeah, that Tom Brady guy (who's going 1st ballot and is only 2 years older not to mention has 3 SB rings) is pretty terrible. No way he'd be an upgrade.

Gotta say that Matthew Stafford has zero potential as well. And he's 23? 24? I didn't bother looking it up because he's much younger than Romo.

Drew Brees at this point is 1 year older than Romo and is currently a potential free agent next year. I don't think he's any better than a Dallas backup quarterback at all either. :wtf:

I meant attainable upgrades, of those three the only one that is even possible is Brees. That won't happen though, because the saints will find a way to lock him up.

I think Romo is good. He has a young Dez Bryant, if Miles Austin comes back healthy, he would have more weapons. Romo needs a RB though. If he has a RB, then take pressure of Romo.

We have consistently had solid running backs, but have consistently not had a coach that would stick to the fucking run game. NO instead we throw the ball 40-50 times. That is a solid problem you bring up though, we need to stay balanced. 30-30 would be ideal.

As a Cowboys fan, I have nothing against Tony Romo and I wouldn't replace him. He's a much better player than over half of the Quarterbacks in the league. He's the best QB the team has had since Troy Aikman retired, and I certainly would keep him over having scrubs like Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Quincy Carter and all the other garbage QB's who were there before Romo became starter. As has been seen, they're clearly better with him than without (would anybody really want Stephen McGee out there more than he had to last year?).

By watching every Cowboy game of the year... I can probably attest that one or two games were truly Romo's fault (Detroit where he threw those picks and they coughed up a large lead, and the Jets game although he doesn't deserve the whole blame on that one at all), while the others were because the crappy as hell secondary got torched (namely Alan Ball, Terrence Newman and the like). I think if the defense actually plays well on a consistent basis, the running backs stay healthy (that hasn't really happened all too much in the past few years and it's shown) and the WR's and Witten continue to make big plays... I think the team could have a great season. Maybe they can win a playoff game or two, who knows (at least I hope).

We have consistently had solid running backs, but have consistently not had a coach that would stick to the fucking run game. NO instead we throw the ball 40-50 times. That is a solid problem you bring up though, we need to stay balanced. 30-30 would be ideal.

Your right, you need a balanced game. If you dont then your fucked. Thats how my Raiders fucked up late last season. When Darren "Injure Prone" McFadden went down, our season went down cause Palmer basically had no running game to support him.

Who was your young RB last year? He was on a hot streak for a couple of weeks.

Demarco Murray. If we can maintain a solid balance of Romo, Murray, and Jones we should be able to make a deep run, assuming that the defense plays better this year which I think we all think they will.

For the record if the Raiders are going up against anyone besides the Cowboys then I take em, easily my number two team. Fucking bullshit how the Broncos got in the playoffs last year. Only good thing about it was Ryan Clark couldn't play which lead to a Steelers(Fuck them) loss because Polamalu can't cover for shit.

By watching every Cowboy game of the year... I can probably attest that one or two games were truly Romo's fault (Detroit where he threw those picks and they coughed up a large lead, and the Jets game although he doesn't deserve the whole blame on that one at all), while the others were because the crappy as hell secondary got torched (namely Alan Ball, Terrence Newman and the like)

I've seen that Jets pick countless times and I still don't understand why we forced it to a banged up Bryant in week one. Don't forget Jenkins, that fucker had more pass interference calls last year then I care to recall.

I totally forgot about Matt Stafford as well he's a guy who's younger than Romo I'd no doubt about it take. Stafford is a great QB who should of made the Pro Bowl last year.

I actually think Stafford could be worth that MAYBE. He looks like a QB for the future but all of those past injuries worry me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back