TNA vs NJPW: Global iMPACT! 2011

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
250px-Global_impact.JPG

In the spring of 2011 America's top superheroes clash with legendary warriors of Japan in the form of Marvel vs Capcom 3. However, us wrestling fan's are gonna get a similar treat. As the high impact wrestlers of TNA meet up with the Japanese wrestling powerhouse, New Japan Pro Wrestling. Since 2008, Wrestle Kingdom has housed this great crossover event and 2011 will be no different. However, there's a bit of a new feature. See, for years, New Japan has had belts defended and even lost in said show, and the title's in question travel over to the U.S. on TNA for a bit. However this year, for the first time, the TNA World Heavyweight Championship will be defended outside of TNA (as far as I know) in the Tokyo Dome as TNA World Champion Jeff Hardy meets Tetsuya Naito. The former IWGP junior Tag Team Champion was featured for months on TNA as well as CMLL along his No Limit tag team partner, Yujiro Takahashi. Good luck.

Also scheduled for the show are Rob Van Dam vs. Toru Yano and the IWGP World Tag Team Championship Match between Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson vs. Beer Money vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Strong Man.

The event will take place on January 4th. Marking the one year anniversary of the debut of Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, Ric Flair and the rest of the bunch.

Questions:

*The show was not presented here last year or even mentioned where Team 3D lost their IWGP Tag Team Championships to No Limit. Will the event go yet another year obscured?

*It's possible that Beer Money may win the IWGP Tag Team Championships. Would you like to see them featured on TNA? Again?

*Should the show be presented on Spike TV at some point like it was in 2008? Or would you prefer a DVD release alone like in 2009?

*Your take on the TNA Worlds Championship being featured on the show? Is this why it may not be presented on Genesis? Naito's chances of winning? Jeff Hardy leaving the belt in the airport again?

*Would you like the show to return to it's online 2006 format?

Excuse my French but FUCK YEAH!

*The show was not presented here last year or even mentioned where Team 3D lost their IWGP Tag Team Championships to No Limit. Will the event go yet another year obscured?

I most certainly hope not. It's such a treat for any fan out there. When I was a WWE mark and hated TNA blindly the only thing that stood out as freaking awesome was this. I think it's so unique and I love the international feel.

*It's possible that Beer Money may win the IWGP Tag Team Championships. Would you like to see them featured on TNA? Again?

Why not. It adds much needed diversity to the show.

*Should the show be presented on Spike TV at some point like it was in 2008? Or would you prefer a DVD release alone like in 2009?

Absolutely. If they'd play it as iMPACT or something that'd be the best.

*Your take on the TNA Worlds Championship being featured on the show? Is this why it may not be presented on Genesis? Naito's chances of winning? Jeff Hardy leaving the belt in the airport again?

I'm not very familiar with Japanese stars and all, I don't know who Naito is but I'd like to see Hardy go up against whoever that is. I like the idea of the TNA Title being defended, I want to see what Hardy can do on an international stage.

*Would you like the show to return to it's online 2006 format?

Nope...

I always love these. The talent on show is unbelievable and gives a chance for someone as uneducated as me (dealing with the outside-mainstream wrestling talent), to have a look at these other promotions.

However, I must profess that I hope TNA doesn't go Let's-drop-all-storylines-for-this route. Immortal and Fourtune must be heavily involved in their characters and honestly should do a beatdown and TNA could followup maybe with an NJPW invasion the next night on TNA for revenge (ONE NIGHT ONLY THOUGH!).
It would be amazing to see, for what I believe, the best heel around, Jeff Jarrett take on Japanese rooks in his MMA challenge and someone really push him.

Should be good.

The Wrestle Kingdom V card, which TNA will refer to as Global Impact (nothing wrong with that BTW), is a weird card. Many of the matches involving TNA talent is quite random. Most specifically, Jeff Hardy vs. Tetsuya Naito. Naito is coming off of a big loss and really has had little to nothing to do with American pro wrestling. A guy like Nagata or Nakanishi would have been a better choice.

Also, while I love Beer Money, I really hope they don't win the IWGP Tag belts. Those belts have spent far too much time away from New Japan talent and should really spend some time on home soil. If the Dudley Boys reign never happened I wouldn't see this as a problem but they barely appeared on New Japan shows while champs and really stunted the growth of New Japan's tag division.

I also love these shows... I'm a little disapointed that there will be no Angle, Joe or AJ matches...

I think a Japan invasion would be a cool idea in the future when Immortal dies down a bit... Would even be cool if they got AAA involved somehow and had an international themed PPV...

The key would be just to get the right guys and pair them up with the right TNA guys...

On a side note... I would love to see Giant Bernard in TNA.... He is very impressive in the ring and would be a great goon for Immortal... (Better than Abyss anyway...lol) I would even like to see him and Karl Andersom come to TNA to have a fued with the Guns or Beer Money for the titles... TNA did have their tag titles for a while, why not have them come for revenge?

This is basically a novelty throwaway show but it could still be just plain fun. There'll be little to no stories to go along with any of this but it'll be fun to see wrestlers that we're all familiar with to go against top talent that many of us aren't.

The show was not presented here last year or even mentioned where Team 3D lost their IWGP Tag Team Championships to No Limit. Will the event go yet another year obscured?

TNA has been mostly shit in 2010 in my opinion. For me, the last downright great match I remember seeing on iMPACT! was Rob Van Dam vs. Samoa Joe and that's definitely been a while and iMPACT! for the past several months to me has just been extremely dull with uninteresting feuds and lackluster matches. Global iMPACT! could be just a plain ol' fun card to see with lots of good matches even if the show itself has no lasting impact for TNA. They could at least start 2011 off with a bang by airing this show on Spike.

It's possible that Beer Money may win the IWGP Tag Team Championships. Would you like to see them featured on TNA? Again?

Not really because the titles were little more than props while they were used in TNA last year. Having the top tag titles of another promotion on their show didn't lead to any increased interest in TNA. They don't do nearly enough with most of their own championships, so I have little interest in watching the IWGP Tag Team Championship clutter up the roster as it did last year.

Should the show be presented on Spike TV at some point like it was in 2008? Or would you prefer a DVD release alone like in 2009?

As I said earlier, 2010 has not been TNA's best year by a long shot. So why not start off 2011 with a bang by presenting a show that's actually interesting and looks to potentially have some really good matches on television? I won't buy a DVD of it because, while the novelty of the show does make it interesting, I don't feel like paying $20+ on a DVD featuring lots of wrestlers I'm not overly familiar with and are unlikely to ever see again.

Your take on the TNA Worlds Championship being featured on the show? Is this why it may not be presented on Genesis? Naito's chances of winning? Jeff Hardy leaving the belt in the airport again?

Jeff Hardy hasn't exactly impressed me as TNA World Heavyweight Champion. It'll be interesting to see him defend the title in front of a large crowd and outside of the confines of the Impact Zone in and of itself. Of course, I don't believe that Hardy will lose the title but it'd still be an overall interesting scenario that's outside of the TNA norm.

Would you like the show to return to it's online 2006 format?

Hell no. As I've already said, I think that the vast majority of everything that TNA has had going on in 2010 has been shit. Watching Global iMPACT! on television is something that I'd actually be looking forward to and that's become a rarity for me when it comes to the TNA product. Not showing this program on Spike would just be a blown opportunity in my view.

I dont get to say this much these days but in this instance I can legitimately say that I am looking forward to a TNA show. It should be a ton of fun to not worry about any storyline's and see some of TNA's best go up against (what I would assume to be) some of NJPW's best. It should be fun to see how the matches turn out and see if the different styles mesh well or if they just don't fit together at all.

I couldn't see either set of titles change hands, while TNA's tag division is great I don't think it has the depth to support two sets of tag titles, especially with no more Team 3D. Also last time the IWGP belts were in TNA they were treated as second class belts and I doubt NJPW would want for that to happen again. As for the TNA belt, there is absolutely no way TNA will give up their top title end of story.

I really hope TNA decides to air this on spike as this has the potential to be a very fun show which could draw a good number of viewers as it is something a bit different. In an era in TNA where both a good show and a good rating are uncommon you would think they would want to grab onto this opportunity.

The only real criticism I have of this show is the fact they didn't go all out with it. What I mean by that is they should have done a show where every match is TNA vs NJPW that way you could include guys like Angle, Joe, AJ, Anderson and you would get a really interesting show out of it. Hopefully something like that will happen in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back