TNA Trademark's "Impact Wrestling"

Joe's Gonna Kill You

The Hunt is On
TNA filed a trademark for "Impact Wrestling." The description in the trademark database matches that of TNA as:

"Entertainment services, namely, the production and exhibition of professional wrestling events rendered live, and production of television programs in the field of wrestling and sports entertainment; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network; providing wrestling news and information via the internet. The domain name impactwrestling.com is also now owned by TNA Entertianment

Source: Wrestling Observer

Thoughts on TNA rebranding and focusing on the word Impact and a possible name change

I hate to say it, but it does sound a bit more professional. However, TNA seems to be getting rid of everything that made them stand out from every other wrestling promotion. Their name was one of the few things that made TNA stand out form just another wrestling company. TNA was a great name to go by and I don't really see the need to change it. However, I do admit it's a cool name change. Maybe this means TNA is finally refocusing their company and we may be treated to some good shows in the coming future if they stay on the right track. My only question: Will they actually refocus or rebrand their company once they make the name change or will they just keep putting on the same stuff? Hopefully this turns out to be nothing but good for TNA or iMPACT Wrestling or whatever you wanna call it.

I was against a name change if it went to something we had to abbreviate with 3 letters (WWF, WCW, ECW, WWE, TNA, etc. BUT I really like Impact Wrestling. Its simple and says exactly what their product represents. Kind of refreshing.

TNA filed a trademark for "Impact Wrestling." The description in the trademark database matches that of TNA as:

"Entertainment services, namely, the production and exhibition of professional wrestling events rendered live, and production of television programs in the field of wrestling and sports entertainment; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network; providing wrestling news and information via the internet. The domain name impactwrestling.com is also now owned by TNA Entertianment

Source: Wrestling Observer

Thoughts on TNA rebranding and focusing on the word Impact and a possible name change

Meh, if true won't change a thing. At least it still would have wrestling in its name (unlike some other company).;) Its still the same wrestlers, ring, announce team, same bookers and same location (except some tapings and PPV's) so its the same company anyways.

I like it. I just wonder who is gonna bring the change. I feel like it will happen when the power is shifted away from Hogan (storyline wise). At the same time I think its a bad idea for the originals, defenders of TNA to bring upon the change.

Maybe Hogan or Bishoff makes the change to please "the network". I'm curious to see how it plays out.

it's fucking stupid...wtf...im gonna chat impact? Dont like the ring to it. tna atleast sounds like a fucking wrestling company if you have no clue what tna means to the average joe...im guilty of that...a drinking buddy filled me in when I took a tna shirt to a bar. Impact wrestling sounds like a nothing promotion...like a fucking video game. At the end of the day I guess it's just a name change...one that I think is truly unnecessary

The biggest thing it helps is drawing in your average wrestling fan. If someones never heard of TNA and are flipping through the guide on the cable network of choice (Cox, Dish, Direct TV, etc), TNA Impact may not catch their eye as a wrestling promotion but Impact Wrestling would. Slight changes can make a big difference.

So...

No one here has ever heard of Full Impact Pro Wrestling? FIP for short? What about Impact Pro Wrestling? IPW?

Point is...I know its TNA iMPACT and all that junk and I am all for a name change if they feel it will benefit the company but if you are going to change the name...try not to switch to a company that already has one.

Impact Wrestling is short.

FIP is actually already a Florida Company. I dont really know if its still alive or not but it use to be where RoH Guys would wrestle when they wrestled in the south. Best Buy use to sell a ton of their DVDs and you could watch Punk, MVP, Joe, Noble, Strong, Kendrick and a lot of other guys wrestling some insteresting matches that not everyone remembers.

I vote for Impact Wrestling Federation, or IWF for short. Or how about Impact Championship Wrestling (ICW for short). Anything, and I mean, ANYTHING is better than TNA at this point, but I do like them using the word "Impact" in the name.

If they do change the name, which it seems like they are, will they be changing all the titles? They just got a brand new world title, so it'll be interesting to see if they do that since all the belts have TNA on them

Rebranding from TNA will hurt their popularity (not amazing as is)

I still hear people who don't know WWE and WWF are one in the same, as silly as that sounds, theres casual fans for any company that might not remember who they're watching.

TNA in itself isn't a bad name or gimmick, it's actually one of the few things I won't bash them for.

"TNA: Impact Wrestling". Sounds a hell of a lot better than "TNA: Impact". While I'm against the possibility of rebranding TNA as a whole, I don't have an issue with rebranding TNA Impact the program. It can definably use a new spark to it.

As I've said before, I don't think it could hurt. But I don't think it will help either. TNA was a stupid pun of a name to begin with (I'd seriously bet 5 bucks that Vince Russo was involved in it). However, it's a stupid pun that I've gotten used to. It's a stupid pun that fans like to chant. So while a name change might make TNA seem a little less ridiculous to potential viewers, it's also going to take something away from the companies history and identity.

And besides, it's an aesthetic change which does nothing to address the underlying problems in TNA. Just like everything else that the companies tried over the last few years. It's almost comedic, really. TNA has tried literally everything but a change in creative direction, which is what it's fans have been demanding all along. I know TNA's apologists will disagree (you know who you are), but it's the truth. Since Vince Russo joined TNA (which started the companies downward spiral), the company has signed Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, the Hardys, Ken Anderson, RVD, and many others. TNA now has arguably more proven draws than the WWE. And the ratings have gone practically nowhere. They've changed the roster, changed the ring, changed the look and feel of the show, created a reality style followup to Impact, and attempted changing the timeslot. And the ratings have gone practically nowhere. TNA is being backed by a massive company, and it's on the same network that the WWE used to occupy. There is absolutely zero reason why, at this point, the company shouldn't be more successful. A name change will not remedy this. It's just another in a litany of excuses from the powers that be in TNA to distract from their own incompetence.

As I've said before, I don't think it could hurt. But I don't think it will help either. TNA was a stupid pun of a name to begin with (I'd seriously bet 5 bucks that Vince Russo was involved in it). However, it's a stupid pun that I've gotten used to. It's a stupid pun that fans like to chant. So while a name change might make TNA seem a little less ridiculous to potential viewers, it's also going to take something away from the companies history and identity.

And besides, it's an aesthetic change which does nothing to address the underlying problems in TNA. Just like everything else that the companies tried over the last few years. It's almost comedic, really. TNA has tried literally everything but a change in creative direction, which is what it's fans have been demanding all along. I know TNA's apologists will disagree (you know who you are), but it's the truth. Since Vince Russo joined TNA (which started the companies downward spiral), the company has signed Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, the Hardys, Ken Anderson, RVD, and many others. TNA now has arguably more proven draws than the WWE. And the ratings have gone practically nowhere. They've changed the roster, changed the ring, changed the look and feel of the show, created a reality style followup to Impact, and attempted changing the timeslot. And the ratings have gone practically nowhere. TNA is being backed by a massive company, and it's on the same network that the WWE used to occupy. There is absolutely zero reason why, at this point, the company shouldn't be more successful. A name change will not remedy this. It's just another in a litany of excuses from the powers that be in TNA to distract from their own incompetence.

....Do you know what re-branding means? At all?.....You and everyone are saying similar things but not realizing the whole point of the name change is to begin a "rebrand"

Secondly, WWE being on Spike TV means nothing since Spike isn't that popular or even successful. I mean, if WWE left the Spike TV, wouldn't that mean it had something to do with ratings?

Secondly, the problem is keeping consistent ratings. To say the ratings went nowhere is a complete lie. TNA still hit massive ratings during the beginning of the Immortal angle and for the entire month after that.

They got massive ratings when they debuted Hogan on Impact. We know viewership is off and on.

The big difference is not viewers but getting people to buy into your stars, your image and making sure WWE is not the only option.

TNA brings in Angelina and JWow from Jersey Shore they got some decent publicity. WWE brings in Snooki and Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno and other shows begin to show clips of it and promote what happened. See the difference?

There is nothing wrong with starting off fresh right now. Nobody believes the name will change anything. Other things will obviously have to follow. If Spike TV and TNA are looking to change then there should be no problem here.

We all know IWC and smark lovers continue to preach this. TNA is doing it, I don't want to hear anything about whatever direction they take until we see it. The name isn't enough to judge and say that's all they will do.

....Do you know what re-branding means? At all?.....You and everyone are saying similar things but not realizing the whole point of the name change is to begin a "rebrand"

The O.P asked for our thoughts on the rebranding. Those are my thoughts: it's a waste of time motivated by an incorrect assumption by the powers that be in TNA that changing the name of the company will improve the companies fortunes. I believe their time and effort would be better spent in changing the companies creative direction.

Secondly, WWE being on Spike TV means nothing since Spike isn't that popular or even successful. I mean, if WWE left the Spike TV, wouldn't that mean it had something to do with ratings?

The WWE went back to USA, which is a better network. But it was doing quite well on Spike, and in fact routinely had better ratings than it has had in the last few years. I mentioned this to show that Spike can't possibly be blamed for TNA's low ratings, as wrestling on the network has been successful in the past. Technically speaking, ECW on TNN also drew comparable ratings to Impact, despite having a fraction of the budget and the recognizable talent.

Secondly, the problem is keeping consistent ratings. To say the ratings went nowhere is a complete lie. TNA still hit massive ratings during the beginning of the Immortal angle and for the entire month after that.

They got massive ratings when they debuted Hogan on Impact. We know viewership is off and on.

Massive ratings? Are you joking? THAT'S a complete lie. And as for Hogan's debut, everyone on these boards speculated that TNA would receive a temporary boost in viewership thanks to Hogan's debut, and that they would have a limited amount of time to capitalize on it. They didn't, obviously. Ratings have shown some sign of improvement occasionally, but those occasions seem to be the exception and not the rule. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a ratings discussion with you. Mostly because TNA's defenders like to argue that they don't matter whenever someone points out how bad they are. But they are what they are and you can interpret them however you wish.

The big difference is not viewers but getting people to buy into your stars, your image and making sure WWE is not the only option.

The purpose of getting people to buy into your stars and your image IS to increase your viewership

TNA brings in Angelina and JWow from Jersey Shore they got some decent publicity. WWE brings in Snooki and Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno and other shows begin to show clips of it and promote what happened. See the difference?

No. Nothing has improved. What's the difference?

There is nothing wrong with starting off fresh right now. Nobody believes the name will change anything. Other things will obviously have to follow. If Spike TV and TNA are looking to change then there should be no problem here.

We all know IWC and smark lovers continue to preach this. TNA is doing it, I don't want to hear anything about whatever direction they take until we see it. The name isn't enough to judge and say that's all they will do.

I'm sick to death of this line of reasoning. If someone dislikes TNA's current direction, it's because they are a 'smark', or a WWE fan, or whatever bullshit justification is convenient aside from accepting that people just genuinely aren't happy with the companies direction. This isn't a new direction that TNA is taking that I'm judging here; it's a rebranding, as you've so eloquently pointed out. Nobody is mentioning changing anything else with the company. Which, again, is my objection to this. It's a pointless name change when there's really zero evidence that one is necessary, or that it will help the company. And even if rebranding does result in a temporary increase in viewership - just like Hogans debut - don't you think that if the same people remain in charge of the company that Impact Wrestling will become just as tarnished a brand as TNA currently is? And did I at any point claim that other posters were assuming the rebranding would result in some other changes in the company? No. I gave my opinion on why the name change is pointless, and explained it. It wasn't meant as a correction to some perceived error by other posters. I'm just explaining my reasoning. I honestly don't know why you TNA marks are so defensive and paranoid. I want TNA to succeed as much as you do. I just don't see how this will help, and I don't see the point in lying about my opinion.

They may as well call it Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling for all the changes it will make to their dismal product. It's gonna take a lot more than rebranding, Dixie...

Don't like it....wrestling companies have always been 3 or 4 letter abbreviations (nwa,awa,wwwf,wwf,wcw,etc.) Which to me makes wrestling unique...impact wrestling sounds like the name of a company that wrestles in high school gyms...just doesn't sound good...tna impact is a good name for a show, and tna is a good company name...just say to yourself "I'm an impact fan"..doesn't sound right...as far as if its gonna bring the company in a new direction, I don't see why it would...changing the name doesn't mean they're changing the writers or bookers or performers...and by the looks of them setting up a hogan vs sting match for the future, it seems they're heading the same route they've been on for the last 2 years....

I really don't see how it can hurt when you look at the big picture. Generally speaking, however, I don't really see how it's really going to help things either. As far as TNA goes, virtually everything that made TNA stand out from the pack is either gone or no longer relevant so a name change really isn't that big of a deal.

If the idea behind the name change is for it to be part of some sort of rebranding of the product & taking it in a new creative direction, then that's something that will get me paying attention. It'll make me at least take notice to see exactly what they're going to do. However, if it's mostly the same shit product put into a slightly different wrapper, then it's nothing to get worked up about.

By the way, don't get too excited about a coming change yet. I checked it out, it's real, but the trademark was filed on February 17th. The dirt-sheets picked it up now and it happened months ago, and if TNA didn't pull the trigger yet, I see no reason why they'll do it in the next few months. Maybe "Impact Wrestling" is something else. Who knows, but as excited (and scared) as I am for a possible coming change, I won't get my hopes up. TNA has history with their plans falling apart and this could've been another one.

Still, it can't be a side project if it's called "Impact Wrestling", so we can only wait and see. All I know is that this was done months ago so I wouldn't expect a change coming in the following weeks or even months. Maybe it's just preparation for the ending of the Immortal storyline. Trademark it quickly so your plans don't leak and someone screw you over. Who knows?

But if a name change takes place it better come with a different (better) product. Apparently the dirt-sheets got it right this time. The report stated that a name change is only being discussed but there are heavier discussions about the whole direction of the product and making it "clearly different" from the WWE. If they got the name rumor right, then there's a high possibility the rest of the report was all true, or at least partially. It ties up with the whole Dixie Carter no longer being the president of TNA deal.

At least it's good to see that they react to the sinking/frozen ratings and are willing to change. Ratings don't determine quality, I understand that, but they do determine where your business goes and as a fan, I don't want this one to go down. I doubt TNA would let it die too. We'll see what happens, I'm interested to see how it plays out.

A possible name change might be a good direction for TNA. As has been stated tons of times, T n' A has a very well established definition and suggests certain connotations to the product it's applied to. Granted, when TNA was new circa 2002-2003, T n' A were definitely at the forefront (ie; dancing girls in cages). Nowadays, though still edgier than the current WWE product, not so much.

With Eric Bischoff either at the helm or a significant player at the top, the company is looking for mass market acceptance no doubt. Bischoff made great strides in increasing production values and marketing WCW as an entertainment brand as well as a wrestling company. True, he had Ted Turner money to facilitate those actions, which he certainly doesn't have here. Still, the desires are no doubt the same.

Part of "increasing value" and "marketing as an entertainment brand" would certainly be to lose the TNA name and it's negative connotations I think. Though the verdict is still out as to whether the product will be renamed "Impact Wrestling" (or anything else for that matter), I can't imagine it would be a bad idea. The only thing I fear is that TNA may lose its "edge" in the process and become more media/family friendly like WWE has attempted. From reading the posts here, it seems like much of TNA's initial identity has been lost already, particularly over the last year and a half or so. A rename may be the last nail in the coffin.

As always, we'll all just have to wait and see.

The O.P asked for our thoughts on the rebranding. Those are my thoughts: it's a waste of time motivated by an incorrect assumption by the powers that be in TNA that changing the name of the company will improve the companies fortunes. I believe their time and effort would be better spent in changing the companies creative direction.

You do realize that Re-branding means changing everything and going into a different direction right?

The first step is to change the name and continue to take steps to change things around. I'm already seeing it but once again, people like you don't seem to notice the small changes that should lead to bigger ones going forward.

It's not going to happen the way you want. This isn't the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. There is no off-season to suddenly take a new direction.

The WWE went back to USA, which is a better network. But it was doing quite well on Spike, and in fact routinely had better ratings than it has had in the last few years. I mentioned this to show that Spike can't possibly be blamed for TNA's low ratings, as wrestling on the network has been successful in the past. Technically speaking, ECW on TNN also drew comparable ratings to Impact, despite having a fraction of the budget and the recognizable talent.

Yeah, Spike TV certainly can. They are 30th in cable viewership. USA is Top 3.

I'd love to see those Spike TV numbers during the WWE era there because I know it wasn't better than what they have done on USA.

Massive ratings? Are you joking? THAT'S a complete lie. And as for Hogan's debut, everyone on these boards speculated that TNA would receive a temporary boost in viewership thanks to Hogan's debut, and that they would have a limited amount of time to capitalize on it. They didn't, obviously. Ratings have shown some sign of improvement occasionally, but those occasions seem to be the exception and not the rule. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a ratings discussion with you. Mostly because TNA's defenders like to argue that they don't matter whenever someone points out how bad they are. But they are what they are and you can interpret them however you wish.

Really? So Hogan's debut drew a high of 3.4 million viewers. WWE averages 4 million for Monday Night Raw. That's not a huge difference. Therefore it is huge or massive for what TNA does.

During the Orlando Screwjob that got so heavily criticized they drew a Thursday high of 1.5 which was 2.9 million viewers which is equal to a SmackDown amount of viewers.

The first Post-BFG 2010 show drew a high of 3 million viewers. The weeks after said around 2 million per show.

Back in 2008, TNA drew 1.1 million viewers per show.

The purpose of getting people to buy into your stars and your image IS to increase your viewership
And, sometimes it doesn't increase. Did anyone buy into ECW/NXT? They drew 1.2 million viewers and never got higher.

Do you criticize that?

No. Nothing has improved. What's the difference?
You completely missed what I said. Read it again.

I'm sick to death of this line of reasoning. If someone dislikes TNA's current direction, it's because they are a 'smark', or a WWE fan, or whatever bullshit justification is convenient aside from accepting that people just genuinely aren't happy with the companies direction. This isn't a new direction that TNA is taking that I'm judging here; it's a rebranding, as you've so eloquently pointed out. Nobody is mentioning changing anything else with the company.
Really? You would be wrong.
Which, again, is my objection to this. It's a pointless name change when there's really zero evidence that one is necessary, or that it will help the company.

Name change = more opportunity to get new sponsors, advertises the company and get rid of the "What is TNA?" stigma that most WWE kids and parents are aware of.

There is over 40% of America that doesn't know they exist or think WWE should be the only "wrestling" company out there. Change the name, change your look and begin to market differently.

And even if rebranding does result in a temporary increase in viewership - just like Hogans debut - don't you think that if the same people remain in charge of the company that Impact Wrestling will become just as tarnished a brand as TNA currently is?

I'm pretty sure if they didn't want to change they wouldn't bother to look at name changes and re-branding their entire look.
And did I at any point claim that other posters were assuming the rebranding would result in some other changes in the company? No. I gave my opinion on why the name change is pointless, and explained it. It wasn't meant as a correction to some perceived error by other posters. I'm just explaining my reasoning. I honestly don't know why you TNA marks are so defensive and paranoid. I want TNA to succeed as much as you do. I just don't see how this will help, and I don't see the point in lying about my opinion.

First off, I'm no mark. Secondly, I am not being defensive. I'm defending the laws of logic.

Your complaining about rebranding and saying it's not going to mean anything. Rebranding means change the look, the feel and product.

Adding new talent, changing storylines,changing characters, etc. Going in a direction that will present success? How do you even expect change the direction of a company when there is plenty of storylines that must be completed before you go within that direction?

TNA is talking about using the rebrand to go on the road every week and bunch of other things that will make them money in large amounts.

I have no idea what else you thought it meant.

I don't like it. They've spent close to a decade building up the TNA brandname, they've got crowds chanting TNA, it's a name that's out there and it's taken them this far. Changing the name now is asking for trouble.

Total Non-stop Action wrestling Vs Impact Wrestling

I know which one I prefer the sound of. TNA sounds so pathetic it is unreal.

Trademarks don't always mean a name change don't forget :)

maybe I'm a little confused.
TNA trademarked "Impact Wrestling"
does this mean a lead to TNA no longer using "TNA" "Total Nonstop Action" ?
does "Impact Wrestling" become the name?

or is this something like "Impact Wrestling" just becoming the new name of the TV show on Thursday nights?

Thursday night at 9 PM on Spike TV, TNA "Impact Wrestling"
right now, the show on Thursday night on TV is just TNA Impact. if your looking through the guide/TV guide and see TNA Impact, you don't know it's wrestling. if this is just going to be TNA "Impact Wrestling" as the name of the TV show, then I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back