TNA Hartford, Round 1, Match 5: #5 Roddy Piper vs. #60 Santino Marella

Piper vs. Marella

• The Hot Rod

• The Milan Miracle

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the TNA Region inside of the six sided ring, from Hartford, CT.

#5. The Hot Rod, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Piper_Gateway_greeting.jpg

vs.

#60. Santino Marella
santino-marella-wwe-wallpaper-PSP.jpg

This comes down to one thing for me: Wrestlemania 8. Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart. That match was proof that Piper could wrestle a solid match. Marella hasn't done that yet. And goofy move that Marella can do, piper can do better. The sleeper finishers this one rather easily, and the legend moves on.

This goes to Piper with ease. Santino has really done very little in his career with WWE, while Piper is a legend. Piper has had some fairly good matches, and Santino hasn't really had any. Santino is here for comedy, and that is all. Piper wins here.

Piper managed to train Cousin Sal to beat Santino, and got the better of him during their brief feud last year. In his prime, Piper would have made light work of Santino, whose one claim to fame is fluking a win over Umaga.

I do quite like Santino and am not tired of the joke yet, but I just can't see anyway at all he'd win this, even with a roll up.

Are you kidding me? This match is a joke. Santino all the way.

First of all, he was the GREATEST Intercontinental Champion of all the times, Piper can't say that.

Rowdy Rodney the Piper wears a skirt, becasue he doesn't have the same leg muscles to show off as Santino.

Santino is resourceful. He almost beat one of the best champions in the WWE, with both his hands tied behind his back. Beware the rolling attack!

The Glamazon is much hotter than any girlfriend Rodney has ever had.

It only takes 3 seconds for a roll up. Santino has pinned men such as Umaga and Shelton Benjamin, both of which who were much better wrestlers than Piper ever was. Santino is crafty enough to put himself in a situation to win any match.

Only 8 rounds until Santio becomes the greatest WZ Tournament Champion of all the times!

Rowdy Roddy Piper has headlined the biggest PPVs of both WWF and WCW. Also, he has guest-starred in an episode of Walker: Texas Ranger. You have to be a tough nut to be in the same presence of Chuck.

Piper can box, street fight, mat wrestle...he's an overall very good athlete and talented in many forms of fighting. He's got a killer instinct that has seen him beat Hogan and countless other legendary grapplers.

Santino has not even fought at a Wrestlemania, he has a show on WWE.com, and he seems to have a bunch of blind followers on WZ.

Piper takes it in a landslide.

Piper wins in a squash, for fuck sake Santino is nothing more than a glorified jobber, Piper is one of the greatest to step in the ring in his prime, he'd make short work of the walking punchline that is Shitino, this match lasts two mins. tops

Santino Marella

yh4ugv72.jpg

The WWE has had one dominant force since April 16th, 2007. That man is none other than Santino Marella. Santino has one of the best introductory matches in history. He marched into the ring after being hand picked by Vince McMahon to fight against his dominant monster, Umaga. Umaga at this time was unstoppable, un-defeatable, and on a path to destroying Billionaire Donald Trump's Beat: Bobby Lashley.

Now Santino marched into the ring, and fought Umaga in an epic battle. Despite being a non disqualification match, a match suited towards a monster like Umaga, Santino took the early advantage. Until suddenly, Bobby Lashley not wanting to be updone by Santino Marella, came to the ring to interfere. Santino shook it off and was able to destroy Umaga, thus becoming the first ever wrestler to win the Intercontinental Championship in their debut match.

The Milan Miracle is born. Santino Marella was able to continue his dominance destroying Chris Masters easily throughout the late Spring. Umaga once again came back looking for his title. They met in the greatest match in Vengence: Night Of Champions history, and once again Santino Marella came out on top. This set out to prove Santino was a main eventer in the company. He decided as a reward to Umaga that he would present Umaga with the Intercontinental Championship. After the ceremonial pin by Umaga Santino set out for bigger things.

Santino began to date up and coming star Maria, thus becoming the hottest couple ever in the WWE history. In the mean time, Santino began to feud with former WWE Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin. Obviously Santino had intimidated Stone Cold, that Austin had refused to come to the ring. Santino would taunt Austin, by singing to the song Rehab, by Amy Winehouse, this intimidating Austin even more. Austin Eventually entered the ring, and was so intimidating, he had to use a pressurized hose just to take Santino down.

Santino's girlfriend was allowed to enter playboy, only on the fact that Santino was dating her. At this time, him and Carlito began an impressive tag team, defeating the tag team champions during the time. At this time, Rowdy Roddy Piper began to interfere with Santino, already worrying about this tournament.

Santino than began a program where him, and his new girlfriend, who was not a ****e, Beth Phoenix began teaming together. The two of them later began feuding with Kofi Kingston and some gross ****e. They won the IC and Woman's championship, this becoming more powerful than Obama and Michelle. In this time, Santino was able to make a former great belt even greater as he went on an incredible winning streak with the belt. Has anyone on this earth loved this belt more than him? I do not. On the way through his streak, Roddy Piper cast a record 1,000,000 votes to make sure he would not have to face Santino at Cyber Sunday. Santino later realized there was more to life than the IC belt, and choose Beth Phoenix over him.

This is the story of Santino Maralla. No one can deny that he should go over ...that Scottish fellow. Vote Santino.

* Ohio Valley Wrestling
o OVW Television Championship (2 times)[11]

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI ranked him #91 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2008[36]

* World Wrestling Entertainment
o WWE Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[37]

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
o Best Gimmick (2007, 2008)

The Match

Santino would come down to the ring, and cut one of the most bone chilling promos of all time, causing Roddy Piper to cry. He would enter the ring, and be destroyed by the roll of doom. Santino would then hit him with the neck breaker, and enjoy some Pasta Fagiolli while Roddy Piper is getting up. In this time, Santino would grab him from behind, hit the roll up of doom, and the match would be over.

Winner:

Santino Marella!

^ I couldn't have put that any better. Despite all of the evidence pointing toward what a dominant and nearly unbeatable wrestler when he needs to be, I'm sure many people will not vote for him because supposedly he "can't wrestle"

Well, I got news for you. He can wrestle, at least enought to beat some of the top atheletes in the largest wrestling promotion in the world, that should easily get him past Rodney the Piper.

TM's rep is worthless compared to the all mighty Admin Rep, so keep that in mine before the Fan Club hijacks this thread.

Anyways, Roddy Piper in a walk. Santino, as much as I enjoy the man, is nothing more then a career comedy wrestler at this point. He's a funny man on the mic, but when he gets in the ring, he gets his ass kicked by everyone, including the women.

Piper on the other hand was the best heel in the business. Without Piper, there would be no Hulkamania. Piper was the heel that made Hulkamania work in its infancy, and it went crazy from there. Besides the fact that piper was an IC and US title hodler when those belts meant something as well. Besides Piper headlining both Wrestlemania and Starrcade, and besides Piper never losing to Hulk Hogan in a match. Yes, this one is easy.

Okay i get Santino is really funny and all but how the hell does that help him win an actual match, he was carried by Carlito when they tagged, he's only won by roll up, and nowadays he needs the Beth Phoenix to come out and do all the work for him.

Please don't turn this in to a cheap popularity contest that ends up knocking out a hall of famer, and someone who should easily cruise through to the second round, as he has actually proved his worth as a wrestler, and was just as funny to watch in his prime. Hopefully Rowdy coconuts Santino like he did to Snuka

Santino will win. I predict he will dodge a cheap shot from HotRod and then execute a 'la mistica', a hurricanrana-to-armbar transition. Hot Rod taps out at 0:12. Then Santino celebrates by having a live-sex celebration with Beth Pheonix.
All-a Hail-a Santino Marella! :worship:

Edit: TM, held me at gun-point.. I had no other option or I could end up like the poor lad in this emoticon >>>> :shooter:

Santino's mic work aside, I'm not a fan at all. And in honesty, whatever aspect you look at, Santino pales in comparison to Piper. Piper's had some of the most important, entertaining feuds in the history of the business, won championship gold when prestige was at an all-time high, and for my money was the greatest heel in wrestling.

Roddy should win this one with ease.

Let's see. How many WM's has Roddy Piper been in? How many WM's has Santino been a valet in? Ok, Santino's funny, but Piper's funny and has a wealth of wrestling experience that sorta trumps anything Santino has done.

Ok, he's awesome, but everything he is, Piper has done and then some.

Santino will win. I predict he will dodge a cheap shot from HotRod and then execute a 'la mistica', a hurricanrana-to-armbar transition. Hot Rod taps out at 0:12. Then Santino celebrates by having a live-sex celebration with Beth Pheonix.
All-a Hail-a Santino Marella! :worship:

Edit: TM, held me at gun-point.. I had no other option or I could end up like the poor lad in this emoticon >>>> :shooter:

I don't know what's more annoying, the fact that your post is supporting Marella over Piper, or the fact that you feel the need to use a smiley everytime you post.

Marella is a horrible wrestler, some say he's funny, I personally don't see it myself, but when has funny had anything to do with it?

Marelllas mic skills agsint Pipers....Piper wins
Marellas in ring skills against Pipers...Piper wins
Canadians playing someone from another country...Piper wins
Marellas experience against Pipers...Piper wins

Piper is a HOFer, a greater IC champion, an all round better wrestler than Marella.

Sorry kiddas.

As much as I like Santino and know matter how entertaining he is, he is a comedy jobber. And that is what he lives by and that is what he'll do in this tourney. He will make us laugh in this short match against Piper, but Hot Rod will put him away and Santino can return to his casa and film another episode and give us some tourney play by play.

Seeing as I am half Scottish it is obvious who I will vote for. Santino Marella. How dare that guy from Canada pretend he's from Scotland.

Yes Piper beats Santino in a wrestling match, but I refuse to vote for the guy. In wrestling he is a legend, I respect him greatly, but his piss poor Scottish accent means he can fuck off.

Santino is enjoyable as a comedy jobber thats it. Piper is a deadset legend and wins this won very very very easily.

Ladies and gentlemen, you seem to be forgetting the video that TM or whoever constantly shows non-believers. The one of Santino in his old character. This tournament does not speak of one character, but of a while career. And Anthony Carelli has done more than he needs to do to prove that he can beat Rodney The Piper. Santino Marella was the greatest Intercontinental champion of all the times. Roddy Piper can't claim that. Santino is a two time Intercontinental champ, two time OVW Television champ, and two time winner of Wrestling Observer's Best Gimmick Award. Santino Marella is incredible.

By the way, here's the video I was referencing.

[youtube]wZMrOV22rRc[/youtube]

Santino Marella

yh4ugv72.jpg

The WWE has had one dominant force since April 16th, 2007. That man is none other than Santino Marella. Santino has one of the best introductory matches in history. He marched into the ring after being hand picked by Vince McMahon to fight against his dominant monster, Umaga. Umaga at this time was unstoppable, un-defeatable, and on a path to destroying Billionaire Donald Trump's Beat: Bobby Lashley.

Now Santino marched into the ring, and fought Umaga in an epic battle. Despite being a non disqualification match, a match suited towards a monster like Umaga, Santino took the early advantage. Until suddenly, Bobby Lashley not wanting to be updone by Santino Marella, came to the ring to interfere. Santino shook it off and was able to destroy Umaga, thus becoming the first ever wrestler to win the Intercontinental Championship in their debut match.

The Milan Miracle is born. Santino Marella was able to continue his dominance destroying Chris Masters easily throughout the late Spring. Umaga once again came back looking for his title. They met in the greatest match in Vengence: Night Of Champions history, and once again Santino Marella came out on top. This set out to prove Santino was a main eventer in the company. He decided as a reward to Umaga that he would present Umaga with the Intercontinental Championship. After the ceremonial pin by Umaga Santino set out for bigger things.

Santino began to date up and coming star Maria, thus becoming the hottest couple ever in the WWE history. In the mean time, Santino began to feud with former WWE Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin. Obviously Santino had intimidated Stone Cold, that Austin had refused to come to the ring. Santino would taunt Austin, by singing to the song Rehab, by Amy Winehouse, this intimidating Austin even more. Austin Eventually entered the ring, and was so intimidating, he had to use a pressurized hose just to take Santino down.

Santino's girlfriend was allowed to enter playboy, only on the fact that Santino was dating her. At this time, him and Carlito began an impressive tag team, defeating the tag team champions during the time. At this time, Rowdy Roddy Piper began to interfere with Santino, already worrying about this tournament.

Santino than began a program where him, and his new girlfriend, who was not a ****e, Beth Phoenix began teaming together. The two of them later began feuding with Kofi Kingston and some gross ****e. They won the IC and Woman's championship, this becoming more powerful than Obama and Michelle. In this time, Santino was able to make a former great belt even greater as he went on an incredible winning streak with the belt. Has anyone on this earth loved this belt more than him? I do not. On the way through his streak, Roddy Piper cast a record 1,000,000 votes to make sure he would not have to face Santino at Cyber Sunday. Santino later realized there was more to life than the IC belt, and choose Beth Phoenix over him.

This is the story of Santino Maralla. No one can deny that he should go over ...that Scottish fellow. Vote Santino.

* Ohio Valley Wrestling

o PWI ranked him #91 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2008[36]

The Match

Santino would come down to the ring, and cut one of the most bone chilling promos of all time, causing Roddy Piper to cry. He would enter the ring, and be destroyed by the roll of doom. Santino would then hit him with the neck breaker, and enjoy some Pasta Fagiolli while Roddy Piper is getting up. In this time, Santino would grab him from behind, hit the roll up of doom, and the match would be over.

Winner:

Santino Marella!

Piper. Why? Because if you need to do all this for a first round victory, you suck.

The match would be funny as hell, don't get me wrong. But, eventually Piper goes with a thumb to the eye, and applies the sleeper hold. Marella will cry, use his tears to slide out, and then Piper will knock him out with a few left hooks.

Santino Marella

yh4ugv72.jpg

* Ohio Valley Wrestling

The Match

Winner:

Santino Marella!

You had to copy and paste shit from his Wiki page in order to put together even a half way decent argument for Shitino?:lmao:

That's just pathetic, even at Pipers age now he is better than Shitino, the fact that Piper is in a match at WM25 and Shitino couldn't even beat a woman to get into the Diva toilet break match is proof of this, Piper is squash

I thought this match did happen on Smackdown with Cousin Salvadore. I think that without birthday cake to the face (this isnt ECW fellas, calm down!) that santino would take advantage of the situation with quick thinking and a smart pull of the tights...or kilt

This match is closer than most give it credit for. First off, what WWE legend for Piper's era has ever done anything worth mentioning in TNA. The answer is none. The fact is most wouldn't even know what to do in a six sided ring. Piper would probably try to irish whip somebody into the turnbuckle, only to turn around and see the bounced off the ropes and slammed right back into him. Santino on the other hand has several years of MMA fighting in Japan under his belt and would be more comfortable in a six-sided ring. Also young small middle card talents have shown to perform quite well in TNA, see Ron Killings, Jeff Hardy and Christian Cage.

And two, what has Piper really done o deserve the recognition he's received. In WWE, he was nothing more than a glorified interviewer who wrestled in a couple of be draw matches, see Wrestlemania 1 (he lost by the way), Wrestlemania 2 with Mr T (lost again) and a couple of classics, see Wrestlemania with Bret Hart (lost) and Goldust (he finally won one). He had one IC title reign and one Tag title reign and one US title reign. Out of the 3, his IC title reign was the longest at a whole 77 days. He did have prior success in the regional wrestling territories of the 70's and 80's, but nothing too big with either of the two big companies WWF or WCW. He was considered to be one of the best heels during his era, but rarely would you see a match out of him and never would you see him string together a few good feuds. He never won the big one, and feuded exclusively with the big stars, and hence brought out strong feuds and excellent matches.

Santino on the other hand has 2 IC title reigns, one that matched the length of Pipers and one that exceeded it. He has feuded with everyone from Batista and Cena to Mickie James and D'Lo Brown and has made each and everyone of them look good. He was ranked 91 out of 500 wrestlers in 2008, an incredible good rank considering he was in the top 5 in loses in the WWE, but remember TNA rules, so his WWE record doesn't count. 91, and everyone calls him a joke in the ring. This man is about the most entertaining thing on RAW, he out popped Cena on RAW, main evented it as well, and is as entertaining as Piper is on the mic, Santino is just as equal to the challenge, and always gets a strong reaction from the crowd. Piper lays claim to carrying Mr.T through his match at Wrestlemania. Santino carried an out of shape nobody of Jimmy Kimmel, cousin Sal, through a match as well. Which do you think is tougher?

In summary, Piper is a legend. But Santino has just as much talent as Piper does, both inside and out of the ring. We look at wrestling solely as real, it's a even split. Piper accomplished more, but Santino may have a better chance inside the 6-sided ring. We look at wrestling the way we do, it's still close but I give the edge to Santino. He's a huge draw on the mic, has major heat, and while Piper had great matches with other wrestling legends, Santino pulls out good matches with every average wrestlers and women wrestlers like Mickie James. You tell me what's harder.

First off, what WWE legend for Piper's era has ever done anything worth mentioning in TNA.
What does this have to do with this match at all?

The fact is most wouldn't even know what to do in a six sided ring.
How so? Piper has worked for many different promotions, all with different sized rings and ropes. I'm sure he's smart enough to adapt to the TNA ring beforehand. He has made appearances in TNA you know.

Also young small middle card talents have shown to perform quite well in TNA, see Ron Killings, Jeff Hardy and Christian Cage.
Do you think Roddy is some dunce with the IQ of a pea-pod? The guy could be smart and methodical. He's been in the TNA ring before, unlike Santino. He'd have no problem adapting to it.

And two, what has Piper really done o deserve the recognition he's received.
Uh, well let's see. He was a part of the biggest, most important feud of the 80's, putting Hulkamania on the map and helping make WresteMania a success, was the biggest heel magnet in the promotion, yet became one of the most popular faces of all-time, had a revolutionary talk show which influenced every other one you've seen since, he was apart of some of the best matches in wrestling history, and actually worked hard in solid, classic matches to win his titles.

Santino couldn't even win his titles on his own, is over because of his accent and gets beaten off women. Yet people have the nerve to compare him to Piper :lmao:

In WWE, he was nothing more than a glorified interviewer
He sure was pretty over for "nothing more than a glorified interviewer", huh?

who wrestled in a couple of be draw matches
Need I break out the Santino Marella win/loss record?

see Wrestlemania 1 (he lost by the way)
The historical significance outweighs the fact that he lost.

and a couple of classics
Yeah, in comparison to Santino. Remember those classics he had with....uh, someone help me out here?

see Wrestlemania with Bret Hart (lost)
There's absolutely no shame in losing to Bret Hart. And that match is lightyears better than every Santino match combined.

and Goldust (he finally won one).
A pretty decent brawl. But it pales in comparison to that classic he had with Micke James the other week, no contest.

He had one IC title reign
Piper didn't need titles to get over. He was already a huge star years before he'd even won the Intercontinental championship.

one US title reign.
Which was fought in one of the most gruelling matches of that decade. Not to mention prestige was at an all-time high.

He did have prior success in the regional wrestling territories of the 70's and 80's
Only more proof that he was successful everywhere he wrestled.

He was considered to be one of the best heels during his era
He was the greatest hell of his era, no question about it.

but rarely would you see a match out of him and never would you see him string together a few good feuds.
He's certainly had many more interesting matches and feuds than Santino has.

He never won the big one
So what? Neither has Santino.

Santino on the other hand has 2 IC title reigns
Oh boy, everybody remembers that first title reign. He couldn't even win the title by himself! And that second one, damn, what a classic. So classic that he didn't even actually win the match, his girlfriend did!

He has feuded with everyone from Batista and Cena to Mickie James and D'Lo Brown and has made each and everyone of them look good.
:lmao: :lmao:

Santino Marella made John Cena and Batista look good? :lmao:

He was ranked 91 out of 500 wrestlers in 2008, an incredible good rank
Roddy Piper was ranked 17th of all the times. But really, as worthless as the PWI argument is, Roddy still annihilates Santino in awards.

Which do you think is tougher?
I think it's tougher to headline pay-per-views with the likes of Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair and come out on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back