TNA continuing it's Live Monday broadcasts: What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Occasional Pre-Show
I don't really see anything positive about going LIVE. Why can't they just film it on Monday at 3 PM, do the quick fixes, and then air it at 8/9 PM? They shouldn't be going live just yet.

HOWEVER, the performers and the FUCKING CAMERAMEN should start treating it like it's a live show. The cameramen missed too many shots, and Homicide getting stuck in the Asylum.... Alright, I laughed my ass off, but that's besides the point.

What does TNA have to gain by doing a live show? It just gives more room to look second-rate to WWE, which is the last thing I want. These days, the only shows I really watch with my full attention are TNA and ECW, and that's mostly because I will always mark for Regal and Shelton.

Now, my biggest issue is... doesn't it seem like TNA's losing a head of steam with a 10 day gap between shows? Going from Jan 4th to Jan 14th without any airtime seems foolish. People might calm down about Hogan if they have to wait so long. Why didn't they do a like, one hour show on Thursday, instead of just a repeat? If TNA goes live again soon, will they show another repeat on Thursday?

If TNA wants to go up against RAW, that's great. But there's really no need to do it live. At least give yourself an hour to throw in some quick fixes. Remember, Hogan's been in the back all day.

"What's the point?" I think it's extremely obvious what the point is: become the number one sports entertainment company in the world! Bischoff and Hogan only said it like sixty-two times last week.

I understand what you're saying, and the show definitely has a long way to go. There were plenty of mistakes last week that frustrated me, but "there's really no need to do it live?" NOTHING compares to the feeling and atmosphere of a live show. Hate to say this, but practice makes perfect man, and that's what they need.

Plus, all we would have to do is read spoilers before Raw and there would be no need to watch iMPACT! other than parts we "really want to see." Why the hell would TNA do that?

Great Point SMB. Until TNA can get its production level up they could certianly use the extra time to edit their product. I think most of us can all agree that TNA usually wins the battle when it comes to wrestling matches. If anything proves to be the downfall of TNA it will be the poor production and off the wall story lines. Filming the show earlier that day would allow TNA to keep their episodes relatively spoiler free (results leaked online) while giving them enough time to clean up their product for Monday Night TV.

The best reason to go live is that if feels live. That's the big reason that Raw is seen as better than Smackdown. you can't cheat and read ahead in a broadcast that's live and that makes it feel better to me.

A) Because going live means that it is in competition with Raw. It wants to be the best wrestling company in the world...beating Vince would be what it takes to get there.

B) A 3pm show means an empty Impact Zone. People have jobs and stuff, and they can't take off every Monday to see Impact. That would be a complete disaster.

In one of the WWE documentaries I watched (I think it was "The Monday Night Wars"? ...maybe it was "The Rise and Fall of WCW"...possibly both), Eric Bischoff said it best:

He said that when WCW conducted focus groups for what wrestling fans liked, the number-one aspect was unpredictability. He went on to say that you just can't get that unpredictable feeling in a taped-environment. I'm obviously paraphrasing his words, but you get the idea.

Bischoff is 100% right. You can't get that feeling that "anything could happen" if the show is taped. We would read results on the internet before the show happened, and the show wouldn't be as enjoyable. Sure, those of us who want to be surprised could skip reading the results, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I, for one, am GLAD that TNA is going live. The production value will go up as they go, it's part of the process. Almost like the original ECW was....even though most of their shows were taped, they left in the mistakes and it gave it more of that "real" feeling. Bischoff knows what wrestling fans want, and that is unpredictability. Those are my two cents anyway, for what they're worth.

In one of the WWE documentaries I watched (I think it was "The Monday Night Wars"? ...maybe it was "The Rise and Fall of WCW"...possibly both), Eric Bischoff said it best:

He said that when WCW conducted focus groups for what wrestling fans liked, the number-one aspect was unpredictability. He went on to say that you just can't get that unpredictable feeling in a taped-environment. I'm obviously paraphrasing his words, but you get the idea.

Bischoff is 100% right. You can't get that feeling that "anything could happen" if the show is taped. We would read results on the internet before the show happened, and the show wouldn't be as enjoyable. Sure, those of us who want to be surprised could skip reading the results, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I, for one, am GLAD that TNA is going live. The production value will go up as they go, it's part of the process. Almost like the original ECW was....even though most of their shows were taped, they left in the mistakes and it gave it more of that "real" feeling. Bischoff knows what wrestling fans want, and that is unpredictability. Those are my two cents anyway, for what they're worth.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but until they get competent cameramen, it's just too risky. They need to start treating their tapings like it's live, and say, you make a major fuck up you get a small pay cut for that day. I don't know, if a Knockout botches an in ring promo they have to have unprotected sex with Steiner. Don't fire them, but go, "You can't drop the ball. Here's a slap on the wrist." Homicide messing up trying to climb out wasn't too significant, but on the first live Impact EVER, you want to give a strong showing immediately. What they should have done was had an X-Division Gauntlet match, instead of the Asylum match.

Until they're comfortable with a live show, and can go with only one or two minor mistakes, they'll need to do some minor editing. Maybe just do a one hour delay and edit there. Start taping at 8 PM and air it at 9.

I know it's something that has to change if TNA wants to be #1, but to be perfectly honest, I actually like the lower production values of Impact compared to Raw. It makes me feel like I'm watching something underground and subversive and makes TNA feel like the underdog, and lets face it, it's fun to root for the underdog.

Like I said, I know it has to change and improve, but for right now, it works for me, and for that matter, even the mistakes on the live Impact were, at least to me, a good sign. It showed they were actually trying something new and taking some risks. They didn't just go out and put on the safe show. Sure, they could have done some kind of X-Division gauntlet match or tournament, but why do that when you can bring out the Steel fucking Asylum? They tried to go that extra mile, and yeah they failed miserably, but dammit they tried, and I respect that.

Because, in my opinion, cage matches sort of limit the X-Division. I went to Lockdown 2007... or... 2008. Pretty sure it was 2008. Joe won the belt. Anyway, it was a rather boring PPV, compared to all the others. There's a lot less you can do when one side of the ropes is cut off, at least for what I'll call a cruiserweight division. Plus, they could have put a LOT more talent in a Gauntlet match, like, 15. You go "Here's most of the X-Division, and here's our Royal Rumble style of match, and the WWE's Royal Rumble is soon! Ours is EVEN BETTER."

To respond to the above poster, I like the lower production value too. The setup WWE used when Piper hosted was actually my favorite. Instead of a titantron, the graphic plays on a big door. That was awesome. I loved it.

Obviously TNA needs to make the move to monday nights and must go live. Its simply the next step in their attempt to put a dent in the WWEs armor. They've been slowly working their way up the ladder by getting on spike, then prime time, then two hours, a live show, and finally now a Monday live show. Its just the next step in their evolution.

Will it work? I honestly believe TNA has an opportunity to become as much of a competition as WCW was back in the day. While they have the opportunity, moving to Monday nights, live, just isn't enough to do it. This thread is focusing on whether or not going live is the issue but in reality, TNA has many other issues that need to be addressed.

While it could have been a mark out moment for some to see the NWO back together, it was just a moment. If TNA is going to succeed, then it wont be because of hogans buddies. Bringing in WWE stars is what made WCW successful and it can do the same for TNA. But focusing on val venis, orlando jordan, the nasty boys, hall and waltman...these are just has beens and never was' kind of guys. Definitely not was TNA needs to succeed.

On the other hand, guys like Jeff Hardy (pending legal issues) Pope dinero, and desmond wolfe are the kind of guys to bring in and push, they're young and have unlimited amounts of potential. you can make stars out of them. Instead of focusing on old washed up guys, TNA needs to bring in young talent that WWE missed the boat on like evan bourne, jack swagger, mr. kennedy ( if he's healthy) london and kendrick...these are the kind of talent TNA should be bringing in to boost the roster.

This is one of the many reasons why TNA wont succeed, they need to stop worrying about bringing in guys that no one cares about and bring in the ones who can be made into stars, that is in fact how wwe destroyed wcw, steve austin, HHH, mick foley, all wcw rejects who were turned into superstars.

Well considering that the numbers for TNA went up significantly compared to their usual ratings, my guess is that they want to see if last time was a fluke or not.

I, for one, support their choice to do so. Especially since we now know that John Cena isn't going to be getting a title shot anytime soon, so the fans won't have anything important to look forward to.

A live wrestling show has an immense feeling, before 4 1 10 Impact was getting stales as hell, but when they went live with Hogans debut it was one of the best feelings. Especially if you have the right crowd, When Hogan came to the ring he probably got the longest recpetion in wrestling history yet when poor Bret Hart came to the ring, he only got a 'Welcome back' chant.

On the other hand i dont want TNA to live every week because it wont be special for long, but also they shouldnt try to compete with Mcmahon head to head. The guy is getting old, he isnt 50 no more, he cant deal with direct competition no more, its not healthy for his age. He must of been fuming when he heard TNA got a 1.5 against raw.

TNA going live again will be a good thing. You won't have the cheesey old guys coming in and making their impact. This time around you will have the cheesey old guys do interviews. So it might work out better, because everyone wants to hear "WOoooooooooOOOOOOooooo" again.. haha..

Flair on the mic is good tv, and whatever is going to go on about Flair and A.J. it could be interesting.. Flair as a manager? metor? All could be good..

nWo ok, this could work.... They need to get rid of Hall and use some of the young TNA dudes.. like Shelly or Joe.. If they do the nWo this time they need to keep it small 6 guys and that's it..

TNA nWo should be, Nash, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelly, Joe, Daniels, Steiner just for cheese!.. There that could work.. It will help push Sabin and Shelly. That is something they need..

One of the problems i have with them going live on Monday night is that it look way to much like if they giving us a free PPV. So with why would i want to paid 35$ for a sunday PPV if i could get the same quality broadcast for free the following day?

As far as the production value is concern, there no reason why it was that poor last monday night, it'S not like the production team didn'T have any experience filming live in the IMPACT Zone, they've been producing PPV LIVE at the IMPACT Zone for the last 5 years, they should be able to know what to do right now.

Right now, after the first live broadcast of IMPACT, i've got to say that TNA look like a second rate show that was trying way too hard to become number one. TNA doesn'T need that so what i'm saying is that i would agree that TNA Impact is a way better product when it'S tape. At less they have time to correct some of the mistakes they made during the taping. If last monday's show was tape instead of being live, i'm sure Hogan would have looked a lot better then i did.

For me, TNA going live is more important right now than moving to Mondays, with moving to a live show every Monday being the ultimate goal. One of the best parts of the live 1/4/10 show was the live crowd to react to all the surprises that TNA had.

I know that all the chanting was the same as you normally see on the taped Impacts, but it really did seem different live. The smaller live crowd was a much better atmosphere than the larger, mostly dead crowd for RAW. It almost had a ECW-type feel to it.

As for why TNA would want to move to a live Monday Impact to go against RAW, I quote one of TNA's newest employees:

" To Be The Man, You Have To Beat The Man"

Whoooooooo!

The point of TNA going live, as Ricky first put it, is that it will mean it is competition. Ratings will grow quickly, money will start pouring in, and the next logical step would be to take it national.

They'll leave the Impact Zone, and start filling up venues, and putting on pay-per-views in larger arenas. It's all a chain reaction, and putting a taped show on is simply the first step.

This also helps us to really understand the roster, and who is worth cheering for. Obviously guys like AJ, Angle, Abyss, and Joe all worked great on a live show. So did Dinero and Wolfe. We've seen guys like Daniels excel on pay-per-view. But what about the rest of the guys?

I love this idea.

There are some simple answers to "what's the point?"

- Head to head competition with RAW allows people to switch to TNA if they are bored with something on RAW
- Casual wrestling fans will probably be more likely to switch between 2 shows on at the same time than commit 2 days to wrestling TV

The biggest answer to why go live head to head is simply that if you are NOT lives, why watch the show? If two shows are on at the same time and one is live and the other has results posted online...it's simple to see which one people are going to watch.

But I do agree that the camera work is horrendous.

first off. the 1/4/2010 show wasn't the first live show for TNA Impact. they did a live show in Vegas at the Hard-rock on the night that the MEM was formed. but as for going live now and on monday, everyone who has spoken so far is absolutely right. there is nothing like the feeling you get from watching a live show not only are the botches there to be seen you also can't get the results for the show before it airs.
and as for going against raw every week that is the ultimate goal. and the sooner the better even with the lower production that isn't shit. they need fans and running a thursday taped show isn't working but putting it up against raw is perfect because if Raw sucks they can switch and watch impact. look how fast WCW grew after going live on mondays against raw. It is smart buisness.

I think that if TNA actually does go live again, it would only do the company good. Last time they did, they had a record breaking audience, so either they lose popularity at the worst and gain it at the best.

If TNA can pull a good rating like 2.0 then they should continue to go live every now and then. But if the rating is lower than last weeks or the same then what???? they cant afford to lose the small audience it has, and with WWE starting its road to wrestlemania going head to head is not that great of an idea right now.

A large WWE audience may turn to TNA when they get a commercial break or a diva match, maybe thats what TNA is hoping for. but they have to put on the best they have period to gain wwe fans the hogan rush will die down and its what TNA can do to capitalize afterwards that willl push them forward. We all know that Monday is the biggest day in TV programming, so gaining some viewers isnt hard to do when moving from a thursday with an already taped show to a live one.

Im sure if smackdown went live on Monday vs Raw it would draw record numbers also

A) Because going live means that it is in competition with Raw. It wants to be the best wrestling company in the world...beating Vince would be what it takes to get there.

B) A 3pm show means an empty Impact Zone. People have jobs and stuff, and they can't take off every Monday to see Impact. That would be a complete disaster.

I'm unsure, but do you think the OP meant for the show to air at 3pm? Because he didn't. As for the Impact Zone being empty I disagree. It's a free show. They will always be able to find people to take a seat for it. The bigger problem really is that going to a taped show for Monday night competition against WWE goes against everything Bischoff is about. Bischoff knows, and is right, that wrestling shows need to be live to really put the audience on their heels. It's probably the most important aspect of the Monday Night Wars.

While I doubt Vince would ever announce the results to Impact the way that Bischoff did to Raw, I have no doubt they might place their big, important segments against those of Impact. This is why Impact absolutely needs to be live if it's going to go Monday. I personally think that TNA should have looked at going live on Thursday. I don't neccessarily understand why wrestling has to be in the same time slot against one another. However, like last time, it does increase the audience as was evident on Jan 4th.

Live is way better than taped when it comes to wrestling. RAW sucked when it was taped, it still does when they tape it overseas and air it here in the U.S. taped. I fail to see how, according to you, TNA would look second rate going live against RAW but not if it's recorded a few hours earlier? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The whole atmosphere of the live iMPACT! last week felt great. Yes, they still look second rate because they're running in the "iMPACT! Zone" while RAW is being held in arenas that seat thousands of fans. But I thought the production in TNA was far better than usual and only a couple of steps down from WWE which is saying a lot since the WWE is still amazing when it comes to production.

But I think TNA really should go live if they're going to air on Monday night.

Dixie Carter has said on multiple occassions that she wants TNA to be the #1 wrestling company in the world. In order to do that, having a live broadcast is simply going to be necessary. It's an important piece of the puzzle. TNA scored a 1.5 against Raw last week in the Nielsen Ratings and that's encouraging. It's not an out of the world fantastic rating, but it's an encouraging one all the same.

I don't think TNA is going to make a permanent move to Monday nights without at least one more test run. Let's face it, one reason why TNA may well have done as well as they did was because Hulk Hogan was advertised as not only being part of TNA but was also making his first actual appearance on the show. Before Spike agrees to have TNA move to Mondays on a permanent basis in live broadcasts head to head against Raw, they're going to want to see if TNA can score the kind of numbers they had last week. For all the executives at Spike now, last week could have been a fluke due to the attention garnered by all the advertisements of Hulk Hogan's involvement. Then again, they might do just as well, if not better, than they did last time.

A live broadcast is an essential element. When it comes to taped shows, all anyone has to do is look up the iMPACT taping results online. Based on what they read, they might decide to tune in to watch the show and then again they might not. With a live show, you have to watch in order to see what happens. It's not the only essential element that TNA has to have if they want to compete with the WWE, but it is an important one.

You cant film something in the afternoon and then have it air hours later, People read the results and dont watch them the ratings go down. So its not any different than what they are doing right now for thursdays really

TNA doing more monday live shows would be the best thing to happen to wrestling since back when WCW was still around. Live shows are better than taped shows because a live show can still handle little changes at the last minute whereas with taped shows all you can do is edit. Lots of fans want to see the second ratings war, TNA would be giving all those fans what they want by competing with Raw.

So TNA had a couple of small issues with their last monday show. That's not that big of a deal. They can learn from their mistakes (there weren't many) and improve in the future. If they don't keep trying to do live shows then they will not get a chance to practice or improve, making them too dependent on taped shows. Doing live shows also helps the wrestlers out because they will have the same mentality of "this is going to be seen right NOW" like they would at a PPV, they will become more used to it.

Also, the idea of a one hour show on Thursday was a bad idea. The people who didn't get a chance to see the live Impact on monday can still catch it on the rerun on thursdays. It's a great format to use honestly.

So TNA isn't on the level WCW once was.... give them the time to get there! We as fans are going to be the ones who benefit the most from a new ratings war between the two top federations because they will be going out of their way to get us to watch their shows, like in the old days.

TNA doing more monday live shows is a FANTASTIC thing because that is even one more clue that the next boom in wrestling could be approaching us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back