Title Reign of the Year

What is the Title Reign of the Year in 2011?

• The Miz - WWE Title

• Dolph Ziggler - US Title

• Cody Rhodes - Intercontinental Title

• Mark Henry - World Heavyweight Championship

• John Cena - WWE Title

• CM Punk - WWE Title

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be fair, The Miz was booked as a very weak champion. Perhaps the weakest in history. The guy's point holds merit.

I don't believe Miz's title run was creditable. After all; I can't think of one time where he picked up a clean victory. Everytime it was either Alex Rilex hitting John Cena with the briefcase or Michael Cole grabbing Jerry Lawler's leg. Remember that time when Cena and Miz where in a Tables Match and John Cena put Alex Riley through a table, the ref was knocked down and The Miz put John Cena on the remains of the bust table. I just couldn't believe he got away with that many dirty victories and Alex Riley was NEVER banned from ringside.

The referee got up and declared Miz the winner. I can't remember if the decision was reversed; but I can remember The Miz walked out that night the champion. Overall I gotta go for Mark Henry's title run as the biggest title reign of the year. He was a 'monster' heel and he entered The Big Show, Kane and others into his 'crowded' hall of pain. Mark also picked up a few matches to his name where he got himself intentionally disqualified but as a heel, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, huh? 1 or 2 times is fine but The Miz's title reign was un-legit in every way possible.

Sorry for the long post. :shrug:

Bolded for emphasis.

Also, that's a crock of shit and you know it. Miz went over clean against guys that he should, like Morrison, DB,and Kofi. He cheated to beat the big dogs, just like every other cocky heel type has ever done.

Also, that's a crock of shit and you know it. Miz went over clean against guys that he should, like Morrison, DB,and Kofi. He cheated to beat the big dogs, just like every other cocky heel type has ever done.

It really isn't, though, is it?

Like Mr. Catmobile pointed out, the Miz needed assistance to beat a 60-year-old commentator. How does that not make him look weak?

Am I missing something here? The point of his reign was to look like he could always find a way to keep the title.

If Miz was a Mark Henry-like monster, you'd have a point. But The Miz is a devious character, so cheap wins were the way to go. The championship run was totally in keeping with his persona.

Am I missing something here? The point of his reign was to look like he could always find a way to keep the title.

If that was the point then he'd still be champion, wouldn't he?

The fact is, what you described was Edge's character, who always found a way to keep himself in the main event. What has Miz been doing the last few months? Playing around with R-Truth and that's pretty much it. The only reason he has a little push now is because Truth got suspended.

Miz's reign ultimately made him completely irrelevant to the main event scene, because A) he looked weak, and B) his work with Cena and Orton was absolutely terrible.

Christian "Minimum Wage" Cage;3596436 said:
So, as much as the ICW love to suck Cody Rhode's schlong his IC title reign has been very lacklustre. Like, really pitiful. I'm going for the Miz, because he really did exceed everyone's expectations.

Did you seriously just use subjective criteria to try and prove a point? Like, it never crossed your mind that you might be better off elaborating on what "everyone's expectations" were? I could go on about how that's also a fallacy, but I doubt you'll be able to grasp the simple concept

Oh, but there's no post count here! There's no reason to go the expend the extra effort to make your post (slightly) better! Fuck off.

I'm too angsty to post about Rhodes' reign now, just read jmt's and replace his classy style with curse words.

Did you seriously just use subjective criteria to try and prove a point? Like, it never crossed your mind that you might be better off elaborating on what "everyone's expectations" were? I could go on about how that's also a fallacy, but I doubt you'll be able to grasp the simple concept

Oh, but there's no post count here! There's no reason to go the expend the extra effort to make your post (slightly) better! Fuck off.

I'm too angsty to post about Rhodes' reign now, just read jmt's and replace his classy style with curse words.

Forgive me, sir. I shall elaborate on my point. I just really didn't think it be necessary.

Well, after an underwhelming feud with Zeke. Cody Rhodes went on to win the IC title promising on the way that he'd make it relevant. Nice, no? It had been what many fans had been clammering on about for years. But, looking back, has Cody Rhodes (and by Cody Rhodes, I mean the way he's booked) lived up to those endearing words? All in all, he's defended it three times. Yes, three times. Once against DiBiase, another against 10 men in a battle royale and recently, against Booker. During his high profile feud with Randy Orton, was the title even mentioned once? Nope. Sure, he brought back the smart looking white title, but, apart from that, his reign is everything we didn't want it to be. And, this is of course not Cody's fault. This is why I feel I can't vote for him as much as I wanted to be able to on that faithful summer's night in August.

As for why The Miz is my pick, well simply put, I doubt many expected him to do as well as he did. He had a good feud with Orton, a shockingly amazing one with Jerry Lawler, and held his own on the mic with the big boys like the Rock and Cena. He proved a lot of his naysayers categorically wrong. And, it was one of the lengthiest reigns in recent years. The only negative, would have to be the tedious way in which he lost the title, with no real background story and meaning.

There.

What, no love for Big Show's title run...?

I had to go with the majority here: Mark Henry had the best title run of the year! Here's a guy that held the title, and you knew...THAT is a heavyweight. THAT is a champion. THAT is a credible, mean, believable monster that could rip you limb from limb. Beating him didn't seem like a simple act of booking, and it took somebody the size of the Big Show to do it. Still not ok with that fact, but it is what it is...

If that was the point then he'd still be champion, wouldn't he?

Miz got away with stuff, then got caught out. That's what happens to heels.

The fact is, what you described was Edge's character, who always found a way to keep himself in the main event. What has Miz been doing the last few months? Playing around with R-Truth and that's pretty much it. The only reason he has a little push now is because Truth got suspended.

I wouldn't call being in the main event of Survivor Series with The Rock (fist time in seven years) and John Cena.

The only time you could say that he wasn't in the main event this year was between June and August.

Miz's reign ultimately made him completely irrelevant to the main event scene, because A) he looked weak, and B) his work with Cena and Orton was absolutely terrible.

He didn't click with Orton at all, I'll give you that. It takes a certain type of heel to work with Orton, and Miz isn't that heel. But his feud with Cena was rather good - especially when he wasn't being overshadowed by The Rock.

Mark Henry destroyed SmackDown's hero, battered men his own size (and larger) and made practically everyone who had hated, despised and chastised him respect him for what he did. He did all that with the World Heavyweight Championship. He cut fearful promos, put on strong matches and had incredible moments all with the belt. He was never shy to defend it and had, on average, two defences per month, which is more than most on this list managed. It was under 100 days, and yet it was arguably the best WHC title reign since the mid 00's.

I have to go with Mark Henry here. He dominated everyone he faced while coming from the absolute bottom of the card to having main event feuds

I'll give it to you. I've heard almost everyone say that Rhodes and Ziggler brought prestige back to the titles with their long reigns. I don't buy that because in Ziggler's case, I can't remember him defending that time besides facing Ryder. In Rhodes's case, my mind is drawing a blank when he won it but I know he won it from Jackson. I just can't see how Rhodes has brought prestige to the title when he only defends it like once every two months it seems. It matters more to me what you do with it and now long you have it. You may not agree with that but that's my take.

This right here is why Cody & Dolph are not getting votes from me. Particularly Cody and that amazing reign in which he defended it in forgettable feuds, one feud where the person was feuding with seemed to be above the belt and at one stage didn't defend it for over a month.

Nothing stood out about John Cena's title reign. He had some pretty bad matches with the likes of Miz & R-Truth that I'd rather forget.

It's too early into CM Punk's title reign to call it the best one.

Miz's was a good, long, old school reign and it had a great feud with Jerry Lawler and one fantastic match with JoMo & the fact that he won the main event of Wrestlemania against Cena of all people was huge. All that considered the way that the main event ended left a pretty bad taste. His promos got very repetitive after a while also.

Mark Henry's rise to the world title was a great, great one. It made winning a world title look like something worth putting over a decade of competition in for. He had great memorable promos and his "For 15 years I've watched people smaller than me win world titles" line gave him my support. It was a great reign too with Henry going over Randy Orton TWICE & CLEAN. Something that we weren't seeing much of. He upped his game in the ring with the likes of Daniel Bryan in that great steel cage match. However, like Miz's reign, Henry had some bad points in his. His matches with Big Show & the hell in a cell with Orton were very lackluster but on the other hand they weren't at all forgettable.

I'm gonna have to give my support to Henry here.

Giving my vote to the monster heel Mark Henry, his whole build up this year was great. Just to think of, MY HEART AINT MADE OUT OF KOOLAID, till now is just wow. He had the whole Hall of Pain and went over RKO, that was a surprise in itself. I actually found myself listening when he talked, he made me care.

I see that Mark Henry is completely dominating this category, and I have no problem with it as Henry definitely had one of the best, and certainly THE most surprising title reign of the year, but for me, the best reign was The Miz and it isn't even close for several reasons:

1: In a time when the WWE title is treated like a hot potato, and gets tossed around from person to person month after month, The Miz had one of the longest title reigns of the past few years. He held the title from November 22, to May 1st. That is Five Months and Nine Days to be exact. In recent WWE Title History, CM Punk hasn't had a reign that long, John Cena hasn't had a reign that long, Del Rio hasn't had a reign that long. Only the Miz has. Heck even Henry's reign, as awesome as it was, didn't last as long, lasting three months exactly (September 18th to December 18th).

2: Not only was Miz a long term champ, but he was a credible champ as well, and he had an awesome run with the belt (no pun intended). His promos were top notch during the time, utilizing his cocky, arrogant attitude to the fullest. He beat the guys he should have beaten, namely Kofi and Morrison, he had a seriously entertaining feud with Lawler, he had a good feud with Orton, and he had a seriously great feud with Cena. Did he beat those last three guys cleanly? No, but that doesn't make him weak in the slightest. The best heels are the guys who cheat to win at any opportunity they have, whether the opponent is weak or strong, that is what makes them heels. Flair did it, Edge did it, Orton did it, HHH did it. They all do it. It is Heel Wrestling 101.

3: The thing that impressed me most was not only was Miz a great champ in the ring, but he was a great champ out of the ring as well. Before Punk was making all his media appearances during the Summer, it was The Miz who was the wrestling darling of the media. He promoted the crap out of the WWE during those five months he was Champ, and you can be damn sure that he helped get Mania to a Million Buys simply because of all the interviews he gave in the build-up to the event, and making people want to see him get his face smashed in.

So yeah, while Henry had a great run with the title, in terms of the totality of what a Champion does, how they are supposed to have great matches, give great promos, and how they are supposed to be the face of the company while they have the belt, The Miz's reign was simply better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back