Time for TNA to take a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suneeboy

Big Boot, Leg Drop, 1....2....3
The WWE is hurting right now. Their core audience is content, but not satisfied, and is certainly looking for something more. TNA is playing is safe, and has been playing it safe for a long time now. What they should do, is take a risk. They are drawing a 1.0-1.5 TOPS on Thursday for a taped iMPACT. Now, what is they just said, "let's shoot for the moon", and left the iMPACT zone, got a square ring, went live, and did a show in a larger arena, let's say 7-10k seats. Do you think their ratings would drop if they moved their show to Monday Nights and went head to head with RAW? I really don't think so. I think at bare MINIMUM it would stay the same, if not increase! Monday is the night that wrestling fans watch wrestling...they will at least take a peak at TNA.

What TNA should do is just stop playing it safe and being afraid of the big WWE. Business is about taking risks. You will never go to the top unless you take out your competitors, or at least challenge them. It is capitalism. I think its time for TNA to say, "Let's give it a shot"...I mean what do they have to lose, it's not like their #1 right now anyway. What do you think???

Moving to Monday is not TNA's choice. Spiketv is happy with them on Thursdays and has not yet planned to move TNA to a Monday Night timeslot. I understand what you're saying about TNA needing to step up and trying to capitalize on WWE but it's out of their control. TNA wanted to initially come on Monday Nights when they first came on Spike but it was out of their hands. Besides with the way the economy is in the U.S, it wouldn't be a smart move right now taking their show on the road live. Their is lots of expenses in doing that and TNA may not make a profit for doing that. So for TNA's own benefit, it's best that they play it safe. Even WWE from 1993-1997 stayed put in 1 arena for Monday Night Raw until WCW came along and started owning them on their own night in the ratings.

Firstly if TNA put Impact head to head with Raw they would lose viewers from the time switch to Mondays. then Raws ratings would crush TNAs so TNA would effectively go out of business.

TNAs ratings are steady between a 0.9 and 1.2 and i don't think they will ever compete with wwe if these are the ratings they are getting with all these established names.

Anyone who thinks TNA can compete with the WWEs shows head to head is stupid. TNA v WWE "war" will never happen.

No way, period. TNA is doing everything right at the moment. Their in ring product is good, ratings are holding steady, the young guys are getting the rubs at the right time, and BFG looks awesome. They're not trying to win the war now. They're setting the stage to come after WWE in a few years, which is fine. In 2-3 years, if TNA continues at this pace they'll be able to take on WWE and maybe even beat them. As for Monday night, there's zero point in moving there. Right now, there's no choice that has to be made between the two companies at all. You can watch both shows and not have to pick. That's good as it allows for people to make a comparison. Maybe you like Bound For Glory right now over Bragging Rights. If you can only afford one PPV, maybe you buy Bound For Glory over Bragging Rights based on the fact that you like what you see more on TNA than WWE. If they're on at the same time, maybe you don't see Impact at all. If that's the case, not only do TV ratings drop, but so do PPV buys. By having the current system, you at least have a chance. The moves are coming gradually, just like they should.

No way, period. They're not trying to win the war now. They're setting the stage to come after WWE in a few years, which is fine. In 2-3 years, if TNA continues at this pace they'll be able to take on WWE and maybe even beat them. .

If you think TNA will compete with WWE ever you're an idiot. Once TNA loses the so called established names like Booker T, Steiner and Sting the ratings will take a hit. TNA is their so enjoy it.

TNA is not ready to go head to head with Raw. I did a little research and TNA Impact and WWE Raw have gone head to head on one occassion.

On February 15, 2007, Raw and Impact went head to head. I don't know the exact details of why, but Raw had been pre-empted and USA aired the show on Thursday night. Raw was off its usual night and scored well below its average at the time. It's average for the year at that time was a 3.9 but it still pulled a 3.0 rating for the night and it was up against shows like Survivor and CSI. TNA Impact, on the other hand, drew a 0.6 and it was averaging a 1.0 for the year at that particular time. So, 40% of TNA's audience at that time didn't watch the show and it put a bit of fear into Spike that continues to this day really.

I doubt very much that Spike will even consider putting TNA head to head against Raw until TNA starts to pull at least somewhere in the 2s on a regular basis.

Is everyone forgetting the fact that the last time TNA went head to head with WWE they lost half their viewers to WWE tv? All of you TNA marks are missing the big picture. You are forgetting that WWE is a multi-hundred million dollar corporation where as TNA is nowhere near that status of WWE. Maybe if hell freezes over TNA will get that amount of money but sadly they dont stand a chance. If TNA were to go head to head with WWE it would be game over. Why do you think WWE never mentions TNA on tv? Because their not a threat.

The WWE is hurting right now. Their core audience is content, but not satisfied, and is certainly looking for something more. TNA is playing is safe, and has been playing it safe for a long time now. What they should do, is take a risk. They are drawing a 1.0-1.5 TOPS on Thursday for a taped iMPACT. Now, what is they just said, "let's shoot for the moon", and left the iMPACT zone, got a square ring, went live, and did a show in a larger arena, let's say 7-10k seats. Do you think their ratings would drop if they moved their show to Monday Nights and went head to head with RAW? I really don't think so. I think at bare MINIMUM it would stay the same, if not increase! Monday is the night that wrestling fans watch wrestling...they will at least take a peak at TNA.

What TNA should do is just stop playing it safe and being afraid of the big WWE. Business is about taking risks. You will never go to the top unless you take out your competitors, or at least challenge them. It is capitalism. I think its time for TNA to say, "Let's give it a shot"...I mean what do they have to lose, it's not like their #1 right now anyway. What do you think???

I like this post. However, I think you need to be a little bit more moderate in your opinion of what it means to take risks. I mean, if they got a square ring and went live, THAT alone would be a risk and enough of a big move for now. Then if they changed arenas and went out of the Impact Zone that would DEFINITELY be a big change and a big financial risk as well. So really, that right there would be enough. So what I mean by being more moderate is, why do you have to go ALL OUT TOTAL GUNS BLAZING in order to take a risk or be more active in challenging the WWE? I mean challenging them on Monday Nights is too much too soon. You had some good ideas, but I don't think that ALL of the above needs to be done, at least not yet. You gotta remember, when WCW started the Monday Night Wars, it wasn't until they had Hogan and had major momentum at the time. When people heard that WCW acquired Hogan, from that point on, WCW had eyes on them. They took advantage of that, got more familiar mainstream talent, and then capitalized by striking while the iron was hot and going against the WWE on Monday Nights. TNA needs to do everything you're saying, but not right now, which is what I think your post is telling them to do. First, go to a new arena and a squre ring, that's step one. Then after a year or so of doing that, go live. Then, when something big happens and they have momentum they switch to Monday Nights and go against the WWE. So they should do everything you're saying, but over a long period of time.

Also, keep in mind that going to Monday Nights might not be in their hands. Ultimately Spike TV decides on what night to put programming, so that's not really a TNA executive decision.

TNA isn't ready to go head to head with WWE yet. They still have a ways to go. They are grooming for the future though and will be there someday hopefully. In 5 years or so I can see them competing with the WWE . But as of right now they aren't in the same league.

As far as the OP goes...TNA isn't going to change. They have their differences from WWE to offer the fans a change from the WWE. Also what do they have to lose? How about all the stars working for their company losing their jobs and not being able to pay the bills if the company goes under? Wouldn't you consider that also an important to not go head to head yet if you weren't ready for it?

There will never be a war between tna and wwe. tna could never compete wwe at all not ever. its not going to happen plain and simple. though i do often enjoy impact more than most raws wwe is what is out there and has money.
i think tna does not need to worry about competing cause if they take "that" chance it could cost them alot. tna rocks but wwe has the kids and its a kids era for wwe.
And the one guy who said they will lose ratings after book T scott stiener and sting leave. you know once booker t goes to wwe wwe will lose ratings. stiener is old and needs to quit he is ok when he is in THE spotlight but not great by anymeans. sting is great yet i dont see my self watch tna for sting but he just is not in his prime. you i wish he would of left tna right after bfg cause wouldnt it be crazy if sting vs ric flair vs hulk hogan in Australia but i doubt he would of signed up for that lol.

No they shouldn't take a chance, and try to go head to head with WWE. Do you know why? Because WWE is top dog in the wrestling world. Yes we see the same people in the main event all the time, and Vince will continue to shove the same people in the main event down our throats month after month, but WWE is a machine that can not and will not be challenged by TNA. WWE appeals to the mass majority, while TNA is more so geared towards die-hard wrestling fans. Plus the WWE brings in a lot more cash than TNA.
Like KB said, BFG looks awesome, and I can't wait to see it tommorow. But as of right now, TNA should defintely not take this chance.​

If you think TNA will compete with WWE ever you're an idiot. Once TNA loses the so called established names like Booker T, Steiner and Sting the ratings will take a hit. TNA is their so enjoy it.

Woah! No need to be calling people names man. Everyone has their opinion. I agree with him that in a few years time, TNA will be able to compete with WWE. TNA is doing everything right now and are putting out a much more enjoyable product than anything WWE is doing right now. I get disgusted every time I turn on Raw and iMPACT keeps me tuning in, gets me excited for the next week! Guys like Sting, Booker T, and Steiner have not done much for TNA ratings at all. Hell, not even Kurt did much for ratings. If you think ratings will drop when these guys leave, then you have a another thing coming! I'm willing to bet that the majority of the viewers of TNA watch TNA for the younger guys, hell even the fans that tuned in for Angle, Sting, Nash, ect, are going to stay now, because they have seen the talent the younger guys have and TNAs ability to put out a very good product in the last few months.

But, no TNA should not move to monday nights and go live at this point in time. Right now, TNA is doing everything right.

Firstly if TNA put Impact head to head with Raw they would lose viewers from the time switch to Mondays. then Raws ratings would crush TNAs so TNA would effectively go out of business.

TNAs ratings are steady between a 0.9 and 1.2 and i don't think they will ever compete with wwe if these are the ratings they are getting with all these established names.

Anyone who thinks TNA can compete with the WWEs shows head to head is stupid. TNA v WWE "war" will never happen.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! Sorry I find you funny calling people idiots. If these message boards had been around back in the 80s people would have been on here saying the same thing about WCW. Dont get me wrong TNA is nowhere near being able to compete with WWE and a move to Mondays would be suicide for them. You have to move slow. First they should just try a live show. I dont watch most times unless I read on here that they had a good match on. They need some elite star before they decide to go head to head. WCW went for years with Sting as their top draw but it took getting Hogan before they could go 1 on 1 with the WWE. TNA reminds me alot of a young WCW right now rolling along slowly building A.J.. Wow isnt it ironic that their using Sting to build A.J.. Anyway never say never in wrestling, it might not happen soon, but eventually TNA will decide to go up against the monster machine of WWE.

I would sure as hell watch TNA over RAW right now but I do not see spike nor TNA wanting to move the square ring the live show the moving from the impact zone it would all work but they just need marketing and then maybe just maybe after they start jumping in ratings they could go for it and compete with RAW but there is no need to do that right now TNA is putting on better matches and not only growing but getting smarter and this could happen in a few years.

At best, TNA will get within striking distance in 3 to 5 years. They're doing a good job at building their young talent, but with so many big names on the way out now, it's just not looking good. No way not now if ever.

Does any body realise the TNa is just like wcw. dont get me wrong tna is good if you like to wtch all the old wrestler. i huge mark for Mick Foley but i do understand some of these old guys need to step away and give a little bit of a rub to the new guys. Aj Styles is great but after some disgrutaled wrestler left. if Tna did go head to head with wwe they would drop. Monday is raw it better this way. Wasnt the main reason for alot of the wrestler were to go to tna for a less sedule thats what wwe does . i mena tna cam to Boise idaho i know it a not as big a CA but still they didnt sell out they didnt ever bring the big name to bring in money the cut off off the center sad really. WWE will always be better it make get beat a few time but it comes back and blows everything out of the water

I don't see any reason to even try to compete with WWE. They don't need to compete with to become a recognizable product. WWE is PG and TNA is TV 14. They are different. WWE focuses on stories and on Raw's case income. TNA provides fast paced action for young adults. Why go after WWE, whenever they scrap talent they are TNA's gain. Its variety that gave the Attitude/NWO era so much ratings, right now thats not the case. So why try to monopolize the industry if we know the result. They dont need to compete with WWE, just stick to what they have and continue to offer a different product.

Why compete if you don't have to?

I know many people remember the WCW v. WWF wars fondly, but that was just a brief moment when there was an actual wrestling war. And that only happened because Bischoff wanted to specifically wipe WWF off the map. Generally all the wrestling promotions have gotten along over the years if you think about it. Vince isn't a particularly aggressive guy, if you stay on your side of the fence, he'll stay on his. He even worked with ECW back in the day when they were 2 separate companies, because it was good for business.

Right now, TNA and WWE provide 2 completely different products and on completely different nights. I don't really count superstars, because its just all the wwe shows combined, and did you notice they purposefully put it at 8 so that it doesn't even compete with TNA?

I'm just saying there's no need to compete with each other because there's plenty of room and time-space for both right now. Most people that really love wrestling tend to watch all the wrestling shows, not just a particular one.

Heres the thing about that though. You have to be at a level where you can do big arenas. They are slowly getting there getting bigger and bigger venues but not at the wwe level yet. They would sadly get laughed out of the madison square garden if they tried to go there or replace that with any big arena.

As for some of the others,I like the 6 sided ring. It makes them unique and is one of the things that sets them apart from wwe. Most people that saw tna saw the 6 sided ring for the first time there. I think its great and creates alot of cool dynamics and more creativity. The ropes are tighter so more things are possible. Like a interview with rvd i heard where he talked about how he couldnt do some moves he wanted because the wwe ropes are more loose so its harder to do some stuff he had wanted.

Also the not doing the live is helpful in many ways. WWE does that with the shows except for raw. Their tapping schedule is lighter and healthier for the wrestlers(example angle).

Honestly bro these things would just also get the online community in a up roar. You know how many people call tna a wwe look alike because the direction they are going now to some seem like going to a wwe style? If they did what you said times that by like 10 and thats what you would get. It would be quite annoying if you ask me.

What I don't understand is, how is a company ever going to grow if they don't take risks? If people like you ran businesses, or worked for TNA, TNA will be a second rate federation for the next decade, just like it has been for the last decade. I'm not saying TNA will be able to "take out" the WWE, nor do I want them to. The only way you are going to take your company to the next level is if you step on toes, take risks, and go for the gusto. No one has ever succeeded by playing it safe. To think that TNA even considering going live on Monday's is a bad idea is naive and asinine.

With a large recognizable roster, a solid mid card and women's division, a solid tag division, and a unique product which is clearly different from the WWE, it would be at least interesting for TNA to consider such an option. They would not get a .6 like they did WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED!

Of all the risks that TNA need to take, going for a live Monday show is not one of them.

I could sit here and list off the top of my head, what I think they should do, but that could kill them. Raw struggles badly against American Football and even now, TNA struggles against Spike and UFC. They need to avoid this competition and shoot for the moon but not on a suicide mission.

(Live tapings, push X Division and newer talent, phase out the less able talent, do more tours, shoot iMPACT outside of the iMPACT zone both abroad and in the US, capitalise on popularity in foreign markets, less gimmicky matches, continue to book Knockouts strongly.)

What I don't understand is, how is a company ever going to grow if they don't take risks? If people like you ran businesses, or worked for TNA, TNA will be a second rate federation for the next decade, just like it has been for the last decade. I'm not saying TNA will be able to "take out" the WWE, nor do I want them to. The only way you are going to take your company to the next level is if you step on toes, take risks, and go for the gusto. No one has ever succeeded by playing it safe. To think that TNA even considering going live on Monday's is a bad idea is naive and asinine.

The time will come when TNA is going to have to take risks, but now is not that time. Look, you can put over TNA and its product all you want. That's fine and dandy but the simple fact is that the numbers TNA does in any aspect of its shows, whether it be from ppv to house shows to tv ratings to whatever, doesn't match up with the level of ambition you're suggesting. Not at this time. In any business, regardless of what it is, you have to base your decisions upon what your chances of success could be. I always hear people say that TNA needs more time or they haven't been around long enough and all this and that and, to a good degree, I agree with it. No matter how much one might like TNA, there's no need to delude one's self that they have anywhere near the audience or can pull in anywhere near the audience at this time to be any sort of a threat to the WWE. This isn't speculation, it's not putting TNA down, it's simply rock hard fact. Taking a risk is one thing but a shot in the dark hail mary is totally different. A risk implies that there's at least some decent chance they can be successful, a hail mary is an act of desperation.

With a large recognizable roster, a solid mid card and women's division, a solid tag division, and a unique product which is clearly different from the WWE, it would be at least interesting for TNA to consider such an option. They would not get a .6 like they did WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED!

When TNA did that .6 head to head against Raw, they hadn't only just started. They were averaging about a 1.0 at the time, which is roughly around what they have now. It was a little more than two and a half years ago, so let's not try and make it seem like it was back in TNA's foremost infant days.

The time will come when TNA is going to have to take risks, but now is not that time. Look, you can put over TNA and its product all you want. That's fine and dandy but the simple fact is that the numbers TNA does in any aspect of its shows, whether it be from ppv to house shows to tv ratings to whatever, doesn't match up with the level of ambition you're suggesting. Not at this time. In any business, regardless of what it is, you have to base your decisions upon what your chances of success could be. I always hear people say that TNA needs more time or they haven't been around long enough and all this and that and, to a good degree, I agree with it. No matter how much one might like TNA, there's no need to delude one's self that they have anywhere near the audience or can pull in anywhere near the audience at this time to be any sort of a threat to the WWE. This isn't speculation, it's not putting TNA down, it's simply rock hard fact. Taking a risk is one thing but a shot in the dark hail mary is totally different. A risk implies that there's at least some decent chance they can be successful, a hail mary is an act of desperation.

When TNA did that .6 head to head against Raw, they hadn't only just started. They were averaging about a 1.0 at the time, which is roughly around what they have now. It was a little more than two and a half years ago, so let's not try and make it seem like it was back in TNA's foremost infant days.

Oh I'm not looking to necessarily put over TNA so to speak. My post comes from the desire to have a more entertaining wrestling product across the board. Controversy sells, and that is a credo that many in the entertainment business live off of.

Many times before "new" television shows have been created, or shows have gone head to head with others without being proven. MadTV did this 17 years ago against Saturday Night Live and became successful. Letterman switched networks and went head to head with Leno although Leno was widely more successful at the time. Sony had no video game experience, yet they still put out the Playstation to compete with GIANTS Sega and Nintendo. Donald Trump started the Apprentice on national prime time television with ZERO television experience. And of course there is Nitro going head to head with RAW. There is never going to be a "right time" so to speak. However there is always opportunity. Think of it in the form of television shows with similar demographic. Not necessarily from a wrestling fan standpoint. Those few examples that I just mentioned I'm sure had naysayers, and were told "You're making a huge mistake going head to head with them...they'll crush you." However, they didn't think of it like that. They looked at it as an opportunity that can be seized. Whenever there is discontent in an audience, you're going to have room for alternative forms of entertainment. It happens in every form of entertainment.

I'm not promoting TNA, but where do you feel it is not the "right" time? PPV buys are low, but that is all across the board, not just with TNA. The internet has changed that landscape forever. Ratings aren't going up that much, but hey they aren't going down either. They don't have to do this right NOW, but my opinion is that with the right ambition in the front office, this plan can come to fruition within the next year. They just need some help in the marketing department.

Looks like TNA execs and I were thinking on the same page here. Not so much with the square ring, but the signing of Bischoff and Hogan and a Monday Night show in the works, I feel vindicated after all of the Red rep I got for starting this thread. Thanks for boosting my ego guys.

Monday Night Wars will start again soon, and I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back