• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thru the cell

Reinforced Cell? I'm sorry but i really have to point something out. Back in the day, the WWE used two different cells. One cell was sturdy and unbreakable, at least not by a simple chokeslam. The other cell they used was rigged so when the right section was slammed upon, it would easily break. No pain would be caused in the act of being put through the cell and if the stunt were performed again (which I see no reason why it shouldn't be) that fall would be trained for. Wrestlers are very close to being stunt men. An extra 4 ft isn't going to make too much difference. As for Mick Foley still hurting from the Cell match in 98, there is no way of telling where he got those injuries... he's had an insane career, any match could have given him those injuries. Jumping off the roof of his own house could have caused them injuries. Shane McMahon dropped much higher than Foley ever did with that elbow on the Big Show... he doesn't look like he's in too much pain.

They aren't going to do this stunt in Cena Vs Orton... I am pretty certain of that. I can't really see Taker going up top anymore. The DX match however could easily pull it off... If not through the cage, then off it. As I said, the act of going through the cage causes no pain at all. It just looks pretty cool. It's no more career threatening that tossing someone off the cage to the announce table or the Rikishi bump was.

Too many people are just looking to wrap these guys in cotton wool. Then they all complain that the product is boring. Danger is exciting. They know, I know it... let it happen! Even if it's fake!

It is fun to watch people fall through the cell but don't tell me it is safe or that they can train for it. Top of the cell is about 11-12 feet high from the ring mat. This means that when you are at the top of the cell you are looking at a 16 foot fall from a move like choke slam. Mick Foley was able to pull it off because he had a lot of experience taking big bumps before ever coming to WWE and let's face it he was fat which helped him soften the blow somewhat. And by the way Rikishi bump was very dangerous and so is throwing someone off the top of the cage through the announce table. Again, Foley was the only one to ever take that bump as well.

In a right situation I would like to see a bump like that but I don't think it will or should happen this Sunday.

The only way someone is going through the cell is if Mick Foley decides he's leaving TNA after tomorrow's episode of Impact and they make the WHC match a triple threat match. Otherwise it's just not going to happen. Mick Foley is the hardcore legend... why? because he does crazy shit like getting thrown off or through the cell or onto a pile of thumbtacks. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing someone go through the top of the cell (for the record if it does happen it'll be in Punk/Taker, maybe a chokeslam or last ride) but it's just not going to happen.

And the PG era does feed into it, how many parents are going to let their kids watch wrestling if CM Punk breaks his neck falling onto the announce table? not many.

Safety for the Superstars, liability, and marketability are all reasons NOT to put someone through the Cell come Sunday.

Anyone here watch the HIAC match where Foley wen off then through? I mean watch the entire match, not just those bumps.......
The match was poor aside from those 2 moments. Big bumps don't make a match. They're exciting, no doubt about that, but overall not so great for the show. Injured wrestlers do not generate more money, big bumps come with big risk. I think wrestlers taking some time off is a good thing here and there, but not if it's due to injury.
The only reason to go off or through the cell would be that the 2 guys in it can't work a decent match.

I've been coming on the forums every day for the last several weeks, and I swear some of you guys just don't get it. The reason why the rest of that match sucked is because Mick Foley was basically unconscious. Ever heard of the term "out on your feet? Foley was "fine" after the first fall, as it was planned, and he landed about as perfectly as you can on the table. I'm sure his back wasn't in the best shape after that, but it was the chokeslam through the cell that fucked up the rest of the match. I'm 99% sure, was a botch. Meaning- the cell broke and it wasn't supposed to. The only time it was actually supposed to break was during the Triple H/Cactus Jack Hell in a Cell when the ring broke too. Now THAT was a Hell in a Cell. As for someone earlier who said there were originally two cells, I'm pretty sure that's false too. Go back and watch HBK/Undertaker's Hell in a Cell. When they're walking around on the roof of the cell it looks like it's about to cave in.. everywhere. I think the reason why HBK didn't go through when the Undertaker gorilla press slammed him was because he did it softly. The chokeslam to Foley wasn't as protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back