• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

This New Day Faction

123NewChamp

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hello everyone?

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I need to know yall thoughts and feelings towards "The New Day". And I want to know if you think it will be a success or a failure.

If you have watched Smackdown last Friday and Raw tonight, you saw "The New Day" in action. They got plenty of ring time tonight because 1. it was a tag team turmoil match, and 2. They wanted to expose this new faction to the crowd to get the WWE Universe with them.

But one thing I did realize was that the crowd reaction on smackdown and especially tonight on Raw (in my opinion) wasn't at the best. It seems like it was more of getting ahold to what "New Day" bringing to the table vs. enjoying the match. Don't get me wrong, there were some highlights in the match, but Kofi and Big E for sure gotten bigger cheers as single competitors compared to both showings combined.

But what are your results or how do you see these 3 superstars benefiting from this new faction? Honestly I understand Kofi wanting to do something different and show us something different and the fans wanting to see something different. But honestly, I think this faction is a bigger gamble for Kofi than it is for Big E and Xavier Woods and I will tell you why.

Before Xavier Woods comes in the ring with that Valentine's Day looking suit of his to pitch an alliance with Kofi and Big E; Kofi just recently defeated Randy Orton on Raw, and defeated Cesaro a few times. Yeah Kofi had a Generic Gimmick that carried him for years. He had a few high profiled feuds, always put on great matches, great mid card champion, and tag team champion and was a great Ambassador for WWE. And Big E, has a strong work Ethic, and showed potential of being one of WWE's breakout stars. But here's the problem. Xavier Woods been on the WWE main roster for about a year and I feel he never established himself as an impact player in WWE. JTG #2. He comes in teaming with R-Truth, getting squashed by Brodus Clay. Losing a 2 on 1 handicap match to Rusev, and being the 1st eliminated from battle royals. Then these 2 high profile stars ban with him in a stable. My thing is, I don't want something new, something different, and something supposively great, turns out to bite Big E and Kofi in the Butt, and turn them into Big time Jobbers who will be on the future endeavored list. Will it work? I need a few more weeks to tell. But in my opinion, I'm just not impressed.

What's your opinion?

They need some mic time before I'll make any real judgement on who they are and if I like them. For now, it seems like they're all exactly the same characters when they were singles, except now they're in matching tights.

And I hate to sound cliche here, but I think WWE took the easy way out making them faces. It seemed like Xavier Woods had some good promos lined up when we initially thought they were forming as heels (awhile back), and I would've been very interested to see how they made Kofi look heel considering he's been a very generic face for years now. Now they still seem just as generic as Kofi was by himself.

As I stated in my opening though, until they get on the mic and tell us who they really are, I can't say whether I'm that interested or not.

And I want to know if you think it will be a success or a failure.

Way too early to tell, of course. When we first heard rumblings about a new form of Nation of Domination coming into being, I wondered how closely the organization wanted this new group to identify with the old. As it turns out, though, these guys are being portrayed as happy people, which is completely different from the angry Nation of years ago.

So far, so good, although it's a little disconcerting to see Big E so jubilant, dancing that huge body around, apparently enjoying himself as opposed to his old plodding, intense persona. Maybe it works, maybe not.

Kofi and Xavier are acting pretty much the same as they always have; in fact, they are enough alike that it's good Big E is there to provide contrast.

As to their mission.....who knows? Those "revival meeting" vignettes we were treated to for weeks before their debut didn't give us an indication as to what they'd be doing.....and nothing that's happened since we first saw them in the ring gives us a clue, either. Of course, they haven't had a chance to develop issues with anyone....when they do, we'll see whether or not the group can manufacture enough heat to remain viable.

So far, so good, although it's a little disconcerting to see Big E so jubilant, dancing that huge body around, apparently enjoying himself as opposed to his old plodding, intense persona.

This.:lol:

I for one like the stable, it's a purely crowd interactive team and they are doing their job well. They've also made Big E's finisher look more impressive, using it as a part of a tag team finisher.

So far we've seen Woods and Big E, and Kofi and Big E hitting the finisher. I think Woods and Kofi will have a finishing combo where Kofi hits Trouble in Paradise, and Woods hits a frog splash.

As for a long term viability, they need more mic time, else none of their feuds will make sense.

Honestly this guy should've been the leader of A New Day

Black-Dynamite_still-1.jpg

But seriously they really seem to have gone the easy way out.

I know it's to early to tell but the promos doesn't make me feel interested. It just seems like generic black choir type stuff that you'd see in the middle of a Martin Laurence movie.

I said it before in the Bar Room thread but they should have them as disgruntled employees hinting that it may be something to do with race. They don't have to make it serious and militant but that idea would certainly be more interesting than what I feel will eventually happen.

I'm not impressed at all thus far. I have never been a fan of any of these three characters, and so far still not. As mentioned above, there is nothing new about Kofi or Xavier, which is a problem for me. Really, until Kofi becomes a heel, I will never be invested in anything that he is a part of. The fact that they seem to be pushing this group as faces is disappointing beyond belief. I know I haven't given them any time to work, but in my opinion, they will not get over anymore than they currently are.

Honestly this guy should've been the leader of A New Day

Black-Dynamite_still-1.jpg

But seriously they really seem to have gone the easy way out.

I know it's to early to tell but the promos doesn't make me feel interested. It just seems like generic black choir type stuff that you'd see in the middle of a Martin Laurence movie.

I said it before in the Bar Room thread but they should have them as disgruntled employees hinting that it may be something to do with race. They don't have to make it serious and militant but that idea would certainly be more interesting than what I feel will eventually happen.

From what I understand, that was initially the plan. At least, that's what reports I read earlier on were stating. However, at the same time, just imagine the shit storm that'd be generated if there was even a hint of WWE doing an angle, storyline or faction in which race is made a central point. Everyone corporate sponsors, fans, dirt sheet writers, other wrestling companies that've even gone down similar roads, disgruntled former minority wrestlers, political pundits, the ACLU, NAACP and jackals like Al Sharpton would be so far up Vince's ass that it'd look like a Roman orgy. People are still upset and talking about the Trayvon Martin & Jordan Davis shootings, fallout from the decision of the Ferguson, MO grand jury not to indict Darren Wilson for the shooting death of Michael Brown is still 100% fresh in people's minds and there's that 12 year old black kid in Ohio who was shot by the cops last week because they thought he was waving around a real gun, it was a pellet gun but they didn't know that. It'd make the Jack Swagger & Zeb Coulter stuff look like absolutely nothing in comparison. And, like the Swagger & Coulter angle, it would be MASSIVELY blown out of proportion by journalists, or people pretending to be journalists like Nancy Grace, who usually don't know what they're talking about because they don't bother to actually do any research into it because they figure they don't have to since it's pro wrestling.

There's a massive double standard when it comes to pro wrestling and other media. It's seemingly okay for racial tensions to be exploited by other television shows, it's been part of the bread & butter of Sons of Anarchy, but people either forget or flat out ignore that pro wrestling is as scripted as any other traditional program on television. But by the time WWE managed to do some damage control, the damage will have already been done and could be far reaching.

I agree that the original idea was to be heels possibly but the volatile climate right now dealing with police shooting kids and the race riots lately they went in favor of sticking to being positive faces. The result is kind of boring... it would have been cool to see all of them going total heel and taking people out but I understand why they went that route. Do I agree with it? No. But the casual person who isn't a wrestling fan would possibly see news stories and cause damage... but possibly also viewership. I don't think anybody wants to see The New Day feuding with the Dust Brothers.

I say DARK.... you say ER.... I say US..... you say OS..... DARKER USOS.

I know it has only been two in ring appearances but they give off the same vibe as the twins. Maybe they are meant to replace the happy go lucky brothers since Jimmy went all hard core on Miz's ass. Whatever the case I do not think there was ever any intention of recreating the race driven version of the NOD. That was all dirt sheet BS.

I'm kind of still on the fence about these guys. Nothing they've done has really motivated me to get on board with them yet.

As a matter of fact with the exception of Big E, Woods and Kofi seem pretty much the same as they always have, just wearing matching tights now. Big E never used to see him smile and now he's all happy and shit. Kind of freaks me out a little, but his outfit is just terrible, he really need to wear the same as the other two. Showing way to much leg there.

They have some cool moves, but then Kofi always defied gravity and appears to still be able to do it. I'll wait another few weeks to see what else happens with them.

The signs so far are good. It seems as though the crowd like them and they are gelling as a team rather effectively. Individually, they have a lot of talent and collectively, they seem as though they know what they are doing too. I do feel as though it is a good mix of abilities within the group and it also gives 3 guys something to do, when it is clear that they don't really have anything right now. It makes sense.

As for them going down the race card route, that is just bad for business. I know that some people will say that it is better to strike when the iron is hot but race is just not a angle you want to be playing within the USA right now, especially when things have been so turbulent over the last few months.

Right now though, just let the guys do their thing. The seem excited about it and maybe it will surprise everyone and be good? I'm willing to give them a try.

Definitely not into this current version of A New Day.

What I think will happen is that they will continue to present them as this happy-go-lucky group....eventually making them seem buddies with guys like the Usos and other faces.

Then they will allow them to do a "surprise" heel turn on whoever they are buddying up with at the time. That's about the only way I see them getting over in any way.

WWE doesn't need another kid-friendly tag team. They need another set of heels.

Once they turn heel, it doesn't even have to be about race. They can just talk about being tired of being held back by management and they are going to start a new day in the WWE and show everyone what they have been missing. They will shed the hokey bright-colored outfits and wearing something that casts them as heels.

Let them have a run for the tag titles where their 3rd guy is always cheating to help them win. Put the belts on them. Maybe even let the 3rd guy go after the US Championship whenever it gets off of Rusev.

They can work as a good stable as long as they are allowed to play true heels. let them interfere in matches, do something that truly makes people dislike them. Just get rid of this bubble gum pop type of stuff....its old and played out.

It's corny as hell. It's the Usos with a third wheel. There is no story. Why are they together and why should anyone care? What's with the Southern Baptist Power Ranger-meets-Kappa Fraternity Weekend Step Competition gimmick?

It should take off like a lead balloon.

They are fucking awful, and have an expiration date that is in the not too distant future.

Enormous waste of Big E, a truly dominant character in his developmental days.

The poor thing is, Kofi and Xavier would be fine as a straight-away high energy tag team, but 1. The tag division inexplicably has like, three teams 2. they have shoe-horned Big E in there, wearing some weird robe.

The fuck is with the avatar color scheme as well?

Missing the mark on what they should be, and could be. I expect they don't make it past May.

Man, the idea is bad, the execution is bad, and all three wrestlers are pretty damn bad. I've only seen Xavier fight like once, so he might be ok, but I think Kofi doesn't get fired so that he can spot at Royal Rumble and at the Andre Battle Royal. Also, Big E is just bad.

The idea is alright, I guess, but the execution has been pretty awful. They literally come to the ring and say "New Day" like 40 times while awkwardly dancing/swaying with each other.

Woods may be a decent talker, not that he's really ever been given much of an opportunity to prove himself one way or the other, but E and Kofi are very poor on the mic. Even without a mic, it's like they don't know what to say so they mumble jibberish and make various grunting noises in their little team huddle before entering the ring.

You can't deny the in-ring talent, but for character development sake, I don't see how putting three guys who have little to no verbal interaction skills together in the same stable will benefit any of them as individuals.

I tend to tolerate New Day more than most, if only for the fact that I find the 'Nation of Domination' rehash to be just as stereotypical and shameless a concept- the only difference is they'd be bad-asses, which seems to be why people dislike this other gimmick.

I also tend to think these guys are being formed as cannon fodder for when Ascension arrives, and will probably turn hard and dark after several awful beat downs, but that's neither here nor there.

As for how this is a waste of talent, what were any of these guys going to do on their own that would be any better? It's a Stable Push, however 'embarrassing' it looks, and a guaranteed spot in the Tag Team division. Big E didn't get enough momentum to stay in the IC Belt Hunt and he was already fed to Rusev. Kofi is a long-time midcarder and has no momentum to speak of. And Woods is proving to be more of a character than a wrestler. It's crass, but it works.

It's something new for Kofi, something different for Big E & it's anything at all for Xavier Woods so it can't be all bad. I think they actually make a fun babyface team & I think they could be built up as challengers for the tag team championships but unfortunately at this point I don't see them winning the cosmic keys anytime soon.

It's too early to really tell if this stable has any chance for long term success. But my initial impressions are:

1.) Still absolutely hate Big E's ring gear. He needs pants/longer tights and probably knee pads. His ring gear makes him look like he's got a giant wedgie. Just looks dumb.

2.) This stable seems to be all about positivity ... but I think WWE, so far, has forgot to explain why if this group is all about positivity are they FIGHTING other people? If WWE doesn't very soon explain why The New Day is fighting people to spread a message of 'positivity' then I will lose a lot of interest in the stable.

3.) Kofi is a great athlete. Big E and Woods can hold their own too so they can put on good matches but the gimmick is likely to hold them back.

4.) Good news is that they are pretty much a tag team group and in the tag team division only which desperately needs well-formed tag teams so even if The New Day becomes the "new" face jobber team like Los Matadores then that's fine.

5.) This team may last for maybe half a year and then someone will turn and try and re-invent themselves again.

After watching their promos and the few matches they've done, im sorry to say this.

But they look like a black 3MB/nation wannabes.

Creative thinks, hell these 3 guys are going down the pan in singles, lets try and make them a bit relevant again.

We'el take a high flyer like Kofi, team him up the "big man" Big E & bring in the nobody that is Xaivier "Consequences Creed" Woods & dress em up in Kifflom outfits & see if they can connect with the crowd with "New Day" chants.

IMO, they tried to copy TNA's MVP, Kenny King & Lashley "faction" & what a complete clusterfuck they are.

To concur, with my fellow above posters......

I dont think they will last long & they will split back to their lowcard status or even the "future endeavors" club.

Anyone else frustrated that Vince can't write black guys worth a shit? They pretty much always have to be a stereotype eventually.

I REALLY hope this turns into something more serious. Where they get fed up with how they're booked and bring to light how the world is still very racist.

What is with the emphasis on Big E's...handkerchief? I remember when they were doing those New Day vignettes and they kept focusing on it. Is having a handkerchief supposed to get him over? I agree with the 3MB comparisons, except they're getting booked as annoyingly dominant.

What's bizarre is that there really isn't anything wrong with anyone. I like all three and their matches have been good so far. Yet it isn't working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back