Things that never fail to blow your mind

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Stealing this from Reddit because it's such an amazing topic. List some ideas, facts, or anything in general that you find astonishing and hard to comprehend or believe.

For me, it's attempting to wrap my head around just how small and insignificant we and this planet are. Compared to the largest known star, our planet is just a tiny, un-seeable dot. It's impossible to imagine how large our sun actually is and even that is so insignificant in regards to the rest of the universe. I try and imagine the size of stars and galaxy's and I just cannot do it. This helps me illustrate my point better.

[YOUTUBE]6ycfAr11cX0[/YOUTUBE]

So tell us things you can't wrap your head around. I just find shit like this so interesting. Hopefully, we get some really useful and interesting information out of this.

t's easy enough to work out:

The Earth is a grain of sand and the largest star known is half of yo momma.

I have to agree, Space is something that blows my mind. It is crazy to think of like how it all started, how did everything become what it is, the fact of there being no air to even if space has a shape to it or not. Space amongst the thought of life and death are the three thoughts that blow my mind. It is the most interesting things for us humans to know, learn and to figure out what it all means. It makes me wonder if there is parallel universes or if there is even another type of earth planet out there. It is crazy to see how small earth is and how the further away from the sun we get the bigger the planets become. Minus Pluto since they’ve decided it isn’t a “planet” any more. Yep, it is some mind bending crazy shit out there that maybe one day we can have the answers for. But the thing is, what happens when we find out these answers?

Why movie's use the same titles for prequels and original films. It gets confusing and pisses me off. Sorry, blame The Thing and the film business.

The number one fact that impresses me is that we are all made out of stars. I can never get over that. I think about it everyday, but its still so awesomely incredible. The idea that every element in existence was forged in a star and that we're made out of them, it's so awesome.

It is crazy to see how small earth is and how the further away from the sun we get the bigger the planets become.

This is wrong. Earth is bigger than Mars, and almost exactly the same size as Venus. Jupiter is bigger than Saturn, which is bigger than Uranus, which is bigger than Neptune.

This is wrong. Earth is bigger than Mars, and almost exactly the same size as Venus. Jupiter is bigger than Saturn, which is bigger than Uranus, which is bigger than Neptune.

In fact Jupiter is more than twise as big as all of the planets in the solar system combined.

Fun fact on astronomical scales - the largest known star, VY Canis Majoris, could contain about 7 x 10^15 Earths. That's 7 quadrillion Earths.

Oh lol yeah this is from my lack of going to school. Thanks for the correction :)

School is important and it blows my mind realizing this a little to late...

Speed of Light broken! neutrinos the culprit!!

Someone discuss this shit, gorundbreaking I hear.

Speed of Light broken! neutrinos the culprit!!

Someone discuss this shit, gorundbreaking I hear.

They figured it out. Turns out the original research group didn't consider the relativistic motion of something relative to another something and the correction fixes it all.

They figured it out. Turns out the original research group didn't consider the relativistic motion of something relative to another something and the correction fixes it all.

That's generally what corrections are for.

In answer to the thread question, having a friend who has the same name as me who has a sister with the same age gap as my sister and myself, whose name is also the same as my sister's. Went to the same school, lived in the same street... it's crazy.

However, it allows for some great trolling and general mind-fuck moments.

To answer the actual question, I'm more interested in the small scale. If you look at the top section of your thumb, there are about 600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in it. Now, assuming it's all carbon (a pretty big assumption unless you have charcoal or diamond for a hand, but still reasonably accurate for this purpose), that means there are 3,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 each of protons and neutrons. We're still not done. Each of those contains three quarks each. So that makes for a total of 21,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 particles. Except it doesn't. Because I left out the 3,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 electrons. So that makes for a total, roughly in the final section of your thumb of 25,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 fundamental particles. That in itself is amazing, but then consider that an atom is predominantly empty space and that these particles account for 0.000000000001% of it's volume. If you could remove all the empty space, then, all the matter in the tip of your thumb would easily fit in the full stop at the end of this sentence. (Imagine this is a book, and the depth of the ink is the depth of the full stop). That in itself is incredible, but then to remember that quarks and electrons are so small that individually they are 25,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times smaller than a full stop, and you cannot begin to comprehend how small they are.

The second is far more mind blowing though. Gala Pie. If you don't know what gala pie is, let me educate you. It is essentially a long pork pie with a hard boiled egg in the middle. Here is a picture of one:

url

You can see the size of the pie from the image as it is next to some tomatoes. Now, let me show you another image:

url

No matter where you cut the pie, you get an egg. But remember how big it was. How is that possible?

I don't know if it's right, but I can come up with at least one method for producing a Gala Pie off the top of my head. You've just got to separate the whites and yolks from multiple eggs and cook them separately.

I'm less capable on the subject of quarks. I gave up when somebody started to explain to me with a straight face how they come in different flavours.

I think you actually just cut the top and bottom off, so you end up with roughly cylindrical eggs, and then lay them in a line. I don't really want to know the truth to be honest though.

Sounds a bit iffy if the slices of pie don't line up with the slices of egg. I reckon you'd get caught out and the mystery would be ruined for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back