The year of 1990

The Idiot

Getting Noticed By Management
When you think of old school wrestling, 1990 has got to be one of the biggest years...especially for the WWF(E).

The 20 year anniversary thread of WM VI got me thinking about how great not only the event was, but the entire year. Seeing that there was only 4 PPV's back then let's take a look at each one.

ROYAL RUMBLE

It had ok undercard matches...but when it came down to the main event, which was the Rumble match itself...it had a who's who of legendary wrestlers from top to bottom. It was the first time we saw Hogan and Warrior face to face after they eliminated everyone that was in the ring. The road to Wrestlemania started here.

WRESTLEMANIA

Basically one of the biggest Wrestlemania's of them all. Check the 20 year anniversary thread for a more in depth look. Great card with great matches (for back then) and the biggest main event to ever happen at the time.

SUMMERSLAM

Summerslam was the fallout from Mania...which continued the Savage/Dusty feud and also saw the Warrior defending his WWF Championship against old rival Rick Rude in a steel cage. Hogan/Earthquake was a hot feud that was the 1st half of the double main event. Match of the night goes to the Hart Foundation/Demolition 2/3 falls for the tag titles. Great match. Great event.

SURVIVOR SERIES

My favorite Survivor Series to date. From top to bottom this card had the traditional SS matches. Warriors vs The Perfect team; Million $ Team vs. Dream Team; Visionaries vs. The Vipers; Hulkamaniacs vs Natural Disasters; and the Alliance vs. The Mercenaries. What I loved about this particular Survivor Series was they had the grand finale match featuring the survivors from the preceding matches. The face team of Hogan, Warrior and Santana vs the Heel team of Ted DiBiase, Rick Martel, The Warlord, and Power and Glory.

It was a memorable year and one that sticks out to old school fans as being one of the best. Perfect start to the decade that changed pro wrestling forever.

Totally agree! The 1990 Survivor Series is my all time favorite watched it 100s of times as a child. The final survivors match and that deathly Undertaker debuting.

Wrestlemania was also my favorite all time tied with the 3rd edition. The stars of my golden era (summer 89 to wrestlemania 8) of my child hood, were rounding into shape.

Royal Rumble 90-92 were all my favorite. This is the one that got me hooked to wrestling though.

All in all this year was great and that is saying nothing about how cool WCW was to a 5 year old too!

WCW also rocked in 1990. The feud between Black Scorpion and Sting was amazing to an 8 year old. I still have vivid memories of the Clash of Champions where a crew member was "transformed" into a tiger. I ran into the living room to tell my parents about this evil man, which prompted one of the many "wrestling isn't real talks" i received as a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back