The WWE should buy out all Indy feds...

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
And use them as their minor league farm systems. Much like Major League Baseball does with the teams in their league, the WWE should turn all of the minor indy feds into WWE feeder feds. Maybe ROH would be an ECW AAA equivalent. CZW could be a AAA team for Raw. *Insert random indy fed here* could be for Smackdown.

And the WWE should tier them as well, just like Major League Baseball. Now, of course, the opposition would scream bloody murder at the thought of a wrestling monopoly, but that's where the WWE takes another page out of MLB's playbook. Separate the brands. For real this time. Territorialize your own company, whilst keeping the national/worldwide name. For the major PPVs, you can bring them all together, in your own form of a Supershow.

The benefits would be numerous. First of all, you wouldn't have a bunch of hacks running around pretending like they understand wrestling. You'd have top notch trainers teaching these kids the REAL art of wrestling. Second of all, it would pull all wrestling under one umbrella, which would help improve the working conditions. And finally, we wouldn't have to put up with the 9000 reports of shady indy promoters. The WWE would run everything.

So, what do you think? Pretend the WWE had interest and could buy up all indy feds, and turn their company into an organization like the MLB. Would it work? Would you like it?

I'm struggling to see why the WWE would want to make a major financial investment purchasing a large number of company's that don't make money or draw fans away from the E's own product. Especially since a great many indy promoters aren't going to sell their organization unless offered so much money that it's impossible to refuse.

Furthermore, buying up indy feds would be rather like fighting the hydra. Every time the WWE absorbs one, another couple will spring up. For a start, the fans on indy wrestling almost exclusively frequent the shows because they don't want to watch what you call the REAL art of wrestling, so the alternative product will always spring up in order to employ all the hacks who think they understand wrestling.

Practically speaking, I can't see how it would be possible for the WWE to achieve such a goal, and am even more in the dark as to why they could possible want to blow away a high pile of money to get their logo on a show that's only going to draw 200 people.

To answer the 'actual' question of 'would I like it if such an event took place'... I doubt I would notice. The only way indy wrestling can survive is by offering an alternative product for a select audience. So if the WWE did buy all the organisations up, they'd be able to viably do very little to alter the product at all.

Additionally, Indy promotions rarely have much in the way of a set rosta. Normally there are one or two names established with the company, but beyond that they draw from the same pool of free agents. International talent from Gate, AAA, CMLL or similar. Former WWE workers and indy workers who move from fed to fed. Even people working for the second biggest promotion in the US have to tour the indy scene in their spare time, so there is no way the WWE could introduce fixed rostas.

So, with that in mind, you'd end up with the same promotions, offering the same product, with the same guys... just with the logo for (a now considerably poorer) WWE stuck somewhere. I can't say I think many people are going to notice.

Gelgarin is right. Indies serve up something for people who feel they are too smart for WWE, and want something the WWE doesnt provide them. Now, if they were to keep the working styles all the same as they were when the promotion was first purchased. and just take the money from ticket/,erchandise sales, then I could see it being a good idea from amonetary standpoint, but to make them into a farm league as you suggest, wouldnt work well for them. They would loose what tiny niche fan base they have, as those folks seem to just want to be rebellious, and dig a much more technical, small guy, no sell type of style. If WWE is to use it as a farm system to train people properly, the niche fans wont get what they like.

I think this would help WWE out.

Indy federations are an essential part of the wrestling world and to have control over every indy promotion out there can only be a good thing, yes?

With WWE in control of indy feds, where would TNA get their talent?

WWE would be in control of everything.

This isnt a good idea for a number of reasons

-WWE already has far too much compeition for places on it's roster, and does a pretty good job of scouting new wrestlers and bringing them in.

-If WWE likes the look of someone from one of the indy companies they can easily afford to buy out the wrestlers contact with them, and aquire them which is a lot cheaper than buying so many companies.

-WWE could buy the companies but then whats to stop the pervious owner setting up a new indy fed, effectively meaning all WWE buys is the name.

-Why would WWE make a purchase like this when they are looking to cut costs.

-WWE already has small feeder indy feds which WWE gets first option on any talents if they like the look of.

-WWE already has a roster to train young stars how to wrestle properly (ECW)

What a silly idea. Not only because there is more indie feds than WWE can afford, but it would be absolutely fruitless. I mean, i cannot even comprehend how much of a moron you'd have to be to think it was a good idea.

I like this board because it is very active, but the lack of intelligence is annoying.

EDIT: I take back "intelligence" actually. Wrestling discussion doesn't have to be intelligent. But some understanding is advisable, which quite a few members lack.

Aren't the indies in existence because these guys will (mostly) NEVER make it anywhere near the big leagues? So why bring a concept WWE management clearly doesn't understand, to an audience of people who don't want WWE's product (face it... would you go to a sports hall if you really wanted to watch RAW?) in an environment that's not profitable to business

Besides... aren't the indies there to provide an alternative to WWE. So if WWE buy up indies, more will spring up in the style of a Hydra having it's heads cut off. This will lead to a situation WWE could never hope to control.

So in conclusion... It wouldn't work, no-one who liked Indies would buy into it, the wrestlers wouldn't be able to work their style and there'd be no alternative but to form breakaway Indy feds...putting you in the same situation

I don't see it happening, because people who don't like the WWE or TNA, look to these indy feds to get out of wrestling what the WWE or TNA doesn't offer. From a money standpoint, it would be a good idea because of all the people who attend these events, the WWE would make a lot of money, but I just don't see them bothering because all that's going to happen is that someone out there is going to set up another indy fed, determined not to sell because they hate the WWE or something like that.

What a silly idea.
No, what's silly is the lack of big picture vision illustrated in this thread. What's silly is the complete and utter ridiculousness of people who seem to think their support of crappy indy feds can be camouflaged under their attacks on the concept of the WWE ruling the wrestling world.

Perhaps I should have been simpler in my original presentation. If the WWE were to buy out all the Indy feds, then there would be ZERO competition. People talk about being able to afford it...do you not understand that these promotions still run as their own federation? Just like I talked about in my example of Major League Baseball, it's not like MLB bankrolls every team in baseball. Rather, the independent clubs fund their own club, but all under the collective umbrella of MLB.

And just like MLB, the WWE would then have complete and utter control over ALL aspects of their entertainment genre. Which means that all money collected, and all benefits gained go to support the WWE.

I noticed someone mentioned about how "new indy feds would spring up". Where? If the WWE had all indy feds, then any new fed would have to compete in an area already controlled by the WWE. Do you think a New York based wrestling promotion would even begin to have a chance against the WWE? Of course not. And with the understanding that ANY chance of success in wrestling would be obliterated if you don't work for the WWE, there's not a single rogue worker that would dare to work for those feds.

They would loose what tiny niche fan base they have, as those folks seem to just want to be rebellious, and dig a much more technical, small guy, no sell type of style.
Who gives a fuck? It's not like the WWE makes money from those fans anyways.

However, the WWE name is FAR greater than IWA or whatever petty name that is out there. So, any "niche fan" that turns off a promotion would be completely erased by all the WWE fans who would turn on the promotion. And since the WWE doesn't make money off those "niche fans" anyway, who cares about them?

There's not a single logical argument that can be made AGAINST this idea. The only opposition to this idea is nothing more than a poorly veiled attempt to show your skeleton-in-the-closet support of crappy indy feds. There is no downside to it, and all the upside in the world.

Why not do it?

Skeleton in a closet?

I like the independent circuit. I'm fairly open about the fact. The only reason to feel anything beyond indifference is base level snobbery or simple ignorance. As such I'm quite happy avoiding the club of people who've never heard of the FWA, WAW or RDW, but feel confident making blanket distinctions about independent wrestling.

As for why not to do it, well you've managed to selectively ignore most of what I wrote, and I have no interest in repeating myself, so I'll just give some breakdown points.

For a start, you're contradicting yourself. You claim that the WWE can essentially stamp indy fans out of the market, but then claim that if the WWE controlled all the indy feds (A great many of which I must hasten to add, tour; and do not control fixed territories as you seem to think) there would be no room for new feds to spring up.

If all the indy wrestling fans suddenly have no product to cater for them, then new indy feds are going to crop up to cater for... wait for it... all those indy fans. (If someone would like to pipe in some dramatic music, now would be a good time).

So then we have an identical situation to what we have now, except the WWE has control of 50 odd promotions that they'll struggle to make money off. The only way they could push the indy feds out of the market is by emulating them, at which point you've got the exact same federations with an extra logo.

Now Ohio Vally Wrestling was not a particularly great success. FCW has been a disaster area since day one. The WWE is cutting spending like flies and dropping talent faster than you can blink. I'm certain that your response will inform me that I don't understand wrestling, so I'll pre-empt it by saying that if you think it's a good time for the WWE to make a massive commercial investment with no pay off in sight... than you have issues with the concept of business.

I noticed someone mentioned about how "new indy feds would spring up". Where? If the WWE had all indy feds, then any new fed would have to compete in an area already controlled by the WWE. Do you think a New York based wrestling promotion would even begin to have a chance against the WWE? Of course not. And with the understanding that ANY chance of success in wrestling would be obliterated if you don't work for the WWE, there's not a single rogue worker that would dare to work for those feds.

I believe that was me that said that. And I think you can do better than that sir. Instead of asking the question you did... why not start with this one. Why does any indy federation bother going up against WWE now? They're not going to make it big, they're not going to compete. TNA only managed to get prime time because it sneaked in under the NWA banner.

It's not as though some low budget federation filled with wannabes is EVER going to be a real threat to the WWE. WWE effectively IS the MLB. It's the top goal and all wrestlers with talent and ambition want that stage. If they don't they're a liar or deserve to be institutionalised for having the idioacy to put their body on the line and not want to go all the way.

As for rogue workers... Sly, you know who would go to them. The 'undesirables' - I can name several people who WWE wouldn't want to work for them who would quite happily make money elsewhere. Can't you?
As a side point... can you think of a potential 'niche' market 'wrestling' show which happens to be on TV at present? Isn't it that guy who was a wrestler a few years ago does that? Strange isn't it how two guys who are both in the WWE doghouse both managed to set up what I am choosing to call an indy fed for the purposes of this argument.

Bottom line Sly... WWE are the major leagues. You just have to look at the number of TNA guys who want to go to WWE despite their fame. WWE is, in effect, in full control of wrestling in America without having to spend a penny buying up unprofitable organisations. So I ask you with your Corporate mind in gear... why would you bother?

I think it's a horrible idea. The WWE buying all indy feds. would prohibit the possibility of an ECW springing out of nowhere and giving Vince some competition. Eastern Championship Wrestling broke from the NWA and became Extreme Championship Wrestling and drew a fanbase. They, little by little, drew fans and became very well known. Of course Vince helped them out a little but Heyman and Todd Gordon were in charge. I don't think they should do it because something like this happening again with an organization taking flight out of nowhere might help the industry. The WWE tried to become a monopoly by owning both WCW and ECW. The WWE would never be able to own all those indy feds. The NWA still has their little promotions around the country and a total monopoly would create something in wrestling we don't need. Vince often will get guys to wrestle for him who make names for themselves under different promoters and writers. Vince has had guys leave him and make names for themselves elsewere or build from their success elsewhere and vice versa. If everyone was under Vince and his writers then you wouldn't have guys who are well known because of TNA, NWA, WCW, and other promotions.

If the whole NWA TV thing works out you might have guys leaving the WWE to go to the NWA or guys leaving NWA to go to TNA or WWE which is good for the business. There are many guys who wouldn't work for Vince no matter how much they were paid, you would be putting them out of a job. Many guys have excelled without Vince. Vince would only be helping the guys he likes. Vince knows talent where he sees it but I'm sure he's made a mistake or two in his time. He is likely to give a horrible wrestler a chance and let go of a promissing star who is probably just not ready. It woudn't help the indy feds. because Vince would take anybody good and showcase them on his shows. The indy's would be depleted. Noone would be able to buy an indy fed. ticket for $10 or $15 anymore. It's a horrible idea all around.

Sorry, Sly, but would the WWE make any money out of this? These indy feds aren't exactly terribly profitable. Plus, they effectively act as WWE feeders already (with no financial cost to the WWE), as the WWE can offer way more money than anyone else can around; they can have whatever talent they want whenever they want without having to spend a cent beforehand. You'd be fucking insane to turn down the WWE's cash (or, like Kurt Angle, you'd have to have a pre-existing beef with Triple H). But that's really it.

Saying the WWE could purchase all indy feds is like saying McDonald's could purchase all hamburgers. It's completely unrealistic.

Oh yeah, and if all wrestling everywhere was WWE, I'd shoot myself. WWE has a habit of taking blossoming talent and watering it down and promo-ing it out so that it essentially becomes a mirror of everyone else in the promotion (re:CM Punk). Next, they'd be wanting to buy out all the wrestling organizations in the world, and that my friend, would be hell on earth. I'll try to keep my John Cena contained to as small of a realm of control as possible, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back