• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The WWE Internet Championship

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
After reading about Zack Ryder defending his Internet Title against Primo lately, this has given me a ridiculous but funny idea. How bout the WWE make the Internet Title that Ryder so proudly wears today, a legit title? And every guy that the IWC pisses & moans at WWE to give a push to, wins that belt. Makes sense and that way WWE don't need to push them towards the higher title which they wouldn't be planning on doing anyway. And every guy who wins the belt will be called internet darlings from the commentators from that point. Surely that should make IWC guys proud then since their favourite jobbers would finally have a belt :rolleyes: The higher up titles will be there to please the live crowd in the arena since they matter more than the IWC and the Internet title will be there to please the IWC.

That would actually make sense. Its not weird to dedicate a title to the internet if you have a prominent fan base online. Of course it wouldnt hurt if they made an actual belt instead of the fake thing Ryder has.

I've thought about it myself, and why not make it a legitimate title where people vote or something on WWE.com who they want to see challenge for it, and maybe on Raw, or a dark match to a PPV, or even a curtain jerker on the PPV, it would be defended. It wouldn't need to be something where they write storylines for it and you don't really need to spend any TV time on it. The champion could say something like, "Well, I'm the most popular wrestler. People wanted to see me the most, so I'm sort of like, "the people's champion."" I don't know, it just seems like an easy way to make matches and to satisfy a certain portion of your audience. Like I was saying, you could even build a gimmick off of it where the champion really feels like he's representing the real fans, or some bullshit like that. I like the idea. They don't even have to make it a legit title, either. It could just be like the Million Dollar Championship was where someone just walks to the ring with it and declares himself Internet Champion, i.e. Zack Ryder. I like the idea of WWE building off of it; it's too good of an opportunity to waste.

in theory it sounds like fun, but u know the e would even fuck that up. remember foley? the title belt thatmr perfect smashed with a hammer in the late 80s early 90s was kept around and taped together to form the hardcore championship and given to mick foley as a joke and look where that led. dont get me wrong, loved the hardcore title and the matches were fun to watch, but if a internet title was to be legit created and defended online through votes or even actual dark matches with the outcome predetermined through voting. how long before it would make its way to live tv and evolve into the tv title?

You now how you can tell his Internet videos are all a work by the WWE, no other superstar on the entire roster of Smackdown or Raw has started doing them.

Maybe the WWE is using Ryder to test out how big of a following they can get on Youtube prior to launching some of their own products there.

it would make sense that way for a push for ryder...also he can defend it on nxt and superstars since they are 'internet' shows now

The television title has being used on WCW ECW TNA :p
I like the idea of using the internet title on superstars to help push guys like masters to a spot on raw but instead of calling it the internet title if its going to be defended on superstars then why not call it the superstars title :)

Are you lot for real? All of WWE's titles have lost prestige as of late especially the IC title, we don't need a ridiculous and meaningless championship added to the mix! It's already hard enough to take the 'E seriously as it is! I hope to Christ they don't make it a legit belt. Could you imagine watching WM and one of the matches on the card is Zach Ryder VS ~insert opponent here~ for the Internet Championship? No thank you.

I like the ideal; I think it would work. This would give a few other stars a little tv time. The WWE has had genre based titles before with success (cruiserweight & hardcore titles). The only problem I have is that they would make this thing too much of a comic relief, thus causing fans to take a given star seriously. However I do love the ideal only for a storyline or short period of time, no longer than a year.

Could you imagine watching WM and one of the matches on the card is Zach Ryder VS ~insert opponent here~ for the Internet Championship? No thank you.

Why not? I'll understand if you just don't like Ryder, but is it any more ridiculous than any of the other imaginary titles that they have? Belts in pro wrestling have always just been props to push wrestlers and story lines, but they have no real meaning; does anyone believe that John Cena has real athletic credentials or that he's the best wrestler in the company? The only reason we as fans put any value on the belts at all is because they're a sign of faith from Vince McMahon that he usually thinks you're worth a damn. We put value on the belts because they're sometimes a sign of things to come or, if you'll indulge me, a chance to possibly see the future. They're just macgufffins to create wrestling matches. Honestly, you don't even need them. So why not make an Internet Championship and let Zack Ryder defend it? If it gives anyone a push and promotes more wrestling, then I'm all for it. Maybe if they would merge the mid card titles and world titles, then they would feel less like macguffins and they'd have more intrinsic value. So, I understand what you mean that another championship would just be oversaturation, but introducing this particular belt would probably be more for laughs instead of actual competitive symbolism.

Why not? I'll understand if you just don't like Ryder, but is it any more ridiculous than any of the other imaginary titles that they have? Belts in pro wrestling have always just been props to push wrestlers and story lines, but they have no real meaning; does anyone believe that John Cena has real athletic credentials or that he's the best wrestler in the company? The only reason we as fans put any value on the belts at all is because they're a sign of faith from Vince McMahon that he usually thinks you're worth a damn. We put value on the belts because they're sometimes a sign of things to come or, if you'll indulge me, a chance to possibly see the future. They're just macgufffins to create wrestling matches. Honestly, you don't even need them. So why not make an Internet Championship and let Zack Ryder defend it? If it gives anyone a push and promotes more wrestling, then I'm all for it. Maybe if they would merge the mid card titles and world titles, then they would feel less like macguffins and they'd have more intrinsic value. So, I understand what you mean that another championship would just be oversaturation, but introducing this particular belt would probably be more for laughs instead of actual competitive symbolism.

That was the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. The belts are not needed? They are just props? If thats the case MMA, Boxing and whatever other companies should just drop their belts because in those sports the Boxers/Fighters that win the most get a chance at the belt to win it. Thats their reward and they get pushed by winning also. So you take away the pinnacle of their sports? So what would be the point of wrestling? To see how personal a fued gets? This is so dumb I cant believe I am even wasting energy on it. Have you even gone to an event? Belts are such a big deal, you can't go to a live event without seeing like 50 to 100 people wearing those belts on their shoulders. Basically your saying theres no difference in the Miz vs. Cena in just a 3 count fall would be more exciting than those two for the WWE title?

You basically just said the history of these titles mean nothing and that no one cares about the titles. Half of the damn retired wrestlers that have won belts have fucking trophy cases of the titles they won in the industry and you think they dont mean anything to people.

PLEASE DONT TYPE ANOTHER MESSAGE AGAIN. PLEASE!!

As for the thread, I think it would be funny to use it for a SHORT period of time to garner HEAT for someone. Say Ryder comes out and loses to someone via interference, while Ryder is getting beat on, his opponent takes Ryders belt and then you have a program for a month about Ryder trying to get his belt back at the PPV in a dark match or even the first match on the card but then I would do away with it. I do agree with the notion that the current belts have somewhat been made a joke of.

It would be pretty funny if they had a match on raw for it. Have it be a really good match. A lot of counters and close wins. Have both wrestlers put everything they got into it. Have whoever wins it really show emotion. As if he just ended the takers streak or something. It would be a wtf moment. These 2 guys put all they had for a belt that doesn't even matter???!!! Just hilarious I think. Make it a one time thing tho. But if for some reason it seems like a huge success then sure why not throw another match on. Shit, if they can give gillberg some tv time then why not this? [Rep] [!!]

Silrock, the difference between a belt in wrestling and a belt in mma or boxing is wrestling is predetermined. Mma and boxing are legitimate sports where there is legitimate competition for a symbol that shows the world you are the best at that time. In wrestling, people are giving the belt as a way to sell tickets. It could be held for years or dropped the same night, and the athlete has no control over that fact, only the promoter does.

Please don't go all caps and yell at people to never post again when your reason to yell is illogical and not thought out

No just no, I actually brought this up with a mod the other night in one of our everyday wrestling chats. I thought they could bring this in on superstars, since mostly the same people are on the show. Bring it in and have people fight over it on superstars.

But in reality, it's just a fake prop that Zack is using to get himself over on. You could never use it or any belt the wwe would make. Because of one small thing. The stickers on it have trademarked logos. Vince can't sell the belt as merch, because of the fb and other logos on it. So that just blows it outta the water anyways.

Other than that the title being put on superstars would have little to no value at all. Becuase really there aren't any storylines on superstars. It's just wrestling, so it would be the hardcore title all over again.

No. The Internet championship title is just a novelty title that will slowly fade into obscurity within a couple of months. Make it a legit title, and it still won't mean anything. It will appease the internet fans for a short stint, but it won't prove to be overly fruitful.

Therefore, it would be basically pointless to feature the internet championship prominently. Just the IWC benefits, and no one else.

That was the single dumbest thing I have ever heard. The belts are not needed? They are just props? If thats the case MMA, Boxing and whatever other companies should just drop their belts because in those sports the Boxers/Fighters that win the most get a chance at the belt to win it. Thats their reward and they get pushed by winning also. So you take away the pinnacle of their sports? So what would be the point of wrestling? To see how personal a fued gets? This is so dumb I cant believe I am even wasting energy on it. Have you even gone to an event? Belts are such a big deal, you can't go to a live event without seeing like 50 to 100 people wearing those belts on their shoulders. Basically your saying theres no difference in the Miz vs. Cena in just a 3 count fall would be more exciting than those two for the WWE title?

You basically just said the history of these titles mean nothing and that no one cares about the titles. Half of the damn retired wrestlers that have won belts have fucking trophy cases of the titles they won in the industry and you think they dont mean anything to people.

PLEASE DONT TYPE ANOTHER MESSAGE AGAIN. PLEASE!!

As for the thread, I think it would be funny to use it for a SHORT period of time to garner HEAT for someone. Say Ryder comes out and loses to someone via interference, while Ryder is getting beat on, his opponent takes Ryders belt and then you have a program for a month about Ryder trying to get his belt back at the PPV in a dark match or even the first match on the card but then I would do away with it. I do agree with the notion that the current belts have somewhat been made a joke of.

People can be so dumb. Dude, how in the hell do you say wrestling titles have the same value as a boxing or MMA championship then turn around & say the "current belts have been made a joke of". I'm not a smart man by any means, but even I could spot the obvious contradictions in your post.

Foshinzo is 100% right, the titles are just props. Like has already been said, match outcomes are predetermined. In MMA (here's a real shocker) they're not predetermined.

So sit your ass down & eat yer raspberries, boy!!

As for the Internet Championship idea I don't think it's that bad of an idea, providing of course the WWE was promoting some sort of online shindig or something (does Superstars have a TV broadcast yet or is it still an online thingy).

I can't imagine WWE cares too much for internet wrasslin fans anyway; we're so self righteous and annoying, ha ha.

When Ryder first bought out the Internet belt I had a feeling that maybe the WWE could incorporate this into a title, where the matches are voted by the WWE Universe on WWE.COM and the winners fighting each week in matches set by the Universe :) Would be epic, and especially when we get to chose the match types and competitors from the lower and mid card :)

Considering how little the actual midcard titles mean nowadays, doing something like this would be a good start towards re-instituting the prestige of ALL titles, while allowing some good fan participation as has been suggested. I don't see anything wrong with having novelty championships; same reason I never hated the Hardcore Title like most others seemed to. We know that it's not as important as most of the other titles, but it provides a bit of fun and gives guys who don't have much else to do, something to fight for. With all the ways WWE is trying to promote the use of the internet and social media as of late, this could be a perfect example to incorporate that into their programming.

(For example, they could say "vote on these three choices by using hashtags #primo, #mcintyre, or #masters in a Twitter post.")

Nah. Uncle Phatso actually brought it up to me the other night, and while it could work, the last thing the WWE needs is another title that nobody cares about. Why would guys be fighting over a title that basically says that whoever holds it is the best guy that will never get real TV time? If you held the title you'd be stuck in Superstars, so you'd be better off not having the belt because then you'd have some upwards mobility. The US/IC champions are some of the best the midcard has to offer, as is the case with the WWE/World Heavyweight Championships. The Internet Champion would be the guy that's not worthy of moving up to the main roster.

Furthermore, the belt is Zack Ryder's creation. He made it as a joke and an homage to his fans for supporting him on the internet. It would be pretty shitty of the WWE to effectively confiscate something that wasn't theirs to begin with and declare that it's a new championship for the company. I realize Ryder defended it against Primo in a dark match, but that was just the WWE letting Ryder work to get himself over, as I'm sure tons of fans loved it.

So no, don't use the Internet Champion as some sort of undercard brass ring, it's cheap and worthless.

the issue is how many guys have online followers? zack ryder and sean walman are the only 2 guys with an internet following, i honestly see ryders belt being like the million dollar belt, just a belt for ryder, unless a bunch of lower card guys start making videos then i would see the point in making it a legit title, until then this idea is kinda pointless.

I doubt this would happen. I mean, I totally agree that it would be very enjoyable to watch, but Vince McMahon said it himself, he doesn't pander to the IWC. In fact, he doesn't CARE about the IWC. Bischoff also stated that the IWC are just 10%er's compared to the entire fan base of a promotion. Therefore, I highly believe that Vince is not bringing the WWE Internet Championship up to either shows. I think it's good on the live events. I mean, live events are EXTREMELY different than televised shows. So, I don't think we are going to see the Internet title getting any legit prestige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back