The Wrestling Classic with KB

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestling Classic
Date: November 7, 1985
Attendance: 14,000
Commentators: Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura

For the sake of reviewing every PPV in the 1980s, I present to you the Wrestling Classic. This is a tournament and that’s about it. There’s also a WWF Title match between Hogan and Piper. This is actually the first ever Pay Per View in WWF history as the first Wrestlemania was only shown on closed circuit. There’s only been one big thing since Mania, and that is the debut of one Randy Savage, who is probably the biggest star in this tournament.

It’s a big deal though as there’s never been a tournament like this before, so this is a completely new concept. The interesting thing is that there wasn’t another one televised until 1988, so take that for what it’s worth. With that, let’s get to the show!

This is broadcast on something called Wrestlevision. That’s a new one on me. There’s also a contest where some fan is going to win a Rolls Royce. Vince is your host here, talking to Alfred Hayes and some chick that I’ve never heard of before named Susan. They go over the brackets, which look like this:

Adrian Adonis
Corporal Kirchner

Dynamite Kid
Nikolai Volkoff

Ivan Putski
Randy Savage

Davey Boy Smith
Ricky Steamboat

Iron Sheik
Junkyard Dog

Terry Funk
Moondog Spot

Don Muraco
Tito Santana

Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton Jr.

This is either going to be really interesting or complete and utter crap. I’m not sure which. Steamboat vs. Smith sounds awesome, as does Santana vs. Muraco. We get some highlights of the drawing, which is really kind of pointless. Savage says Liz screwed it up though, continuing his being an asshole.

Gene is with Jack Tunney. Geez has he ever looked young? They go over the rules, which more or less is only the winners advance.

First Round: Adrian Adonis vs. Corporal Kirchner

Wow, so we have two guys that never really did anything of note in the company in the first round. Adonis is a much thinner guy here and a very straight biker. This has a ten minute time limit so I’m guessing there’s not going to be much to talk about. They say that Adonis has bulked up, which is a nice way of saying he’s rapidly becoming fat. In a very interesting thing, Gorilla says that Adonis and Ventura are former world tag team champions.

That’s very true, but they did it in the AWA and not the WWF. That’s most interesting. Jimmy is rocking a tiger striped jacket. You have to love the 80s. Adonis is actually a decent guy as far as technical stuff goes. We’re on our second rest hold in less than two minutes. Come on now guys. The ring sounds very metallic for some reason.

It did that for the only other Kirchner match I’ve ever seen too. The referee is wearing a white collared shirt and blue pants which just looks odd indeed. Kirchner goes for a suplex but Adonis hooks the leg and slams him down into what would later become known as the DDT. That looked really cool actually.

Rating: C-. These ratings are going to be really hard to do with such short matches. In a four minute match we had two rest holds and a cool looking finish. What else can I give it but not that awful? Something tells me I’ll be doing a lot of things like this today.

Adonis is with Gene, and says that he’s got class and charisma and will rewrite wrestling history. He wants to be Vince McMahon? His nickname is the Golden Boy. Ok then.

First Round: Dynamite Kid vs. Nikolai Volkoff

Holy international incident Batman! Volkoff is of course Russian and therefore evil. Dynamite even looks something like Benoit. That’s just flat out scary. Nikolai is oddly thin here. Only in the WWF would a USA chant start up for a match between a Russian wrestler against a British wrestler.

I’ve always wondered if that’s the real song or not. The bell rings during the song and allegedly in six seconds, Dynamite gets up top and hits a dropkick for the pin. I don’t think so but it was less than ten at most. Well the fans are awake now.

Rating: N/A. Although I’d take points off for the second half of the match. It just wasn’t that good.

Gene is with Savage and Liz. During the interview for some reason Fink is talking. I can’t make out what he’s saying though. Savage’s robe is actually tied which just looks odd on him. He admits he’s nervous. I’ve never heard him say something like that.

First Round: Ivan Putski vs. Randy Savage

Putski is a veteran kind of like Hardcore Holly I guess while Savage is the young guy that’s been kicking all kinds of ass. Liz gets a huge pop of course, as the idea of a hot valet was born with her. The music sounds a bit odd too. Maybe it’s a different recording or something like that. Savage needs to let that robe hang open like he usually does. He looks like he’s wearing a bathrobe in an indy fed or something. Jesse says he’s been training Savage. Oh dear indeed.

Only Savage could make purple tights look tough. I’d like to know where this weird stigma of Savage being a power guy came from. He’s not a power guy and is average at his absolute best in that area. The basic idea here is Ivan is really, really strong. That’s about it. Hokey smoke Putski can’t do much. Ok the match is over at this point. In summation, Putski used a total of one slam of Randy’s face into the mat, 5 kicks in a row, and the rest was all punching.

In a terrible ending, Savage is getting his ass kicked in the corner and casually scoops the legs of Ivan out and puts his feet on the ropes for the pin. The stupid part: Putski acts dead. I mean he doesn’t move at all. It looks ridiculously stupid as he’s not even trying to get out. What was the point of that?

Rating: F. This was just pointless crap. Savage runs away for awhile, gets beaten up, and cheats to get a quick win? Who was supposed to be getting the push here? Somehow, Ivan is in the Hall of Fame and Savage isn’t. It’s like a sick joke or something. Does someone find this funny? Vince, even if he screwed your daughter, get over it.

Nikolai runs up to Vince and complains about being robbed. Amazingly I can understand his whole rant. Nikolai looks like he wants to kill Vince which is just amusing.

First Round: Ricky Steamboat vs. Davey Boy Smith

Smith is from Leeds. Rock on Becca. This should be completely awesome. They start with an excellent technical set that had me impressed. They slightly botch a bridge into a backslide, but come on now. That’s one of the hardest moves in the world to do right and it came off ok. I’m fine with that. Davey takes over with a gorilla press as Jesse thinks that Ricky is faster and Davey is stronger.

You have to love that top notch technical knowledge from the Body. Gorilla says he’s not sure on either count. To be fair, this was WAY before Davey became the super strong guy that he’s known as being. Here’s he’s not exactly a cruiserweight, but he’s not a monster either, so maybe there’s a little something to what they’re saying. That makes more sense than I thought it did. Steamboat actually busts out a delayed vertical suplex to steal Smith’s signature.

However, Davey goes for a dropkick with Steamboat against the ropes and misses. He lands weird and the referee stops it. I think that was at least somewhat legit as Davey looks like he’s in agony and is holding his crotch, so I’d be surprised if that was fake. Damn good match in the time they had though.

Rating: A-. I want more of this. This is a great matchup as both guys wrestle a similar style but can mix it up when needed. This was easily the only match that I really wanted to see in the first round, and sadly it didn’t last long. Anyway, for what it was, this was excellent stuff. The more I think about it though the more I think that ending was a work. What other way could you end this given the way they were doing things? None that I can think of.

Gene is with JYD, who says that he’s very excited. He’s ok on the mic actually. If he wasn’t as bad of a wrestler as I can ever remember he would have been passable actually.

First Round: Junkyard Dog vs. Iron Sheik

I like JYD’s song. It’s just old school personified. Sheik jumps him as it’s still playing though, which in a bit of a comedic moment is how Sheik’s former partner lost earlier in the night. Sheik is freaking ripped. Somehow, Dog is more limited than Putski was earlier. He hits nothing but punches and headbutts. Eventually he goes down though and Sheik gets the clutch on him. Jesse says no one has ever gotten out of this.

You know, other than Hogan in the match that changed wrestling forever but that didn’t mean as much as this did of course. It’s also the sloppiest camel clutch this side of Sid Vicious. Damn it’s bad. Dog gets out of it kind of as Sheik argues with the referee. In an even dumber ending than before, a headbutt gets the pin. What? He used two of them before and didn’t even knock Sheik down but here that’s enough to get a clean pin? Come on now guys at least give us some consistency!

Why couldn’t one of these two have gotten hurt early? I hate booking like this. It’s more or less saying the lazier you are, the stronger you’ll get pushed. That’s great business wouldn’t you say?

Rating: F-. Where do I begin? Let’s see: the moves were limited and sloppy, the thing lasted three whole minutes which I’ll never get back, and the ending made zero sense. What kind of a grade did you expect here?

Gene is with Terry Funk who sounds as cool as anyone in history. He says he wants Orndorff because of the bounty on him, and then he wants to be world champion. This was around the time of his first retirement. Jimmy says he’s got a big surprise.

First Round: Terry Funk vs. Moondog Spot

Uh, yeah about the Moondogs. How in the world do I put this? More or less they were the Headshrinkers mixed with Mankind. They were the first sort of brawling tag team but they were completely insane. They would beat on people with bones and then chew on them. There was a big rotating cast of Moondogs, with Spot being I guess the most famous of them. They never really did much on the national scene but in Memphis they were considered a big deal.

To be fair though, they did win the WWF Tag Titles back in 1981 so there we are. If nothing else, he has a beard that Santa Claus would be proud of. Anyway, this is another 15 second match as Funk says that neither of them wants to wrestle the other so they should both just go to the floor and have a draw.

Well that’s different if nothing else. Naturally there’s double cross as Funk tries to get back in. After a mix up though, Spot gets back in and advances. Funk beats him down anyway, but whatever. This was a pretty big upset actually.

Rating: C. This would usually be N/A, but since I’ve never seen something like that before, we’ll call it good. That was actually creative booking which I never get tired of seeing.

Gene is with Fuji and Muraco. Fuji says Muraco will beat Santana. Why does it take him 15 seconds to say that?

First Round: Tito Santana vs. Don Muraco

Tito is IC Champion here, yet he doesn’t get an introduction? That makes a lot of sense. These two had some great matches for the IC belt awhile back. Gorilla and Jesse debate the wisdom of a champion being in the tournament which is a valid point. Santana really is underrated in the ring. I defy you to find a truly bad Santana match where he wasn’t getting squashed. This is just a great old school style of a match here in all its 80s greatness.

They work a very different style than what you would see on TV today but it was great stuff. A lot of the time the more basic you go the better your stuff will be. That’s what should be on Tito’s tombstone as it was how his whole career went. In an ending that I really like, Muraco hits a powerslam for the three, but Santana’s foot is over the rope. Muraco is celebrating and walks into a small package for the real pin. I really like that.

It makes Muraco looks fairly strong as he actually got Santana down for three while at the same time it keeps Santana from looking weak because while he was pinned, it wasn’t legal. Again, creative booking makes things that otherwise would be bad much better. Fun match.

Rating: B. While they only had four minutes, they were a good four minutes. See, you can have matches like JYD and Sheik that are short and suck, and then you can have matches like this that was short and good. These two went out there and went hard for a few minutes and had a fun match. That’s how it’s done guys. Take notes. Santana really was a master in the ring and Muraco was no slouch either.

Heenan is with Gene and says that even though none of the Heenan Family is in the tournament, don’t forget about them. This was around the time where Heenan had a bounty on the head of Paul Orndorff of 50,000 dollar to whoever could take him out. It was never claimed as Orndorff turned heel again, despite saying Heenan wrecked his career. Yeah I don’t care either. Paul was just boring for the most part, but when he was a heel, he was a pretty damn sweet one.

First Round: Bob Orton Jr. vs. Paul Orndorff

This is the final first round match, so if nothing else we can move on to some more interesting stuff, at least in theory. Orton has a sore arm apparently. Doesn’t look serious though so he should be fine soon. The main idea here is that Orton wants the bounty. The arm has been injured about 8 months already and I think it still would be at Mania 3. For a little reference, this is about six months before Mania 2.

In a wise move, Orndorff works on the arm. Well at least he’s smart about it. In a freaking sick looking move, Paul (way too annoying to have to keep typing his last name) hooks his feet around the arm of Orton and more or less uses an Indian Deathlock on it. That looked awesome. There’s your heel comeback but I’m distracted by the hotness of Mickie James on Smackdown.

Ok I’m back now. How did two hours pass in between there??? And why am I all sticky? When did I go to Arby’s??? Oh well at least it tastes good. Orton is the bodyguard of Piper at this point so he’s being constantly called the bodyguard of Piper. He really was technically sound if nothing else so there we are. This is actually a pretty good match just like the previous one. These are two guys that can work a decent match when they have to.

Paul was a good wrestler but a horrible character if that makes sense. He was just bland as hell. Think about it: name one time where he was interesting other than Hogan. See what I mean? In another kind of dumb ending, a cast shot gets the DQ for Paul. Well, that’s one way to do it I guess. This wound up becoming part of a bigger feud involving Piper and Muraco that would eventually result in Piper’s great heel work turning Orndorff heel again in about a year or less.

Rating: B-. Again, this is a solid example of how you make a decent match. Now to be fair they had a lot more time here than anyone else has had (seven minutes which still isn’t much at all) and they made the most of it. There was a story here or at least something looking like one. Both guys worked fairly hard and while the ending sucked, not much else did. That’s how it’s done again.

In a BIZARRE moment, we go back to the big board where Hayes is more or less groping the girl. She’s kind of laughing, but it just looks strange as hell. Vince stops him as for some reason that comes off as hilarious to me. They go over the brackets, which look like this:

Adrian Adonis
Dynamite Kid

Randy Savage
Ricky Steamboat

Junkyard Dog
Moondog Spot

Tito Santana
Paul Orndorff

Well at least we’re getting closer to this being manageable. The problem here is that the card is too crowded. The second round has 15 minute time limits, which should have been all we had for the whole card. By having only 8 guys you could have had a far longer set of matches and maybe some other non tournament stuff on the card.

Granted they had no way of knowing that though so I’ll let that slide. At the end of this interview segment, Funk runs up saying he was robbed! The girl hasn’t said a word this whole show. Funk says he can beat everyone in the company.

Second Round: Adrian Adonis vs. Dynamite Kid

Remember, we have 15 minutes now so Dynamite can go for 9 seconds here. I like that they mention who the wrestlers beat. It’s a nice little touch that isn’t hard at all to throw in there. Dynamite starts off hot here but then we move into a far slower pace that’s just not great. Jesse actually leaves halfway through this, saying he has to talk to Savage about his match with Steamboat. Well that was weird. Amazingly Gorilla isn’t bad on the mic by himself.

However, this match is pretty bad. It’s Adrian dominating for the most part which means he’s trying to catch Randy Orton for most chinlocks. Why would you have a guy that can go like Dynamite down on the mat for the majority of the match? That’s just bad booking. Adrian puts on a Sharpshooter which makes my eyes get very big. I didn’t think that was something that was even known in this country at that time.

After clearly calling a spot to Dynamite, Adonis gets reversed. However, instead of actually having something interesting happen like Dynamite being in control, it’s right back to the same stuff we’ve been doing all match. Yep that’s just BRILLIANT guys. Ah there we go.

Dynamite Benoit picks things up and if nothing else we’re not just laying around doing nothing. Benoit…I mean Dynamite hits a diving headbutt but Hart messes up the pin. Adrian is shoved into him, resulting in the pin. Dynamite might hurt his knee here but it’s hard to tell. He’s limping a bit but he’s walking so there we are. Adonis has a Jericho and Christian level fit after losing.

Rating: C-. This was a tale of two grades here. When Adrian was in control, I was hoping he would start skipping around the ring in pink as it would have at least been funny. This was just flat out boring. However, when Dynamite was in control, it was very interesting. You can see so much of him in Benoit and that’s a very high compliment in my mind.

Jesse is with Gene and says that he’s got Savage ready. Naturally Jesse says that he’ll remain unbiased the whole time. Gene says that he never stays unbiased but Jesse is cut off and we’re back in the arena for this.

Second Round: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat

OH HELL YES! Now this literally has to be good. Steamboat gets no introduction and Savage gets a full one. Well ok then. Savage has changed to a sleeveless vest kind of thing which works much better. Liz has also changed, and now I’m going to hell for thinking about her naked. You just don’t do that with her, ever. The hiding behind Liz was about as great of a heel move as there ever has been. Naturally he jumps Steamboat and we’re ready to go now.

Gorilla is still on his own here. Now we’re getting some standard great stuff from Savage so all is right with the world now. These two are a couple of guys that you can just throw out there and tell them to go and you’ll always get a great one. These two could just move so fast out there that it was almost unreal. Jesse is back now. FINALLY we get a counter from the top that looks normal as Steamboat gets a punch to the ribs to stop a double axehandle.

Thank you as I get so tired of the spot where someone jumps into a waiting boot from a guy on the ground, but it’s so painfully clear that the guy wasn’t going for a move at all but just to jump into the boot. What are we supposed to believe he’s trying in that situation anyway? Whatever. Steamboat gets the cross body but Savage kicks out with more or less ease.

In the EXACT same finish that Savage would use to win the IC Title from Santana shortly after this, Savage gets a foreign object from his tights and nails Steamboat with it as he’s getting belly to backed into the ring. Damn there were a lot of midcard guys whose last names started with S.

I love how brass knuckles, which I believe are considered a lethal weapon, are apparently as common as apples in wrestling. Anyway, Gorilla says he thinks Jesse might have given them to Savage. That’s very interesting so of course nothing ever really came of it.

Rating: B. Well, they went on to have one of the best matches if not the best match of all time in about 18 months, so there’s nothing they can really do to live up to that. This however was fine I guess, with these two always being great together. This was just thrown together but it’s still one of the best matches of the night. There’s a reason that can happen: it’s called talent. It’s a shame more people don’t have it.

Gene is with Moondog Spot, who is chewing on a bone. He can’t actually talk thought so there we go.

Second Round: Moondog Spot vs. Junkyard Dog

NO YOU IDIOTS DON’T ENCOURAGE DOG! That’s just evil. Why does someone with such great music have to suck so much? WOW. Ok, so this is what happens here: Spot jumps him and misses a splash. Dog hits some headbutts because he doesn’t know how to do anything else, and then we notice something: there’s no referee here.

That’s odd indeed, but I’m sure one will be there soon. Dog hits the big headbutt and actually COUNTS HIS OWN PIN. Now usually this would mean nothing, but of course since it’s JYD it stands. Yes, JYD counts his own pin and it is enough to get him to the semi finals. When the referees don’t care enough about you to even be at ringside, that’s saying a lot.

Rating: N/A. I don’t even think a match happened so of course there’s no grade.

Gene is with Bobby…again, who says nothing of note.

Second Round: Paul Orndorff vs. Tito Santana

After a handshake, Jesse gets into his Tiajuana routine which really is borderline racist. Gorilla bails him out with the great line of Tito being Intercontinental Champion of the World. Tito’s leg is taped here which wasn’t the case in the first match. This starts with a very technical style that works to an extent. Naturally the fans think it’s a bit boring but what do they know? For some reason Jesse makes his second Watergate reference of the night.

It was ten years ago at least at this point but whatever. Tito’s leg is hurt even worse here, and the more I see of it the more I’m sure it’s kayfabe. Again, that’s more creative booking. They needed to have something different for every match I guess so there we are. This is a very technical style that I think I like a lot here. These guys are flowing pretty well out there and that’s all I ask for. We hit the floor and they hammer away and yep it’s a double count out.

What’s the deal with the cheap endings tonight? I guess you can’t put either over here due to their respective pushes but whatever. Jesse called that they would wind up acting heelish and to an extent he’s right. Of course Gorilla won’t admit it but that’s standard operating procedure.

Rating: C+. This was ok but not great at all. The problem was that two faces like this have a hard time having a solid match because you can’t damage either character by having them act evil. The technical stuff was a little boring but not bad at all. They could have done a great match with Paul as a heel and more time, but that’s the nature of the beasts known as tournament matches.

Back to Vince and Alfred and what’s her name for another recap. The final three are like this:

Dynamite Kid
Randy Savage

Junkyard Dog

Alfred says this is the most exciting thing he’s ever seen in wrestling. Was he not at Mania I’m assuming? You knew there was going to be a bye, but this means MORE JYD, so damn it all to hell. And what does that girl’s voice sound like???

Piper comes out with his bagpipe players which are always cool.

Gene is with Hulk who says that he’s ready. Halfway through this we get a graphic reminding us that he’s world champion. Well that’s good to know. Also his shirt says American Made, and damn it that was a good song!

WWF Title: Roddy Piper vs. Hulk Hogan

Hogan, in white tights, is jumped by Piper during the music. This is more or less a token title defense here as it’s pretty much fallout (8 months later) from Mania. It’s of course a brawl from the start as nothing else would work for these two I guess. This reminds me of a UK game as it’s blue and white. That automatically makes this awesome. Hogan is dominating early so all is right with the world.

The referee stops a punch though, allowing Piper to punch Hogan. God bless sensible officiating. In something you don’t see often from Hogan, he uses a bearhug. His weight and size was rarely talked about as he was always against monsters, but he was bigger than about 90% of wrestlers ever. That’s saying a lot. I think Hogan is the exception to my white tights=nice ass rule. This is about as standard as you can get as I feel like I’m watching a house show.

The sleeper is the submission hold of choice here and there’s the arm popping up on the third try. In a cool spot, Hogan runs at the ropes and dives over to break the hold. Yes you read that right, Hogan jumped. I’ll give you a minute to recover from that. Uh oh we have a ref bump. Piper drills him with a chair and of course being hit by a professional athlete with a large and heavy object made of steel isn’t enough to hurt Hogan at all.

Hogan gets Piper in a sleeper (yes you read that right) but Orton runs in for the DQ in another cheap finish. Orndorff makes the save. Gorilla says that Orton was effective. How? He caused his man to get a DQ and therefore it’s the same result as him getting pinned, but then again what do I know?

Rating: C-. This was generic, but then again it wasn’t bad at all. These two had a great chemistry together as there’s such a perfect natural rivalry that you can’t plan or script here. I always wanted for Piper to win the title, even for a month or two. Can you imagine the money that the rematches would draw? Hell that would have been FAR better as the main event of Mania 2. Anyway, this wasn’t bad or great, but it was more bad than good because of the ending.

Gene is with JYD who says he’s worked hard for this. I’m not even wasting a rant on that piece of garbage. Jimmy Hart runs in and yells at Dog about a bad angle that they did regarding Jimmy’s underwear. Don’t ask.

Semi-Finals: Randy Savage vs. Dynamite Kid

Oh damn that sounds really good. Again with the fifteen minutes though. There’s two matches left so they’re cutting it to fifteen minutes. That’s just brilliant isn’t it? They’re in different outfits again which they would do much better in 1988 at Mania 4. Savage is all patriotic in red, white and blue. Savage shows off his muscles which isn’t something that you see that often. Gorilla makes fun of his name and Jesse shuts him up by calling him Orangutan Monsoon. That was just funny.

This just looks awesome. Imagine Benoit against Savage and that’s what you’ve got here. In another great line, Gorilla asks what the point of having Liz out there is. Jesse says look at her and if you can’t figure it out you’re on your own. Jesse and Gorilla are just flat out greatness together. I really do see Benoit when I look at Dynamite. They’re that similar, even down to their muscle masses.

Considering the greatness of Hogan at the top and with great wrestlers like these two and Santana and Steamboat, how in the world could the WWF lose? In short, they simply weren’t going to for a good while. In a GREAT ending, Savage goes up to the top but gets crotched after an amazing dropkick. A perfect top rope superplex puts Savage down but he manages to hook his legs up with Dynamite’s for the pin. AWESOME ending.

Rating: A. Five freaking minutes for this? That’s ALL? I would pay to see more of these two as this was just great stuff. Screw the A-, as more time would make this an A+. Anyone that says neither of these guys were good in the ring, watch this match and if you still say that I’ll smack you with a halibut. That was a great ending and a great match.

We go to Vince and Susan for the Rolls Royce thing. SHE SPOKE! She said all of 20 words in about 2 minutes but she spoke! She did get a tiny jab in by saying she wishes she were in the car right now so there we go. I like her.

In the ring we have the Fink and four guys. Each of them say something.

Tunney says this is a big sweepstakes. He has a fat face.

Some guy named Basil says a lot of people voted.

We hear from the guy that handled the entries. REALLY? You let this guy talk but you couldn’t give freaking DYNAMITE KID AND RANDY FUCKING SAVAGE TWO MORE MINUTES??? Instead we hear a speech about how they fucking picked the entries? Oh give me a break.

We get commentary from Fink that is as follows: He’s giving the envelope to Alfred Hayes to open. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET ON WITH IT! Can’t you just flash the guy’s name on the screen and give the two great wrestlers more time? Nope, we have to give this time to people that we’re never going to hear or see again and that we don’t care about.

After we get a small glitch of hearing Gorilla when we weren’t supposed to, the guy that won is booed out of the freaking building. I mean it was BAD. We actually spent five minutes on that. I hate wrestling.

Gene is with Hogan who is wearing white tights. In the background we hear Fink announcing a return date. Hogan challenges Orton and Piper to a tag match with Orndorff. They say they have a little surprise, which would be Mr. T being back again for Mania 2.

Wrestling Classic Final: Junkyard Dog vs. Randy Savage

Savage is in freaking tye dye and limping badly. Please, make this one quick. Why is a black man from the south wearing chains? Does anyone else find that a bit stupid? Also, what kind of song is Grab Them Cakes? What cakes? I want some cake. Savage immediately gets a chair. I guess he can’t stay awake through the awfulness of a JYD match even if he’s in it. Savage throws it at him and Dog rams himself in the head with it. I already hate this match.

This is already painfully bad. For some reason Gene joins up on commentary. Was he just wandering around and happened to walk up there? Was he offered a plate of cookies or maybe some Rogaine? He can’t even sell a clothesline right. How hard could that possibly be? It’s a freaking clothesline. YOU FALL DOWN! Jesse is upset because JYD had a break. No Jesse, that’s called he has no talent.

In yet another great line, Jesse says that Okerlund has never done anything athletic in life other than tie his shoes and now he’s wearing Velcro’s. That’s just brilliant. Savage is dominating here. Damn it there’s the comeback. I hate this match deeply. No correction, I hate JYD. Savage gets thrown to the floor…and gets counted out. I’ll be right back.

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU GIVE THIS TO THE DOG??? SAVAGE WAS THE HOTTEST FUCKING THING IN THE DAMN WORLD RIGHT NOW AND YOU GIVE IT TO AN OVERRATED HACK LIKE J FUCKING Y D? WHY IN THE FREAKING WORLD WOULD YOU THINK THAT’S A GOOD IDEA??? I mean it makes NO sense. Savage is a freaking god in the ring and this fat waste of air gets it.

He wins one match with a bad headbutt, then counts another pin on his own, then gets a bye and wins a fucking tournament on a count out??? COME ON. That comes off as one thing: he’s not good enough to wrestle more than one legit match. I’m ticked off over something that happened 25 years ago. That’s sad. Jesse runs in for a protest that gets him nowhere.

Rating: D-. This was just a bad match and the booking is beyond bullshit. I’m pissed off and Savage got FREAKING ROBBED! Jesse is as right as possible.

Vince and Alfred wrap us up and we’re out. I will never get used to seeing credits on a wrestling show, and the closing theme is the same as to Hulk Hogan’s Rocking Wrestlers, which gets it some bonus points that it desperately needs.

Overall Rating: D. This show was bad, plain and simple. There’s some ok matches, but the booking was dumb, the majority of the matches sucked and there were far too many short matches/bullshit endings. It should have been 8 men with longer matches. That’s still 8 matches on the card and they would have been longer and much better.

Also, Savage should have won, end of story. JYD went on to a stupid tag match at Mania while Savage won the IC belt and held it for over a year. See what I mean here? Anyway, this show was bad and shouldn’t be viewed. That’s why I’m here I guess. Anyway, I’ll be back on Halloween to begin the Survivor Series reviews, so until then, don’t get frozen today!

Yeah not a very good show, but the concept of the event was great. They just executed it poorly. I love tournaments (so does this forum obviously), and I was always a big fan of the King of the Ring (is there a better way to elevate an upper midcarder to the main event? I think not), so this event appealed to me. Unfortunately for every five minutes we got of guys like Savage and Dynamite, we got about 10 minutes of Junk Yard Dog and Moondog Spot. I mean, seriously, how the fuck do you advance MOONDOG SPOT to the next round? I shake my head at that.

I actually thought the WWF title match was better than the C grade you gave it though. While not anything classic, it's definitely worth a watch and just seeing Hogan and Piper square off in their prime is enough to make the match engaging. I'd probably have given it around a B-.

Overall though, yeah, not a very good show. There were quite a few of those during that time.

It does involve Lord Alfred Hayes though, who may have been the most out-of-place persona in WWF history. Listening to him on commentary was painful (and he was almost ALWAYS on commentary on the old Boston and MSG shows), but the man is a guilty pleasure. You can't not be entertained by how terrible he was at his job.

I just tried scouring YouTube for one of my favorite moments in WWF history involving Hayes, but alas, I couldn't find it. It was from an episode of Tuesday Night Titans (quite possibly the worst show in wrestling history) in which for some reason a Polish woman was showing Alfred and Vince a tree that grew Polish sausages, which she'd pick while doing a dance. I promise you, I did not just make that up. If I could find that gem, oh how I'd post it. For now you'll just have to deal with a recounting of the segment from WrestleCrap.

Text by RD Reynolds

You ever have one of those days?

I'm preparing to write this week's induction, doing the screen grabs and such, and Blade and I start discussing it, and he starts asking questions about stuff that I don't remember seeing. This leads me to believe that either a) he's hit the bottle again or b) I am missing an entire DVD of the collection I am about to ridicule. While the latter is probably the far less likely of the above scenarios, it also turns out to be reality. I realize that, horror of horrors, there's way more to what I was about to mock than I had originally thought, and worse yet, I've only seen the second part of it, so I can't really do that and then a follow up the next week.

Scramble time.

There are unsung heroes of this here website. Two of the biggest are Harry Simon and Bill Brown, who send me seemingly unending supplies of DVDs and VHS's with oodles of crap. In fact, they've mailed me so many over the years that I simply have not had time to go through them all. They just all sit in this giant closet as WrestleCrap HQ, awaiting re-discovery. So I opened up the vault this week, reached in, and started going through the mass collection of nonsense starving for my attention.

Hmm, there's six T-120's of Muhammad Hussan. For sure that needs covered, but I ain't got 12 hours, let alone 36. Rosey, Super Hero in Training. Egads, that was awful. Why haven't I done that one yet? Let's see here, Polish Sausage Harvest...

Wait a minute.

POLISH SAUSAGE HARVEST?!

Talk about your WTF moments. What on earth could that be, I wonder. Actually, I lie - I did not wonder that. I wondered, instead, "That there might be something Blade has to review when the Lions lose our bet again next season." Shaken by the thought of a "sausage harvest", I popped the disc in to see just what the hell that it could even be. And...wow.

Just wow. It was from the TNT Show, a progrem the WWF aired in the mid 1980's which featured wrestlers (and they even called them "wrestlers" back then, believe it or not) in long interviews and nutty skits. If ever there was a gold mine of WrestleCrap, that show was it. We could probably do an induction a week from that show and not run out until 2017 or so.

So yep, sure enough, there was "Polish Power" Ivan Putski, sitting with Lord Alfred Hayes. It's kinda creepy, as his Lordship is seemingly looking at the muscle-bound Pole in the way, way too tight jeans a tad too longingly for my comfort. I really hope this isn't the start of something that should have been included on our WrestlePorn update a couple weeks ago.

Thankfully, I think, it's not. Instead, Putski is being interviewed by Vince McMahon.

Before we continue, I want to make a note for our younger 'Crappers out there, those who didn't live through the 1980's. That look, that color ensemble Vince is wearing: that was never cool. Never ever ever ever ever. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

So anyway, Putski is cutting this boring interview (no wonder they gave these guys wacky skits; I might fall asleep otherwise), and then drops a bomb on us: it's time once again for the POLISH SAUSAGE HARVEST.

Sho 'nuff, after break we get some old hag hanging out by a tree. A tree surrounded by baskets containing, you guessed it, polish sausages. "They grow on trees!" Putski explains to us.

There you go, kids - your Polish Fun Fact for the Day.

A closer examination reveals that he is, in fact, honest in this assessment

Well, maybe. They kinda look more like turds to me. But then I guess "The Polish Hanging Poop Harvest" wouldn't be quite as festive an occasion.

So Pink Suit Vince puts a mic in the old biddy's face and she explains this is actually a Kielbasa tree, the only one in existence. I'd question how that wouldn't make for much of a "harvest", but the old bat is on a roll and I don't want to spoil her fun. She explains how to tell when they are ripe, not only by color, but by sound and smell.

Lord Alfred, though, is none too impressed, making the classic Fart Smell Look™. "Nature never made anything smell this bad," Alfred quips as Putski and Vince urge him to slurp the sausage. Before he can, however, the wacky bitch starts yammering about insects and mustard and weebles(!!) and then, for no good reason, just starts doing a POLKA DANCE, complete with Lord Alfred singing.

I don't think that was sausage Alfred was smelling earlier - after seeing and hearing this, I'm pretty sure there had to have been a Polish Bong nearby. Following her rant about how the Polish Goverment has placed a statewide ban on any future Keilbasa tree plantings (????), I think you'd be hard pressed to disagree.

The segment ends with the traditional Polish Sausage Harvest ritual: with a Maroon tuxedo'ed Englishman imploring the old Polish woman to deep throat his kielbasa.

Wow, random tangent, I know. Just had to share my favorite Lord Alfred Hayes moment.

Ya know, granted I was like 5 years old, but I have nothing but great memories of JYD. So much so that I refuse to watch any of his matches today for fear of being disappointed. I loved him back then and I don't want to ruin that by sitting there picking apart his matches to analyze his work rate or something.

It's kinda like how I loved this cartoon called The Centurions back in the 80s. It was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen. Not long ago, I saw it was on the Boomerang network and watched and episode and it was total crap. I completely sodomized that good childhood memory by watching that show 20-some years later and comparing it to more modern favorites.

I think the point I'm trying to make here... actually more of a question I'm posing to KB is: If you had watched that PPV when it first aired way back then and not had the standards of today to compare it to, do you think you'd still have given it such a low score? Just wondering.

Somehow, I feel like it would be fun to watch this again, even if I ended up in the same dark place that you did, KB.

I wasn't a huge fan of Orndorff, but I did like his stuff with Cactus Jack in WCW, and it went a long way to me seeing him as a "legit" wrestler, not just the guy that was in the WrestleMania I main event.

JYD was awful...I can't believe he had a strong backing at all, and seeing him match up with Moondog Spot was just awful. I'm sure they were looking for a comedy match, but that doesn't even sound like it could have been.

Terry Funk really should have gone a little further though...Wasn't he feuding with Hogan on SNME at this point? Or around then? At least Dynamite had a solid run of opponents.

On the whole, sounds like a 50/50 kind of show, which just doesn't cut it for a PPV...

I legit cracked up every time you mentioned JYD. The man was beyond bad. That seemed like it was a thrown together show just to test the market. If I was testing the market, I would not have asked people if they wanted to shell out, I think it was $20 at the time, to see another one of those. All of those soft endings ruin any credibility the WWF would have had. Having JYD win the tournament is garbage. Having him win a match with a headbutt was worse.

I do want to comment that Tito Santana is probably the most underrated guy from the decade. He could straight go. He was a stud in the midcard in the singles and tag scene. He gave spirited promos the were always to the point. His flying forearm, at the time, looked like a killer finisher. That finisher, along with the DDT and powerbomb, are done in every match of consequence, and they no longer carry the same importance. Back then though, a Tito win could come out of nowhere. It was a same that they made him El Matador. That ruined him. It took him from being a good wrestler to someone from another country at a time when everyone wanted "real American heroes."

Ya know, granted I was like 5 years old, but I have nothing but great memories of JYD. So much so that I refuse to watch any of his matches today for fear of being disappointed. I loved him back then and I don't want to ruin that by sitting there picking apart his matches to analyze his work rate or something.

It's kinda like how I loved this cartoon called The Centurions back in the 80s. It was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen. Not long ago, I saw it was on the Boomerang network and watched and episode and it was total crap. I completely sodomized that good childhood memory by watching that show 20-some years later and comparing it to more modern favorites.

I think the point I'm trying to make here... actually more of a question I'm posing to KB is: If you had watched that PPV when it first aired way back then and not had the standards of today to compare it to, do you think you'd still have given it such a low score? Just wondering.

Randy Savage lived in Lexington for a long time. He and my Uncle worked out together for awhile. Do you think I'd accept anyone not named Hogan beating him?

Anyway, as for a serious answer, I really doubt it. I never liked JYD at all, even back in the day when my week revolved around renting tapes from Blockbuster on Friday. He just didn't do anything. Now there are a lot of wrestlers that can overcome a limited moveset (Hogan, Goldberg, Cena etc.). They do it with extreme charisma and being able to do a few moves really well. That never happened with JYD. I, like a lot of people, get into someone because of how cool a finisher is. Think about it. What's cool about Orton? The RKO. What's cool about Taker? The Tombstone. What's cool about JYD? Nothing. It's a freaking headbutt. he went to WCW and had some matches with Flair that were just garbage. When Flair can't carry you, no one can.

You can tell KLunderBunker's age from his review of this show. Please, please don't take offense to that, KLunder. I don't mean any, really.

What I'm saying is that it's clear from reading your review that you didn't actually live through that time period. While I never really cared for him much, especially after he left Mid-South for WWF, Junkyard Dog was one of the most over wrestlers of the generation. He was a terrible worker, but the kids loved him -- and, let's be honest, that's one aspect of Vince's booking that hasn't changed in all these years.

A few other things of note . . . Corporal Kirshner was a hack, but Adrian Adonis was not. He was actually a respected ring veteran who frequently main-evented against Bob Backlund during his late-'70s/early-'80s. He was considered a legit contender, too, and a genuine tough guy. That's why his sudden change to the effeminate "Adorable" Adrian Adonis was so shocking later in his career. And to say he never accomplished much in WWF isn't entirely fair. In addition to a tag title reign -- back when WWF didn't put gold on everybody -- he also had that legendary feud with Roddy Piper.

You're also not entirely fair to the Moondogs. There were a $hitload of them, but Rex and Spike were the main two, and together they were one of the most fearsome teams on the regional circuit and multiple-time tag champs, including several runs in WWF. What you hint at very accurately, though, is that once they were broken into singles competitors they became complete jobbers in WWF. (Trivial sidenote: Moondog Rex later became the original Smash in Demolition before being replaced by Barry "Krusher Kruschev" Darsow, aka, Repo Man, Blacktop Bully, etc.)

And last but not least, Miss Elizabeth might have been WWF's introduction to the hot female valet, but she was far from the first! Tons of others had been around for years before that. Hell, Missy Hyatt was burning up the south before Liz ever stepped foot in WWF!

Sorry, didn't mean to nit-pick. Reading your otherwise great review (that card SUCKED!) just made me think of a few things that, more or less unless you lived through those days, you might not know. Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

By the way, again speaking as someone who lived through that era, I remember thinking even then that quite a bit of the booking sucked (though I didn't know the word "booking" back then). WWF would frequently pack its shows with lots of count outs, disqualifications that didn't quite make sense and, more than anything, useless jobber squashes. And I'm not even talking about Mike Knox-style jobbers. These guys didn't even have a name you recognized, not to mention they were all about 100 lbs. lighter than the monsters crushing them. It was pretty pointless.

And those Tuesday night broadcasts, which were kind of like a late-night talk show with taped wrestling matches in-between, were REALLY obnoxious and pointless. God, to think I used to suffer through those on a regular basis. What the hell was my little 8 year old mind thinking??

And last but not least, Miss Elizabeth might have been WWF's introduction to the hot female valet, but she was far from the first! Tons of others had been around for years before that. Hell, Missy Hyatt was burning up the south before Liz ever stepped foot in WWF!

"Missy Hyatt burning up the South" says more than anything I ever could. She may have been before Miss Elizabeth, but she was not the original. Miss Elizabeth is the icon of managers and valets, and is remembered before most of the wrestlers of that time. There's Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Liz. It's just the way it is.

Missy Hyatt was a plaything for the wrestlers, and was never mainstream relevant until she went to WCW, and did whatever it was she was paid to do there.

Anyway, as for a serious answer, I really doubt it. I never liked JYD at all, even back in the day when my week revolved around renting tapes from Blockbuster on Friday. He just didn't do anything. Now there are a lot of wrestlers that can overcome a limited moveset (Hogan, Goldberg, Cena etc.). They do it with extreme charisma and being able to do a few moves really well. That never happened with JYD. I, like a lot of people, get into someone because of how cool a finisher is. Think about it. What's cool about Orton? The RKO. What's cool about Taker? The Tombstone. What's cool about JYD? Nothing. It's a freaking headbutt. he went to WCW and had some matches with Flair that were just garbage. When Flair can't carry you, no one can.

A headbutt is about as good as a leg drop for a finisher, wouldn't you say? Finishers are a big deal NOW, but again, getting back to my point about comparing old school wrestling to the product today, finishers weren't the big deal back then that they are now. At least, they didn't have to be so creative and flashy. They were just the indication that the pin was coming, or a way to build drama when someone kicked out of one. They weren't holy shit moments for the most part.

Granted, that's the first thing that drew me to Randy Savage. You just didn't see top rope elbow drops back then, and it was exciting to see. Still, I'm fairly confident that for ever example of a great finisher in the early to mid 80s, I can give you 3 counterexamples (but don't call me on this because it's 4 am and I don't wanna do it right now ;) ).

As for charisma, JYD must've had SOMETHING because I remember me and 4 or 5 of my friends in Kindergarten all had JYD lunch boxes.

NightShift, did you grow up watching federations like Mid-South or World Class Championship Wrestling? I won't defend Missy Hyatt as being considered a "classic wrestling manager," but she was unquestionably INCREDIBLY relevant in those federations. She was a focal point in several classic feuds and gained a tremendous amount of attention during that time.

Also, I'd point out that the timeframe being referenced here is years before Warrior ever came along. In fact, if taking this tournament as a "snap shot" of that particular time, I'd argue that Missy Hyatt was MORE relevant to wrestling at that particular time than Elizabeth.

While Elizabeth would unquestionably grow to iconic status later in her career, far surpassing any impact Hyatt ever had, at the point when this tournament actually occurred, she and Savage had just debuted in WWF and had yet to truly begin their climb to legendary status.

You can tell KLunderBunker's age from his review of this show. Please, please don't take offense to that, KLunder. I don't mean any, really.

What I'm saying is that it's clear from reading your review that you didn't actually live through that time period. While I never really cared for him much, especially after he left Mid-South for WWF, Junkyard Dog was one of the most over wrestlers of the generation. He was a terrible worker, but the kids loved him -- and, let's be honest, that's one aspect of Vince's booking that hasn't changed in all these years.

A few other things of note . . . Corporal Kirshner was a hack, but Adrian Adonis was not. He was actually a respected ring veteran who frequently main-evented against Bob Backlund during his late-'70s/early-'80s. He was considered a legit contender, too, and a genuine tough guy. That's why his sudden change to the effeminate "Adorable" Adrian Adonis was so shocking later in his career. And to say he never accomplished much in WWF isn't entirely fair. In addition to a tag title reign -- back when WWF didn't put gold on everybody -- he also had that legendary feud with Roddy Piper.

You're also not entirely fair to the Moondogs. There were a $hitload of them, but Rex and Spike were the main two, and together they were one of the most fearsome teams on the regional circuit and multiple-time tag champs, including several runs in WWF. What you hint at very accurately, though, is that once they were broken into singles competitors they became complete jobbers in WWF. (Trivial sidenote: Moondog Rex later became the original Smash in Demolition before being replaced by Barry "Krusher Kruschev" Darsow, aka, Repo Man, Blacktop Bully, etc.)

Sorry, didn't mean to nit-pick. Reading your otherwise great review (that card SUCKED!) just made me think of a few things that, more or less unless you lived through those days, you might not know. Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Don't hesitate for a second to nitpick. That's the point of these things. I love being called out.

Yeah I know those things, but the thing is those things hadn't happened on a national scale. i know about the WCCW valets and the girls in JCP, but those were very regional organizations. Liz was the first girl that was shown on national TV. Hell Gorgeous George had a girl that came with him to the ring.

I know JYD was an over guy. My point was that there was little reason for him to be over. I mean really, what about this guy was interesting at all? he couldn't wrestle, he knew all of two moves and he couldn't go for more than 10 minutes. I know he was over in Mid South, but again, that's a regional company. It's why guys like Flair and the other NWA Champions made such a big amount of money going from town to town: they would have to fight such awful wrestlers that would never get that kind of a chance otherwise, but no one would ever see the matches outside of the territories.

As for Adonis, yeah he used to be a tough guy (East-West Connection and North South Connection with Dick Murdoch) but at this point he was just fat and out of shape that would become a much bigger deal just a few months later. You can see it here really badly though as his chest is bigger than Liz's. I know he was a former great wrestler, but here he's just out of shape and useless.

Finally with the Moondogs, yes there were a ton of them and yes they were big deals in smaller companies, but so were guys like Chris Cage, Rob Conway, Flash Flanagan and Nick Dinsmore (all OVW mainstays). There's a reason that most of them did very little on the national stage: they just weren't needed there. Rex and Spot even won feud of the year from Meltzer against Jarrett and Lawler in 92, but again that was just in Memphis. At the end of the day, all that matters is what you do on the national stage in front of the biggest audience. Until then, no one will know what you've got.

A headbutt is about as good as a leg drop for a finisher, wouldn't you say? Finishers are a big deal NOW, but again, getting back to my point about comparing old school wrestling to the product today, finishers weren't the big deal back then that they are now. At least, they didn't have to be so creative and flashy. They were just the indication that the pin was coming, or a way to build drama when someone kicked out of one. They weren't holy shit moments for the most part.

Granted, that's the first thing that drew me to Randy Savage. You just didn't see top rope elbow drops back then, and it was exciting to see. Still, I'm fairly confident that for ever example of a great finisher in the early to mid 80s, I can give you 3 counterexamples (but don't call me on this because it's 4 am and I don't wanna do it right now ;) ).

As for charisma, JYD must've had SOMETHING because I remember me and 4 or 5 of my friends in Kindergarten all had JYD lunch boxes.

Exactly. At the end of the day, 99% of wrestlers have to have the in ring skills to back up their charisma. JYD simply didn't have it and it wore out quick. That's why I never liked him: I never once saw a good match out of him so even back then (early 90s) I found him very boring. He would jsut dance around with kids or something like that and I never was interested in him.

JYD was only particularly interesting wrestling on a smaller scale, because those federations allowed him to go all-out in the brawling style he knew best. WWF, even at that time, was too polished to allow those chains to be much more than decoration. I remember when he was in all kinds of bloody feuds in Mid-South.

Oh, and by the way, his theme song "Grab Them Cakes" was actually pretty racy for a G-rated superstar. The "cakes" he's referencing are a woman's a$$.

They didn't need to be flashy? The Million Dollar Dream...The Shake Rattle and Roll...The Big Boot...Steamboat's Splash...Jake's DDT...

They were HUGE, and they were very flashy. JYD had nothing, except for a few headbutts. Al Snow had headbutts, and he made them look amazing.

NightShift, did you grow up watching federations like Mid-South or World Class Championship Wrestling? I won't defend Missy Hyatt as being considered a "classic wrestling manager," but she was unquestionably INCREDIBLY relevant in those federations. She was a focal point in several classic feuds and gained a tremendous amount of attention during that time.

Nidia has been the focal point of a feud...I'd hardly call her relevant. Ever. As KB already said, Liz was national. She was a face, and a household name, and everyone loved her. Ladies envied her, and guys wanted her. That's what made her "disrobing" so much more awesome.

Also, I'd point out that the timeframe being referenced here is years before Warrior ever came along. In fact, if taking this tournament as a "snap shot" of that particular time, I'd argue that Missy Hyatt was MORE relevant to wrestling at that particular time than Elizabeth.

Elizabeth ended up being the reason the Mega Powers split. That's a pretty big deal. She was also a huge part to every one of Savage's storylines, all the way up until the end of his time in WCW. I stand by her being one of the top 5 names of that era.

NightShift, I don't think you're seeing my point. What I was trying to do in relation to this thread is put things into context as to where they were at the exact point in time that this card actually took place.

This tournament happened before Randy Savage was even a bona fide contender for the Intercontinental title, very soon after he debuted in WWF. Liz was just selected a month or two before to be his manager. She hadn't had an opportunity as of this tournament to do any of the things you mention.

Ultimately, I'm in complete agreement with you about her lasting impression on pro wrestling. What I'm saying is that at the time this event happened, she really wasn't the big deal she would eventually become.

My point in general was that it's easy to look back at this card now, in 2009, and ask, "What was WWF thinking?!" But to see it through the eyes of that timeframe allows us to understand things a lot better, and that's what I was trying to give KlunderBunker: The perspective of someone who lived through that era.

As for Missy Hyatt, I think even trying to use Nidia as a point of reference is really stretching things or, at a minimum, entirely unfair. First of all, I said classic feuds. You are entirely entitled to your opinion. To me, Hyatt's legacy is fairly clear, as she participated in angles/stories that still live on in legend. Sadly, Nidia never resulted in as much.

I straight up had this video when i was a child, no bullshit. Fucking loved it, I have watched this damn show SO many fucking times. The ring was like a trampoline, always thought that was pretty damn funny. Hm, what else do I remember from it. Hilarious that JYD made it to the end, from tom foolery. Macho Drink Savage did well for himself to win. Very solid card top to bottom, and would be a good way for any youngin to start off their wrestling knowledge.

NorCal, I wish I could say I had it on VHS or whatever at some point. Even though I was a little kid at the time, I actually remember when they announced the winner on WWF television. We had to look for the broadcast on my grandparents' satellite dish. Damn, this forum makes me feel old! LOL!

KB you had me in tears over here when you talked about the JYD/Savage match. I agree 100%, JYD (God rest his soul) was perhaps the MOST OVERRATED wrestler in the history of pro wrestling, period. The man did NOTHING. Sure, he was a showman, but placing him (and Putski) and NOT Savage in the HOF is like placing Shawn Bradley and Sam Bowie in the HOF and not Michael Jordan, and I had to look up Sam Bowie, that's how much he sucked.

Although this was late 1985, the NWA was having the greatest closed curcuit matches (since they didn't have a pay-per-view for a few more months I believe). The WWF at this time was basically about show, not wrestling, even though they tried to trick the fans into thinking it was about wrestling by matching up Dynamite against Savage, Steamboat against Bulldog and Savage Steamboat.

But since JYD was Hogan's freakin buddy, he gets the nod. If something like that were to happen today, they'd have to closed the doors forever. Total wash of a pay-per-view debut. Good thing we got to see Savage Steamboat II a few years later and out of our minds was that debacle of a farce of a pay-per-view. (no wonder the WWE never mentions it. I wouldn't either)

JYD was not nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be. If you watch his stuff from mid-south and stampede wrestling it wasn't bad at all. The reason his matches were nothing special in the WWE was because he was nothing more then a gimmick there.

Vince had him on all fours barking and doing headbutts to entertain the crowd. His job was to be insanely over and entertain the kids in the crowd, not to be putting on 5 star matches. If he was given a chance to really show his skills he still wouldn't have been amazing, but he would have at least been solid in the ring like he was in Mid South.

In the WWE he put on a show for the kids and was probably the most over guy in the company next to Hulk Hogan. While his matches were never classics he did his job to perfection.

But since JYD was Hogan's freakin buddy, he gets the nod.

That's really not an argument here. Savage was probably closer to Hogan than anyone, and he's the one that got the loss. He was clearly on his way to stardom here, and to not give him the win was just asinine. There was absolutely no reason for JYD to win this, and then go on to do nothing.

Even if he wasn't any good, you need to follow up a big win like this with some sort of run, and he didn't.

While his matches were never classics he did his job to perfection.

There's a long line of guys that "did their job", and would never have gotten a win like that. Active right now, there's Santino and Hornswoggle, and no one would ever buy them winning a legit match, must less a full tournament. At that time, there were guys like Santana and Orndorff that were simply doing their jobs, and at least Tito would have been a better choice to win. He actually went on to hold gold for the company...

There's a long line of guys that "did their job", and would never have gotten a win like that. Active right now, there's Santino and Hornswoggle, and no one would ever buy them winning a legit match, must less a full tournament. At that time, there were guys like Santana and Orndorff that were simply doing their jobs, and at least Tito would have been a better choice to win. He actually went on to hold gold for the company...

I'm throwing Hornswoggle out of the argument because although he does his job amazingly, he is not a serious competitor (unless he's facing Chavo of course). You say Santino does his job great which is true, but he isn't even in the top 10 of the most over people in the company. JYD was #2 to only Hulk fucking Hogan.

And it's not like he crushed the competition in the tournament and was made to look better then everyone. He beat the Iron Sheik and Moondog Spot. Then he got a bye to the finals where he won by count out. Savage was the one who was made to look strong. He got wins over Ivan Putski, Ricky Steamboat, and Dynamite Kid. Then he only lost in the finals because he was too exhausted to make his way back into the ring. JYD got the win because he was the most over face in the tournament. This was the WWE's first ever pay per view. There was no way they were going to end it with one of their top faces losing to a heel. JYD got the win and the fans all went home happy.

JYD was not #2 in the company at the time of this show. This is a few months after WrestleMania 1, and I'm pretty sure guys like Andre The Giant and Randy Savage were more over.

Andre was loved, even as a heel, and Savage was only about 3 months away from his first IC title win. There was no reason for JYD to win this, unless they were going to push him afterwards, and give him some sort of gold to justify it. Like KB said in the review: He didn't even get a ref for one of his matches. Really? They didn't care that much?

JYD was not #2 in the company at the time of this show. This is a few months after WrestleMania 1, and I'm pretty sure guys like Andre The Giant and Randy Savage were more over.

Andre was loved, even as a heel, and Savage was only about 3 months away from his first IC title win. There was no reason for JYD to win this, unless they were going to push him afterwards, and give him some sort of gold to justify it. Like KB said in the review: He didn't even get a ref for one of his matches. Really? They didn't care that much?

I'll give you Andre being ahead of JYD in popularity, but Andre wasn't even on the show so it's irrelevant. As far as Savage goes he hadn't even been in the company for 6 months yet. He wasn't in the WWE when the first Wrestlemania took place so this was his first major event. A lot of the crowd probably didn't give a shit about him. That's why it was booked perfectly. Savage is able to make a name for himself and look impressive, but the crowd gets what they want with JYD winning.

I'll give you Andre being ahead of JYD in popularity, but Andre wasn't even on the show so it's irrelevant. As far as Savage goes he hadn't even been in the company for 6 months yet. He wasn't in the WWE when the first Wrestlemania took place so this was his first major event. A lot of the crowd probably didn't give a shit about him. That's why it was booked perfectly. Savage is able to make a name for himself and look impressive, but the crowd gets what they want with JYD winning.

No, the booking wasn't perfect based on what happened after this show. Savage goes on to beat Santana for the IC belt while JYD goes on to do nothing of note. If you're going to push Savage and do nothing with Dog, why have Savage lose here to a guy that's doing nothing in the near future? By having Savage win it gives him a launching pad to start his career on with the next step being the Intercontinental Title. It's like having Santino beat Kofi to win King of the Ring then having Kofi get the US Title. That makes zero sense, but that's what happened here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back