The Undertaker's best opponent?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The Undertaker has been in the WWE for just over 22 years now. And Taker has put on some epic matches with fellow wrestling superstars, legends, and future WWE hall of famers. But from over those years who would you say is or was the Undertaker's best opponent? From the likes of Hogan, Yokozuna, Hart, HBK, HHH, Austin, Mankind (Mick Foley). Who truly is/was Taker's best wrestling opponent?

In my own opinion I would have to say that the Undertaker's best opponent would have to be...Bret "the Hitman" Hart! When these two wrestling legends first started working with each other it kinda looked like Bret was wrestling Frankenstien. But after awhile the Undertaker made the adjustment from wrestling like a stiff big man to a more flexable wrestler. Bret Hart helped the Undertaker in that sence during the mid-90's in the-then WWF. So that's my choice.

But Mankind was the Undertaker's most hated opponent that's for sure. But who do you feel is/was the Undertaker's best opponent ever?

I gotta go with Kane without a moment's hesitation. From Kane's debut, their first WrestleMania bout, to SummerSlam 2000, to the return of the Deadman and WrestleMania XX, to the Devil's Favorite Demon angle a few years ago. Interspersed throughout are runs as the mythical Brothers of Destruction. We're talking a decade-plus long rivalry that in many ways encapsulates what many think of when they think of "pro wrestling." To me, it's not even close.

Biggest matches - HBK
Best fued - Austin and Kane
Best kick ass matches - Mankind

there's my top 3

If i was going for overall i'd have to go with Mankind. at that stage Mick was working everyone into legendary status, whether it was working with The Rock, Taker or Austin all of them benefitted from facing the demented Mankind or Mick Foley. Takers matches with Mankind finally put that human effect to the Deadman, there was someone out there more evil, demented and had the deadman's number and it leadup to the most memorable Hell in a Cell match that cemented both men as Toughest SOB's.

I agree with GameOver, Mankind.

Their rivalry was legendary, the Hell in a Cell match was breath taking and when Foley came back for me after being carried out it brings shudders to my spine just thinking about it.

If you ask what his best match was then I think I might go with his Coffin match with Yokozuna. Remembering how Yokozuna reacted to the coffin and how the Undertaker came accross as invincible just to be shot down by Mr Fugi's cunning, I have no idea how many people came down to the ring and dropped their finishes but it was at least a dozen. On top of that there was the "show" at the end where Taker and the coffin vanished. Amazing.

For me it was Mankind, not because of the KOTR '98 match which was obviously memorable but unfortunately overshadowed the rest of Mick's amazing career. It is the summer 1996 feud i'm thinking of, it was WWE's feud of the year because every match,(aside from the failed lighter incident) was red hot. For me Foley was the first guy to really get the best out of 'Taker.

I'm probably one of the biggest Hitman marks there is out there, but I have to disagree that he was Taker's greatest opponent. While they had a couple of great matches, they really didn't have a memorable feud. Obviously, my vote would have to be for Kane, particularly when he was first introduced. It was the first time in Taker's career that he had an opponent that had a legitimate shot of destroying him. The other candidate for greatest opponent has to be Shawn Michaels, naturally. They put on not one, but two of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all time. Michaels came within an eyelash of actually ending the streak. Though scripted that way, and we all pretty much knew that would be the outcome after their second match, it was nonetheless a breathtaking display of athletic performance and intestinal fortitude by both men.

Wow IMO you really cant go wrong no matter who you pick as takers best Opponent!

Best Feud without a doubt IMO is Mankind. There matches are legendary. From Hell in the Cell to Buried alive matches and broiler room matches. Matches were hardcore and just truly brutal brutal stuff.

Best Matches HBK: From there first encounter at the 97 Hell in the Cell you just knew that these two had amazing chemistry together. Of course WM25 and WM26 there matches are just Wow jaw dropping. I honestly thought that HBK would defeat Taker at WM25 he just kept getting up and getting up. Truly magical matches.

But overall i gotta say HHH: These two legendary wrestlers just beat the hell out of each other. It is truly a display of athletic performance between these two future HOF'ers. WM17 WM27 WM28 are some of the most brutal athletic matches i have ever seen. Really between these two i cant say which one is better even though taker is up 3-0 it could easily be HHH up 3-0 thats how close those matches were.

Mick Foley by a landslide.

I've honestly never been more invested in a feud than the beginning of Undertaker/Mankind. Everything about that feud was intense. Up until that feud Taker had looked untouchable, superhuman even. Even during his feuds with Yokozuna and the Million Dollar Corporation where he was dwarfed by size and numbers, he still always seemed untouchable..

Enter Foley... Undertaker looked human for the first time ever. Not only was Foley keeping pace with Taker in terms of enduring pain, but he was arguably dishing out more in the early days. Their Boiler Room Brawl match is just brutal. Plus I can't remember a feud where two guys trusted each other more than that one.

I wish WWE would release a Rivalry DVD for this feud because just talking about it can't do it justice.

To me this is a pretty tough call between Kane and Mankind. Honestly, I think I have to go with Kane, I always love doppelganger feuds in anything(Ryu V Ken, Scorpion V Sub-Zero, Red Ranger VS Green Ranger, HBK VS. Bret Hart), and for the first time I felt like UT had met his match. I remember being absolutely freakin terrified of Kane like he was Freddy Krueger where as I was more confused by Mankind and what exactly his gimmick was. Besides that I never really felt like UT was scared of him. That's probably the main thing that sells Kane for me. I'm pretty sure he's the only character UT has ever actually feared.

I agree with you all above me that Mankind was a great opponent for The Undertaker and without trying to mention the infamous King of the Ring events they have had some brilliant matches and incidents like the burning of The Undertakers face and the way Mankind advertised the ppv leading into by advising parents not to order the ppv because of what Mankind was going to do to 'Taker and who can forget the Buried Alive match.

However imo the best opponent of 'Takers and my all time favourite has got to be Kane purely because of the whole scenario surrounding their 'parents' and the way Kane entered the wwf at the time for revenge. The 1st Wrestlemania match between the sides was one the 1st WM matches I felt 'Taker could of lost in. And then the whole storyline with Kane burrowing 'Kane in the Buried Alive match vs McMahon only for 'Taker to return to WM 20 for revenge. Their Buried Alive only recently was also one of the better events of the time.

I enjoyed his long feud with Kane, and it would get a definite second place from me... But the fact that Kane never really went over Taker in a meaningful way kind of puts a damper on it.

To the guy who said Taker was never scared of Mankind, you may be right... But Mankind brought a different kind of emotion out of Undertaker and that was sadness. When Paul Bearer turned on Undertaker and sided with Mankind during the Boiler Room Brawl, Taker had a look of shock on his face as if to say "WHY PAUL WHY?!" It wasn't anger, it was sadness.

Mankind ate Undertaker's soul. And while eventually Undertaker did prevail in the feud, Mankind always seemed equal throughout. I never really felt that way about Kane, especially since their relationship became convoluted over the years due to constant reuniting, etc. You could never really buy into Kane and Undertaker being bitter enemies after they became allies.

Man, this one is tough, because it's taking me in a few directions.

Yes, Kane and Mankind, are really good choices. The issue I have with them is that the 2 of them have faced Taker too often for it to be fresh each time.

I think Edge is a good choice, but there you have the opposite issue to Kane and Mankind: The two didn't face off enough.

For me, there is one guy and one guy only and that is HBK, Shawn Michaels. These two had two very distinct feuds, years apart, but each as great as the other. Each of their matches were classics and fresh. From the original one on one match, to HiTC, to the casket match that almost split HBK in half, their first feud was new at the time and brought on with purpose: HBK waffled Taker with a chair when he reffed Bret vs Taker. Years later, after an unheard of 10-15 minute 'match' to conclude the RR, they met again in two matches, one year apart and built perfectly, and again, fresh and with purpose.

Easily, HBK is Taker's top opponent.

I enjoyed his long feud with Kane, and it would get a definite second place from me... But the fact that Kane never really went over Taker in a meaningful way kind of puts a damper on it.

To the guy who said Taker was never scared of Mankind, you may be right... But Mankind brought a different kind of emotion out of Undertaker and that was sadness. When Paul Bearer turned on Undertaker and sided with Mankind during the Boiler Room Brawl, Taker had a look of shock on his face as if to say "WHY PAUL WHY?!" It wasn't anger, it was sadness.

Mankind ate Undertaker's soul. And while eventually Undertaker did prevail in the feud, Mankind always seemed equal throughout. I never really felt that way about Kane, especially since their relationship became convoluted over the years due to constant reuniting, etc. You could never really buy into Kane and Undertaker being bitter enemies after they became allies.
One thing I really enjoyed about Mankind v. Taker was that they made Mankind strong right off the bat. Just like a heel should be. There was no bullshit. They put him over. Unlike today, where it rarely if ever happens. It was surprising back then and it worked as Mankind was seen as a legitimate threat over a top guy. It made Taker look vulnerable and it made the feud well worth watching. This is how WWE should book more often.

Also, Biker Taker has grown on me. Unfortunately he has always been a kind of filler champion and so I have always like him better without the belt. He had some decent feuds with HHH and I am enjoying his brief run in with Hogan in 02.

Gotta go Mankind, I wish though Taker would have feuded with Dude Love, Cactus Jack and "Mick Foey" also

I really enjoyed the feud with Jake Roberts, and since Jake was his first real allie in WWF I think their was too much left on the table. They could have even did something with Jake when he came back in 96, maybe after he lost steam as a face (even maybe turned Taker heel?).

But to answer the question, his greatest opponent was Foley, with Kane & SCSA second and third...they should have made Jake a bigger part of his story and I really would have loved to see feuds with Savage and Piper in the early days.

Man, this one is tough, because it's taking me in a few directions.

Yes, Kane and Mankind, are really good choices. The issue I have with them is that the 2 of them have faced Taker too often for it to be fresh each time.

I think Edge is a good choice, but there you have the opposite issue to Kane and Mankind: The two didn't face off enough.

For me, there is one guy and one guy only and that is HBK, Shawn Michaels. These two had two very distinct feuds, years apart, but each as great as the other. Each of their matches were classics and fresh. From the original one on one match, to HiTC, to the casket match that almost split HBK in half, their first feud was new at the time and brought on with purpose: HBK waffled Taker with a chair when he reffed Bret vs Taker. Years later, after an unheard of 10-15 minute 'match' to conclude the RR, they met again in two matches, one year apart and built perfectly, and again, fresh and with purpose.

Easily, HBK is Taker's top opponent.

This sold me on HBK. I was torn between him and Mankind, and this reminded me of the HBK chair shot on Taker costing him the title against Bret. Their first fed was intense. Taker got extra aggressive against HBK, and that feud really got Shawn heading towards DX, and that first feud basically ended with the debut of Kane. Come to think of it Taker and HBK's first set of matches don't really get talked about enough. It was great stuff. As far as the Mania matches go, there isn't anything else I can say about them that hasn't been said. My pick is HBK for Taker's best opponent.

Here's my personal take:

1. Mankind - The Boiler Room Brawl, the Hell In A Cell, these guys have had some classic moments. I actually had Mankind 2nd originally. But as I was writing this, I changed it to number one. Because even though Taker won the feud, he no doubt did make Foley "famous". Kind of like Hart/Austin where both guys go over, but one gets catapulted up a level.

2. Kane - I originally had him first. Because they will forever be connected and intertwined in each others legacy. The brother backstory, how their relationship evolved from being enemies, to Brothers of Destruction, back to enemies again, they will forever be connected. If not Mankind, it would definitely be Kane.

3. HHH - They've had some legendary feuds and 'Mania matches. My personal favourite is at WrestleManiaX-7. I was never a big fan of the "American Bad Ass" gimmick, but the buildup to that feud was perfect. They were both so hostile towards each other and the payoff was excellent. This was right around when they started mentioning the streak... but they hadn't really put it over. And you legit thought HHH could win.

4. Steve Austin - Their feud throughout the attitude era was phenomenal. And the satanic attitude Taker is my FAVOURITE Taker character. It was so unbelievably badass. The "Highway to Hell" buildup to SummerSlam 1998 was especially great and really helped WWF start to kill WCW. But I also quite enjoyed their Buried Alive match, and their feud in 99 with the Corporate Ministry. It was the height of attitude era craziness, and they were always the two of the main guys in the spotlight.

5. Shawn Michaels - Shawn and Taker have obviously had some recent classics at WrestleMania. But their feud has been a great one, on and off since like 1997. I didn't put Bret here, because while they did have some good face vs face matches, and you never really knew who would win... Shawn had some legit storyline feuds with Taker, and some all time classic moments. Shawn is right behind Mankind in putting over how devastating a Hell In A Cell can be.

For one thing, it's sure as hell ain't Kane. They had terrible match after terrible match.

I'm torn between Mankind, HBK, and Batista. I'll go with HBK because I rate his matches against Taker slightly above Batista's. HBK/Taker was the perfect example of the little guy/big guy dynamic. Their match at Ground Zero was very underrated as it was a flat-out brawl and their HIAC is the best ever.

Sooo many good ones! Starting from the Hulk Hogan, Jake the snake, Yokozuna, Bret Hart, Austin... and the amazing one with mankind - and of course their legendary hell in a cell match! But, the best Undertaker opponent/feud ever was definitely the original one with Kane in 1997-1998! That was just superb storytelling, well written, well done in every manner!

It's really something when you look at Taker's career, so many big matches against arguably the biggest names in the industry post 1985 (Hogan, Flair, Austin, HHH, HBK, et all).

A couple of opponents not getting much attention here include Edge (didnt Edge manage to beat Taker every time they wrestled until WrestleMania, their matches were always great storytelling epics thanks to Edge's chicanery), HBK (never lost to Taker in a televised match until WrestleMania, always delivered great, intense, fast paced battles).

Not too many guys can claim a victory over Hogan, Flair, & Austin on PPV - in fact I wonder if anyone else ever pulled that trifecta ?

Though his character was never suited to a long reign as World Champion he has been a great worker as well as a great character as his bouts with Hart among others attest.

I still think Edge deserves some credit as an extremely tough opponent, he gave Taker fits forever. His best matches probably came against Hart, HBK, & HHH. Most memorable fued was probably against Kane when he first debuted.

Not too many guys can claim a victory over Hogan, Flair, & Austin on PPV - in fact I wonder if anyone else ever pulled that trifecta ?

The Rock? I don't know - did he ever wrestle Flair? I think at least a couple times on RAW.

Kurt Angle has beaten Hogan and Austin on PPV... He's beaten Flair, but can't remember if on PPV or not.

Big Show has beaten Hogan and Flair on PPV. Don't think he's ever beaten Austin.

Did Savage EVER pin Hogan? Ever? He's beaten Flair and "Stunning" Steve Austin in WCW, though that doesn't really count.

So maybe The Undertaker is the only one, you're right...? Would be interesting to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back