the true ICON

Hazardous

parental discretion advised
after watching a really harsh promo Jim Cornette cut in 1997 about people calling themselves "the Icon" of professional wrestling, it got me thinking... i'll go into that in a sec, but here was the highlights from it

"the cage match on WCW between Hogan and Piper for who the true icon in wrestling is, was a slap in the face to everyone in wrestling today. hogan is who he is because of main stream media attention, and at this point in his career is all washed up. piper hasnt been relevant in years (remember this was in '97!) HBK calls himself the Icon, and in the ring he is great, but outside of it he's a little boy with an attitude problem who packs up his trunks and goes home when he dont get his own way. Bret Hart is great in the ring also, but thats overshadowed by his constant crying that the WWF screwed him over. the TRUE Icon's of wrestling are the guys who dont have to say they are, guys like Undertaker, and Ric Flair. guys who are professional inside AND outside the ring"

so what do you think about that? i really think he's got a point there.. guys like Hogan, HBK, and to some extent Austin as well, they showed some unprofessional shit outside and some inside the ring. a Real ICON would not have to say he is one all the time, or say he's the best. Ric Flair only said he was "the Man" but he also said to be the man, you gotta beat the man, and if you beat him, you were "The Man" so throw in your opinions here

I agree with this. Professionalism is a huge aspect in how you are perceived, and when you are in the public light, perception is everything. Look at a guy like Sting, who was always professional in the ring, and outside of it. Same with John Cena. These guys are not only icons, but great role models for kids. If you are unprofessional people will shit on you, and not take you seriously anymore, I.E....Randy Orton, Triple H, HBK, Hogan, Flair, the list goes on.

In a sport like professional wrestling, there are so few Icons, because they let the rigors of the road drag them down, and they do stupid fucking shit. So everyone sees them as assholes, but the ones that don't, look great, and are the ones to truly deserve the title of an Icon.

I agree as well. To be a true Icon, it's important to be professional in the ring and out of the ring. I think Undertaker is definitely the icon. He takes his role very seriously. It leaves me thinking that he doesn't have a life outside of WWE. And, that's pretty damn good. He comes to every show that Vince asks him to and he gets a mega pop. The guy hardly ever breaks his character. EVER.

a Real ICON would not have to say he is one all the time, or say he's the best.

Well, I guess it's just a part of the persons gimmick. Like Jericho says he's the best in the world at what he does. He's really not. But that's a part of his gimmick. He knows he's not the best in the world. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider him an icon.

Hogan is the icon, icon means you're the face of well... whatever it is you do, it means you're the best... and as far as gathering attention for wrestling and putting butts in the seat and being a worldwide phenomenon, it's Hulk, always will be, that being said, Andre, Rock, Sting right up there with him

Shawn Michaels. Idk if we're actually talking about who deserves to be rightfully called "The Icon" but if we are, then I'm goin' with Shawn. Why? Because not only is he a legend in this sport/game/whatever you wish to call it, but the man is probably the best at what he does. Even at his age, even at the massive injuries he's had over the years, the man STILL could wrestle heaps better than everyone else. Good guy outside the ring, great role model and all that jazz. So therefore, Shawn Michaels is the true 'icon' in my opinion

showed some unprofessional shit outside and some inside the ring. a Real ICON would not have to say he is one all the time, or say he's the best

I Agree with you, but Im not too convinced there. Everyone gloats about themselves every now and then and that is ok. Its when you go on and on and on that people start to dislike you etc. If you don't gloat about yourself...well...to me...you're just being modest. But sure, showing unprofessional "s***" should be considered a big no no.

An Icon, IMO, is the symbol---the person that represents the business that they work in or used to work in (whether it be ECW, WCW, WWE/F, TNA, ROH, etc.), the one who could definately be considered to be the best or at least one of the best, but acts professional as well. When you think of TNA, who is the first person (that is potentially the best there) to come to your mind? For me, it would be AJ Styles, or Sting. If I had to choose one, I would say AJ Styels. Why? because he is one of the best. He is the first person to come to my mind when I think of TNA, and lastly, from what I've heard, he seems to act somewhat professional outside the ring. In the ring, he does act childish sometimes and says he's the best, but that is just a gimmic/role playing/heel work. But this opinion (mine) is debatable...that is just how I view an icon to be and I just used Aj as an example.

if an icon is a guy that doesnt need to brag on himself and doesnt the undertaker would top the list.

sting and kane could also be on the list as ive never heard of either of them being braggarts or selfish but i dont feel their careers equal what taker has accomplished--not a knock but just IMO taker has had a better career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back