The tribute thread

Uncle Phatso

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Yes it's true, many of our favorite singers, rappers, players, and musicians die. So here is what I want to do, if you have a musician who has died of recent post it in here. Or if it is the anniversary of their death pay tribute in here. Remember no bullshit or spam. This is a thread to show praises for the fallen musicians, and to love them for what they were. Not for hate, but to pay tribute. Not to argue about them, they have passed on.

I don't feel the need to tell you to post just metal musicians. This is your thread to come pay tribute to anyone who has died in the past or recently. Currently one of the biggest metal front men ever died on this day one year ago. His name was

Peter Steele

[YOUTUBE]gijwsuHIU8k[/YOUTUBE]​

My cousin Mandy last year was the one to tell me of her passing. My aunts family seems to of showed me a lot of the music that I still love today. Amanda was a huge fan of Type o Neg back in the day. I remember hearing a lot of them when I was being babysat by her, along with my cousins Jeff and Dustin’s love for Pantera and Talica.

I was saddened by the loss to our community but Peter is now in a better place. As said in a comment on one of Type's songs I think Peter would put it this way. "You know the thing with death, it never gets any better". My cousin got to see them in concert when she was a teen, and told me this about Peter. He was quiet at the signing, but showed his love for the fans by staying hours after the show to make sure every kid and concert goer got a signature of his.

So I have this to say to Peter. Rest brother, Some day you will sing to us all again when we join you.

Nice idea.

There are many bands that I like that have had unfortunatley lost a member.

I've decided to pick someone who isn't to obvious and his influence was far greater than his career.

Andrew Wood

tumblr_kyhj8dEBLP1qb2ssvo1_r1_400.jpg

Coming out of Seattle and singer of Mother Love Bone, he only recorded one album with the band (and an EP) before dying of a heroin overdose. (The album Apple was released a few months later in his memory)

He was a great singer and by all accounts a great frontman (said to be a cross between Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant) and it was said had he not died he and Mother Love Bone would have been one of if not the biggest band out of Seattle.

Most interestingly his death changed the music scene in Seattle a lot. His friend and former roommate Chris Cornell would make a tribute band and album (both Called Temple Of The Dog) with Mother Love Bone member's Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard, they'd also bring in Mike McCready and a certain Eddie Vedder. After they finished the album Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready and Eddie Vedder would form a band called Pearl Jam.

Wood's other friend Jerry Cantrell would write a song for his band Alice In Chains called Would? which would be their biggest hit in his memory (the band would also dedicate their first album Facelift in part to his memory)

Also because of his passing a certain band by the name of Nirvana would later become the biggest band in the world.

[YOUTUBE]k7CPIXnaeeQ[/YOUTUBE]​

Ronnie James Dio

July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

[YOUTUBE]xSjlEjpyA9g[/YOUTUBE]​

Known as one of the greatist metal singers of all time, Ronnie James Dio Died allmost a year ago today. If you are reading this on the 16th than it has been a day. Alot of people today think that the more brutal metal is the better it is, But Ronnies music compiled great playing and great singing to create metal that will last for ages.

He has shown that hard work will get you places, Dio started his musical life from playing with the Vegas Kings starting in 1957. His work got him into the 21st century and 2010. But he will be forever known as one of the true metal gods, and wont be forgotten.

alex-chilton-sized.jpg

Alex Chilton.

A songwriter, singer, producer and guitarist, Alex Chilton was a musician whose work would inspire many who followed him on the indie rock scene. He would enjoy early success in the 1960s as the lead singer of the Box Tops, earning a number one single at the age of 16 for the song "The Letter." In the 70s he would pursue a solo career and co-found the power-pop band Big Star. He produced tracks for the punk-rockabilly group the Cramps which would appear on their albums Gravest Hits and Songs the Lord Taught Us. Although his later work would not earn him as much chart success, his music inspired many alternative rock artists such as R.E.M. and The Replacements. Chilton died on March 17, 2010 at age 59 of a heart attack.

[YOUTUBE]HIWY8UyW9bw[/YOUTUBE]

Notice how you can tell the band's disdain for mime-performing. They were hardcore for the 60's.

I didn't keep up with this thread, but on this day in 2004 we lost a man. A man in metal, that I'm sure fans outside of metal might not know. But I know every metal head knows this name.

Dimebag Darrell Abbott

[YOUTUBE]_j-8tn4nmow[/YOUTUBE]​

Born Darrell Lance Abbott, Dime is remembered as one of the best shredders of our time. Maybe not the best of our time, but for sure he influenced his own fare share.

A crazed ex Marine, Nathan Gale shot him on stage. Sending Brother Dime to the afterlife, I'm sure he is having a great time playing with all the legends and watching metal progress.

But that isn't the only tragedy we saw at Alrosa Villa that night. Nathan Gale shot 5 people, and killed 3 more outside of Darrell.

Officer James D. Niggemeyer can be called many things. He was the hero that night, along with the four other officers. Because 35 more rounds of ammo were found on Nathan Gale's person. While 4 people aren't here today because of Nathen Gale, Officer Niggemyer and his partners might of saved other people that night.

So today we salute not only Dimebag, but Mayhem Thompson, Erin Halk and Nathan Bray. R.I.P fellows, hopefully you are in a better place now.

I didn't have enough time to get on yesterday and post this. But we also lost a great member of the music scene many years ago. 31 years and now 1 day ago, This man died in a tragic shooting.

John Lennon
When it all comes down to it, John was before my time. Last year I took some flack for my views on him in the music tournie. I am a fan of the Beatles, but I never really got John, but that isn't why I am here.

John still today, with other musicians like Bob Marley are rememberd for their music. Along their message, Peace. He has more to him than just that and music. But I'll let you take the time out of your day and look that up. So today lets pay tribute to John Lennon.

6fte8klxenr8k8xf.jpg

When i first got into Jeff Buckley, I didn't even know he was dead. I'd heard my sister playing the Grace album through my bedroom wall when we both lived with our parents, then at a few social gatherings at various friends' houses Grace would be played there too. Being naive to what had happened, I asked one of my friends if this was quite a recent album and if a new one was coming out. Luckily they didn't make me feel like a total idiot and let me know what had happened to him, which kinda bummed me out for the rest of the night!

Songs like Lover You Should Have Come Over make me sad that this guy is no longer around to make songs like this anymore as the lyrics are just so personal, poignant and touching the whole way through.

The original Red Hot Chili Pepper guitarist Hillel Slovak (one on the right)

220px-SlovakChiliPeppersUplift87.jpg

He started the Red Hot Chili Peppers with friends Anthony Kiedis, Flea and Jack Irons. He was one of the driving forces of their early sound (the whole funk, rock combination) when they were playing clubs. Ironically he and Irons left to be in their other band What Is This meaning they missed out on the recording of the Chili's debut (self titled) which they had written a bulk of material for. He was replaced by Jack Sherman (Irons by Cliff Martinez). Coming back for the second album (Freaky Styley) he added his trademark funky guitar on it. He was also on the Chili's third album (Uplift Mofo Party Plan) where arguably one of his best shows of musicanship was on the song Behind The Sun (where he played sitar)

Unfortunatley he and Anthony Kiedis got addicted to heroin and and Slovak unfortunatley died from an OD in 1988 aged 26.

While he's not that widely well known, he certainly helped the Chili's achieve a foot hold in the music door (they had steadily been getting more and more popular) and he was an influencial guitarist, influencing 18 year old John Frusciancte (the guy who would become the next Chili's guitarist)

[YOUTUBE]doDBApOv2oM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gsC9KwiknTs[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back