• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which Dead Musician Would you Bring Back?

I would have possibly said Kurt Cobain. He died young, but to me, he was never supposed to grow old. Could you see a 44 year-old Cobain? He was the voice of a generation, of a disgruntled youth. That was his legacy that he left behind. He left his mark on the world and he will be remembered for generations.

So, I would say Elliott Smith. He created some of the most beautiful, acoustic music I have ever heard. I don't know about his popularity in America, but here in Britain very few know about him. It's a shame. So many people won't know of his genius becuase of his death. He had so much more to give, yet his life was cut short tragically.

Honourable mention goes to Otis Redding. He had such a beautiful voice. Yet he died aged 26 in a plane crash. One month before his biggest hit, '(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay' - a timeless piece of music, was released. I can't help but feel that if he hadn't died, he would be a legend on a par with Elvis.

I can't believe no one has said it yet...

Far and away, Layne Staley of Alice in Chains. Had Layne not passed the way he did (OD on speedball), I think Alice in Chains would have quite easily have become one of the most iconic grunge/post-grunge bands in history – much in the same vein as Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters did. AIC is iconic as it is, but musically they didn't make as big of a mark as I think they deserved to have because of the fact the groups legs were cut out from under them so quickly when Layne was found dead. Another album or two would have truly solidified them in the same realm of star power as the Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam's and Chris Cornell/Soundgarden's of the world.

Hey Yo!

Im not sure if Tupac Amaru Shakur is technically a musician, but an artists that without a doubt i would love to take back from the grave. Why you ask? Because this man revolutionised the rap game, he gave it meaning and made every rapper realise and want to step their game. But i will always love Tupac for his lyrics this guy was a talented lyricist that could right a meaningful song in probably seconds, i would love to see him put all these new rappers to shame with his superior talent in the RAP genre.

Well, I definitely would like for Michael Jackson be brought back simply because the man was a great entertainer and musician. Forget all of the crap that happened off the mic, as someone else previously said. The man could flat out entertain and put on a show no one had ever seen. This is It showed the world the perfectionist and artist Jackson was, and it's a shame that the world couldn't witness that concert live.

In that same vein, I would also like to see James Brown brought back. He was "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business," and having watched a couple of his shows on DVD lately, I really wish that I was old enough and fortunate enough to have seen him in concert before he died.

But the person I most would like to have back alive would be Bon Scott. Scott's drinking and drugs cost him to reap the benefits of his excellent talent. The early AC/DC albums with Scott are all favorites of mine from the band. I even enjoyed the Backtracks album which had several great songs from Scott. I don't mean to say this in disrespect to Brian Johnson as he's held his own in the vocals and letting Angus take center stage. But while Jackson and Brown were both allowed to hit some sort of prime and ride it out, Scott's prime was cut short at Highway to Hell. Who knows what could have been if Scott hadn't drunk himself to death that night?

Michael Jackson, along with how great he was, me and my girlfriend had tickets for 'This Is It' at the o2 in London. That would have been awesome to see him. But then in other ways i wouldnt because after the stories of his life at least he is at peace now.

First off, to respond to a few of the choices that have already been made.

Kurt Cobain can stay dead. He turned into a manic depressive drug addict who couldn't handle his own demons and blew his brains out. Never a fan of the man. I respect his impact - sort of - but I wouldn't bring him back.

Freddie Mercury is possibly my favorite musician all time, but I wouldn't bring him back. He was so relevant in his death, sad though it was, because he a major figure who brought attention to AIDS.

I'd bring back Brad Nowell from Sublime. I always thought the guy had a tremendous voice, and that Sublime's music was relevant and terrific. Granted, I don't feel sorry for him - the guy died of a heroin OD, and much like Cobain, I can't respect that at all. But for sheer music, I'd pick Brad from Sublime.

First off, to respond to a few of the choices that have already been made.

Kurt Cobain can stay dead. He turned into a manic depressive drug addict who couldn't handle his own demons and blew his brains out. Never a fan of the man. I respect his impact - sort of - but I wouldn't bring him back.

LULZ IC....for shame. You are a far more intelligent individual than to regularly allow your personal opinions of preformers cloud your judgement to make SILLY statments such as this. Right, Cobain was worthless by that point, tis why he made one of the most prolific, amazing, storied preformances in the history of MTV, music, and pop culture in general, four fucking months before his death. Seriously.

Obviously, my pick would be Johnny Cash, although thats a bit unfair of me...Seeing as how his wife was passed away, and he was in a lot of pain, and is likely far happier were he is now...but to me, he had just embarked on the coolest part of his carreer, making the most awesome music. The American Recordings were all just SO fantastic, and an ode to the ability of Rick Rubin, and to Cash's ability to tell a story. Fuck all those CDs were SO damn good.

So I suppose ill go with the bassist from Slipknot. Pretty much my favorite band, and one who had really turned the corner on their sound, appeal, and direction. Now, im not even sure if the band will continue to exist, with a replacement. Also, clearly you would hope that people would look out for themselves a bit better, and not die by way of copious drug use and the rockstar lifestyle and whatever. Such a waste, a talented mucision.

<cracks knuckles>

Reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy???

NorCal said:
You are a far more intelligent individual than to regularly allow your personal opinions of preformers cloud your judgement to make SILLY statments such as this.

If I could ressurrect one musician, why couldn't my personal feelings about them come into play? I am the one with the power to do it, am I not able to use my own, subjective criteria? After all, the OP didn't state this was a "best dead musician" thread, it was a question of who to bring back.

Right, Cobain was worthless by that point, tis why he made one of the most prolific, amazing, storied preformances in the history of MTV, music, and pop culture in general, four fucking months before his death. Seriously.

I'm not questioning his relevance. He made a damn huge impact. He's credited with brining Seattle's grunge scene mainstream, even though they were hardly first. And he was a heck of a song writer. And I'll do one better - without Cobain, it's possible I wouldn't have gotten Alice in Chains (my fave grunge act by far) or inspired post-grunge acts like Breaking Benjamins.

And yet I maintain - not dead enough.

I never forgave Cobain for snuffing out 80's metal and hair rock. We went from a happy, love- and party-focused, bright colors and big hair culture to a greasy, unwashed, flannel-clad, staring at our shoes on stage culture.

<climbs off soapbox>

Obviously, my pick would be Johnny Cash, although thats a bit unfair of me...Seeing as how his wife was passed away, and he was in a lot of pain, and is likely far happier were he is now...but to me, he had just embarked on the coolest part of his carreer, making the most awesome music.

You're right. That is selfish. Jerk.

Mighty NorCal said:
So I suppose ill go with the bassist from Slipknot.

So you lambaste my anti-Cobain sentiment only to pick up an unremarkable artist from a less remarkable band?

NorCal said:
Pretty much my favorite band, and one who had really turned the corner on their sound, appeal, and direction.

Fuck, I'm in trouble aren't I?

NorCal said:
Now, im not even sure if the band will continue to exist, with a replacement.

Small miracles happen every day.

Also, clearly you would hope that people would look out for themselves a bit better, and not die by way of copious drug use and the rockstar lifestyle and whatever. Such a waste, a talented mucision.

One of the things I always loved about Ronnie James Dio. I was listening to Eddie Trunk interview the Scorpions the other day, and they commented on the reason RJD was such a great musician for so long was because he took great care of himself. Not a big drinker or partier.

NorCal, just go listen to "Real American" and let me educate these folks, ok?

<cracks knuckles>

Reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy???

:icon_neutral:

If I could ressurrect one musician, why couldn't my personal feelings about them come into play? I am the one with the power to do it, am I not able to use my own, subjective criteria? After all, the OP didn't state this was a "best dead musician" thread, it was a question of who to bring back.

This would be awesome if it weren't entirely irrelevant. Read what you wrote just now. It in no way makes your prior statement any less totally wrong. You said he was a shell of a worthless musician by the time he died, and I showed how entirely incorrect you were.

And yet I maintain - not dead enough.

I never forgave Cobain for snuffing out 80's metal and hair rock. We went from a happy, love- and party-focused, bright colors and big hair culture to a greasy, unwashed, flannel-clad, staring at our shoes on stage culture.

<climbs off soapbox>

You're right. That is selfish. Jerk.

:blush:

So you lambaste my anti-Cobain sentiment only to pick up an unremarkable artist from a less remarkable band?

Fuck, I'm in trouble aren't I?

Er, judging by seven grammy nominations, and multi platinum selling albums, yea. Honestly, do you have ANY knowledge of music that is outside of your extremely small, bland taste of "things IC likes" ? Really?

Small miracles happen every day.

Wow, really man? Ill be sure to whip this one out the next time you accuse XFear of being low class.

One of the things I always loved about Ronnie James Dio. I was listening to Eddie Trunk interview the Scorpions the other day, and they commented on the reason RJD was such a great musician for so long was because he took great care of himself. Not a big drinker or partier.

I am legitimately trying to discern if this is a comedy post...You do know that Dio passed away recently right?

NorCal, just go listen to "Real American" and let me continue to make a complete fool of myself, ok?

Sure thing. It pains me to do this to you as it is.

I think IC just doesn't like Cobain's personality and the fact he took drugs (or any musicians that took drugs for that matter) and that's why he wouldn't bring him back.

Some other musicians that haven't been mentioned which i think should are-

Andrew Wood By god this guy could have been huge, he and his band Mother Love Bone were a mix of glam rock with a mix of grunge, they were versatile, Wood was an amazing lyricist and performer and their only album is one of my favourites, unfortunatly Wood died of a heroin overdose before it was released. He's actually not that well known because Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament went on to form Pearl Jam

Shannon Hoon
I've just been getting into Blind Melon and by god this guy had a unique voice and was a good songwriter I would love to have more material to listen to except three albums

You said he was a shell of a worthless musician by the time he died, and I showed how entirely incorrect you were.

I did? I just read over the thread and didn't see where I said that.

And is this the same Kurt Cobain who got out of rehab and was too strung out to hold his prematurely born new baby daughter? The one who almost had his kid taken away from him because of his addiction? The one whose music got progressively more depressed and depressing as he went? The one who threw his talent away?

I realize that I am not being totally fair, as Brad Nowell did much the same thing. And I don't forgive him for that. But I thought Sublime's music was better.

NorCal said:
Er, judging by seven grammy nominations, and multi platinum selling albums, yea. Honestly, do you have ANY knowledge of music that is outside of your extremely small, bland taste of "things IC likes" ? Really?

Holy fuck, a Grammy!?

:rolleyes:

Let me look through the closet in the room you crash in when you stay up here. I think I have a Grammy, now that I think of it.

Wow, really man? Ill be sure to whip this one out the next time you accuse XFear of being low class.

Again, I'm dumbfounded. I've called XFear low-class? Doesn't sound at all like something I'd say sober

I am legitimately trying to discern if this is a comedy post...You do know that Dio passed away recently right?

Yes, I do know he died. At age sixty-fucking seven! And from stomach cancer, which he battled for a while. And while planning another tour! Not at age 27 of suicide.

alex-awesome said:
I think IC just doesn't like Cobain's personality and the fact he took drugs (or any musicians that took drugs for that matter) and that's why he wouldn't bring him back.

the_moon_vs_an_elephant_jpg-small.jpg

Well duh.

And it's not the drugs. That plays a role. Believe me I feel hypocritical for wanting to bring back a guy who OD'ed on heroin in Nowell. And Lane Staley might be choice #2. I just didn't like Cobain OR Nirvana. I liked Dave Grohl.

Ok well I thought of three and I couldn't decide between 'em so here goes.

1. Kurt Cobain - He made amazing music and died far too young, if he had lived on who knows how successful Nirvana would have been.

2. Hillel Slovak - He was an amazing guitar player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and he died very young as well. He had a very unique sound that will never be replicated.

3. Ol' Dirty Bastard - He had a sound that NOBODY else will ever be able to be like, he was the driving force in many of Wu-Tang's albums and will always be a respected member of the rap community.

John'BONZO'Bonham

The HAMMER OF THE GODS this man was the heart and soul of the greatest band that ever graced a musical stage.The greatest Rock`n`Roll drummer of all time was John Bonham who did things that nobody had ever even thought possible before with the drum kit. And also the greatest sound out of his drums - they sounded enormous, and just one bass drum. So fast on it that he did more with one bass drum than most people could do with three, if they could manage them. And he had technique to burn and fantastic power and tremendous feel for rock`n`roll.He had so many techniques besides just a heavy metel drummer. He could drum with a slow R&B tempo or smooth jazz or he could blow your mind away such as on Achilles Last Stand. Who knows if he was still alive how music would've changed.:worship:

johnbonham50.jpg

Cliff Burton Metallicas original bassist for those who dont know, he died when their tour bus crashed anyway metallica are one of my all time favourite bands and they were easily at their best when he was around.

John Bonham Amazing Drummer enough said

Kiethe Moon See John Bonham

Kurt Cobain Just an amazing musician all round I mean he practically invented Grunge

2Pac- my favourite rapper ever. The guy was a genious- simply as. Such a great lyricist and had some of the greatest beats ever on his tracks. If he was still with us, rap could still be at the level it was back in the mid 90's

Layne Staley- I Love Alice In Chains, and I miss Layne. While not traditionally a great singer, his voice was perfect for Alice's music, and his death broke up what was a fantastic double act in Staley and Cantrell

Even though it's already been said, John Lennon all the way. A lot of the music he was writing after The Beatles broke up sounded so bitter. Some of the songs were downright spiteful (you could tell he was getting a lot of frustration out, some of it directed at Paul).

What really sucks about the timing of his death (besides the obvious, taken too young) is that his writing style began changing shortly before he died. He stopped sounding so bitter, and started to really sound happy again. I really think we missed out on a lot of great music, and I'll mourn the loss of everyone's choices here.

I'm gonna go against the grain and pick a female. I'm gonna say Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes from TLC, they were the biggest selling female group. She was undoubtedly one the most unpredictable, and colorful personalities in music. Each person in that group made it what it was. You had the smooth singing of T-boz and Chilli, then you add Left Eye's raps in certain songs, and it was music gold. From their early days in "What About Your Friends" to their more modern work in "No Scrubs" no one knew what to expect from her. She was a person that people WANTED to see she would do next. Whether it was burning down Andre Rison's house, to having her spiritual awakening in Costa Rica where she was sadly taken too soon from this world. Her voice lives on in TLC songs to this day, and we are reminded of a carefree and beautiful spirit that can influence the world even after her sad loss. I always thought she would be an interesting one to have around still.

I would bring back Cobain, Hendrix, Biggie, and Tupac.
Cobain was a great musician in an even better band, and Nirvana would probably still be playing today if it weren't for his very early death.

Jimi Hendrix probably wouldn't be playing any music now, but he made amazing music during his life. He was, and in my opinion, still is the best guitarist ever. If you want any evidence of that, listen to his version of All Along the Watchtower.

The Notorious B.I.G, better known as Biggie was a fantastic rapper. While I think he wasn't as good as his fans say, he was a lyrical genius, and if he were alive, he would still be making great music.

Tupac was lyrically untouchable, and wasn't just a rapper, he was a poet. If Pac were still alive, maybe I'd be able to listen to today's rap without cringing.

Tupac would be my first choice. I loved that time in rap and Tupac was mu favorite. There is not one song of his that I do not like. Everything that he put out I loved. He was an amazing rapper, artist and performer. His videos were good and his songs had a lot of truth to them. He was real and he was himself. If Tupac was still around, I'd probably be a bigger fan of rap than I am now.

I'd also bring back Kobain, his tortured soul help create a musical lifestyle. He started and era, and was a pioneer. If he was still around, I have no doubts he would still be going strong. Kobain was a musical genius and like most genius' he had issues and demons he could not overcome. We were robbed of his gift of music.

Tupac would be my first choice. I loved that time in rap and Tupac was mu favorite. There is not one song of his that I do not like. Everything that he put out I loved. He was an amazing rapper, artist and performer. His videos were good and his songs had a lot of truth to them. He was real and he was himself. If Tupac was still around, I'd probably be a bigger fan of rap than I am now.

I'd also bring back Kobain, his tortured soul help create a musical lifestyle. He started and era, and was a pioneer. If he was still around, I have no doubts he would still be going strong. Kobain was a musical genius and like most genius' he had issues and demons he could not overcome. We were robbed of his gift of music.

Sorry but Cobain pulling the trigger was the best thing for Dave Grohl. Grohl was always held back during his Nirvana days. Plus Foo Fighters is a better band IMO.

Sorry but Cobain pulling the trigger was the best thing for Dave Grohl. Grohl was always held back during his Nirvana days. Plus Foo Fighters is a better band IMO.

I agree that Kurt passing allowed Grohl the opportunity to start his own band, but you can't honestly say it was the "best thing" for him? Yes it allowed him to display his own vocal and guitaring talent in his own band, but I am sure he would say the better option would have been for Kurt to stay alive, him to remain the drummer in Nirvana and then perhaps in between albums tour with his own band, Foo Fighters. He had most of the first album written already while he was in Nirvana.

Dave Grohl could easily have created Foo Fighters while remaining in Nirvana, as Corey Taylor has done with Stone Sour and Slipknot, Layne Staley did with Mad Season and Alice In Chains, and what Mark Tremonti is now doing with Alter Bridge and Creed.

I know what you are trying to say but someone dying is never the "best thing" for their friends, whatever career opportunities it provides.

Dimebag Darrell - Truly fun loving, life affirming guitarist from Pantera/Damage Plan who got blown away by a ******** Pantera fan who blamed Dime for the band splitting up, based on the bullshit that Phil Anselmo used to spout in interviews about the band break up.

He had so much talent and was such an awesome guy, and blatantly had so much more amazing music to write.

God bless you Dime, you are still sorely missed.

Oh and if John Lennon were still alive he'd either be 100x worse than Bob Geldof, or he'd have committed suicide after watching the world spiral further into hell.

Kurt Cobain - This guy is a legend, say otherwise, you deserve shooting

Dimebag Darrell - He didn't deserve to go the way he did. He was an amazing Guitarist in an amazing band

Randy Rhoads - Another guy who didn't deserve to die when he did, amazing Guitarist again, Randy & Ozzy made a great pair

Cliff Burton - The guy who, in my eyes, once he died, stopped Metallica being amazing ever again. They're a GREAT band, just that Cliff was up at the top with them.

I'd bring 'em all back.

For me, Cobain. I'm a Grunge freak, and Kurt Cobain is one of my favorite musicians of all time. Nirvana only had 3 studio albums, and I wonder what more they could've done if Cobain's life didn't come to a complete halt.

Either him or Layne Staley from Alice in Chains. He had very little work, but was good at his craft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back