The Stand Up Comedy Thread

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi guys and welcome to the first post of what I hope will be a very successful thread. I am hoping that this thread will be used for all thing “Stand-Up Comedy”. This includes reviews of concerts, people that you would consider to very rising stars and just general thoughts on stand up comedy.

Over the last few years I have felt my sense of humour change very quickly. I guess that this is normal, as you get older, you find different things funny. As part of this change, I took to watching so much stand-up comedy, it was unreal. More Until about 3 years ago, I never, ever watched people like Eddie Murphy or Steve Martin etc because for some reason, I always thought that the older the comedy show, the more dated the material. I guess, to some extent this is true but the strength of stand-up comedy is that if it is done well and with a combination of poise and timing, a joke will always be funny.

Some of the funniest people have started or ended up in stand-up comedy. It is the biggest test that someone will endure in their professional lives. Imagine, if you will, being a supposedly funny person. Being in movies, you would not have to deal with the actual critical reception of a crowd. With stand-up comedy however, you are at the mercy of the crowd. A good comedian will manage to have the crowd on the edge of their seats for the entirety of a concert. My personal favourite is Chris Rock. I think Rock is a very progressive comedian, especially for the Black population of America. I have quite a few favourites. Dane Cook is another personal favourite of mine, along with Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Russell Peters and, of course, the legendary, Richard Pryor.

Of course, everyone has their own favourites and everyone’s sense of humour is completely different. Recently, their has been an influx of good comedians that really match my style of comedy well. Frankie Boyle is one of my personal favourites tight now; his “close to the knuckles” style of comedy is absolutely amazing. Similarly, Michael McIntyre is another good comedian. Jimmy Carr is another great example of dead-pan comedy. All of which are worth a look.

Frankie Boyle:

[youtube]VKwDSz6jJ-Q[/youtube]

Michael McIntyre:

[youtube]Es2l4yUBY6M[/youtube]
[youtube]CLPyPJTwEC4[/youtube]
[youtube]_YsJ186p17U[/youtube]

Jimmy Carr:

[youtube]9ajB7luvjzg[/youtube]

Chris Rock – Never Scared.
never-scared.jpg

Venue: Constitution Hall, Washington DC, USA.
Language: English
Runtime: 80 minutes/ 91 minutes (DVD)
Tagline: “Stand up has never been this dangerous”
Areas Covered: Drugs, Relationships, Strippers, Rap, Affirmative Action

Chris Rock, as you may know, is one of the best stand up comedians in the world. Love him or hate him, the man is exceptionally talented and is blessed with the talents of comedic timing and skill. He has had 5 HBO specials, all of which have been some of my personal favourites. Rock, in this show is outstanding once more. In “Never Scared”, Rock again tackles some of the most divisive topics in the United States. Those include: relationships, married life, rap music, wealth, affirmative action and drugs. Rock has never been one to sugar the pill and “Never Scared” is probably the finest one of his works. All of the topics are covered in great detail by Rock, who manages to keep his routine funny whilst still driving the point that he is trying to make home, with great aplomb.

After leaving SNL in 1993, Rock began to concentrate on his stand up comedy and has since found great success with it. His first special, “Bring The Pain”, basically gave Rock the impotence to go on from there and make more controversial routines, which the main objectives always being achieved. That is, inspire discussion and make people laugh. Rock has been phenomenally successful since “Bring The Pain”, Time magazine even saying that Rock was “the funniest man in America”. This comment came after the “Never Scared” and “Bigger and Blacker” specials. Both of which being the most successful. Both have garnered a huge amount of critical acclaim since they were recorded. “Never Scared” won the Grammy Best Spoken Comedy Album. “Bigger and Blacker” even won Rock Funniest Male Performer in a TV Special award at the American Comedy Awards in 2000.

“Never Scared” is probably my favourite stand-up comedy routine of all time. Rock really impresses me every time I see it but I do have one complaint. That complaint is that, sometimes I do feel that Rock plays off the hostilities that sometimes exist between Black people and White people in the United States. However, this is also Chris Rock’s biggest strength. Using his skills as stand-up comedian, Rock manages to make these issues funny. Many comedians would not even go near a topic so divisive. Rock though, as he has always done goes straight for the jugular. At some points in the routine, I was squirming with laughter. In particular, Rock’s summary of rap music is absolutely hilarious. If you have not seen it, here it is.

[youtube]z9A2I-X7b-w[/youtube]

As per usual, Rock is actually making some very diligent and clever points in this clip. As is previously stated, Rock manages to make these points without making the routine sound like a lecture. Take for example Rock’s views on dead rappers. Some of the things you hear are absolutely absurd but at the same time, Rock is telling us his thoughts on the issue and making us laugh at very real topic. It’s true. No one has ever been arrested for some of these killings and it would seem that there is at least some derision in the United States Government aimed towards the rap industry. People may say that it is because of the lack of care for African Americans in the past. Rock, however, makes a topic like this, which can be very hateful, something to laugh at.

Notable quotes

“I love all the rap today but it’s hard to defend this shit. It’s hard to defend ‘I got ho’s in different area codes’. On an intellectual level, It’s hard to defend ‘move, bitch, get out the way!’… I’m tired of defending it”.

“Every year, Tupac comes back from the dead, records a new album with clues in it. Every record had a clue in it, if you listen real hard, ‘It was the rigger in the red who shot me dead’. Right there! Track 4. Pac is trying to tell us something.”

“You mean to tell me that they can find Saddam Hussein in a fucking hole but you can’t tell me who shot Tupac!? They found Saddam Hussein in fucking Iraq. Tupac got shot in Vegas! … The motherfucker got shot on The Strip, in front of Circus, Circus.”

Rock’s summary of Affirmative Action is also a prime example of how he can take such a divisive subject and make it hilarious. Some say that it is the job of a comedian, to say all of the things that needed to be said without feeling intimidated. Rock does this often but none more so than the issue of Black people in America, the example of Affirmative Action being the best one to illustrate my point. This is the video of said routine:

[youtube]fGuXm9tug5s[/youtube]

This is one of the best parts of the show and some of the most memorable moments of the show happened during this part of the routine.

Notable Quotes

“When you see footage of the 60’s and you see black people getting sprayed down and hosed down and dogs getting set on us… That’s just white people being nice. Nicer than they was in the 50’s, 30’s and 40’s. There’s black people who died in the 50’s, 40’s and 30’s, looking down from heaven on the 60’s saying damn then ****** got it good.”

“Black people dominate every physical sport in the United States of America, Okay. We’re only 10% of the population but we’re 90% of the final four… Basketball, baseball, football, boxing, track, even golf and tennis. As soon as they make a heated hockey rink, W e gonna take that shit too. Wait until you see LeBron on some skates… He ain’t even gonna have a stick, He’s gonna smack the puck with his dick. Pow!”

Overall, this is the finest piece of comedy I have seen from Chris Rock. After this routine, he had two more specials thus far and counting. All of the specials are great in their own way but if you are looking for the pinnacle of Chris Rock’s stand up talents, then this show is it. Don’t get me wrong, the other ones are great but Rock is on top of his game in Never Scared. There is so much that I have missed because firstly, I don’t want to spoil it all for you. And secondly, it is quite a vast show and I don’t wanna type all of that out. Of course if you want, you can youtube some of the other material from the show. It is definitely worth a look if you have not seen it. A great show from a great performer.

Rating – 5/5

I, Too am a massive fan of stand up comedy and have seen my tastes morph and change over the years. as a young teen I was a fan of Roy "Chubby" Brown, Mike Reid and other shock humour stand ups but as I grew up I found myself liking safer types of stand up.

Stand up has come to the forefront of entertainment and is definatly going through a golder age with panel shows like "Mock the week" bringing lesser known comics in to the spotlight and giving them the same stage as house hold names.

I'm currently finding a lot of stand up a bit too "safe" at the moment with most comics on TV using politics as their only material.

here are my current fave. stand ups

Russell Brand
I love his delivery, his word use and his general presense on stage - I think he is the most unique comic around at the moment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999OFGq7WwI[/youtube]

Rob Brydon
I only heard of him through Gavni and Stacy (he is much much better then Corden and Horne when it comes to stand up) and I have to say he brings all of the sheer brilliantness of bryn (from G+S) out in his stand up stuff

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42Ggl5bM_0[/youtube]

I'll add more to this post later as i'm at work and should be working

Bozz

I, Too am a massive fan of stand up comedy and have seen my tastes morph and change over the years. as a young teen I was a fan of Roy "Chubby" Brown, Mike Reid and other shock humour stand ups but as I grew up I found myself liking safer types of stand up.

Stand up has come to the forefront of entertainment and is definatly going through a golder age with panel shows like "Mock the week" bringing lesser known comics in to the spotlight and giving them the same stage as house hold names.

I'm currently finding a lot of stand up a bit too "safe" at the moment with most comics on TV using politics as their only material.

here are my current fave. stand ups

Russell Brand
I love his delivery, his word use and his general presense on stage - I think he is the most unique comic around at the moment

[youtube]999OFGq7WwI[/youtube]

Rob Brydon
I only heard of him through Gavni and Stacy (he is much much better then Corden and Horne when it comes to stand up) and I have to say he brings all of the sheer brilliantness of bryn (from G+S) out in his stand up stuff

[youtube]r42Ggl5bM_0[/youtube]

I'll add more to this post later as i'm at work and should be working

Bozz

There you go man, I embedded them for you.

Nevertheless, I am a huge fan of Russell Brand. I think he is a comedian who is very like Dane Cook. He uses observational comedy and has quite a high energy type of delivery. His undoubted finest moment is in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". That movie was freaking hilarious and Brand was just supreme in it. I think he works well as "that guy" and I think that more importantly, he would be fun to hang around with. He will have a good future ahead of him in Hollywood, I would assume. Also, his Ponderland show is freaking awesome. Good choice.

I can't say the same about Rob Brydon. I saw him on QI the other day and some of his stuff was quite good. I dunno what it is about him that doesn't make me laugh but I know that I don't like the way he delivers some of his material.

Next up in the thread for me btw, will be Dane Cook - Vicious Circle. Up soon.

I dont watch a terrific amount of stand up comedy, I generally prefer panel shows and the like, that being said, you can tell the difference of some comediens on stage and in those shows. Russel Howard for example is moderately funny on Mock The Week and a shite stand up comedian. Then you've got Michael McIntyre who's great on panels and fucking hilarious at stand up.

I dont have a comedy type that I prefer really, Frankie Boyle will have me laughing at the most discusting innapropriate comments, then Michael McIntyre who is one of the safest comedians I've seen will have me in stitches.

I cant watch too much stand up comedy, I dont have a short attention span but I do like a little bit of change, when you've got one comedian for hours it gets a little bit tiresome, that's why I like programs like Live At The Apollo, you get a change up of people.

For those that say Dane Cook, I agree he is funny, but he is vastly overrated. He is a physical comedian, but his physical comedy leaves more to be desired when I see his act on tv. I was actually watching Vicious Circle the other night, and I maybe had a good laugh like once or twice. I chuckled a bit more and didn't laugh for most of it. Isolated Incident was funnier IMO, but probably because it was newer and I hadn't seen it before. Dane Cook just isn't as funny as a lot of people say he is, but I am not saying he isn't funny, I'm just saying his act is tired for me.

Now I love all sorts of comedy. Robin Williams back in the 80s was made me cry I would laugh so hard. One time I was walking through the quad at my school, he was talking about changing his baby's diaper, and his thoughts and what not, I laughed my balls off. I'm still pissed I can't see his show in October.

George Carlin is classic, and always a funny listen or watch. What is there to truly say about him other than he was a funny fucking guy. I loved all of his comedies, and find it shitty that I couldn't see him in person. His 7 words you shouldn't use transformed into like 50+ that you shouldn't use. RIP George, you were one hell of a comedian.

Sam Kinison is one guy I don't think too many people remember. He shouted before it was truly cool to do. He was so into his act you couldn't help but love the guy, and he was one comedian truly taken before he should have. Damn drugs and alcohol killing too many people too young.

Richard Pryor is a legend, but not one for my taste, and I don't know why. But he is definitely funny as hell, as was Eddie Murphy back in the 80s before he started all of the Disney stuff.

All time favorite is Christopher Titus. His three comedy performances, Norman Rockwell is Bleeding, 5th Annual End of the World Tour, and Love is Evol are all funny as hell, (Love is Evol not as much as the others but still funny). Norman Rockwell is Bleeding got people who didn't watch his show Titus into his show, and it was the first comedy show I got into and watched. 5th Annual End of the World Tour backed up NRiB in hilarity and for me went further.

A close second is Jim Gaffigan. He is a dry humor comedian, so it may turn off some people. I don't know what else to say about the pale mofo, other than to just check out Beyond the Pale and see what he brings to the table.

Honorable mentions
Brian Regan
Joe Rogan
John Heffron
Bob Saget is a dirty motherfucker, enough said
Plus more but I'm too tired to think and I have 3 more hours to go at work.

First off all I don't find Frankie Boyle that funny. Each week on Mock the Week his jokes are too similar for my liking and I've also heard in stand up he isn't that good. One story I heard washe stormed off a stage after a heckler shouted out "If I wanted to hear jokes from Mock the Week I'd have stayed at home and watched it". That is the problem with these quiz show panellists, they need new material outside of the show.

Second of all Russel Brand? Oh no. My girlfriend loves him and has his dvd's and whenever we watch I want to rip my ears out. His material is shit and is a little too immature for my liking. In films I've found him funny as he can deliver a line, just his own jokes are cringeworthy at times.

Now, you have covered Jimmy Carr and Chris Rock well, they are unbelievable stand up talents. Jimmy Carr is the best anywhere. His quick wit is unrivalled and he plays half of his gigs off the audience. I'd love to heckle him at a gig just to see where he would draw the line with his response of trashing me; whether he would just shit on my face or go as far as to make me suicidal.

My other two favourites are a guy I have seen live and one I am going to see; Lee Evans and Michael McIntyre. I realise I might be a hypocrite for saying I don't like Brand for him being immature yet I do like Evans but he has physical comedy down to a tee. His jokes themselves aren't the best but the way he presents them are quality. His talents don't stop there as he ends each performance with a musical routine and his "Suicide song" is one of the funniest songs I have ever heard.

As for McIntyre he is pretty new in the mainstream eye but he is sky rocketing to the top. His latest tour is selling out as quickly as Lee Evans' record breaking tour did. The way he speaks and presents jokes are second to none, he forces you to laugh. Hopefully he goes the way of Jimmy Carr and stays in the limelight for many years and not the way of Peter Kay who disappeared from the comedy circuit pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back