Official Carlin Memorial Comedy Thread

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
Comedian George Carlin dies aged 71
IANS | Tuesday, 24 June , 2008, 17:33

Irreverent comedian George Carlin, whose profanity-laced skewering of US political and social conventions made him a counter-culture hero, has died of heart failure at the age of 71.

Carlin died on Sunday evening at the Saint John's Health Centre in Santa Monica, California, just hours after complaining of chest pains, publicist Jeff Abraham said. Carlin had a history of heart problems and underwent rehab in 2004 for addictions to alcohol and prescription painkillers.

He died just days after it was announced he had been awarded the prestigious Mark Twain Prize for "American Humour" by the Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts in Washington. The award would have been presented this November.

"In his lengthy career as a comedian, writer and actor, George Carlin has not only made us laugh, but he makes us think," said Stephen A Schwarzman, the Kennedy Centre chairman. "His influence on the next generation of comics has been far-reaching."

"I've always been sort of anti-authoritarian and I really don't like arbitrary rules and regulations that are essentially designed to get people in the habit of conforming," Carlin said in a National Public Radio interview in 2004.

Born in New York in 1937, Carlin started out as a radio DJ and stand-up comedian and went on to make 23 comedy albums, 14 television specials, and win four Grammy Awards. He was famously against religion and politicians.

"I'm completely in favour of the separation of church and state," he once said. "My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."

But his most lasting impact dates from 1972 and his bawdy routine: The Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television.

When he uttered all the words at a stand-up show in Milwaukee he was arrested and charged with disturbing the peace, but was later exonerated when a judge ruled he was protected by the Constitution's guarantee of freedom of speech.

However, when a New York Radio station played the routine the Supreme Court ruled in 1978 that the government had the right to censor radio stations.

Last year Carlin was voted the second-best comedian of all time behind Richard Pryor in a Comedy Central cable television station poll of network executive and industry veterans.

Carlin is survived by his second wife Sally Wade, daughter Kelly Carlin McCall and brother Patrick. His first wife, Brenda, died of cancer in 1997, and he himself had long ruminated on the end of life.

"Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time," he said.

A fierce critic of modern civilisation, Carlin told Playboy in 2005 that his vision of the afterlife included a "heavenly CNN".

"The world is a big theatre-in-the round as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love to watch it spin itself into oblivion," he told the magazine. "Tune in and watch the human adventure. ... That's what I want heaven to be."

A little surprised that a thread hasn't been created yet, but that aside, this sucks, Carlin was one of my favorite comedians, the guy was fucking gold, and anyone who doesn't know him needs to got to Youtube right now and watch some of his stuff, well at least he lived a long successful life

I was shocked when I found out about this. I've seen a couple of his stand up shows and I can say that he was a very funny guy. He wasn't one of my favorites but he damn sure was funny. I've read most of his books that he's written with Napalm and Silly Putty being downright hilarious. In a world thats full of bad comedians George Carlin rose from that and became an icon.

Rest In Peace George.

I've only seen one of his bits, but to me he is a great stand up guy. He looked so innocent, but he was one of the dirtiest men I'd ever heard. As a fan of stand up, he impressed me. Based on what I've seen, his influence is very visable in today's comedy. On a side note, he was also Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station, which I later came to find out was one of the most ironic casting choices of all time. While I didn't know much about him save for one stand up show, he seemed like he was a great comedian and I'm sorry he died.

With the recent passing of George Carlin, it seems only right that we dedicate a thread not just to the man, but to the art. Stand-up comedy, in all of it's forms. Whether the social commentary of Carlin or Hedberg, the prop comedy of Gallagher or (gasp!) Carrottop, or the classic work of Dangerfield or Pryor. This thread is where we can post stand-up acts, music spoofs, skits, etc.

[youtube]BTyzTJTNhNk[/youtube]

We start with the skit that put Carlin on the map - the 7 Words you Cannot Say on Television.

George Carlin is my god, I have every comedy cd of his i could get my hands on threw downloading and buying, burned off all his hbo specials. own all the books. Hell i even watched Thomas the tank engine when i was younger. but that was before i knew of his comedy. When you look back on that now i just strikes me as so ******edly funny to know his comedy and seeing him do other things, but its just more ways he proved his range in comedy and in life.

I have every track i could get a hold of his on my ipod since i got it like 2 years ago, and i still laugh my ass off every time they come on, while mostly all other comedians get removed after about a month being on there as it gets boring and i no longer find it funny enough to keep hearing.

George also as i was younger even made me want to try to be a stand up comedian, but it was a little secret dream of mine i never actually had the nerve to follow threw on, didn't want to fail, didn't want to be some new generation hack that you see out there now (ie Dane Cook) that couldn't even hold a candle to George. he truley was a comedy god, and the comedy world will never quite be as funny again with the passing of such a legend,

So to you George, i hope your up there with the Sun or Joe Peschi having alot of fun, and keep cracking those jokes, cause damn it i wan to see you do your routine live at least once, as not being able to make your show when you were here has always been one of my biggest regrets

RIP George Carlin, even for 71 a life still taken way to early :(

I was very bummed out when I heard George had passed. I always thought he was hilarious. The seven words you can never say on television was the first thing I ever heard from him, and is still hilarious to this day. His work on HBO was great, and even his movie roles were worth watching. It's too bad he passed. R.I.P. George. You will be missed.

I wasn't a huge fan of his stand-up. All I really liked from him in that area was one thing I saw on youtube where he compared football and baseball (which is right here: http://www.youtube.com/v/YphEUa5LPjM&hl). It's fucking genius.

But yeah, other than that, not a fan of his stand-up stuff. However, I am a huge Kevin Smith fan and of coarse... Carlin has been in a couple of Kevin's movies. He was good in Dogma as a weird priest, had a great small role in Jay and Bob Strike Back that nearly stole the show, and he played Affleck's loveable dad in Jersey Girl. Those roles are what I'll remember him for most likely.

RIP.

The most intelligent comedian ever. HBO's been showing all his shows, and I've been laughing my ass off.

George dared to be different and controversial. He was actually arrested for the 7 words you can't say on TV, even though there is supposed to be some kind of bullshit called free speech in this country. In case you forgot, the words are:

Sh*T
PISS
F*CK
C**T
C**KS**KER
MOTHERF**KER
T*TS

George's comedy was woven like a tapestry, and you have to be pretty bright to get some of his stuff. His views on religion and, especially, politics were smart and made plenty of sense. He used words the way most people used guns, burying those who opposed him.

There will never be another like him.

And, for the people in the New York Daily News newspaper who suggested George won't get into heaven because of his bad language, BITE ME. After all, there's no room in Hell anymore with all the Priests down there.

RIP, George. God must be laughing like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back