The Song that got you into...Sum 41

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
[youtube]CMX2lPum_pg&[/youtube]​

Unlike all the other songs I've posted in this thread series it was a movie that got me ito this band, American Pie 2 to be precise. I was watching the movie and the scene came up where the 5 main characters were dring to the summer house they rented on the beach and this song was playing in the background. I had no idea what it was or who was singing but lucky for me one of the special features on the DVD was a list of the songs and the ability to go right to the scene it playing in. So after I figured i got myself there first 2 Albums (All Killer, No Filler & Does this look infected?). I kind of stopped listeningto thwem after i bought them but every once i a while I'll pop in one of them and lesten to it.

Happy holidays. Milenko. As your gift from me, you asked for me to post in one of these threads and here I am. I chose this one because I like Sum 41 and would have been as useful as a sack of shit in the Ozzy one.

That being said, it has to be In Too Deep.

At ther time when Sum 41 were just coming to the forefront of pop0rock music, I was a huge fan of the American Pie series. Needless to say, they utilized a lot of this kind of music. I recall hearing this one in one of the movies and it really resonating with me. The lyrics may be repetitive but get the point across so well.

As with all good bands that circulate around this genre, their knowldege of so-called teenage angst really drew me in and I was just a teenager myself when this cam eout. For that reason, it became the song that got me into Sum 41. However, I wouldn't say that they are the one-trick-ponies that everyone points them out to be. Sure, they never did an awful lot of variety with their music but I am always a person who subscribes to the idea that you needn't fix something that has never been broken. This kind of music is what made Sum 41 a world renowned band and they would have been fools to try and change out of the genre.

In Too Deep is also my favourite song by Sum 41. For me, it is just one of those party songs that everyone will know and love when it comes on in the club. It is a tremendous song from start to finish and really started a love for Sum 41 that still very much exists today.

It was Fat Lip for me too, Milenko.

I remember loving it from the 1st time the video was played on TV, and thought they were cool, fun and exactly what I had been looking for. The video was great, it made me laugh and the guys in Sum 41 looked and dressed just like me and my friends. Plus they added the awesome "Pain For Pleasure" on at the end of the song, which was even better than Fat Lip.

I remember wanting to buy the single, but I was going on holiday with my family and I thought it would be out when we got back. I can remember getting off the plane and being desperate to go to a music shop to pick it up....and then finding out it wasnt released for another week. I was so fucking annoyed at that haha, so I ended up getting the album a couple of weeks later. I am not really into Sum 41 any more, but there are still about 4 tracks from "All Killer No Filler" that I have on my ipod...Fat Lip, Pain For Pleasure, In To Deep and Rhythms.

Nice pick of a band though, its nice to remember how you found all the music you like and it brings back memories.

It was Still Waiting for me.

Here was a band that seemed like a bunch of assclowns with an endless amount of teenage angst. Fair enough, I was in my early 20's at the time. But I felt they showed depth in their songwriting ability and a sense of social consicience, something many of the bands within the genre lacked. The video for the song even echoed that sentiment: Their producer thought it was completely about "skateboarding and beaing dumped."

Had the political route been gone before? Sure. But they made a point of noting that the song was about standing up for what they believed in, and pushing for change. Not bad for a "stoner" band. Doesn't hurt that it was a kickass song that I bought "Does This Look Infected?" for. Great choice for a band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-mSLxih-c

In to deep i remeber hearing it on t.v on like video hits and liking it but about 4 - 3 years ago i heard it on youtube after i was listening to blink 182 and since i herd it on youtube iv liked most of their songs on all there albums great band (Not as good as Blink but still pretty good)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back