The Slyfox Breakdown - WCW Region

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
1st Round Upsets

#57 Pat Patterson over #8 Davey Boy Smith
#50 Van Hammer over #15 Jerry Lawler
#38 Marty Jannetty over # 27 Junkyard Dog
#44 Mike Awesome over #21 Steve Corino

WCW Bracket Winner: #2 Undertaker – He has the broadest appeal which should garner him the most votes.

Best Cinderella possibility (#20 seed or lower) - #44 Mike Awesome or #61 Brian Danielson – I listed two here, because one depends on the other. If Brian Danielson can get enough “smark” votes to get by John Cena, I don’t see him losing for a while, possibly going to the regional Elite Eight with a match against Chris Benoit. If Danielson can’t get over Cena, then it will be Mike Awesome doing the damage in the tournament, boosted by the backing of the old ECW fans.

First Top Ten seed to be out - #8 Davey Boy Smith – John Cena is in real danger, but I don’t see Davey Boy Smith moving on over Pat Patterson at all. John Cena MIGHT go out, but I believe Smith WILL go out.

1st Round Match to Watch: #10 Yokozuna vs. #55 Earthquake – Two goliaths going at it, in a match that would have to see the ring re-enforced. Watching these two mammoths go at it will be a sight to see.

1st Round Match to avoid: #10 vs. #55 Earthquake – The very same aspect that makes this match interesting to watch, will also make it boring once it gets started.

The Breakdown:

This region will have some VERY interesting matchups, with some top seeds meeting very difficult challenges in the first round. Even the top seed Hulk Hogan will face a tough challenger from Pat O’Connor, with the old school traditional wrestling fans traditionally giving Hogan a hard time. The region’s second seed will face a tough test with The Great Khali, Cena will have a tough first round test with Danielson, and I don’t see Davey Boy Smith getting past Pat Patterson. Aside from that, there will be some interesting matchups, with super heavyweights clashing, several instances of mainstream wrestlers vs. indy wrestlers, and several older wrestlers colliding. In the end, Undertaker’s broad base of appeal from older wrestling fans, the IWC, and mainstream fans should give him the win in this region.

I disagree with you over Awesome going over Corino sly. Corino is the superior worker, he may not have the same high profile that Awesome has with his work in WCW, but he is one of the few that has never worked for WWE or WCW in a major role. He has had great matches all over the show. From Europe and Asia through to Puerto Rico. Awesome has really only had good matches against Tanaka.

I disagree with you over Awesome going over Corino sly. Corino is the superior worker, he may not have the same high profile that Awesome has with his work in WCW, but he is one of the few that has never worked for WWE or WCW in a major role. He has had great matches all over the show. From Europe and Asia through to Puerto Rico. Awesome has really only had good matches against Tanaka.
I'm not necessarily saying he "should", I'm saying he "will". There are many old school ECW fans around here, many more than indy fans, and even those indy fans are just as likely to go with Awesome as they are Corino. Obviously I may be wrong, but I think Awesome will take it down.

I'm an old school ECW fan, and for that reason, I'll be supporting Corino. I think Awesome will ultimately get the win, but Corino should.

As far as Patterson over Bulldog...I'm not sure. Patterson was a great wrestler, but with Bulldog being more recent, and possibly having more support, it'll be close. I'm definitely going to watch some more material on both of them before making my vote, but it's too close to immediately call an upset.

EDIT:

And, seriously? Van Hammer over Lawler? :disappointed:

Well you are sort of forgetting that Corino held the ECW World Heavyweight Title. As well as having over 50 different titles to his name. The Ring favours Corino, and his prime is up for debate whereas Awesome has a defined prime that he worked in. There is also the rule of if you don't know who one of the wrestlers is, either don't vote or learn about them to make an informed decision.

Well you are sort of forgetting that Corino held the ECW World Heavyweight Title.
Didn't forget it at all. But when you talk to the "old school" ECW fans (meaning the ones who watched the Rise and Fall DVD), I guarantee you that 85% of them will take Awesome over Corino.

There is also the rule of if you don't know who one of the wrestlers is, either don't vote or learn about them to make an informed decision.
Yes, good luck with that.

Anyone who votes for Marty Jannetty to beat JYD needs to have their sanity questioned. Jannetty would have gotten his ass handed to him if he ever took on JYD in the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back