The Savior of TNA - Paul Heyman?

[cL]

That's Right, I Said It!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMy726EVpqk&feature=related

I like many of you, have been watching TNA hoping and praying that things would get better. Hoping and praying that things would change. Sending Dixie Carter messages through Twitter, Facebook or any other medium I could think of, to get her attention. I am not a writer, nor am I a booker so I can not assume that I'd be the guy to hire, but I know that the guys they've hired aren't doing the job. They are doing everything they know to do, and things are getting progressively worse.
Hiring Bischoff & Russo is the single worst thing that could have ever happened to TNA. Having Hogan run the ship, is the second. They are underusing able talent and over using the talent drained. Old story lines that may have worked once, and even older story lines that didn't work the first time. We don't want another WCW, but we are in effect getting that exact thing.
One of the things that I mentioned in one of my rants to Dixie Carter was to fire Russo and Bischoff and hire someone who has a forward mentality about the business as a whole. Hire someone who was effective in bringing in talent who grew his products fan base. Someone who was able to create new and exciting storylines for new and exciting young stars. A guy who actually looks at other facets of entertainment, things that are building and takes from that venue what WORKS and incorporates that into his brand so that his brand gains more success.
Who would that be?
Paul Heyman.

Paul Heyman, had he had the money with ECW, could have been that third promotion during the monday night wars and maybe came out on top.
Don't believe me? Money Matters.
If he would have had the pockets that WWE and WCW had, then he could have snagged some of the talent from WWE and WCW and been a major player especially in the Attitude era and the age of the NWO...Imagine some of the major guys in either of the two getting big money to move to ECW with their already stacked roster! It would have been amazing! Now cut to present day. Can you imagine, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Beer Money, AJ Styles, the Pope, Ken Anderson, Matt Morgan, the ENTIRE X division and the smokin hot Knockout division under the direction of Paul Heyman???? It would be absolutely revolutionary.
I believe Paul Heyman would:
1. FIRE Bischoff and Russo. These guys are tanking TNA fast. Everything that is going wrong has them at the nucleus. It is on them Totally.

2. Use Hogan to get TNA into places that they wouldn't have been able to get into without Hogans name and contacts and keep him off of television. Or let him go completely.

3. Use Ric Flair to help cultivate the wrestlers in promos and overall swagger. IF he kept Flair, then he would be in the back showing these guys how to be what he WAS. and/or he'd be management for guys who are hot like he was with Fortune. But not monopolize TV time.

4. Completely revitalize the X-Division. These guys are getting buried right now, and lets face it, without the X division there wouldn't have really been a TNA to start with. They ARE TNA. Paul Heyman knew what was buttering his bread with ECW and he CONSTANTLY put that on display.

5. COMPLETE storylines. I believe Paul Heyman would be able to get a writing staff of people who know basic English composition as it relates to a start, middle and ending. Which is what TNA is SEVERELY lacking right now. The story lines start and stop drastically. People turn heel/face on a whim...the story lines in the midst of them don't make sense...etc...etc..etc.

These are just a few things that I think Paul Heyman would effectively be able to do in TNA. I think under his leadership, within 3-4 years, they would be a viable company giving the WWE legitimate competition. Why 3-4 years? Because Rome wasn't built in a day. The biggest problem that TNA has, is the fact that when Hogan, Bischoff and Russo came in they made a play to try and take WWE on out the gate. They decided to try to shock fans into watching. They didn't have a three or four year plan, rather they said, "we're gonna take OVER!" And that doesn't work against the Giant that is the WWE.
And it doesn't work with us.
I sincerely believe that Paul Heyman would come into TNA with a plan that would, over time, allow for TNA to grow into a monster of a company. With Dixie Carters money, (and CLOSED MOUTH) and Paul Heyman's vision, we could see TNA turn into one of the biggest companies in the world.

But thats, MY opinion.

What do YOU think?

If I'm remembering correctly, there were serious negotiations between TNA and Paul Heyman, only the company weren't willing to meet his demands.

To be fair to Dixie, didn't he want a large stake of the company and to completely overhaul the roster? Something so drastic, it's no wonder someone might balk at the idea.

She just wanted him as an employee, not as a co-owner who'd fire everyone.

The only overhaul that I heard of was him wanting to let go of anyone over 40. Which I totally agree with. I honestly think that any idea he came to them with would be better than whats going on right now...i mean seriously, I now know EXACTLY whats gonna play out on TNA for the next TWO WEEKS and it is going to get worse. I mean really. Its gonna get worse. Something has to happen and I believe Paul Heyman is the key to revitalizing the product.

ECW was good and all that but let's not forget that the company did go under. He couldn't save his own company. How do you expect him to save another?

ECW was good and all that but let's not forget that the company did go under. He couldn't save his own company. How do you expect him to save another?

That was all about not having money and losing their network to the WWE! With TNA he won't have those problems! He can just focus on building the T.V. and structuring the company in his vision!

The next thing you know under Paul Heyman, TNA would become the new ECW and people that love TNA as it is right now would probably not approve of the change of direction and not watch the product. What happens next? Well TNA looses viewers, thus loose ratings, thus Spike cancels the show and TNA is in worse shape than if they stay like it is now.

[cL];2905528 said:
The only overhaul that I heard of was him wanting to let go of anyone over 40. Which I totally agree with. I honestly think that any idea he came to them with would be better than whats going on right now...i mean seriously, I now know EXACTLY whats gonna play out on TNA for the next TWO WEEKS and it is going to get worse. I mean really. Its gonna get worse. Something has to happen and I believe Paul Heyman is the key to revitalizing the product.

I don't doubt that Paul Heyman would reinvigorate the product. He's one crazy bastard and he'd make for exciting TV. I can just understand Dixie's view too. Heyman would be an asset, but he'd also rock the boat like you wouldn't believe. He would want all the control and she doesn't want to relinquish it. I doubt there's anything personal to it, it's just business.

The Savior? What could Heyman exactly save? TNA are probably in the best position (Star power, ratings, house show attendances, iMPACT! is in a different arena tonight) the companies been in in it's entire existance. How can someone save something that is doing better than it's ever done? You do know Russo was there well before Bischoff? So if you enjoyed TNA prior to Jan 2010, guess what, Russo was writing that. Also how would TNA grow if they got rid of everyone over 40? It would be virtually impossible to attract new fans if no one knew anyone on the show. The reason I watch iMPACT! is because a few years ago I flicked over my TV and saw Kurt Angle and Kevin Nash. Had it been AJ Styles and James Storm, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. After being drawn in by the Angles, Nashs and Stings, it was guys like AJ and Storm that made their mark on me and kept me watching.

Maybe Dixie thought that letting everyone 40 yrs old and over go included her (46), but all jokes aside including Dixie and her staff, TNA needs a creative mind like Paul Heyman. He has been involve in the business since the age of 11 (WWWF) , he has worked for every major promotion in the US ( AWA, WWE, WCW,ECW ) I believe a Heyman - Bischoff partnership can be very lethal and save TNA from itself.

ECW wasn't owned by a multimillion dollar company who could keep throwing money at it.

Paul also said he'd fire everyone over 40 so Hogan and Flair wouldn't be there.

He'd also build up the stars better I believe. When he was writing for the Smackdown Six in 2002, those guys were praised.

Imagine what he could do with the X Division guys.

I don't doubt that Paul Heyman would reinvigorate the product. He's one crazy bastard and he'd make for exciting TV. I can just understand Dixie's view too. Heyman would be an asset, but he'd also rock the boat like you wouldn't believe. He would want all the control and she doesn't want to relinquish it. I doubt there's anything personal to it, it's just business.

Of course she wouldn't, its her company i'm sure she has nothing against Heyman. Like you said he would want TOTAL control. Could you imagine having your own company, trying to establish its reputation just to give control to someone else?

As much as I've enjoyed Paul's work in the past I really don't think he could fix TNA the way people seem to think he could. Business is down at the moment (for WWE too) and even with full creative control and financial backing, it is a different time and place. He would also have the misfortune of inheriting a product that already has an identity and it's much harder to make something valuable again once people have an established opinion of it.

Of course by comparison to what Bischoff and Hogan are doing, he could come in and look like a genius, but I'm sure many of us could. I think him coming in now, would be a day late, dollar short, type of situation.

Do I think he could improve it? Sure. But turn it in to a juggernaut like WCW was? Not a chance. ECW was an anomaly and a product of pop-culture at the time. I'm not dismissing it or anything, just saying that I'm not so sure in the current world climate you would be able to repeat the success of it. Especially with a company that people already have such a formed opinion of.

So many people say that Heyman would be the savior of TNA and I'm not quite sold on him.

First off, it seems that Heyman doesn't even want to be in wrestling at this point, I think he's happy doing the heyman hustle and doing his own thing.

Like some have said Heyman would want too much control and that's a bad idea altogether, at most let Heyman be head booker but keep him away from the business aspect of TNA because Heyman would tank that company quicker than the Titanic hitting an iceberg.

If Heyman was just head booker he would do great at it, he would push the talent the right way and one thing Heyman knows how to do is to put on a good product and how to build stars. Look at Mysterio, Edge, Benoit and Eddie, Heyman was the biggest reason why these 4 names became so successful in the WWE. Heyman saw the talent, booked them and pushed them correctly and all 4 became big time stars in the WWE, he could certainly still do that with the TNA roster.

If Heyman was booker I bet Beer Money, Styles, Joe and Morgan would all become big time stars within 18 months.

Heyman could be the savior, but I think he would want too much control, if he could just be left to booking and nothing else he could be a very valuable asset to TNA.

The next thing you know under Paul Heyman, TNA would become the new ECW and people that love TNA as it is right now would probably not approve of the change of direction and not watch the product. What happens next? Well TNA looses viewers, thus loose ratings, thus Spike cancels the show and TNA is in worse shape than if they stay like it is now.

I don't know about that. ECW was almost similar to how ROH is now, it is only for a certain taste. It did what it could with what it had.

Arguments about whether or not he'd be good or bad for TNA are just as debatable.

What is a fact though is that when he was running things over on Smackdown, it was nothing like ECW and thoroughly kicked ass.

He took Smackdown, that was starting to lose momentum after its explosive debut and completely revitalised it.

Heyman going to TNA would be very similar to when Heyman went to Smackdown.

I agree, but that's a money issue, not a creative one. They didn't go under due to the fact that the fans were hating on them on a weekly basis, they went under because they didn't have the finances to keep going. With TNA, as long as they have the Carter Family Fortune keeping them rolling, Paul Heyman has got a shot at a legitimate run against the WWE. IMO

Oh for the love of hell, this AGAIN?

Heyman is overrated, period. He was able to book interesting shows when he had Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, Jericho, Mysterio, Konnan, Taz and the Dudleyz in front of a bunch of drunk fans. Once that talent left, the stories SUCKED. People like to overlook that though because it helps their arguments. Watch any ECW show after the Dudleys and Taz are gone and show me one good story in the whole thing. I'll spare you the time: they don't exist. Heyman has been in charge twice of booking companies. The first was ECW, the second brought up the Extreme Elimination Chamber. This doesn't work and it's a stupid idea. His time has passed and it's not going to work nor happen.

I don't think that would happen. I dont' think Paul Heyman is a person who doesn't learn from his mistakes, and not only that, I don't think that he'd come in and change the TNA format from what got them over in the first place to something that was already done. Anybody CURRENTLY watching TNA knows that's not gonna work. Why? CAUSE ITS NOT WORKING. Paul Heyman has vision and I believe he'd come in, shred everyone over 40 and look at what he has in the current revamped roster, and make the standouts, stand out. If the X Division was what made them, he'd probably go back to that and push the crap out of it. Not only that, I totally believe that he would make EVERY division relevant. You gotta realize, that ECW was years ago and the business has changed since then and will change even more later on. If I know that, and YOU know that, Paul Heyman, knows that.
IMO

Totally agree with you. I feel where you coming from on Dixie's behalf but lets face it, under Dixie's Regime we've gotten crap for dinner on a weekly basis. Maybe she NEEDS to let go of the reigns even be it for a moment just to see what he can do. I mean banging your head against the wall isn't gonna make the headache go away. So maybe she should just stop and do something different. and if it IS indeed business, and it were me, If someone I knew could come in and take my business to higher heights then I'd pay him to do it and shut up cause I'm making money and hell, even give him the stakes he wants because without him, I got the Bischoff Russo show and thats not getting me anywhere. See what i'm sayin?

Paul Heyman is no genius. He took a bunch of guys that have no idea how to work (look at ecw now and you will see how sloppy and clutzy they were) and made a crappy wrestling promotion that went under. I also heard that he took $4 million from the company and didn't pay people when it closed. It was a small promotion and except for the dudleys, no home grown ecw talent became anything. RVD is a lazy pothead that takes a vacation every other year. Get over ECW it was garbage and Heyman is no better than anyone else. Also, being younger than 40 doesn't make you good. These young guys do a ton of moves that make no sense and then they no sell. Just hire people that know how to work if they are 20 or 50. If they can go, they can go.

Of course she wouldn't, its her company i'm sure she has nothing against Heyman. Like you said he would want TOTAL control. Could you imagine having your own company, trying to establish its reputation just to give control to someone else?

I could imagine it if I had a real estate company and Donald Trump said, "Hey i'd like to take your company to the world and I can do it, but I want complete control over what happens."

Me: "will i still get paid"

Trump: "i'd make you a millionaire over night"

Me: "done."

Oh for the love of hell, this AGAIN?

Heyman is overrated, period. He was able to book interesting shows when he had Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, Jericho, Mysterio, Konnan, Taz and the Dudleyz in front of a bunch of drunk fans. Once that talent left, the stories SUCKED. People like to overlook that though because it helps their arguments. Watch any ECW show after the Dudleys and Taz are gone and show me one good story in the whole thing. I'll spare you the time: they don't exist. Heyman has been in charge twice of booking companies. The first was ECW, the second brought up the Extreme Elimination Chamber. This doesn't work and it's a stupid idea. His time has passed and it's not going to work nor happen.

I disagree. I think that the reason why stories began to suck after those names left was because they were some of the biggest names in the business and ECW was beginning to lose money. When a person is broke, they don't have many options and they begin to get stressed out and you do NOT (trust me) do your best thinking while stressed out. I think the product got bad because the money got bad. Look at what he did on Smackdown. When the money is there, the options are there the stress is gone and the product wins.
Heyman can do the job, and do it better than anyone there right now. IMO

[cL];2905765 said:
I disagree.

And you're wrong.

I think that the reason why stories began to suck after those names left was because they were some of the biggest names in the business and ECW was beginning to lose money.

Has zero to do with booking. Please try to stay on topic which I know is difficult in a line long statement.

When a person is broke, they don't have many options and they begin to get stressed out and you do NOT (trust me) do your best thinking while stressed out.

In other words, when the pressure was on Heyman and he didn't have the same resources he had before, he failed. Thank you for agreeing with exactly what the point of my argument was.[/quote]

I think the product got bad because the money got bad.

The money wasn't good in the first place but whatever.

Look at what he did on Smackdown. When the money is there, the options are there the stress is gone and the product wins.

Also when talent is there, which is again, now stay with me here, EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

Heyman can do the job, and do it better than anyone there right now. IMO

And you would be wrong.

As much as I love Heyman and the original ECW, I don't think any one person could turn around TNA. Perhaps with the right team, I think it would make a considerable difference. Right now, they definitely need to do something....90% of the storylines and direction of the program have been crap ever since they attempted another monday night war. Even great minds like Heyman need people other creative, intellegent people that know the ins & outs of the industry & that aren't afraid to speak up when they think he's way off base. Paul isn't a god, he can make mistakes.....but this is only from a fan's perspective because I'm not involved in the business & have no idea what it would take to make a wrestling company successful.

With my disclaimer out of the way, I think Paul's comment about firing everyone over 40 is absolutely ridiculous and a perfect example of why he would need a balance of power. SOME of the talent that are on the roster are dead weight and need to go, for instance, I don't see at all how Hogan brings anything to TNA. He certainly did nothing for ratings or the quality of the product.....On the other hand, I think EB is a compelling on-air talent with fairly decent mic skills. I have no idea what his backstage role is but he definitely makes an interesting heel "general manager" type charachter. The guy is GREAT at being a jerk, & with the right creative mind in the writing staff, TNA could capitalize on that....

TNA doesn't need to change because no matter how much you all say it sucks, I'm absolutely positive that 90-95% of the people on these forums watch impact EVERY week.

You want to talk about a crappy product, watch WWE programming.

Most of you don't know how to enjoy this stuff anymore.

Here's the thing, Paul has said in interviews that ECW while it was his baby, wasnt what he intended, but he had to do it to survive. His talent roster was terrible most of the time he owned the company and the stars he did get were quickly eaten up by WCW, who were trying to bankrupt ECW. Haymen said that he put on that type of show because due to lack of talent and funds the only way to survive was to be different, the exact opposite of the other companies.

He has also stated that if he was to take over TNA he would want a 5 year, $5,000,000 a year, total control over the roster and personnel, and free reign on creative. He didnt want to deal with the politics or the checkbook. He said if TNA wanted to have him then they needed to be ready for him and since he didn't believe the company was serious about competing on any level with any other company he was upping his price tag and if they were serious they would agree, if not they would refuse.

Heyman just flat said point blank that TNA wasn't ready to hire a real, pure, wrestling mind and visionary to run their company and take them to the next level and they proved that by not agreeing to turn over creative/personnel control to him, if she would have done that he would have lowered his price tag but since she didnt agree then he wasn't going to take time away from his daughters for any less than $5 Mil a year.

TNA wasnt ready for Paul Heyman, and they may never will be. Hell TNA wasnt ready for Jim Cornette either, yet if they hired those two to run the show, (Heyman from creative and presonnel and Cornette from production) IMPACT would be huge. Dixie Carter is just afraid to give up that type of control and it is killing the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back