The Roman/Cena Shoot Segment

It was good mic work by both Reigns and Cena.

Cena only has some 12+ years of experience on the mic in WWE over Roman and yet Roman still made good, solid points, but of course, Cena is allowed to get the last word.

Roman's never been a long promo guy like The Rock, Austin or Cena. But that's good because he's not supposed to be the next John Cena. That's just something people say because they are generalizing the push Roman Reigns is getting with the push John Cena has received. The pushes may be somewhat similar but the characters are different. Some characters we know do more on the mic and less in the ring (ex. Enzo Amore) and some characters do more in the ring and less on the mic (ex. Roman).

Nothing wrong with that as long as it gets a solid reaction.

I'm sure the mic battles will continue and I'm sure with any luck Roman will be allowed to say more stuff than he did last time and I'm sure Cena will be allowed to get the last word and laugh off anything Roman says.

It was both painful and satisfying to watch. Mainly because everything that came out of Cena's mouth was true, and it became so unbelievably clear as the segment went on just how BIG the gap is between a "main eventer" and a "top guy" really is.

And look, I understand the sentiment that if you give Roman time to grow he will. But...no. Roman's been on top for 3 years. He's had time to develop these skills. He got better in the ring. He did not get significantly better on the mic. He isn't "The Guy". Not long term. I know that's what they want. But the dude is Diesel. He'll be remembered as one of the least interesting champions of this age, and as soon as they find a guy that has everything he has that can actually go on the mic without pissing off management- he's going to be relegated to the "Orton" spot.

It was both painful and satisfying to watch. Mainly because everything that came out of Cena's mouth was true, and it became so unbelievably clear as the segment went on just how BIG the gap is between a "main eventer" and a "top guy" really is.

And look, I understand the sentiment that if you give Roman time to grow he will. But...no. Roman's been on top for 3 years. He's had time to develop these skills. He got better in the ring. He did not get significantly better on the mic. He isn't "The Guy". Not long term. I know that's what they want. But the dude is Diesel. He'll be remembered as one of the least interesting champions of this age, and as soon as they find a guy that has everything he has that can actually go on the mic without pissing off management- he's going to be relegated to the "Orton" spot.

I've been saying it for years that Reigns will eventually take over Orton's spot as a bland character who will always be number two.

Oh I totally disagree. Listen Roman Reigns has a lot going for him but doing promo's isn't one of them, and letting him go off script I don't think will help him.
Look what happened when he did go off script the other night, he had to be bleeped out. Instead of having a good comeback he sounded like some guy off the street with the "fake ass bitch" comment. I'm sure the WWE doesn't want their megaface acting like that.

Reigns is someone who needs have have his promo's scripted for him and even then there are lot's of examples where he has forgotten his lines. He has even forgotten them doing interviews in the back. He can't even cover it up, all of a sudden he stops talking and gets this blank look on his face. It's so noticeable. If he could at least adlib it would help him a lot, I don't think he can even do that.

Listen I'm not expecting every wrestler to go out and cut a promo like Cena, Miz or Jericho, who really sell what they are saying. Which is another thing Reigns doesn't do, he doesn't make me believe what he is saying. It's the same old catchphrases each and every time. I mean how many times did we hear I'm not a good guy, I'm not a bad guy, I'm the guy. Now he's the big dog, it's his yard now, he returned the Undertaker etc, etc. Maybe that's why some say he has no charisma because he really doesn't.

Their something that does bugged me in what you wrote. The fact the you think that the "fake ass bitch" comment was reigns improvising. This was 100% wwe scripted promo. Reigns as always been unconfortable with scripted promo. It shows on tv that he as problem remembering lines. The best reigns promo or either those that are short and to do point or when they leave him be himself. He's able to be a good to great promo if they loosen the reign on him and give him bullet point instead of a full scripted.

Their something that does bugged me in what you wrote. The fact the you think that the "fake ass bitch" comment was reigns improvising. This was 100% wwe scripted promo. Reigns as always been unconfortable with scripted promo. It shows on tv that he as problem remembering lines. The best reigns promo or either those that are short and to do point or when they leave him be himself. He's able to be a good to great promo if they loosen the reign on him and give him bullet point instead of a full scripted.

Not to be rude but how do you know it was scripted? It looked to me anyway like Reigns lost his train of thought and when Cena made mention of it Reigns came up with that insult. The one thing Cena is not is a "fake ass bitch", he almost lives his motto of hustle, loyalty and respect. It shows in his work ethic, the way he treats his fans and his devotion to the industry.

I'm sorry but it just seemed to me that Reigns thought that up on the fly because he couldn't remember exactly what it was he supposed to say.

Not to be rude but how do you know it was scripted? It looked to me anyway like Reigns lost his train of thought and when Cena made mention of it Reigns came up with that insult. The one thing Cena is not is a "fake ass bitch", he almost lives his motto of hustle, loyalty and respect. It shows in his work ethic, the way he treats his fans and his devotion to the industry.

I'm sorry but it just seemed to me that Reigns thought that up on the fly because he couldn't remember exactly what it was he supposed to say.
I don't know if it was scripted or not. But what I know is that this "fake a*s bi*ch" line has made me root for Cena in their match. It came off like Reigns doesn't have answer to John Cena so he stooped down to badmouth him.

I did read a report saying that WWE wanted Roman Reigns to come off as heel. If that's true then I get that line. But if not, I don't get it.

Look at all of the top faces over the past few decades. 99% of them started out as or got over as a heel first. Let's run down the list; Austin, the Rock, Cena, Trips, HBK, 'Taker, Angle, Lesnar, Foley, CM Punk, Bryan, Batista, Orton, Flair, Hogan, Hart, Hall, Nash, and on and on. They all got over as heels before they became overwhelmingly fan favorites.

Another thing that is common between the names up there is that all of them could cut one hell of a promo. They didn't get over because they started out as heels, they succeeded​ because they were terrific on the mic. They could tell a great story.

A Roman heel turn won't help him much if he stays the same on the mic.

I thought it was an awesome segment. Cena showed why he's one of the best ever and Roman's promo only gave further evidence that he should be nowhere near that top spot. I liked the fourth wall breaking and Cena's mocking of Reigns. While I fear that Reigns will ultimately end up winning the match so that WWE can yet again try to force him into the #1 spot by having him defeat Cena, the segment accomplished what it was supposed to do and that was generate interest for a huge match. My dislike of Roman's forced push is no secret around here and I will be rooting for Cena. I hope there will be more promo battles where he destroys Reigns like he did here.

Personally, i thought this was a scripted line for two reason, first, because it'S not the first time they have use this type of language in a reigns promo and secondly, because of the timing of the insult. it felt scripted too me because of how cena insulted him and he came back with the lame insult that pretty much everybody use on Cena at one time or another.

If this was reigns thinking on the fly, then i applaud him for that because it was a great line and help his personna of somebody that's not on Cena's level yet which i think the whole segment was suppose to accomplish in the first place, so again congrats to him if that wasn'T scripted. If it was scripted, then again congrats to reigns for making some people think it wasn't scripted.

I think the point of the whole segment was to make Reigns look like he's not ready to be Cena's replacement which he'S truly not ready.

I know they probably going to rush the whole thing since this program his suppose to end at No Mercy and Cena is going back to smackdown after he finish filming bumblebee, but i would have love to see a long build to this feud where you have reigns trying to step up his game and prove he deserve cena's spot only to fail. Have Reigns lose to Cena at No mercy and he as to rethink this whole big dog thing he'S been doing and he's not able to shake the fact that he's not on the level of Cena only to have a rematch against Cena at the february PPV where he finally beats him and you do the passing of the torch at that PPV. But that'S what i would have loved to see. My guess is that he gets humiliated for three weeks and they do the match at no mercy and Cena Loses to Reigns and they do the respect angle there.

And it's threads like this that prove anyone can still be a mark :lmao:

It was a very good segment that accomplished exactly what it was supposed to.

Yep and YOU'RE the mark, acting as if 'hardy har har this was all part of their plan yeshhhhh, you simpletons you'. It didn't really do a lot for Roman.

And yes it is all scripted for fucks sake maybe except the Angle You Suck reference. WWE doesn't let you run amok on the mic peeps. Cena got his Rock writes his promos on a wrist approved, Punk got his pipe bomb approved by the office.

It didn't really do a lot for Roman.
Dont think even WWE wanted Roman to be on Cena promo level here. Even they knew that is impossible task. It created a lot of buzz and that is more then fine for them. Roman got experience, cut what was maybe his best promo so far(not counting 5 words promo after Mania) probably getting a win because he was pinned at Summerslam and needs to look strong and Cena is going to shoot Transformers and both will move on until maybe next year when and if they meet again. Just because people think he got "burried" because he couldnt hang with one of the best talker in history of business doesnt mean he really did.

Dont think even WWE wanted Roman to be on Cena promo level here. Even they knew that is impossible task. It created a lot of buzz and that is more then fine for them. Roman got experience, cut what was maybe his best promo so far(not counting 5 words promo after Mania) probably getting a win because he was pinned at Summerslam and needs to look strong and Cena is going to shoot Transformers and both will move on until maybe next year when and if they meet again. Just because people think he got "burried" because he couldnt hang with one of the best talker in history of business doesnt mean he really did.

They have one month to build a Mania match at No Mercy. Cena/Roman sells the PPV and so does Brock/Strowman. They didn't reaaaaaalllllly need to do this. They could have gone the safer route. To disrupt the system Vince decided to let Cena loose on the mic before he leaves, on Roman who is next in line and it really made Cena look like the legend he is.

See there is nothing to gain for Roman here because he will still have his fan base, but he could've swung the other half in his corner ever so slightly as well, but he couldn't. It was always gonna be a big deal when they met, regardless of all this shoot business so they did this for a purpose. Maybe I fail to see it.

Was anyone else scratching their heads at the way they scripted that promo last night? Why would you have Roman call out Cena only to have Cena lean up against the ropes and look weak? If you're gonna have Roman say "do it, beat my ass" then Cena should have stepped up to him only to be interrupted by another wrestler or Kurt Angle. I was stumped on that one.

Was anyone else scratching their heads at the way they scripted that promo last night? Why would you have Roman call out Cena only to have Cena lean up against the ropes and look weak? If you're gonna have Roman say "do it, beat my ass" then Cena should have stepped up to him only to be interrupted by another wrestler or Kurt Angle. I was stumped on that one.
I was confused as well. Why would John Cena say nothing when Roman Reigns says him to do it. Just a minute, John Cena wants to beat some common sense into him but then he doesn't even speak. Just "Do it" from Roman Reigns. I wonder if WWE wanted Roman Reigns to have the last word tonight. Was mind-boggling though.

I felt like last night segment was made to leave cena looking like he was stun that reigns prove him wrong by calling his bluff. I might be wrong but this was made to make reigns look like he's not scared of cena and his threat. The way they did it made the segment feel awkward but I think the intention was to make reigns look like soebody that isn't scared of cena.

Yeah, I get that. What I didn't understand is why you'd have someone like Cena, who supposedly never backs away from a fight, stand there with a grin on his face looking weak when Reigns challenged him. Cena should've stepped up to the plate to look equally unintimidated. This was nearly the same thing as having him use the everyday heel tactic of stepping into the ring only to back down and walk away moments later.

Idk man, maybe I'm making too much of it, but it just kind of left me confused. You have your 2 biggest faces and Cena called Reigns out, supposedly came to Raw to fight him, but then doesn't answer the challenge when it's time. Again, Cena should've stood toe to toe with him and then Angle's (or whoever you prefer) music hits to stop them. My best guess is they know Cena was up 1-0 after that promo last week and this would even the score.

I think it's obvious that Cena has decimated Reigns in their promo exchanges. Reigns has improved on the mic, he's not even remotely close to being on Cena's level but he has gotten better. One reason why Cena scorched Reigns so definitively is because Cena is still being protected; if allowed, there are places that Roman could go that, from a wrestling promo standard, could take the wind out of Cena's sails.

Cena does indeed spin, or rather he and the writers both spin, the various criticisms made about him by numerous internet fans over the last decade plus in ways in which render those criticisms as ineffectual. We've heard all the various "you can't wrestle" nonsense or the "Cena buries" guys stuff from others before Reigns and it doesn't really work because all Cena has to do is remind people of his work ethic. Like him or not, NOBODY has had John Cena's work ethic in WWE, NOBODY has gone all out in order to hype and expand the company as Cena has, including becoming fluent in foreign languages. The most hardcore Cena hater can't argue with that, they can try but they'll instantly look foolish the moment they do. As for him not having great matches, that may very well be the single dumbest thing to come out of Roman Reigns' mouth since the infamous Sufferin' Succotash promo a few years back.

If WWE wanted to level the playing field a bit when it comes to these promos, I think the key would be to have Reigns ultimately do what Cena does against him: mix in some of the various fan criticisms about him with real life goings on. For instance, Cena mentioned Roman's failed drug test from last year. That won't happen, however, as Vince will do anything to protect the image he's helped build for John Cena, so that leaves most opponents pretty hamstrung as all they're left with are the old school heel tactics and internet fan complaints. If Vince did allow it to go down, I could see Reigns saying something along these lines:

Roman Reigns - "You know why I've called you a fake ass bitch John? It's because that's exactly what you are. You come out here week after week and deliver these sermons from the mount, the gospel according to Cena, in which you run down your opponents and your detractors with your A+ spin tactics. The central part in all your sermons is your mantra of Hustle, Loyalty and Respect and I wanna talk about that for a bit. Y'all know what a hustler is? A hustler is someone who works hard, does their absolute best. That's only one definition though, see there's another one where a hustler is a con man, a scam artist, someone who does and says whatever they have to do in order to get what they want. That's what you are John, you're a con man, you're a scamming, lowlife hypocrite who calls people out for the sorta conniving, backstabbing crap that you pull. As for Loyalty and Respect, well they're pretty self explanatory right? You don't know a damn thing about Loyalty and Respect John. Hell folks, y'all don't have to take my word for it, all you gotta do is hit up Cena's ex wife and you'll find out just how loyal and respectful to her he was. You come out here John each weak and you paint yourself like you're some great American hero, like you're Superman or something. But you ain't Superman John, I'm pretty sure Superman never screwed around with Wonder Woman behind Lois Lane's back and there've been a LOT of different gals playin' the Wonder Woman to your Superman over the years. You see John, it's not so much that I don't like you as a wrestler, I don't like you because you're a lying, fake ass bitch that's spent 15 years selling lies to people. Hustle, Loyalty and Respect to you is nothing more than a slogan to put on ugly ass t-shirts that you con little boys and girls to get their parents to buy for them. You always like to tell your detractors "You Can't See Me" but that's the thing John, I do see you. I see who you are, what you're like and what you do when the cameras stop rolling and all the little boys and girls you've conned into believing in you are home snug as a bug in a rug in their beds. I know who the real John Cena is, I know what he's really all about and it ain't this corporate, ass kissing mascot that you show everyone who isn't back in that locker room. John Cena is all about John Cena and that's fine brother; hell, I'd shake your hand and call you a stand up guy if you actually had the guts to come right out and say that. Now me, I'm not perfect and never said I was. I don't pretend to be somebody that I'm not, I don't try to shove a lie down people's throats the way you have for the last 15 years and I never will. After No Mercy, you won't be just the lying, scheming, fake ass bitch that you already are; when No Mercy's in the history books, you'll also be Roman Reigns' bitch. Believe that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back