• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rock vs Stone Cold Wrestlemania Matches

Which Austin/Rock Match was better

• Wrestlemania XV

• Wrestlemania X-Seven

• Wrestlemania XIX

Results are only viewable after voting.

KKKKwe

Occasional Pre-Show
So I dont know if this has been done before but I would like to do this because peoples mind change and the last time Austin/Rock fought was in 2003. So Rock and Austin are 2 of the greatest stars in WWE ever, but want i want to know from you people is which one of their 3 match at Wrestlemania were great. For me I can say all 3 of them were great but Wrestlemania Xseven was the best between them because of the build up and both of them being faces. So all I want you guys to do is tell me which one of their matches was the best for u.

This is a tough one for me.

I think I'm going to have to go with XIX.

XVII was probably a better all around match but I -loved- the build up for XIX. There were a lot of great hilarious moments and it was just one of those matches that while watching it you really knew what you were seeing. The Rock hadn't been around for awhile... Austin hadn't been around for awhile. You knew you were watching two of the greatest and one of the best rivarlies for what would probably be the last time.

Sure The Rock was the heel but the crowd didn't care. His promos were still hilarious and he wasn't acting like a cowardly heel so much. They may as well both have been faces.. especially when the actual match was taking place.

The Rock wearing Austins vest... Austin hitting Rock with the rock bottom... Rock hitting Austin with a stunner. Sure they've done that before but it just felt a little different that night.

Maybe if I watched all three again I'd change my mind but as of right now, even though Austin lost the last one and I'm a huge Austin fan I have to go with XIX. It just really had that feel of magic in the air.

I adore all three of their matches, as I believe no one had better chemistry inside a wrestling ring. Bret Hart and Curt Hennig, Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels and Undertaker, amongst these greats Austin and Rock are right there.

My favorite of the 3 would have to be the WM17 bout. It was just in my opinion (all due respect to Bret & Shawn and the iron man match) thee greatest Wrestlemania main event of all time. It was built up beautifully, right up until the pre-match promo and introductions. The match itself was incredible, and it capped off arguably the greatest mania to date. I can watch this match every day and never get tired of it.

The WM19 match was also wonderful. It was probably a better match than most expected, being Austin was beat up & on his way out, and Rocks appearances at this point were scarce, but then again these 2 were always magic in the ring. It was a tug-on-your-heartstrings match that gave us an intense, dramatic, see-saw battle that gave Rock his first mania win against the Rattlesnake. If that wasn't enough, after the bell, Rock leaned over to a beaten Austin who was still lying on his back, and thanked him for everything he had given to the him and the business, and told him he loved him. I get choked up just writing about it.

That leaves us with the WM15 bout, which was their 1st on the grand stage together. All in all a great match, but doesn't really measure up to the next two. Austin himself claims he wasn't completely satisfied with the match, citing how he left his black vest at home and didn't feel right without it. Everyone should have "bad" matches like these guys had.

So while I loved all 3 bouts, I gotta go with WM17, as I am sure the majority will as well..

First I have to say that I loved all 3 matches, it's really a pleasure to see both these guys in the ring blowing the roof off!!! There best match was at Wrestlmaina 17, the reason I feel this way is a combination of the buildup plus the match that I'm sure exceeded ppls expectations. The ending to the match was a :wtf: moment, there really isn't more a person could ask for out of a Mania main event match, & I'll bet money that this match goes down in history as one one of the top 10 best Mania main events.

Now there best match was at 17, but my favorite match w/these two was at Mania 19. I can't tell you guys how excited I was when Rock challenge Austin to one more match, My whole family marked the hell out, & we order Mania just off this match alone. It took 1 stunner, 1 ppls elbow, & 3 rock bottoms for The Rock to beat Austin that's sick!!!!! One of the main reason this match is my favorite is because you could really feel the real emotion coming from both superstars after the match. This match was the perfect ending to the greatest rivalry in Wrestling history.

Watching all these matches & there other matches they had togather you can really tell how they had so much respect for each other cause no matter who won the match they use to make each other look really good in the match. I swear I wish we could get a Rock/Austin 4!!!!! BTW I hope these two do a movie togather I really think a buddy cop movie or some kind of other action movie w/them being partners would be hella sick!!!!!

I know I’m in the minority here but I’ve always found their matches to be overrated. WrestleMania XV was God awful so I’m throwing that one out right away. WrestleMania X7 was pretty good but I don’t think it’s the all time classic people make it out to be.

My favorite of the three was WrestleMania XIX. This was my favorite more for the moment rather than the match itself. This took place eight years ago and to this day it remains Austin’s last match. Retirement and wrestling don’t really go together. How many times have we seen someone retire only to come back months later and continue wrestling for years? Even if someone actually does quit full time they usually come back for some kind of special attraction somewhere along the way. The fact that this has remained Austin’s last match for all these years makes it the most significant to me. He went out the right way. He lost clean to The Rock, the man who put him over so many times in the past. Rock whispered something to Austin after the three count as they shared their own special moment before Austin took the long walk up the aisle to salute the crowd one last time.

I'm going with Wrestlemania XIX as well. An old fashioned grudge match. The Rock was the face of wrestling after Austin "took his ball went home." People always talk about who is better, The Rock or Austin? For me, it's always been The Rock, and The Rock finally beat Austin at 'Mania. One of my favorite Wrestlemania moments is when The Rock put on Austin's vest and then Austin started to beat his ass. Who can forget Austin using the Rock Bottom or The Rock doing the Stunner? And it took The Rock two Rock Bottom's to get the job done and he did it clean. On a final note, nobody takes a Stunner better than The Rock.

Now a lot of people are going to say X-Seven which was their 2nd match because it was on arguably the greatest WrestleMania ever!! And I will pick it too, but not for that reason.. I really liked the story going into this match! It was really good and on top of that, they put on a nearly half hour classic for us to leave us with a big shock at the end on Mania..

I also would like to mention XIX, I think the match was good, nothing more.. and again it was Austin's last match and we didn't get dissapointed!

I liked 17 the most. I didn't see the ending coming at all. Its a miracle that they even pulled the last one off. Austin was so beat up and on his way out as previously stated. The night before he was in the hospital. He almost had a stroke due to the fact that he was drinking so much coffee and energy drinks. His heart rate and blood pressure were sky high. They didn't think he was going to be able to pull off the match but he did it with out a hitch. At the end when the rock was talking to him he was telling him that he loved him. They aired a special about this prior to Wrestlemania xx. It's on the bonus feature disc of the original DVD release. I don't know if it's on the new one that has the Benoit match edited out. It was also on T.V prior to Wrestlemania XX if I remember correctly. It also goes into depth with the Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle match as well.

I'd personally have to pick XIX as well.

XV to seemed like a over-drawn street fight. The first 10-15 minutes feature Rock and Austin fighting in the crowd more or less non-stop, and when they finally get in the ring, we chop and change between finishers and refs getting beaten up every two minutes and then it finally finished.

I think 17 stands out in so many people's minds because Austin had been missing from the previous Mania due to his 'being hit by a car' and they'd sort of forgtten about his complete dominance of the WM title picture at the time. Plus the massive swerve heel turn at the end makes it a very monumental and historical ending to a WM. It was akin to Hogan joining the nWo, but at Wrestle-freakin'-Mania!

But for me, XIX stands out mainly for the huge build up with the question of 'Can the Rock actually beat Steve Austin 1 on 1 at WM?

Plus while Austin was pretty much typical Austin in all three matches, this was the first time Rocky played his arrogant, cocky, cowardly film star persona and it just made that match so much more entertaining than the other two.

I mean, just seeing Rock put Austin's jacket on to mock him, and thentake a 5 minute beat down immediately afterward made me laugh, plus all of his mannerisms that he used to do, like patting himself on the back or applauding himself when he got the upper hand, to get the crowd riled up was just genius.

For me, XIX wins due to the build up leading up to it, and because of it's main differences compared to the other two, LIKE Rock's character for example.

It's really hard to pick honestly but I go with X7. The build up was the best, the match had so much to it, both of em bringing back classic WM match endings like how Bret beat Austin at WM 13 & how Bret beat Piper at WM 8, also Bret beat Austin the same way at Survivor Series 96, both of em used each others finishers, they went hardcore & used submissions, both of which we never seen before and it had one of the best heel turns ever.

WrestleMania X-Seven. No question in my mind. This was an iconic match, the crown jewel of their entire feud. This match was a brawl and a damn good one. I'll never forget when Austin sided with McMahon and turned heel that match. Those brutal chair shots on The Rock added a different factor to the match, they really added even more hatred to the feud. Not only was it good in telling a story, but it had some great spots. Aside from the chair shots, it was a back and forth battle, with Rock hitting Austin with his own finisher, some nearfalls, some submissions, this match had it all. My favorite of the three, great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back