• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Relevance of Hogan

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
hogantna.jpg

With this man's return scheduled for next week, a certain irk of the old seems to have seeped back into these forums. But, is Hogan's role really done in the wrestling world?

Surely not. Man can still cut a promo, tell a good story, has the audience in the palm of his hands and he is there for one reason, push Hardy. Hogan's role is all but of a gold-rub to the next top guy of the company. Anderson/ Hardy is surely TNA's main feud for months to come and rest assured, Hogan will play his canniving part well in all this.

Then again, does TNA really need him to do so? He is nothing more than a glorified heel-cheerleader in this ripe old age and would it rather be best for TNA to cut ties with the past and focus on the fact that top names can be made by compelling storylines and stellar matches on their own.

Hence I ask my fellow WZF'rs, does Hulk Hogan have any advantageous relevance?

Of course he doesn't. He hasn't for a very long time. As far as cutting promos goes, his were never that great in the first place and if you've heard it once, you've heard 'em all. Bischoff is doing the same exact role as Hogan would be doing, only he's doing it a little better than what Hogan would be doing. There's absolutely no need for him. The only people that are going to care that he's there are the people who show up to the impact zone but don't know anything about wrestling. When they see Hulk Hogan they'll think he's someone special because he's one of the few names they know. Fact is, he's a shell of his former self. He's been that way for a loooooooooong time. Anyone who says otherwise ought to be shot in the nuts.

I feel TNA should save their money on Hogan. I imagine he is getting huge amounts for what he does and yet his presence doesn't really translate into ratings or anything. Hogan is someone who just doesn't know the meaning of the word "retire".

When Hogan & Bischoff first arrived in TNA, I think his role was more relevant. Personally, I liked the idea of Eric & Hulk both acting as GMs (or whatever their titles were). There was a great "good cop/bad cop" act between the two, obviously with Eric playing "bad cop" and Hulk playing "good cop". Since Hogan's inevitable heel-turn, his character hasn't really been necessary. Bischoff is better at playing a GM (as a heel or a face) than Hogan will ever be, and I don't think his presence has any benefits for the product (other than the kitschy/nostalgia factor).

I think Hogan's recent absence from television has been great. He was in too many segments per show, most of them being completely unnecessary. Hopefully he won't be in more than two segments per episode after his return, but I have a feeling that TNA's sponsors and/or producers will put him in as many as they can (just like they were doing before he left). The fact of the matter is that Hogan is (and probably always will be) the most recognizable celebrity that pro-wrestling has ever produced. That's the reason why TNA is paying him to be there in the first place, and I understand why they want him on TV as much as possible.

Hopefully he'll stay out of the ring -- not only because the fans aren't clamoring for it, but also for the sake of his own health.

If Hogan really wants to help TNA he should become a predominantly backstage influence. Speaking as a guy in his 30s - Hogan will always hold a special place in my wrestling heart. The (very) occasional appearance would be great - every week, definitely not so much. The man has been a major part of the last two boom periods of wrestling, his backstage influence on the roster should be great. He still has a presence in the world of celebrity and should use these links to make the 'Maximum Impact' in promoting TNA/ getting it's stars mainstream publicity.

Honestly... his promos (now) absolutely blow. If I have to hear him talk about "raising the bar" one more time, I'm going to impregnate Nick Hogan (that one's the girl, right?)

I am not a fan of either Anderson or Hardy, but I can be impartial enough to say that despite my indifference and hate (respectively) of the two, they have some talent and the ability to carry a top notch angle (moreso Anderson).

Hogan being included in this would serve nothing more than keeping himself in the limelight and pushing aside Hardy & Anderson. Hardy was once, for two months, the hottest star in wrestling and Anderson is TNA's hottest babyface right now, they don't need a rub from Hogan.

If Hogan wants to give someone a rub he should concentrate on doing angles with guys like Jay Lethal and Kazarian.

It really bothers me that I've written an entire response concerning Jeff Hardy without bashing him once.

Honestly, why have we not seen the last of hogan. His mic skills are good but he says the same thing over and over brother. Watch his reality show and see how out of touch he really is, he needs to embrace retirement and get a life. TNA needs to spend their money more wisely on future stars or current stars for that matter. The Hardys are becoming about as relevant as Hogan any more. Does Matt Hardy really think he's the greatest? What has he done ? Watch the Big Valboskis rant and he hits it right on the head with the Hardlys. TNA needs to clean house with the washed up has beens and never beens and start from scratch. They have Angle who could out mic and out perform any of the Hardys or Hogan. Somebody needs to tell Hogan its over, go home, do infomercials and quit boring us with his presence. Better yet keep doing the hokey Rent A Center commercials with a real athlete like Troy Aikman.

I'm tired of Hogan. He says he wants to help TNA, but every chance he gets, he soaks up promo/ring time and bores us to Creeping Death with the vitamins and the prayers and the "raising the bar," which I have not seen at all by the way, and of course, the BROTHERS.:banghead: I mean, I used to not have an issue with him. But the more relevant he tries to become, he shows himself to be the egotistical, washed up shell of a man he is. He needs to realize that this isn't 1980 anymore. If he really wants TNA to succeed, quit getting on screen EVERY chance you get. The company is in good hands with guys like A.J., MCMG, Pope.

But enough ranting. The more he tries to be relevant, the more he really just embarrasses himself.

If Hogan was the only authority figure in Immortal, I would say that he would have had some relevance. But its probably a good thing considering that he is unable to appear on TV a lot to his health problems. As the OP has pointed out he can cut a great promo and has a lot of starpower.

But as we know that is not the case. There are three authority figures in Immortal and at the most two are needed. Ideally only one is needed but lets say you want two of them so that Flair can take control of Fourtune when they break away from Immortal. Bischoff does a good job and so does Flair while Hogan is away from TV.

So yes Hogan might seem a bit redundant but when Immortal and Fourtune split up it will be Hogan's stable vs Flair's stable. Now that sounds a lot better than Flair's stable vs Bischoff's stable.

Its really more of a case of Hogan's starpower more than anything else. Also its not like TNA would improve by leaps and bounds if they release Hogan so I'd say that since they have signed him up, its better that they keep him in the hope that his name attracts more people to the show. Of course you can argue that TNA should have never signed up Hogan in the first place but now you have to answer the question keeping the fact in mind that TNA have already signed Hogan.

I think people are underestimating the impact that his injury has played in the potential role he could have and could go on to play on TNA programming. Is he relevent? Well I'm going to buck the trend of responses here and say that Hogan will forever be relevent in the world of wrestling. The mere association of his name to the Immortal stable makes a big difference and is why they have continued to mention him on Impact whilst he has been absent.
So does he have an advantageous relevance? I have to say yes, he's Hulk Hogan for God's sake. And as the old saying goes 'even if you know nothing about wrestling, you know who Hulk Hogan is'.

Of course he still has some advantageous relevance. Hulk Hogan will always be the biggest star in the history of professional wrestling and even getting a rub from him off of a promo still means something. He put many people over throughout his career and other wrestlers thanked him for working with them just because he helped put food on their table. He tried to help Abyss when he was stuck in a rut but it didn't work out. His health problems are troublesome but I have no doubt if he gets healthy, he can put somebody over.

Of course he still has some advantageous relevance. Hulk Hogan will always be the biggest star in the history of professional wrestling and even getting a rub from him off of a promo still means something. He put many people over throughout his career and other wrestlers thanked him for working with them just because he helped put food on their table. He tried to help Abyss when he was stuck in a rut but it didn't work out. His health problems are troublesome but I have no doubt if he gets healthy, he can put somebody over.

Well Said. John Tenta always until he died thanked Hogan for putting him over by allowing him to be in the Main Event at Summerslam (as Earthquake). Hogan made The Giant aka Big Show relevant in wcw by putting him over as well. The Big Show had he not gotten the vote of confidence from Hogan could have became no more popular then El Gigante/ Giant Gonzalez. Hogan has put over plenty of people in his career. I do think maybe Mr. Anderson would have been a better Heel for Immortal then Jeff Hardy but I like how it's kinda fresh seeing Hardy trying to be a heel.

Hulk Hogan will always have his name. To some degree, Hogan can rest on his laurels and count on his name to have at least some degree of influence on wrestling.

A while back, I created a threat asking whether or not TNA should just release Hulk Hogan and the answers were all pretty mixed. Some loved the idea of TNA just letting him go, some thought he should remain almost entirely as a backstage/off screen force in the company, some still just mark out for thim, etc. It still wouldn't bother me at all if TNA released Hulk Hogan but since it's obvious that they're going to keep him around, I'd prefer him being a backstage guy instead of becoming the focus and overall top heel of the company.

I think Hogan could play a valuable role as an authority figure, but TNA should've written him out entirely while he's dealing with these back surgeries.

I know he's a big deal, but him showing up on one Impact out of every ten to hobble down to the ring and say "brother!" is just irritating.

Either he's well enough to be at every tapings or he should be entirely out of sight, out of mind, getting his issues taken care of.

Yeah its ashame alot of people say that Hulk Hogan never put anybody over when he clearly has in his career. People like The Rock, Earthquake, Billy Kidman, Goldberg, The Big Show, Edge and even that dude that came in the WWE in 2003 with that gimmick of a guy with a fucked up leg. Hogan has put over alot of people in this buisness and deserves credit for it.

I still don't understand how tna could have thought this a good idea in the first place. He fed them bs about raising a fresh crop and in the end, I can't name one star that has been made by Hogan in TNA.

I agree with Jack Hammer, Hulk Hogan shouldn't be a top heel in the company nor should he insert and market himself as the centre piece of this company. One day Hulk Hogan will leave TNA which TNA needs to realise so they should utilise Hulk Hogan's name value to it's full potential while it still lasts. There is no doubt Hogan is the most recognised wrestler of all time, but he is no longer in his prime or anywhere near it, he cannot wrestle and he never really was that amazing on the mic, but his name value will always be there. Wrestling is synonymous with Hulk Hogan, which TNA should use to their advantage in boosting their product and becoming recognised to the general public and mainstream media.

Yeah its ashame alot of people say that Hulk Hogan never put anybody over when he clearly has in his career. People like The Rock, Earthquake, Billy Kidman, Goldberg, The Big Show, Edge and even that dude that came in the WWE in 2003 with that gimmick of a guy with a fucked up leg. Hogan has put over alot of people in this buisness and deserves credit for it.
Saying Hulk Hogan never put anyone over isn't quite an accurate statement. When people (at least on the interwebz) talk about "putting someone over", what they most often mean is "did the job for", which is something Hogan's almost never done. (Warrior in '86?) Attaching a wrestler to the Hulk Hogan brand was an instant way to get him over throughout the 1980's.

For the past ten years, a lot of the resentment has to do with the fact that it is very obvious Hulk Hogan is not the wrestler he was even ten years ago. He has the name power to make a star out of someone he were to do a job for, but no longer has the power to raise someone's profile.

(To whomever uses it: Just fucking stop with this "he's there to promote Jeff Hardy" crap. Jeff was one of the WWE's most popular champions last year; he's at the phase of his career where he should be able to promote himself... and not on YouTube.)

Now, Hulk Hogan only brings to the program the last fading vestiges of his name power. The *thought* of him wrestling a match is done. (Please.) He can't be the guy that goes out on top anymore, and yet as bizarre as it is, Hulk Hogan is still the guy coming out on top. His role has been, through the cruel course of time, whittled down to setting the stage for the Next Big Star (it's not Jeff Hardy), but he won't step out of the spotlight himself.

This is why there's the resentment towards Hulk Hogan. While the business was once about him, now, he makes it about him, and people see through that.

I think Hulk Hogan walks through a mall, just about everyone would recognize him immediately. He's an icon, he spans generations, and he's still one of the biggest names in the business.

The funny thing is, they'd likely all be asking "So Hulk, what are you doing now?" because for one the wrestling viewing market has been shrinking, and for two basically nobody knows what TNA is.

What most people fail to understand is that a lot of you are going to watch TNA regardless of whether or not Hogan is there. You don't like Hogan because of the misconstrued reputation about him and his past...and the irrational fear that still lingers that he will continue to hold back talent today. That's fine...but again...you're still going to watch TNA because you like the young talented guys they have, you like the change of pace when compared to the bigger conglomerate known as the WWE, and perhaps you even deep down subconsciously know that Hogan really isn't making things worse...it's just your predisposed bias toward him after all.

The reason Hogan is there isn't for people like you, the ones who already love this style of wrestling and will watch regardless. The reason they brought Hogan in is to gain recognition outside of the people like you. Perhaps bring back some of the old fans or at the very least - bring a world reknown wrestling name into their business - which gives them recognition when working with other businesses. Or even these people who have heard of Hogan and know he's a "big star" and most recognized wrestler of all time see that he's with TNA and realize that this company must be at least somewhat relevant if they're able to afford him, "I wonder who else they have over there...let me check this out..." Without him, they have no idea what the company is. They've never heard of any of the wrestlers and feel that it's just an amateur wrestling show filled with all the guys who couldn't cut it in the WWE.

When negotiating with cable companies for potential shows and tv spots, when contacting the "Jersey Shore" and other shows and people in which you are courting their services - it's better that you have a world reknown name in your company that gives them some recognition. Believe it or not, the average business man doesn't know who "The Pope" or even Rob Van Dam is. If somebody held a gun to the average business man's head and showed them a picture of Rob Van Dam and said that they were going to pull the trigger unless he name that wrestler...the average business man would be dead. It's a fact. You show almost anybody in the world a picture of Hulk Hogan...from your grandparents to younger kids to even these same average business men and they will name "Hulk Hogan" 9.9 times out of 10. It's all about recognition.

Just because some of you are die hard fans and become engulfed in progressing to the new generation, yadda yadda yadda...that doesn't mean that non-wrestling fans and business men are going to take your word for it that some of these younger newer guys are going to be something special. They've never heard of them plain and simple. They've heard of Hogan...so when it comes to business ventures, expansion, dealing with other companies and any other negotiations...Hulk Hogan being with TNA has significantly more value...than any other wrestler on the roster...whether you like it or not.

It's common sense. It's time to start looking at the big picture and trying to understand certain things from different perspectives. If everybody constantly just continues looking out their own one-dimensional and jaded window...nobody will ever really understand anything, will they?

- Prime

I think the main issue is he really can't be used to his full capacity right now. With the formation of Immortal and Anderson's concussion, I imagined Hogan's was to be the prime antagonist with Hardy laughing on, but due to the back surgery, that wasn't what happened. I think Hogan would make a better authority figure than Bischoff in the long run, mainly because of the star-power Hogan carries. Being an evil, manipulative authority figure seems to work well for establishing new faces. While Eric Bischoff can be good for that role, he would never be able to give the kind of rub Hulk Hogan could give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back