• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The reason Shawn Michaels gets so much flack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, a bit off topic here but with regards to "drawing power" - a lot of that has to do with how the match and feud as well as the undercard are booked, how they generate buzz among fans.

There are a handfull of guys who "catch lightening in a bottle", who have personnas and the luck of timing to become really big, able to draw against almost anyone, but these guys, like Hogan, Austin, & Goldberg are rare. Often it takes a trememndous amount of charisma and star power on the part of the wrestler AND good entertaining booking to become a major attraction.

Much of the success of a major card also deals with the interest in the undercard. This past WM was helped significantly by the "end of an era" confrontation between Taker & HHH. Without that match this past WM would have lost a lot of it's appeal. Think of the really big shows from years past, almost every one had at one or two undercard matches that were heavily promoted, very appealing to fans, almost on par with the actual main event.

Ive said before if you look up atendance figures for WWE and pro wrestling in general you can see a slide starting before 1991. WWE was already in a downturn domestically before Hart realy became the top guy late 92/early 93. Im not a Hart fan, enjoyed his matches, found his character boring and his mic skills average at best, however, it's not like he took over as The Main Guy in 1987 after the massive success of WrestleMania III, with WWE growing exponentially while the NWA was still selling out throughout the south and mid west and all of the sudden business dropped like a boulder off a cliff. WWE and wrestling business in general was in decline before Hart became champ, for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with him. And no one can say that WWE booking was particularly interesting between 93-95, when guys like Papa Shango, Isaac Yankem, and Mabel are your main eventers you have some issues. Fact is if WCW had their act together they would have eclisped the WWE audience back then, but during that same time frame they offered little beyond re hashing old Flair fueds vs Steamboat & Sting.

In retrospect I do think it was a mistake for WWE to turn HBK into a goody too shoes fan fav in 96. Maybe as a tweener fan fav he could have excelled, like Flair in WCW circa 1989, but Vince was not good at promotimng those types of characters. Fact was up until The Attitude Era McMahon and company constantly tried to replicate the Hogan model of a dominant, hero type fan fave champ, although by the mid 90s the twise was they wanted someone who could also deliver a 4 or 5 star match. Hart was good at playing this character, although again I found him a bit boring, just an opinion. HBK (and Kevin Nash as well) were not. They were however both extremely entertaining and charismatic performers who could generate much fan support with only subtle changes to their characters, guys like that are actually great for booking purposes because you dont have to make whole sale changes to their presentation to get them over as heels or faces. Vince & Company however were never really good at that, at least not until the entire promotional philosophy switched post 1996. And that guys is in no way a fault of either Brett, Shawn, Nash, Taker, or anyone else, that falls on creative.

HBK proved his popularity and his ability to draw interest during his post 2002 return, he was definately booked better than he was for much of 95-96, and he was allowed to be a more tweener character, an elder statesman character but one who wasnt kissing babies and helping the elderly cross the street per se. Likewise as a heel HBK was instrumental in the large success of both Royal Rumle 98 and certainly WM 98. To look at one brief period during part of 1996 and say he was never a good draw is insane. That is like saying Hogan couldnt draw because his matches havent elevated TNA numbers that much. That is one small cross section over a short period of time in a much larger career, with a lot of mitigating factors involved.

HBK earned his reputation as a jerk and like Hart was on top of the company during a relatively slow time business wise. It doesnt mean overall that he wasnt a major star attraction. He was a major part of the programming when the company hit it's upswing in late 97 as well lets not forget, as well as his top level fueds that drew well for WWE post 2002. How you are booked has a lot to do with how much you can draw as a main attraction, only absolute legends can continue draw against weak opponents or after lousy booking and it usually takes many years of top level performance prior to that for those guys to establish themselves enough they can pull that off, and only a few ever have. It's just not fair to dismiss either Hart or HBK simply by saying "business wasnt as good then" -- there is alot more to it and much of it really wasnt their fault.

To get back to the OP's original question of why Shawn got so much flack I have to think alot of it has to do with Montreal. Shawn actually being involved in the screwjob and helping orchistrate it really hurt his stock among both wrestlers and wrestling fans.

As for Shawn the problem was more in his positioning as a babyface for the title run than anything. The "boyhood dream"/faceturn angle came across as cloying and Jose Lothario didn't work as a mentor for him but the problems were sewn all the way back to his first Rumble win in 95. Bret had a great angle the previous year with the "injury" and dual winners, Shawn got first guy to win from #1 but the problems were it was the shortest Rumble with guys every minute and #2 in the Rumble, Davey was the last man with Shawn. Rather than making Shawn the Iron Man of the situation it made Davey Boy an equal contender and it was only half an hour, so less of an achievement than Flair had made from #3.

So Shawn was positioned "weakly" into WM11 in the most weakly promoted title match to that date. Sid in his corner didn't help him and the loss to Diesel, and the rest of the years shenanigans with Marines and fake head traumas from Owen just reinforced that Shawn was a bit of a wuss when compared to the new, tougher guys coming in like Steve Austin or Bret who had previously always wrestled "hurt", even in storyline
I always felt the WWE messed up with how Shawn won each Rumble. Why give Shawn the crazy push of winning the RUmble as the #1 entrant only to have him lose his title match? He should have won as #1 in 96 to make him look like a legit threat to Bret in the iron an match. Hell, they could have even used that Rumble to turn Shawn from heel to face. I could imagine alot of fans getting behind Shawn if you have him win that Rumble in 96 at #1 while competing as a face throughout that match.

Bret envisioned a feud that would simmer and boil, as though these two were destined to be intertwined. I think that would have been the classic of all classic rivalries.

Sadest thing about the whole feud is when hear Bret talking about how he had an idea for them to work either a best of 5 series or a best of 7 series spread out over the end of the 90s.

Starts with Shawn beating him at WM12, Bret wins the return at WM13 and the next match at Summerslam and after that it goes back and forth until one final match when the series is tied up at either 3-3 with Shawn winning that for Bret's swansong.

People forget that Bret was looking to retire anyway around the year 2000 in the WWF, he said it in interviews back then that he would only last a few more years, he said it in his book that that was his plan (Owen was going to retire around the same time) and he envisioned that 20 year deal as being a way of him staying with the WWF in some capacity as an ambassador, road agent or whatever but being off the active roster. But he has said he always knew he'd be putting Shawn over in the end because Shawn was the younger guy who was supposed to take over from him eventually.

I think that's why Montreal stung so hard for him, it was actually taking this entire future he had mapped out for himself, tossing it away and stamping on a legacy he had built up through sheer determination and match quality.

Let's examine the term 'draw' for a minute. In early times of wrestling, from the beginning of wrestling promotions, it was all about what was made at the gate, the venue or arena. When Gorgeous George (and possibly a few others before him, maybe not) television played a role and helped. TV broadcasts of wrestling was in its infancy not too sophisticated but still it helped get the word out. In the 70s to eighties televised events grew in prominence. The territory system was around earlier than this point, (more than likely the 50s and 60s if not earlier). Many did quite well at this point. The 80s saw the emergence of the developed wrestling tv program and PPV began to take hold. The mega events had happened before but now the right to sell it on PPV took hold. Now in the eighties television is more sophisticated, ratings system is established, targeting demographics comes in to effect and the advertising around those wrestling shows becomes an important source of revenue. Merchandising starts in the eighties and it's huge. Everything from posters to toys have a wrestler's likeness and brings in money that way. As this period (nineties to now) comes, we have the internet as another source of revenue for wrestling promoters. If my time of events is off, (I'm sure it will be) I apologize. The point is some performers can bring in revenue in different ways. Some are solely the gate, others are just good for tv, ppv, merchandising etc. From what I know, I could be wrong, HBK may have been good at selling merchandise, but as as tv ratings, buyrates and the gate he performed poorly. Those four areas are of huge importance to WWE and many other sports promotion businesses.

In addition, as mentioned before, his politicking really hurt him. If any of it is true, (I believe it is) not only did he stop pushes, he used his closeness to Vince as a means to intimidate other persons and their jobs. If that wasn't enough, add to that you have the Screwjob and there was just no way to respect this guy. Bret was a really loved person irregardless of his character, in the lockerroom and by the fans, and any one who had an active part in that event, lost the respect of a lot of people.

He may have recovered from that, to some degree with his wrestling appearances with regards to a number of people, but there are others who will never have anything but hate for him.

Shawn's heat comes from his drawing power, his unwillingness to put people over, his backstage politics...

AAAAAAAAAAAAND

He and his crew did a lot of terrible things backstage to people who are pretty well respected in the industry. Vader, Bam Bam Bigelow, Chris Candido, Bret Hart...those are guys who were pretty well liked. Those types of things haunted HBK's legacy.

He may have recovered from that, to some degree with his wrestling appearances with regards to a number of people, but there are others who will never have anything but hate for him.

It's probably true that there are a lot of people, including former and current wrestlers, who hate Michaels' guts. I hated his guts for the longest time, starting in 1996 right through to about 2003. It really wasn't until he and Bret hugged it out in the middle of the ring, and put the past behind them, that I finally was able to say how much I admired the guy. He was on the path towards redemption long before, when he staged his miraculous comeback against the odds. However much I admired him for his renewed passion and spirit, though, I could never quite get behind him as a person. Him and Bret patching it up was the final piece in Shawn Michaels' rehabilitation. Shawn finally showed true humility at that point, and accepted his role in the whole sordid mess of the Screwjob and the bitter feud with Bret. Again, if anyone hasn't seen the Rivalries DVD, they need to watch this compelling interview session between these two legends.

Actually I still don't like Michaels now and here's why, I think he's a phoney

Ever read his book? It's wall to wall bullshit and this is in the time he claims to be born again and ready to confront his sins (in his book he actually says he thinks Bret deserves what happened to him, not exactly the talk of a Christian).

People say in the Rivalries dvd it's like he can't remember things cause of the drugs, I say he doesn't want to admit to things because he knows how bad they were.

All in all I think he's a sham who was over-rated in the 90s and was lucky enough to come back from an injury to reclaim some part of his name in the 00s.

He's not the greatest wrestler ever, he's not the best in the ring, he's not the best on the mic and he's overhyped by his fans. That's honestly what I thnk of HBK and that's leaving aside his personal problems.

Actually I still don't like Michaels now and here's why, I think he's a phoney

Ever read his book? It's wall to wall bullshit and this is in the time he claims to be born again and ready to confront his sins (in his book he actually says he thinks Bret deserves what happened to him, not exactly the talk of a Christian).

Hes not a phoney. Thats ridiculous you say this. He clearly turned his life around and attempts to be a good man. He said Bret should have dropped the belt.....and a lot of people think he should have. Im glad to hear you have lived such a perfect life that you can judge his christianity.

People say in the Rivalries dvd it's like he can't remember things cause of the drugs, I say he doesn't want to admit to things because he knows how bad they were.

He also agrees with what Bret says about him and apologizes....again

All in all I think he's a sham who was over-rated in the 90s and was lucky enough to come back from an injury to reclaim some part of his name in the 00s.

Overrated in the 90s? 92-98 saw one of the best runs a wrestler has ever put together. HBK in 97 is untouchable, no body from any time frame was as good in the ring. Reclaim some of his name? If that means solidifying himself as the best ever, then I agree.

He's not the greatest wrestler ever, he's not the best in the ring, he's not the best on the mic and he's overhyped by his fans. That's honestly what I thnk of HBL and that's leaving aside his personal problems.

No hes just hated on by you because your a biased Bret fan. In the late 90s you were a Shawn guy or a Bret guy. Now most of those who are Shawn fans look at Bret objectivly and most of those who are Bret fans look at Shawn onjectivley.....you simply root for your guy and blindly hate everything about Shawn. Hell Shawn and Bret even put it behind them, themselves.

Shawn was coming off a great heel run when he got into the boyhood dream deal. It was a good thing when he was chasing the title, but I believe his act got stale with the fans (especially males) real quick. He was putting on great matches, but i wonder if it wasn't all the gyrating and prancing that did him in a way. I could be wrong, but I think the fans wanted a badass champion after a while. Sid got a huge pop in NY when he won the title from Shawn. That was definitely a Sid crowd. Shawn is my favorite all time, but he didn't draw as a champion. I don't think there is any arguing that. Bret didn't draw all that well either, but I believe he did well overseas and definitely out drew Shawn. I am sure NWO had something to do with it but he was champ for months before the NWO. I always would have liked to see how his run would have been as a heel champion during that time.

Shawn was coming off a great heel run when he got into the boyhood dream deal. It was a good thing when he was chasing the title, but I believe his act got stale with the fans (especially males) real quick. He was putting on great matches, but i wonder if it wasn't all the gyrating and prancing that did him in a way. I could be wrong, but I think the fans wanted a badass champion after a while. Sid got a huge pop in NY when he won the title from Shawn. That was definitely a Sid crowd. Shawn is my favorite all time, but he didn't draw as a champion. I don't think there is any arguing that. Bret didn't draw all that well either, but I believe he did well overseas and definitely out drew Shawn. I am sure NWO had something to do with it but he was champ for months before the NWO. I always would have liked to see how his run would have been as a heel champion during that time.

I don't know that they needed Shawn to be badass but they definitely did want him to be the dumb babyface he became. It was terrible.

Go back and watch when he comes to the ring and listen to the announcers singing his praises, him hugging fans, high fiving, getting little girls into the ring with him, etc. Vince finally found a way to be a MORE vanilla babyface than eat your vitamins and say your prayers Hulk Hogan.

It was really hard to like him as a character.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant do you think that when Michaels gets blamed for the slide in business by his peers and co-workers do you think its because of the way he was, or the circumstances surround the WWF as a whole (lame angles, no established main-eventers, better competition, nWo angle, established WWF guys in WCW). I agree the boyhood dream angle was good for the match itself and the lead-up, but right after WM12 they should have got rid of Jose and let him go off on his own. Turning him into a vanilla, white meat babyface was not a good direction for him, and I remember one of the first angles they did was Michaels being a womanizer. Supposedly he was trying to get with Diana Smith and I remember he wrestled HHH and he was trying to pick up his valet. A woman stealing womanizer seems to contradict the role model babyface they were trying to portray and it was corny.

Also in the 1997 shoot interview where Michaels crossed lines he said the WWF did the best business in 6 years while he was champ, Vince agreed in the segment, and even in Bret's book he agreed with that, so business couldn't have been that bad overall.

I actually LOL when i hear that shawn michaels dint have a good roster to wrestle when he was champion. Vader, Sid, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Austin, Ahmed Johnson, Faarooq, Owen Hart, British Bulldog. Is this not a good enough roster? The shawn fans just give excuses to cover up the fact that he was a worst draw.

I actually LOL when i hear that shawn michaels dint have a good roster to wrestle when he was champion. Vader, Sid, Undertaker, Mankind, Triple H, Austin, Ahmed Johnson, Faarooq, Owen Hart, British Bulldog. Is this not a good enough roster? The shawn fans just give excuses to cover up the fact that he was a worst draw.

Vader was horribly misused. Mankind, Triple H, and Austin all had not reached main event status yet. Taker was also a face. While talented, Owen wasnt a big draw and HBK had already had a program with him. Ahmed Johnson, Ron Simmons, and Sid???....Really?, that made me lol

The whole argument of Shawn Michaels not drawing is do to the rise of WCW and the roster being weak. Many have stated that if Shawn wasnt as good as he was that it would be scary to see the state they would have been in.

Shawn Michaels was a great athlete and a phenominal in-ring performer. But he was never a huge draw. He was just not that entertaining and he sure as hell couldn't talk the fans into the seats like Dusty Rhodes, Billy Graham, Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold could.

For the better of the 2 years before Shawn Michaels finally became champion, he was busy continuously burying talent and destorying the careers of up and coming stars. So what happens when Kevin Nash and Scott Hall leave for WCW and Bret Hart takes a break? Suddenly Shawn Micahels has no one to work with. His own fault if anything. Maybe if he had let more wrestlers become bigger stars, he'd have someone to work with.

He did briefly feud with Mankind, who was a believable main eventer abd a threat. It was a good feud too. Didn't draw though.
Then he was moved on to feud with Vader, which again could have been good. But since Michaels was still a dick at the time, that didn't work out.
Then ofcourse WWE had Owen Hart abd British Bulldog, who was over that time. But maybe (I'm just guessing here) Michaels didn't want to work with them.

Anyway, speaking of having no main event stars.. Talk about the WWE roster when Stone Cold first won the WWE title. Undertaker was the only legit main eventer besdies Austin. Not only was he face, but was in the middle of another intense feud. Yet Austin drew, and how!

Sid was a draw and was a credible opponent for Shawn. He was over.

The problem wasn't that HBK didn't have good wrestlers to work with, the problem was that people didn't care about HBK. I also don't want to hear that he wasn't entertaining. Yikes. I agree he wasn't Dusty, Flair or Hogan on the mic, but he was definitely entertaining when he got to play the character he knew how to be.

Vince was just behind the times. Letting HBK be an edgy cool face would have been a draw. Milk and cookie babyfaces were done.

Edit: Also left off, the man acted like a stripper. Male audiences are supposed to get behind a champion that prances like a male stripper for the ladies and then kisses kids and babies?

Shawn michaels was just not that good. It is that simple. After hulk hogan left wwf dint have anyone to pick up the ball and run with it. Bret hart tried then kevin nash tried then shawn michaels tried. None of them could do it. Atleast bret was okay. The other 2 sucked at it. Then only stone cold could do it.

Shawn Michaels wasn't a great draw. Neither was Bret Hart. No one during that time period was. As others here have pointed out, if you go back to early 90's, there was a gradual decline in the wrestling business that by 1993 and completely bottomed out. If you are so inclined, you can go back to the World Champions after Hulk Hogan and trace the decline business to them.

The fact that Vince McMahon himself orchestrated the contract for Bret Hart to sign with WCW tells us alot. In 1997, Bret Hart turned 40 years old. By this time, Bret Hart was no longer even the little bit of a draw he was from 1992-1995. Vince realized this and got out of Bret's contract, after signing Bret to this mega contract just the year previous. Fact is, Bret wasn't drawing anywhere near the level to justify his monster contract in which he was making double what was the 2nd highest salary that the other main eventers were making at that time. If Bret was drawing or making the company money in merchandise, there is no way Vince would have orchestrated Bret signing with WCW.

This doesn't even take into account that Bret was 100% dead against the Attitude Era. He didn't like the direction the company was going. But this was just the direction that society and television in general was going. Bret was behind with the times. If Vince had listened to Bret, the Attitude Era would have never taken place and WWF would likely be out of business today. It wasn't only the content that Bret didn't like, but he also couldn't deal with the fact that he was no longer Vince McMahon's number one guy. That guys like Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin got over while being edgy, interesting characters that were setting new trends every single week.

The biggest revelation that came out of the "Greatest Rivalries" DVD was that for the first time ever, Bret Hart actually accepted part of the blame for the situation. For 14 years, he would have you believe that he was the innocent victim in this situation. While it was an ugly situation, no one involved was 100% innocent. Everyone played a part in it.

Forgot to mention...

Earlier in this thread someone said they felt that HBK should have told Vince that his "boyhood dream" storyline leading up to WM 12 was not good. Well, he did. If you watched HBK's "My Journey" DVD that was released in 2010, Shawn said in one of the segments that he felt they should have went in another direction leading up to WM 12. Vince obviously felt differently. So, Shawn knew that was a corny storyline, but there was nothing he could do about it. Not even Shawn got everything he wanted.

Forgot to mention...

Earlier in this thread someone said they felt that HBK should have told Vince that his "boyhood dream" storyline leading up to WM 12 was not good. Well, he did. If you watched HBK's "My Journey" DVD that was released in 2010, Shawn said in one of the segments that he felt they should have went in another direction leading up to WM 12. Vince obviously felt differently. So, Shawn knew that was a corny storyline, but there was nothing he could do about it. Not even Shawn got everything he wanted.

I agree that they should have killed that angle AFTER the match, but leading up to it I thought the Rocky-style vignettes were pretty cool and it changed the perception on Shawn a little bit to more of a serious wrestler who wanted that title and was willing to train hard as hell to get it. If they got rid of Jose and that angle after Mania it would have worked better. I remember they were still using Jose through Survivor Series 1996 and Royal Rumble 1997, which was overkill.

Shawn Michaels wasn't a great draw. Neither was Bret Hart. No one during that time period was. As others here have pointed out, if you go back to early 90's, there was a gradual decline in the wrestling business that by 1993 and completely bottomed out. If you are so inclined, you can go back to the World Champions after Hulk Hogan and trace the decline business to them.

The fact that Vince McMahon himself orchestrated the contract for Bret Hart to sign with WCW tells us alot. In 1997, Bret Hart turned 40 years old. By this time, Bret Hart was no longer even the little bit of a draw he was from 1992-1995. Vince realized this and got out of Bret's contract, after signing Bret to this mega contract just the year previous. Fact is, Bret wasn't drawing anywhere near the level to justify his monster contract in which he was making double what was the 2nd highest salary that the other main eventers were making at that time. If Bret was drawing or making the company money in merchandise, there is no way Vince would have orchestrated Bret signing with WCW.

This doesn't even take into account that Bret was 100% dead against the Attitude Era. He didn't like the direction the company was going. But this was just the direction that society and television in general was going. Bret was behind with the times. If Vince had listened to Bret, the Attitude Era would have never taken place and WWF would likely be out of business today. It wasn't only the content that Bret didn't like, but he also couldn't deal with the fact that he was no longer Vince McMahon's number one guy. That guys like Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin got over while being edgy, interesting characters that were setting new trends every single week.

The biggest revelation that came out of the "Greatest Rivalries" DVD was that for the first time ever, Bret Hart actually accepted part of the blame for the situation. For 14 years, he would have you believe that he was the innocent victim in this situation. While it was an ugly situation, no one involved was 100% innocent. Everyone played a part in it.

I have to disagree somewhat. The Canada vs USA angle really picked up steam for the WWF and the crowds became more boisterous, they had good house show business, and ratings picked up. It wasn't so much of Bret not being a draw anymore as it was Bret wasn't behind the direction of the company so Vince wouldn't have been using him as a top guy which wouldn't justify that huge contract. Plus Vince wanted to go public and having long-term obligations like that wouldn't have helped his cause, and it helped him to bring in Tyson which sent the WWF thru the roof. Bret could always get big box offices in Europe which Shawn couldn't, especially with the Canada angle.

I do agree that when Shawn turned heel with DX it did take a lot of the Hart Foundation's steam. i remember thru mid-1997 it was all about the Hart Foundation... Austin and Michaels were feuding with them that whole period.

The USA/Canada angle was a good one. Never said it wasn't. But it didn't do much in the way of business for the company. It may have increased ratings, but if it did, it was a very slight increase. The entire year of 1997 Raw never once beat Nitro in the ratings. Not even once. So, it's not like it did great business. And that storyline involved a number of different main eventers, not just Bret. Austin and HBK teamed up against their will to take on the Hart Foundation. As far as ratings and business go, WCW kept humming along during this time period and never missed a beat.

If Bret was drawing ratings and making the company alot of money, Vince McMahon would have not have served Bret up on a sliver platter for WCW to sign. Vince has never done this with another wrestler in the history of his career. And this was at a time when WWF was still getting destroyed in the ratings. That shows you what he thought of Bret as a draw in 1997.

The drawing in Europe thing is nice. But the WWF went there once a year, if that. So, the fact that the Hart Foundation drew there is what it is. One guy is from another country, and the rest of the main eventers are from America. When we talk about drawing crowds and money, we're talking about America, where WWF held 99% of their shows.

HBK and Bret Hart aren't to blame for the ratings tanking and the business failing. They did what they could and unfortunately they were competing against Hogan and WCW. That's tough competition for any one to beat.

HBK and Vince McMahon saying the company earned more money with HBK as champ than it had in the 6 years is bullshit. It's a lie. Vince would not admit in front of a Raw audience that the company did worse. Vince will never admit to any one, the company is doing poorly. Look at the ratings, buyrates and the gate (ticket sales at arenas) during HBK's reign and I promise you, HBK did worse than Bret. HBK came off a great WM match vs Bret and he couldn't deliver. HBK had the tools, and should have been a huge success but he just didn't make that kind of impact. He was an American and he couldn't draw any one from his neighbourhood to watch him at an arena or television.

Bret was ok but not the same degree as Hogan, The Rock, Austin Or Triple H. He had some tools, but he just couldn't deliver the numbers. I think if Hogan had done the job for him, it might have given him the momentum, but we'll never know for certain.

The USA/Canada angle was a good one. Never said it wasn't. But it didn't do much in the way of business for the company. It may have increased ratings, but if it did, it was a very slight increase. The entire year of 1997 Raw never once beat Nitro in the ratings. Not even once. So, it's not like it did great business. And that storyline involved a number of different main eventers, not just Bret. Austin and HBK teamed up against their will to take on the Hart Foundation. As far as ratings and business go, WCW kept humming along during this time period and never missed a beat.

If Bret was drawing ratings and making the company alot of money, Vince McMahon would have not have served Bret up on a sliver platter for WCW to sign. Vince has never done this with another wrestler in the history of his career. And this was at a time when WWF was still getting destroyed in the ratings. That shows you what he thought of Bret as a draw in 1997.

The drawing in Europe thing is nice. But the WWF went there once a year, if that. So, the fact that the Hart Foundation drew there is what it is. One guy is from another country, and the rest of the main eventers are from America. When we talk about drawing crowds and money, we're talking about America, where WWF held 99% of their shows.

I'm not saying the angle did anything to lead them past WCW, but the ratings, buy rates, and gates did increase during that period. Bret the Hitman Hart was the leader of the top heel stable and was working every night with the top faces either in matches or promos when he hurt his knee. The angle was working to give the WWF a rebound effect, but nothing that could be considered fantastic. No matter who was in that spot they were not going to compete with the cutting edge nWo and all of Vince's established guys parading in the WCW.

Vince, being a businessman first, weighed his options... Bret was a valuable commodity to him still, he said himself he didn't want to let him go even after the fact, but didn't feel his salary would match the plans he had for him as he was not for attitude and probably would have done everything in his power to fight against it, and Shawn and Austin were going to be top dogs. Bret didn't want to budge on the money which I don't blame him, and WCW pretty much had a lotto ticket waiting for him. Bret couldn't stand Michaels we all know this and it ate away at him that Shawn was favored by Vince more and was pushed and listened to more.

Also, in late 1997 WWE was extremely close to being liquified. In such a time, paying Bret Hart so much would be stupid unless he was a Hogan type draw, which he was not. Especially considering the fact that Shawn Michaels, Undertaker and eventually even Stone Cold would expect a similar sallary.

Bret's ability to draw had nothing to do with why Vince wanted out of his contract. The WWF was about to go public and as part of that Vince wanted to clear the long term liabilities (accounting term, not liability as in sucks) off the books to raise the valuation of the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back