• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Problem Is....

Why can't Del Rio get over?

• Look

• Character

• Name

• Microphone Skills

Results are only viewable after voting.

2Sweet_4Life

Oasis Rule the World.
The problem with Alberto Del Rio,is just that-his name.

The second I heard him announced on TV my immediate thought was could you ever see that name headlining Wrestlemania-simply no.
Names are so important in wrestling I think that's why Dolph Ziggler has had trouble getting over and wrestlers such as Michael Mcgillicutty couldn't get over and Skip Sheffield.
Alberto Del Rio vs Dolph Ziggler doesn't sound appealing but it looks appealing as they're both good in the ring but the names just sound terrible so I think that's the main reason why they cant get over.

But people will disagree with me im sure, so what do you think the problem is for Del Rio?

Mic skills, Name, Look, Character?

His name? Seriously?? That's why you think he's not been able to get over on the level that WWE was hoping? I'm not exactly sure what, if anything, is wrong with the guy's name. While I'm hardly any sort of expert on Mexican names, the name sounds real to me, unlike the names most wrestlers use.

I think it's ultimately a combination of things that have limited Del Rio. I think one of his biggest obstacles is that he has some genuine trouble with English. Sometimes, unless you really listen hard to what he's saying, the thick accent he has makes it difficult to understand what he's saying. As far as his look goes, what's wrong with it? He's a 6'5" 235 pound, good looking 36 year old man with a strong & athletic build. There are wrestlers on the WWE roster with, cosmetically, a far worse look than Del Rio but are significantly more popular than he is.

I think another problem is that, all in all, his mic skills aren't top notch. The first 6-12 months, I thought he did just fine until all of his promos started to sound exactly alike. He talked about the same things in exactly the same style. Not that there's necessarily anything the matter with that, but it just got monotonous. There's only so many times you can hear his "greatest of the great" and "destiny" speeches, or hear him go on about his wealth or familial history before it just all blends in together.

As far as his character goes, essentially, his character is an amalgam of JBL & The Million Dollar Man. The only real difference is that he's Mexican rather than American. It's one of these characters that's been done in the past and has been done so well by others that it comes off as exactly what it is: an inferior version. Ted DiBiase was, in my opinion, the best heel in wrestling during the late 1980s. His character was a little cartoony at times, like with the maniacal laugh, but he was so much fun that you flat out loved to hate him. Del Rio just isn't able to connect with fans with that type of character; it just doesn't fit him in a way that makes people really want to get hugely excited in him. It'd be like Ted DiBiase chucking the Million Dollar Man gimmick and adopting a biker gimmick like we saw with guys like Taker or the One Man Gang. As hard as he tried, it just wouldn't work for a lot of people.

Because he's ta gratest wwe chumpion off all timez. Nosbody's betterz tan he is!

When your promos sound like that, people are not going to take you seriously.

his mic skills mainly. he lacks the it factor also. he cant connect with the crowd.

he is a spoiled brat, his physique isnt even that impressive..

all he does is fucking kiss vince mcmahon's ass to get to his position.. 3 time world champion, still the fans dont give a shti about him.. just fucking job him out to cm punk already..

I'd have to say his mic skills. He's actually not bad on the mic I just think its the material he's given as well. Very repetitive and it just dosent progress or branch to anything else

to be honest i think the problem is simple hes just not that entertaining hes not boring by any means but i dont think hes a guy that does much to make people want to tune in.his ring anouncer is more popular then him i think that says a fair bit about del rio and to be honest ive just never found the character that intriguing

yes hes won the whc 3 times but i think that means very little they seem to throw that belt at everyone thinking it might be a quick way to put them over it almost seems like a tester belt to see if their worthy of the main wwe title and a main eventer position.the thing is i think del rio just isnt.hes definatly never made me want to shell out for a ppv and i doubt he ever will i just think hes more midcarder material at best upper midcard.

I think his mic skills hurt him, but also Del Rio is a great example of how you can be a great wrestler in the ring but not a great entertainer. If you look at it straight from an athletic standpoint, Del Rio is a role model for technical wrestling. But it takes more than in-ring science to get a WWE crowd behind you.

I liked ADR when he first debuted! A man of Destiny driving cars we can all dream of. When he turned face i never bought it. ADR is strictly a heel and heel only. As to why he cant get over,the only reason i can think of is his mic skills. At times his accent is very hard to understand. His grasp on the English language is tough to understand,but not his fault. I dont buy the fact that its his build he is in incredible shape pretty muscular for someone his age.

I have heard comparisons to the MDM but seriously the Million Dollar Man was one of the best heels ever. ADR is a good heel but not a great one. Losing Ricardo hurts him a lot also. It really dooms his chances of retaining the WHC. I think he needs to go back to driving the cars acting like he is better than everyone. Remind people of how rich he is week in and week out. Dont go as far as trying to buy people off (In todays Era that isnt going to work)but maybe somehow,twine the terrible job market out there and his wealth,he could make fun of the Poor.

To get over with the crowd whether bad or good you gotta hit real life issues at times. ADR has failed to to that. Hes got great Technical ability,but make people really hate him he has not quite done that! Hes a bit of a cornball

I would say booking but the closest option is Character.

I think during his run as a Main Event Heel (2011) two things happened that really hurt him:
1. Edge's retirement, as a consequence Edge was that one that went over at WM27. You build up Del Rio for that long as an arrogant rich aristocratic heel winning the Rumble and headed to WM for a WHC shot. He build up so much heat and only to lose which killed a lot of his heat (that was building up nicely). Add to the fact the month after when Christian beat Del Rio the WHC picture shifted to Orton/Christian, Del Rio ended up doing nothing until he won MITB but ...
2 ... that was the Summer of Punk and Del Rio really looked like an accessory as the WWE Title reign when he was involved in programs with CM Punk, Triple H, and John Cena were getting.

Then ... the Face Turn and this is where The Character part comes in. Since how are we supposed to buy that Del Rio being one of those hardworking Mexican immigrants when they build up him up for over 2 years as this rich aristocratic Mexican with fancy cars and apparently owns plantations in his home country.

I would say booking but the closest option is Character.

I think during his run as a Main Event Heel (2011) two things happened that really hurt him:
1. Edge's retirement, as a consequence Edge was that one that went over at WM27. You build up Del Rio for that long as an arrogant rich aristocratic heel winning the Rumble and headed to WM for a WHC shot. He build up so much heat and only to lose which killed a lot of his heat (that was building up nicely). Add to the fact the month after when Christian beat Del Rio the WHC picture shifted to Orton/Christian, Del Rio ended up doing nothing until he won MITB but ...
2 ... that was the Summer of Punk and Del Rio really looked like an accessory as the WWE Title reign when he was involved in programs with CM Punk, Triple H, and John Cena were getting.

Then ... the Face Turn and this is where The Character part comes in. Since how are we supposed to buy that Del Rio being one of those hardworking Mexican immigrants when they build up him up for over 2 years as this rich aristocratic Mexican with fancy cars and apparently owns plantations in his home country.

dead freaking on. several have already mentioned his booking, his real life accent that sometimes just makes it tough to understand him (mic skills), and compared him to the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase and JBL (and rightfully so!) saying that he just doesn't stack up to 2 of the greatest heels of their respective eras.

but Shooter is the only one that mentioned this really talented performer's awful luck when it comes to timing.

yes, some blame could certainly fall on Alberto Del Rio for his shortcomings or inabilities to connect with certain audience demographics.

still, it's hard not to feel bad for the guy. his big push was halted by the forced and, as such, unplanned retirement of Edge, one of the most beloved superstars of his era. and the fact that it was due to injury as opposed to just wanting to retire or wanting to transition into anything else just added even more affection for Edge. and as Shooter pointed out, the WHC picture didn't turn to Christian/Del Rio or Del Rio/anyone else for more than a single ppv. the picture became Christian/Orton. tough break. and after several months, maybe several months too late, he catches his big moment at Summerslam by cashing in the briefcase and winning the title. but it was entirely overshadowed by the Summer of Punk and his infamous pipebomb.

Alberto Del Rio has had in the past, has today, and very well may have in the future an impossible hill to climb as it relates to connecting with the audience in a more meaningful way than many might have hoped for upon his debut. but with all due respect to the OP, his name is the least of his concerns.

What primarily hurt Alberto Del Rio was the booking - he was one of the hottest things in 2011. His feud with Rey Mysterio was great in late 2010 and we all knew that he was heading to the top. They made him win the Royal Rumble and injury a lot of people, including Kofi Kingston and Christian - he had a strong and interesting booking to this date. However, when WrestleMania 27 came, he should have defeated Edge, well we know that match was doomed to be Edge's last professional wrestling match, but still it would have been a lot better for Del Rio.

After that they never really gave that "idea" that Del Rio ended Edge's career. If he had won, people would have bought that a lot easier, but still they didn't capitalize on that. He had another shot, this time against Christian in a great ladder match, which Del Rio lost yet again. You see the problem already? A guy that comes as the next big thing, that defeats pretty much everyone can't lose when the great things are upon him, because that will take people's interest in his character. But the worst was yet to come - he won Money In The Bank, started to get more heat by defeating Big Show and Kane in singles action and successfully cash-in at SummerSlam on CM Punk. His first title reign was his WWE Championship, and that didn't last long as he was no longer a TV draw, and back to Cena the championship goes, only to Del Rio to capture it a few weeks later.

His second reign was already a disaster even before it started, he didn't had a proper first title reign and we were know doomed to be without our champion thanks to his VISA problems. CM Punk won the championship and Del Rio just died right there. He was always put in uppercard to main event positions, but people didn't care anymore thanks to those two awful title reigns he had. I can't even remember a promo or something like that with Del Rio has WWE Champion, he didn't had the proper booking so people doomed him as a failure and that's what he was.

I enjoyed his face turn and his later work, but he will never be one of my favorites again. His character was so misused that he isn't even rich anymore. He has no segments that I will remember in a few years, he doesn't have that "match" that will make him standout (maybe the Rumble match) as a great champion or a believable contender to anyone. He needs some sort of change, like getting rid of Ricardo and starting a feud over it (Ricardo is loved by the people no doubt). He needs to showcase his wealth, he needs a proper angle and to me, he needs to go back to the midcard to challenge for the Intercontinental Championship.

I don't think the problem is his name. It's easy to say and remember, and his personal announcer was certainly able to get the audience chanting it. If anything, his name was a plus as an audience participation schtick.

The problem is that much of the live crowd at a Raw or Smackdown event aren't truly fans of pro wrestling. They like the pyrotechnics, the pageantry .....and quick matches with high flying tactics and a finisher they can "ooh and ahh" for. They don't understand an old-style technician who knows how to work a match skillfully. Whether a heel or face, Del Rio's work is methodical and precise.....which are things casual fans don't go for.

The factor that surprises me is how many "real" fans on this forum don't care for it, either. I would've thought they'd appreciate solid workmanship in the ring. I figured wrestling "purists" would go for him. Some do, of course.

Plus, there's the usual argument: how do we define "getting over?" Whose definition do we use; our own....or Vince McMahon's? Obviously, it's his opinion that counts when it comes to creating a roster, but it seemed ADR was getting over as a good guy. I figure they turned him bad again only because Dolph Ziggler was going face and heels were needed to battle him, so ADR went over to the dark side again.

At any rate, Del Rio's character is as established as it's ever going to get. Those who don't like him never will, I suppose.

But it's not because of his name.

This is an interesting topic because I can't put my finger on exactly what the problem is. I think it's a little bit of all of the above but mainly mic skills. I like him in the ring but I just can't get serious about his character. When he was feuding with Punk, Cena, Edge, Swagger, I'd always just laugh when he talked no matter how serious he was trying to be. He's not horrible on the mic but he's not good enough. He could be a Mexican badass. Instead, he came across as dope when he was a heel and even worse as a face.

Also, regarding his character, there's no direction. First he was a Mexican Aristocrat. Fine. That could have worked. But he really didn't play it up all that much, other than the fancy cars. How about doing some video promos of him living lavishly sitting poolside at a mansion or something? How about videos of him throwing money off of his balcony to "peasants" below or something? That would have really built up the Mexican aristocrat character. Instead, he just drove fancy cars to the ring.

Now, he's just like a Mexican guy, as a face, with no real gimmick. He's not a lucha libre wrestler so what is his gimmick? Seriously.

There should have been an other, or even better, charisma. Because while I enjoy an Alberto Del Rio match myself, he's boring as hell in every other way. When the best part of your act, wrestling not included, is your ring announcer, you've got some major problems.

Whatever charisma is, Del Rio lacks it sorely. He can do all the hand gesturing and vocal inflection he likes, I simply find him boring and unappealing. For some time, I looked forward to seeing him. When he debuted and made Rey Mysterio tap out(which I can only remember Brock Lesnar doing prior), I wanted to see more. He main-evented his first television show, even though Smackdown, and made one of the top guys at the time that had been World Champion just a month prior tap out. That's one heck of a debut, and when he was chosen to "injure" Christian, who had recently come off a phenomenal ECW Title reign and moved to Smackdown, I wanted to see more.

Unfortunately for Del Rio, that seemed to be the glass ceiling in some ways. Everyone, at this point, was singing his praises. Then he got weekly promo time, and for awhile, it wasn't bad. It was just repetitive. Not so much repetitive in the form of repeating 'destiny' week in and out, but he displayed little range. Anger, happiness, frustration, or arrogance, he came off the same. Further, his promos almost felt like a 'wink, wink' type thing, as if saying, "This isn't really who I am." There's always the possibility that it's his English, because I truly believe that if Sin Cara wasn't a walking highlight reel of botches, he still would struggle to connect with the audience because of his English, and his mask, to a lesser degree. After all, Rey Mysterio has done fine.

Further, it's a gimmick, the rich self-indulgent man with men as his servants/on his payroll that's been done before, and done much better. Ted DiBiase Sr., aka the Million Dollar Man, was, in my opinion, the greatest heel of all time, so that's impossible to follow. But he generates less heat then JBL did, who, like ADR used to, employed a right-hand man and drove a car in to every show. And ADR is a far better wrestler then JBL.

Finally, and the jury is out on this one until it happens, but he's hard to take seriously because of his poor winning percentage, as most people see he loses a lot. But the bigger problem has been, in my opinion, the length of his title reigns. While DiBiase Sr. never won a WWF Title, he was so good as a heel and a constant threat that it didn't matter. JBL created great heat in the way the Honky Tonk man did, and that's he kept retaining the WWE Title(like HTM did the IC) by any means possible. As a heel, in his only two non-gimmick single's defenses, he lost, and worse, he tapped out. That severely damaged his 'rich character', because his character should be able to pay off other heels to interfere, like Paul Heyman did for CM Punk with the Shield. Transitional champions like Del Rio lose a lot of traction, and further, it becomes not about them. He becomes a man simply to drop the title to someone else, without making another Superstar do the deed. Punk beat Cena two PPV's in a row for titles, but when Del Rio took it from Punk via Money In The Bank, Cena made him tap out in his first defense. When he lost it to Punk, WWE didn't want Punk losing to Cena, so they had Cena lose it to Del Rio in triple threat cage match. His first non-gimmick defense? He tapped to Punk. When it counts, Del RIo has been booked weakly, RR winner or not.

Finally, Del Rio as a face was a flop, which hurts him even worse. I liked the longer title reign, but would have preferred it with him as a heel, even giving him a clean win, which he rarely gets in any case against upper-echelon competition, heel or face. When WWE doesn't present him as someone who can win at all, cleanly or otherwise against top competition, then why should I see him as such? He couldn't even get a clean win over Sin Cara on Raw, for goodness sakes.

But no, it's not his name. There have been worse that have been much, much more successful. Dolph Ziggler's is far worse and champion or not, hes far more credible.

The short answer is lack of character.

He's not the most charismatic guy, but that's what Ricardo is for and he has enough to get the job done. The real issue is he's a 1 note character, he's a rich Mexican and that's where it begins and ends for him. The Million Dollar Man was a rich American but his gimmick had so much more depth and levity than Del Rio's. You would often see Dibiase do things like pay to use a pool for a day, pay people to do demeaning things, pay giants and referee's so he could get his prize, he often did things outside the ring that really made people hate him.

What has Del Rio done to really make him hated, the first week he drove out in fancy cars and had his own ring announcer. Both things are awesome don't get me wrong but how was that ever built on? It's a good starting point no question but it has to be built on as well. Del Rio is very sound across the board, he's not great on the mic but he's not horrendous either, his in ring work is good from a technical standpoint but if the character is 1 dimensional people stop caring which makes everything else seem that much worse.

I think all of Del Rio's issues (and a lot of characters in WWE for that matter) can be fixed by adding more depth to his character. Change it up from time to time but try new things, do something different. Del Rio as a heel has always had a great base but it was never really built on. All they did was lay the foundation for Del Rio's character, they never took the time to build anything on that.

Usually I would be annoyed at everyone throwing out cheap excuses as to why they think someone isn't getting over. However, I think you ALL are in the right direction. Whatever the reason may be that ADR has struggled to get fans to care one way or another, is something relatively simplistic. And personally, I think it's his thick accent. He's got everything else going for him. The douche-bag character, the props (past and present), the accolades, the swagger, the lineage, the look, the comfort on the mic, and the believability. The only thing he doesn't have is a clear, concise, way to get his message across to the live crowds. Usually when he gives a speech, every sentence is filtered in our brains and we translate it into an American saying it OR we make that "squinty face" look as if it'll help us understand what he's saying better. By the half-second or so it takes to fully understand some of the words he's saying, the manner in which he said it is completely lost on us.

I feel sorry for the guy because he has all the tools to be as memorable and legendary as they've been pushing him, yet his inability to speak "clear" english seems to be holding him back.

I chose 'character' because I think Del Rio simply lacks a combination of an interesting character & the "It" factor. Like everyone else has pretty much already said, Del Rio has almost all the essentials to be a fantastic & complete WWE Superstar. Del Rio get's it done inside the ropes & almost never has a bad match but I was never invested in the performer or the character much to begin with & now after switching back & forth from heel to babyface & back again the current Del Rio character just feels old & stale to me. I think he works as a 3rd or 4th player in the World Heavyweight Title picture very well but as one of the two main focuses or in the WWE Title picture he seems out of place & like he doesn't belong in the same class of an all around WWE performer. Alberto Del Rio is basically my definition of a good tansitional Champion.

The shock factor for Del Rio's heel turn wore off after the attack at Payback. When he showed up the next night on Raw, we just saw the same old heel we had seen before the face turn: the rich, snobbish Mexican aristocrat, who wears fancy suits. Nothing really changed, and Del Rio cut the same promo we've all heard a thousand times over. It was a deflating sight to see Del Rio come out and repeat the same tired act after a genuinely surprising heel turn.

That's another huge problem with Del Rio: he needs to stay away from any world title pictures for a while. It's only natural for live crowds and all of us to expect more of a wrestler, when he wins a world title. You're not just some guy anymore, you're the man, and front and center in the spotlight. The world champion is suppose to be the best of the best, you expect said wrestler to take everything to the next level, and show more promise. Del Rio hasn't done that yet. He wins the world title, and we just see the same old guy all over again. He got a nice pop after defeating Big Show for the WHC on Smackdown, but his momentum fizzled out pretty quickly, because his act as this fighting foreigner, who achieved the American Dream was stale. Again, even as a face, nothing really changed.

I don't think Del Rio's plateaued just yet, but throwing world titles on him every few months isn't going to help the problem. Give him time to step away from the spotlight WITHOUT a world title, so he can establish himself as a character without tremendous pressure or expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back