The Pope: Would You Miss Him?

Honestly no I wouldn't miss Pope. He has yet to do anything in TNA to really make me give a damn about him. He's a good all around talent yeah but we can't miss what we don't have.

Yeah I think I probably would.

I think of Pope as a potential main eventer. I think he needs some tweaking to his character, but the guy is a great athlete and very solid on the mic. I am surprised TNA haven't done more with him as he did look on the path to being a main event level talent at one point. They just haven't used him as well as they should.

I hope we do see him back on TV soon, and I wouldn't be against him turning up as one of the members of Aces and Eights, I think he could have a great impact as a member of that faction.

Pope's the leader of Aces and Eights!
He's talented and when he does return hopefully TNA will take advantage of it.

Pope's the leader of Aces and Eights!
He's talented and when he does return hopefully TNA will take advantage of it.
That would be awesome. Also unlikely.
But I totally agree with your assessment of the man. I also hope that TNA does something major with this impressive talent. Great moves, great promos. How could you ask for more? Once upon a time, TNA saw the value of Ron Killings (who I love) and I think Pope is even better. One can hope the people who run TNA these days see what I see.

If Pope leaves tomorrow I would be bit shocked but it's TNA. He may come back at some point in the future. For me I liked the Pope since his days on the "runny eggs full of snot McMahon ECW", till current Impact Wrestling of today. In my personal experience with watching him go in the ring, promo's, and storylines; TNA invested in him for a good amount of time. Though I do believe why the Pope is not being used as much since his huge push in '08-'09 and why TNA kinda pushed him on the side in after LockDown in 2010.

I remember back when Hulk Hogan first showed up, he was on a local radio station in Orlando talking about the different wrestlers on the roster. Now to say the least he wasn't very high on the Pope even though he gained a lot of momentom going into LockDown; being that A.J. Styles was the heel at the time. Which kinda pissed me off cause the Pope was pretty hot commodity and so called "wrestling fans" were really dumping on TNA for the fear of becoming another WCW. They improved it since then. So after the loss, the booking team really pushed him back. The lame ass storyline with D-Von and the bit head scratching feud with Samoa Joe. Quite similar what happen with Hardcore Holly and Brock Lesner feud in '03.

Now a way to book him back into the spotlight again? With Impact Wrestling what would seem good on paper; it's hard to pull off in front of an audience.

1) Go old school. Have Pope interfere into lower to upper mid card matches for a couple of weeks and make a big match at the next PPV. Attack the faces of course, scared yet cool heels always generate interest. If he showed up today a good place to start would be Samoa Joe or RVD.

2) Name change. Pope D' Angelo Dinero is too long of a name to remember and kinda silly. It's like a mix between a New Orleans pimp and a preacher at a Baptist Church. A lot of fans won't get the character reference. Similar to "Stunning" Steve Williams or Rocky "The Rock" Maivia. Which turned into Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. I mean keep it basic and "The Pope" sounds easy to remember and very laid back.

3) Pope should really watch the booking team this time around because a lot of new faces are rising up and a rotating/shifting roster can be damaging to a career. Samoa Joe was very vocal about that for a few years.

That is some for right now, so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back