• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The pointlessness of the Draft

Fisheatppl

Pre-Show Stalwart
It has been occuring to me over the last few months, that overall, the draft was a waste. Now it hasn't been all that long, but the point is to create "new, fresh fueds and story lines". We've got Orton vs. Christian that has already seemed like a year long fued, but it is new and comparatively fresh. And we've got Mark Henry acting like he should have for the last 15 years. Oh and the Sin Cara and Daniel Bryan team.

After moving to Raw, we still, and apparently will forever see Kofi vs. Ziggler. Rey Mysterio seems to be in everything Alberto Del Rio does. Del Rio vs. Big Show could have been done on Smackdown without them moving. Its a matter of time before Shaemus vs. Orton (probably a month). Cena vs. Punk was done before, not as long or nearly as good as now, and it is a fresh story line, but nothing to do with the draft.

Granted some of the fueds were lines left over from before the draft, but it seems, overall, its business as usual like it was 2 months ago. The only thing that really came out of it was now Smackdown has a top face to hold their title.

Am I overlooking other things or is it just too early to tell?

The problem with the draft sometimes is that they move too many people in it, so you basically get a lot of the same guys on the same show that were together before anyway. That's obviously what happened this year with all those feuds being re-done. Orton vs. Christian is fresh, though; sure, it's getting stale and repetitive at the moment but it came as a result of the draft, and the two had never feuded before. But a lot of the guys who moved have done nothing but wrestle on Superstars, and the important ones seem to largely be in about the same place on the card as they always were, with the exceptions of Henry and Sheamus who had been de-pushed beforehand. But you could probably say the same things about any draft, I suppose.

I would like to see the draft done in the same way the NFL and NBA do it. Draft some no name rookie guys from FCW.

The way the draft is done now is getting old, I miss the days of the GMs picking the wrestlers THEY wanted...not random selection cause that brand won a match.

If it was all done by chance and not done by Vince and be a true draft, it would be more excititing, rather then some lame pre-fabbed get more money from the marks event.

What your forgetting is that the draft wasn't meant to happen when it did, it had been planned for one the June 3 hour RAW's, hense how it turned into a 2 hour show.

The draft it self has kind of an evolution period with different twists to the draft happening the first 4 (2002-2007) now they stuck with the current mold, maybe they need to do something different or get rid of it. The Brand split ran it's course a couple of years back it worked back in 2002, guys like Edge, Lesnar, Cena, Batista & Orton all got to shine because of the split nowadays it's the same guys DOMINATING TV, sure A Ry's and Christian are welcomed additions to the grand scheme of things but over all the split is surplus now.

I think WWE needs to maybe remodel the shows, championships, matches even PPV concepts, I'm certainly not one for re-hashing old storylines but WWE could do with doing a WCW/New Blood storyline create new champions create new concepts have the young bloods literally take over have the older guys try and reclaim their yard so to speak that would storyline would do more good for new talent than some brand split.

My problem with the draft is why have it when they do if they're going to continue the same feuds,that's why i feel it should be moved to either the day after Summerslam or the beginning of January before the Royal Rumble that way we could have a fresh slate and wouldn't have to watch Bourne vs. Swagger or Kingston vs Ziggler seemingly every week

There was a draft this year?! :wtf: LOL. I didnt even notice since all those smackdown rejects have been on every episode of RAW since january! Like seriously. Ive seen ziggler, del rio, big show, Rey, Sin cara, kofi, kane etc for many months before this supposed draft. The only thing i lost was randy orton....and um.... X generic wrestler that wasnt being used on RAW anyway. Like raw lost dead weight like um...ted diabose and um... uhh. Like who the fuck is even on the smackdown roster? LOL.

Isnt smackdown on the verge of being the 3rd rate wrestling show? People bash TNA/Impact Wrestling yet its getting almost better ratings than smackdown! They are soooo close. I cant wait for them to surpase that turd show. Smackdown died when all the wrestlers left. Chavo, eddie, edge, kurt, jericho, brock, benoit all left and smackdown has sucked since then. So 2005-ish if i remember right?

Im sorry but RAW is so lopsided right now. They have all the stars while smackdown is failing hard in ratings and only has randy/christian.

The draft is pointless when all your potential A stars leave the B brand and the B brand gets the A shows left overs who couldnt make it. LOL.

I think that revamping the draft would be the best answer. I think that both sides should have 5 new choices. This way, the moves are highlighted and seem more meaningful.

I think four guys from Raw should go to Smackdown! and vice-versa. Then, the final picks should be from FCW. Little video packages and what have you can be shown throughout the Raw Draft event. Finally, when the pick is made, you can get to know the new guy from each draft. It would give it a fresher look and make it seem as though the picks are actually STAYING on their new brands.

It changed when it became a draft lottery. Memorable drafts to me were Heyman Vs Bischoff and Vince Vs Flair. There was a believability to it, that they were just drawing lots. Now, we get the silly computer graphic and it's fairly obvious that it's rigged. I think there is just something about seeing a real tumbler and balls combined with having a face to make the pics. It gave it added excitement.

You make a valid point but the individuals that you mentioned arent the only people on those brands. Remember that the main reason the draft happened was to give SD some top superstars to replace Edge, and apparently Undertaker who might not be coming back anytime soon. The draft still provided some relief from the old roster and I can assure you the new rivalries are coming. The MITB is going to help bring this about. Oh and we're going to be getting Del Rio vs Cena soon, which is supposed to be promising. Like with everything new WWE does you have to give them some time to adjust to the circumstances.

I don't think the draft was a total waste because it did give SD! a top face champion in Randy Orton. That in itself makes it a success. The only problem I had with the draft was with a guy like Alex Riley being drafted and hasn't even walked down the ramp of a SD! event. The rivalries will come and go. Some will be fresh and some won't be. What I suggest is what someone said earlier. Give each show 5 picks with one being an actual draftee from the minor leagues (FCW/ROH). It would give them a chance to introduce a new Superstar without forcing him/her down our throat week after week (NXT). The champions would stay so it doesn't make the draft awkward or predictable. I think it would make the draft worth watching and make it acutally mean something.

Yeah its almost like saying..........hey the Raw fans haven't seen Kofi vs Ziggler yet..lol

Then Alex Riley got drafted and never left.

To be honest the only good the Draft did was make the SD divas division better and the USO's are doing there thing big time. Drew Mac is done and like you said we keep seeing the same feuds we saw before. SD had a chance to introduce new hungry stars for the world title but instead they gave us Orton

If it was all done by chance and not done by Vince and be a true draft, it would be more excititing, rather then some lame pre-fabbed get more money from the marks event.

If it was all done by chance, I could guarantee some people might be pissed at the results or there would be one brand being one sided. But since you said true draft a true draft should be drafting rookies not trading.

i Believe that the whole Raw Smackdown being seperate in itself is getting old they could put on such great shows if it was back to the old way of everyone wrestling everywhere use the main show for guys like Cena and Orton and have Smackdown have maybe two main events and the rest used to build up the little guys

The old way would be 1million times worse because if everyone can go to what ever show, the young guys will never get seen and all were gonna get is the same 6 superstars twice a week. The separation is better this way others can get a chance

The old way would be 1million times worse because if everyone can go to what ever show, the young guys will never get seen and all were gonna get is the same 6 superstars twice a week. The separation is better this way others can get a chance
thats not completely true but it would need better booking for it to work if you think about it there are only a few young guys that are really seen on the main Show's anyway this could also improve the midcard by having more time for possible Great midcard feuds

The Draft Worked

The draft acoomplished eevrything that it had to accomplish. The goals of the draft were to have two dominant figures holding their respective brands titles. That is exactly what it did. You now have two of the biggest strars as the face of their respective brand. Now as for the feuds that seem rehashed and not necessary, all I have to say is yes of course there will be some, however it's been what 2-3 month with the draft. We have roughly 9 months to see what comes out of this. We can now see matches like Rhodes vs Orton, Cara vs Bryan, Morrison vs Del Rio. Thye variety of matches that can be done will now be done and I fully expect that to happen. So yes, right now it might seem unnecessary but give it time and you might see how this actully works.

IMO the Draft should be GMs picking Superstars that they want, with them pulling up Superstars from FCW to the main roster.

And they should utilize trades in the regular year more often when things get stale. Like how on the old Smackdown vs. Raw games with General Manager Mode, you could trade say John Cena (RAW) for Shad from Cryme Tyme or some sht (SD) and it would say no, but if you did Cena for Batista it would work.

They could trade main eventers, or even midcarders in stale positions, for example right now, I would send Kofi to Smackdown where he could be a top face.

I think the Draft would be very anticipated if it would be the only time where new talent would be brought up (excluding NXT), and even more anticipated if GMs could pick who they wanted, because right now, it's just a show where 1 or 2 main eventers could move, and the rest of the show is just midcarders from each show switching to red or blue. One of the positives about ECW was that the main eventers from ECW could be sent to RAW or SD and they would be midcarders who would have to work their way up, and it would be nice to see someone who might never win a World Title be a World Champion in a lower tier for a while (Kane).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back