The Ohio State president doesn't feel BSU or TCU belong in the National title game

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Big surprise, huh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

But this is my favorite part:

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.
No, you just play:

Eastern Michigan
Marshall
Indiana
Minnesota

And you have other teams in the Big Ten playing these "very fine schools":

Western Michigan
Florida Atlantic
Northern Colorado
UNLV
San Jose St
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Ball State

Actually, those are just some of the non-conference games played by three of the top 4 schools (the other, of course, being Ohio State) in the Big Ten. Most of them have 1-3 wins, and some aren't even in the FBS.

Good job Mr. Gee, you've completely made a hypocrite of yourself.

Coming from Ohio State makes him look like a fool, had someonme from any other school that's not the most overrated university I might pay attention.

Oh, not me, because it's clear this excuse (and it is a baseless excuse) is just a smokescreen for the REAL reason he would say this...because if TCU and BSU get into the title game, then it would threaten the monopoly the BCS Conferences have on the system which creates a tremendous amount of money.

Boise State should have always been ranked ahead of TCU. They played last year and Boise State won and they returned all of their players. I love how analysts mention Boise St struggling against La Tech as a basis of TCU being better when TCU struggled earlier in the season against SMU and we saw how overrated Utah is when their best win was Pittsburgh.

That's obvious. But you can't deny the schedule BSU plays. I haven't looked at TCU's, but I think they are a better team and would deserve the nod over BSU.

Wait, what's wrong with the schedule Boise State has played? After the end of the regular season, both Ohio State and Boise State will have played three teams which were ranked at the time they played. Ohio State would have played all three of those ranked opponents at home, while Boise State played Va Tech in what was essentially a road game. You can make the argument Oregon State was overrated, but then again, I make the same argument about Miami. So the question becomes, does beating hapless Indiana by 28 mean more than beating hapless New Mexico St. by 59? Does beating a decent Penn State team by 20 mean more than beating a decent Hawaii team by 35?

The discrepancy in schedules is not NEARLY as large as these large conferences want people to believe.

I'm looking forward their game against Nevada. If they totally blow out Nevada, which I don't think is going to happen, then they're going to get some high praise.

I'm not going to even go into the out of conference schedule teams in the SEC play, especially late in the season.

Wait, what's wrong with the schedule Boise State has played? After the end of the regular season, both Ohio State and Boise State will have played three teams which were ranked at the time they played. Ohio State would have played all three of those ranked opponents at home, while Boise State played Va Tech in what was essentially a road game. You can make the argument Oregon State was overrated, but then again, I make the same argument about Miami. So the question becomes, does beating hapless Indiana by 28 mean more than beating hapless New Mexico St. by 59? Does beating a decent Penn State team by 20 mean more than beating a decent Hawaii team by 35?

The discrepancy in schedules is not NEARLY as large as these large conferences want people to believe.

I said if it was another school besides the most overrated Ohio State I'd pay attention but to humor you I'll play along.

Outside of the three ranked teams.

Boise played Wyoming, New Mexico State, Toledo, San Jose State, LA Tech, Hawaii, Idaho, and Fresno State.

Ohio State played Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Penn State, and Michigan.

Which schedule looks harder? Not saying that Ohio State should play for the title, but the schedule is tougher.

I looked at Virginia Tech's home record since 2005 and they only lost five times at home before facing Boise State, two of which were against top five teams.

I guess Ohio State most impressive win was Miami because they were good at the time or Iowa.

I said if it was another school besides the most overrated Ohio State I'd pay attention but to humor you I'll play along.

Boise played Wyoming, New Mexico State, Toledo, San Jose State, LA Tech, Hawaii, Idaho, and Fresno State.

Ohio State played Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Penn State, and Michigan.

Which schedule looks harder? Not saying that Ohio State should play for the title, but the schedule is tougher.

Hawaii and Fresno State are good teams. Hawaii gave Nevada their only loss and Fresno State isn't no slouch either.

Only hard game Ohio State has is Penn State. Michigan has a horrible defense.

Actually, I think Boise State's schedule looks just as tough, if not tougher. Marshall, Ohio, and Eastern Michigan are no better than any team Boise State has killed. Indiana just got national attention for how badly Wisconsin beat them. Minnesota is a whopping 2-9, with their only wins coming against an FCS team and Illinois, which leads me into how bad Illinois is, unless you count those wins against Southern Illinois and Indiana as impressive. Purdue got solidly beat by Notre Dame, a team that went on to lose its next three games. So basically, the only "decent" teams OSU has beaten are a Penn State team led at quarterback by a true freshman, and assuming victory against Michigan, a Michigan team which is probably two years away from being a true power.

You're really telling me a freshman led Penn State and a rebuilding Michigan are clearly better than the teams Boise State has CRUSHED? That's just silly.

Would Boise St go undefeated if they were in the Big 10 this year? I don't know, but we DO know Ohio State HASN'T gone undefeated. We KNOW Ohio State isn't the best team in the country, and they're not even the best team in their conference. And while I know you agree with me on Ohio State, the same applies for EVERY team that has lost a game.

There are only four teams which can claim nobody has been able to beat them, and two of those teams are TCU and Boise State.

Oh, and if Boise State played in the Big 10, I think they would be at the top of the conference. If you watch them play, there is no doubt they are clearly one of the elite teams in the country.

Actually, I think Boise State's schedule looks just as tough, if not tougher. Marshall, Ohio, and Eastern Michigan are no better than any team Boise State has killed. Indiana just got national attention for how badly Wisconsin beat them. Minnesota is a whopping 2-9, with their only wins coming against an FCS team and Illinois, which leads me into how bad Illinois is, unless you count those wins against Southern Illinois and Indiana as impressive. Purdue got solidly beat by Notre Dame, a team that went on to lose its next three games. So basically, the only "decent" teams OSU has beaten are a Penn State team led at quarterback by a true freshman, and assuming victory against Michigan, a Michigan team which is probably two years away from being a true power.

You're really telling me a freshman led Penn State and a rebuilding Michigan are clearly better than the teams Boise State has CRUSHED? That's just silly.

Would Boise St go undefeated if they were in the Big 10 this year? I don't know, but we DO know Ohio State HASN'T gone undefeated. We KNOW Ohio State isn't the best team in the country, and they're not even the best team in their conference. And while I know you agree with me on Ohio State, the same applies for EVERY team that has lost a game.

There are only four teams which can claim nobody has been able to beat them, and two of those teams are TCU and Boise State.

Oh, and if Boise State played in the Big 10, I think they would be at the top of the conference. If you watch them play, there is no doubt they are clearly one of the elite teams in the country.

Well let's just look at what's really going to happen. LSU will get the nod over both BSU and TCU, they're one loss but look at what they've played.

North Carolina 18, Vandy, Mississippi State, West Virgina 22, Tennessee, 14 Florida, McNeese State, one loss to 4 Auburn, 6 Alabama, 51-0 Louisiana-Monroe, Mississippi, 12 Arkansas.

They're going over both little guys and probably deserve it.

If somebody could invent some way in which games are played on the field to determine a national championship game rather than a combination of computers and flawed human polls that'd be great. It'd take a real genius though. Maybe they could call it a playoff or something. Wouldn't that be sweet?

North Carolina 18,

Half their team was suspended, and they still almost won.

Awful.

Mississippi State

Decent.

West Virgina 22

Currently 3rd place in the dreadful Big East, and LSU almost lost.

Tennessee

Awfu.

14 Florida

Completely overrated, aren't even ranked anymore.

McNeese State

FCS Team.

one loss to 4 Auburn

Yep.

6 Alabama

Solid win.

51-0 Louisiana-Monrore

Same thing Boise's done.

Mississippi

Barely beat an average team.

12 Arkansas.

I bet they lose.

Having watched LSU a few times, they aren't that good. If they are in the national title game over TCU or Boise it'll be a travesty.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The whole system is there for ratings and it always has been. Boise or TCU wouldn't draw like LSU or OSU, so let's just not let them have a chance. The whole thing is stupid beyond belief and at the end of the day, odds are Boise will play TCU as I think Mike Wilbon called it "At the kids table" while the big boys play for the national title. They'll be the official winners and you'll have one of the other two sitting there undefeated but according to everyone the other team is better just because. It's why college football is rapidly becoming more of a joke on top. Is there ANY reason why the Big East gets an automatic bid? Who cares, because it was agreed to before the season began. And now this. It's ridiculous and it's staying that way.

Silly question, but is there any way the BCS people could just go ahead and dismantle the football program in Columbus? Overrated is not the word for OSU.

If you can't win your own division, let alone conference, you don't deserve to be in the National Championship. Sorry.

And I'm willing to bet Boise and TCU could both take on OSU and win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back