Top 5 Rivalries In College Football

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
I'm a huge fan of NCAA Football. Probably a bigger fan of it then the NFL. One of the main reasons why I love watching college football: the rivalries. In the NFL, unless you're in the same division, rivalries might only happen sporadically. In the NCAA, however, colleges play each other every year for trophies, champonships, or maybe even good ol' bragging rights. There are well over 100 rivalries in NCAA Football, with every college (usually) having at least 1. Here are what I think are the top 5 rivalries (in no specific order) in all of College Football.

Army-Navy One of the oldest rivalries in the game, it has been going on since 1890. There were a few years were they didn't play each other until about the late 1920's, so they've been playing this game annually since 1930, which is 80 years. Before Conference Championship games were brought in, this was the only game played on the last week of the Division-I season. There isn't a trophy to this game, just bragging rights for the winner. Both teams have had extended winning streaks on the other, with Navy currently having won 11 of the past 13 games, and Army having a streak of 9-1-2 from 1922-1935. Navy currently leads the series 54-49-7.

Michigan-Ohio State The clear-cut most famous rivalry game out in the Midwest. If you walk up to someone from anywhere from the Midwest and ask them what 'The Game' is, there's a 95% chance they'll tell you it's Michigan-Ohio State. It's been played as the last game of each teams regular season since 1935, and it has somehow impacted the Big 10 Championship race a total of 47 times. Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes have been noted to have brought this rivalry as one of the 'top' must see games of each season, with the rivalry having the famous 'Ten Year War' from 1969-78. During those times Michigan was 5-4-1 against Ohio State, and the two teams shared the Big 10 title 6 times in that 10 year span. Michigan currently leads the series 57-43-6, but Ohio State has won the last 6 contests.

Oklahoma-Texas The Red River Rivalry, this is played annually during the Texas State Fair since 1932. The series had already been going on for 32 years prior to that, with their first meeting in 1900. This game, like Michigan and Ohio State, have had many national implications to the game. Since 1945, in 60 of the 65 games, one or both of the teams have been nationally ranked. That further helps explain the big implications of this game. It is set nearly equal distances from both college's campuses, and the stadium is split 50/50 for both teams fans. Texas leads the series 59-40-5. Texas has two separate eight game winning streaks and a ten game stretch where they went 9-1. Oklahoma has a ten game stretch where they went 9-1 aswell, with some 4 and 5 game winning streaks as well.

Miami-Florida State While this series only has about half of the amount of games played as the 3 series above, since the 1980's, I would argue that this has been the best rivalry in all of college football. The game had major national implications for a good 20 year stretch, and may again now that Miami seems to be back on the upswing. There had been many memorable games, including Wide Right's I, II, and III, Wide Left, and their game last year, which was the 2nd highest rated College Football game in the history of ESPN. (Their game in 2006 was the highest). Miami leads the series 31-23, and had won 8 of the first 9 games of the series. Florida State's best run was from 1963-74, where they won 8 of 9 aswell.

Harvard-Yale While it isn't Division I rivalry, it is far and away the most famous rivalry featuring any Ivy League schools. It is the 3rd longest continuing rivalry ever, with their first meeting coming in 1875. The two teams have also been quite even with each other, and one team hasn't had a winning streak longer then 8 games, which has only happened once. Only two other times in the 116 game series has either team won 5 straight games. One of the main reasons why I put this game up here is because of the full blown rivalry experience. Not only are there games, but there have been many notable instances of pranks pulled between both colleges. Yale leads the series 65-53-8, and have both a 6 game and 8 game winning streak. Harvard's longest streak is 5 games, although they have won 8 of the last 9 games.

These are, in my opinion, 5 of the biggest rivalries in all of College Sports. Honorable Mentions go out to USC-UCLA, Florida-Georgia, Oregon-Oregon State, West Virginia-Pittsburgh, and USC-Notre Dame. So what are your top 5?

I like your list with one exception. I'd take out Harvard/Yale and replace it with USC/UCLA. Over the last 50 years either USC or UCLA has won at least a share of the Pac 10 title 34 times. Throughout its history the Pac 10 has been dominated by these two teams. The close proximity of the teams just adds to the rivalry. Like all great college football rivalries no matter how good one team is and how bad the other is, a season can be saved by winning that rivalry game.

On a side note I'd say that the biggest of the five rivalries is Michigan vs Ohio State.

I was somewhat 50/50 with them both, but I decided with Harvard/Yale it's more then about the game, it has the pranks and tradition and everything. Not to take away anything from USC/UCLA, as that would've taken it's place, but I decided to give that rivalry some love and wanted to remind people that Division I isn't the only college football in the world.

I like some of yours list...here what i would think.

1.Ohio St. vs. Michigan - yes little biased but this is the definition of rivalry. I mean most the time the Big Ten title is on the line...sometimes national title hopes on the line...a win makes or breaks your season...i mean Michigan forced Carr out even though he got 9 or 10 wins constantly but his recent record with ohio st. killed him...and its just two great tradition rich Programs meeting.

2. Texas vs. Oklahoma - the atmosphere is great. The Texas State fair. Half the stadium Sooner Red other half Longhorn burnt orange...again two of the greatest programs ever. 99% of the time its the winner wins the South and Big 12...and alot of the times title hopes are on the line. Plus its in football country Texas!

3.Alabama vs. Auburn - Its almost like Big Brother vs. Little Brother...Alabama team with the most titles vs. Auburn perhaps the best program to never win one. These teams HATE each other as well. Plus its in the South in Alabama and those fans are just loney.

4.Notre Dame vs. USC - recently its been far from great (exception of 05 and 09). But it pits two of the most storied programs in football history...there records are almost identical..and im pretty sure they have the same amount of Heisman's (i dont care bush is still 05 heisman no matter what). and now with it being Brian Kelly vs. Lane Kiffin expect this game to become great again

5.Miami(Fl.) vs. Florida St. - sometimes the fights in between are better than the game ha. I've read Rock's book and boy he hated those Seminoles. And these games are always close i mean for goodness sakes how many wide left or rights are there in this game? Plus its two of Florida's most storied programs. Granted right now after thoughts to the Gators this game is always good.

I like your list with one exception. I'd take out Harvard/Yale and replace it with USC/UCLA. Over the last 50 years either USC or UCLA has won at least a share of the Pac 10 title 34 times. Throughout its history the Pac 10 has been dominated by these two teams. The close proximity of the teams just adds to the rivalry. Like all great college football rivalries no matter how good one team is and how bad the other is, a season can be saved by winning that rivalry game.

On a side note I'd say that the biggest of the five rivalries is Michigan vs Ohio State.

I'd put Notre Dame-USC in there over USC-UCLA.

Here are my 5

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin It might not be the most exciting at times, but the Battle For The Little Brown Jug is one of the oldest in college football.

Oregon vs. Oregon St. This is also one of the oldest rivalries in college football. Unlike USC-UCLA, though, in Oregon, you're either a Beaver or a Duck. People in California are fans of all sorts of teams. The Civil War, to me, is way more intense than the Battle for the Victory Bell.

Stanford vs. Cal You cannot have a rivalry on this list without including a rivalry that includes, literally, The Play. The Big Game has really picked up since Harbaugh took over and I expect this weekend to be a great game.

Texas vs. Oklahoma The Red River Rivalry has, lately, and for quite some time, determined the winner of the Big 12(8). I love that it's played on a neutral site. It only adds to the intensity.

Auburn vs. Alabama The Iron Bowl is a DEEP tradition for one of the proudest football states in America. It's a very intense rivalry that I've been lucky enough to see (thank god I was a neutral party who just got to watch a great game and my friend was the one emotionally vested in the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back