• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The [Official] Royal Rumble General Discussion

Paul Revere

Step In The Arena
I know it's like 3 months away, but it is usually one of the most entertaining shows of the year. It also sets the stage for the road to Wrestlemania, the biggest show of the year. The Royal Rumble rarely disappoints and the next one seems as if it will be more of the same. There are many things that could happen between now and then to make the winner more obvious, but right now the spot is pretty much up in the air.

Candidates to win the 2009 Royal Rumble.

Edge My favorite choice. I'm thinking Jeff Hardy wins the championship at Survivor Series or Armageddon. Edge with the surprise entry, wins the Rumble, and faces Jeff at 'Mania in what would be a great match.

Jeff Hardy If he doesn't win the championship before then, then I would say he is the prime candidate to win it.

Batista/John Cena I put them together because if either one of them wins, I believe it would lead to a rematch of their Summerslam which exceeded expectations. The easy way out is here.

MVP Seems a little farfetched right now, but who knows what could happen between now and then. Imo, MVP has always been one step away and something like the Rumble could put him over the top.

Vladimir Kozlov If he begins a losing streak, winning the Rumble could bring him back to the forefront and help him continue his dominance. Maybe a brand switch.

Other good chances: Randy Orton, Triple H, and The Undertaker

Outside shots: Big Show, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Ted Dibiase, and John Morrison

So who is your pick to win the 2009 Royal Rumble and why? What do you think that win would ultimately lead to?

I've been predicting for a while in my "Logical Belt Progressions" thread (which also includes MITB, RR, etc) that the person I consider the #1 most likely winner is Jeff Hardy. Of course, that changes if he wins the title at Survivor Series, but I just don't have faith that that's what they're doing, unless they only made it a triple threat because HHH doesn't want to lose clean. The best thing for Jeff would be to win the Royal Rumble and beat HHH clean at WrestleMania.

If Jeff doesn't win, I think Edge or Orton will, but we haven't had many heels win the Royal Rumble before, so history speaks against it. Doesn't mean its guaranteed that a heel won't win, but its not the likely scenario.

Batista/Cena....man, I really, really hope that they don't do that again as a title match. We've already seen it. If they want to do a rematch, have it on the undercard as one of the feud matches - not a main event. Its lost all its intrigue now that its been done, and it wouldn't even be the rubber match between the two.

One prediction I'm making is that since HBK was eliminated by Taker in 07, Taker was eliminated by HBK in 08, and there's a possibility that the two will have a match at WrestleMania, I think they'll take each other out at the same time. Evens up the score.

As I did last year...We all know there are some "Royal Rumble standards" that always happen:

1. Comic relief segment = Something with Santino
2. Eliminated in less than a minute = Goldman?
3. He who gets screwed by someone who was already eliminated = Its almost always HBK, lol, but since I'm predicting he and Taker will go at it, I say its Kennedy.
4. Shock Entrance = Well, they did Piper, Snuka, and Cena last year, so maybe they'll just bring Goldust back or something.
5. Feud that comes out of it = Too early to tell
6. Person attacked before they can enter the ring = Totally depends on what feuds are going on, but its usually someone in the midcard. This could either be a jobber like D-Lo who gets attacked by a monster like Umaga, or it'll be as the result of a legitimate feud like Priceless attacking CM Punk (but they'll probably be past that feud by then).
7. The big guy that is eliminated by 6+ people = Clearly it has to be either Khali, Ezekiel, Henry, or Umaga, as they're the biggest guys. The spot usually goes to Nelson but he was released months ago.
8. The House Cleaner (guy who shows up in the teens, eliminates like 5 people in a row) = Batista or Kane
9. Final Four = too hard to tell who will be the champions, but I'll just venture a guess and say Hardy, Edge, MVP, and a "big name face" like Batista/Cena.

I predict that it will either be John Cena or the Undertaker that wins the '09 Royal Rumble. I think Jeff Hardy will get the WWE Championship for a short reign sometime this year only to lose it to Kozlov due to outside interference from HHH (which will, in turn, set up a match between them at WM 25). Likewise, I think Orton will be tied up in a feud with Batista that will end at WM 25.

And, while I would love to see Edge come back to win the '09 Royal Rumble, I think WWE really screwed him this past year. His ignominious losses to Punk and the Undertaker, in my opinion, made his stock drop drastically. Unfortunately, it seems to me that Edge will have to build up his credibility (yet again) when he comes back.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my three options for winner of the 2009 RR are...

1.) Jeff Hardy- The logical choice unless he wins the title at Survivor Series. A babyface usually wins it and considering Hardy is on a megaroll and has this newly developed tweener attitude towards finally getting the brass ring. It will more than likely be Hardy.

2.) Edge- He's been out since SummerSlam and if they hold off on bringing him back until Armageddon he could be the favorite this year. But that whole heel never wins the rumble thing might get in the way. Maybe he returns at the Rumble and wins it the same night. He's always trying to one up Cena. So maybe he returns at an earlier number and wins in his return.

3.) Randy Orton- He's been out of action for the better part of 6 months now. What better way to establish yourself as the top heel on Raw than by Main Eventing(and hopefully winning) 2 straight Wrestlemanias? Could we see another Triple Threat this year with Cena,Batista,and Orton? He'll have to win the RR to do so.

Outside shot= Batista

If they wanna do Batista/Cena 2. Then Cena will probably have to win at SS and Batista will have to win the RR. I don't see either happening but both are very real possibilities.

If they wanna do Batista/Cena 2. Then Cena will probably have to win at SS and Batista will have to win the RR. I don't see either happening but both are very real possibilities.

Personally, I'm hoping that we don't have Cena/Batista for a championship at WrestleMania, but if they do it, I don't think either one of them will be winning the Royal Rumble. I have a feeling that if they want to do it, they'll have Cena win the title from Jericho at Survivor Series and feud with him for a little while, then Batista can win the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out. It seems like they may be doing that from now on as the way to figure out the challenger of the grouping that doesn't win the Royal Rumble. Much like last year's, they already knew they wanted Undertaker/Edge and they already had a feud going, so it was one of those scenarios where they didn't need to have Undertaker win the RR as they had a clear motive. The Royal Rumble winner is much like the Money in the Bank winner now in that they can be a little more random-seeming than they used to be. Back in the day when there was only one title, you knew it'd be one of 2 or 3 guys tops, and usually you could tell which one of those would be it (Austin lol), but now that they have some room to be more creative, they can give the win to the person who will challenge the champion that he has no current feud with.

But of course, its waaay too early to tell yet. I think come the end of Survivor Series, we'll all have 50% clearer sense of where the WWE is planning on going.

my top 5 picks to win the Rumble are as follows.

1 Edge he will most likely make his return in the casket match at SS and then be a face/heel for the time being. the only problem is he is a heel and none have ever won the Rumble.

2 Randy Orton again a heel history against him. this sucks does it not. the WWE is dumb maybe if they throw a curve at the Rumble for once and surprise us. Randy won at Mania last year as a heel. how often does that happen people hardely ever maybe this year the Rumble does the same.

3 MVP only because there playing out this losing streak storyline. he could win the big one here any turn face.

4 kennedy i know its a long shot this quick but hey you never know.

5 Jeff Hardy long shot considering i think he wins the elimination chamber

My pick is Edge cause I think they are going to do a storyline where Vickie wont give Edge a title shot and this cause him to be a face but an arrogant one against Vickie and leading to him winning this match. Big Show will win a watered down elimination chamber setting up a triple threat at mania between Vickie's current guy, her former guy and the dominant champion HHH

I'm pretty confident that if he keeps out of trouble, Jeff Hardy has the Rumble in the bag. I imagine he will be kept out of the World title picture until the Rumble but I expect him to be built up using his new badass gimmick. A showdown with the champion, HHH at Mania is what I'm predicting.

The reason I don't see a Raw star winning is because I think their main event will be Jericho-Cena and I don't see Cena winning two years in a row although stranger things have happened. I'm familiar with the idea of a Cena-Tista showdown for the title, but I just am not excited by it. Sure their match at Summerslam was pretty awesome but I do not see them replicating this.

I'm almost sure that Hardy will be WWE Champion at the Rumble, perhaps losing the title back to Hunter on the PPV.

So that leads to someone else winning the Rumble Match, I don't believe it will be 'Taker, we probably will win at NWO and become nº1 contender for the World Championship.

Cena wont win it again, he will be World HeavyWeight Champion by then, so my guess its Batista, Batista could not get a chance against Cena before Rumble, and with Cena as champion, Batista as the number one contender, we will probably get the rematch from Summerslam, and it makes sense, they are the top dogs in the industry, altought and I don't like Batista at all.

If Batista doesn't win this, I say, Jeff Hardy! Losing the title at the same night and entering as number 30 on the Rumble, getting his chance at the gold at Wrestlemania against Hunter or they can do the same thing they did last year, having Hardy's title shot against Hunter at No Way Out, and at NWO two Elimination Chambers.

I really don't think anyone that has won the rumble before will win this one. It seems like wwe wants to keep the 2 rumble wins an exclusive club, it makes the gimmick seem more realistic. If i'm not mistaken only three people have done that those being hogan, hbk, scsa they are arguably three of the greatest entertainers of all time. I think when edge returns as face he will win the rumble and beat hardy at mania for the belt. Edge needs a rumble win to be considered one of the greatest of all time which i think he is becoming.

hopefully edge or orton takes it.

i want to see face edge vs. heel triple h at mania.

hardy doesnt convince me.

I don't want Cena vs Batista at WM25 for the title although it could happen but neither will win the Royal Rumble. One of them might win the EC at NWO.

Edge should win the Royal Rumble. If not, then Jeff Hardy will win it but I'm confident it will be a SmackDown wrestler who wins it. If Jeff Hardy wins then you know he's going to pick Triple H. I don't think Kozlov will win it before WM25. Edge could jump ship to RAW to get away from Vickie and pick Cena if he has it, which I think he will win it at Royal Rumble and set up Edge/Cena.

Although personally, I would love to see Chris Jericho win it.

In the Wrestlemania prediciton thread, I picked Kane as the Rumble winner...

I know it's a longshot, but I'd like to see him get his first serious push in a long time (No, i'm not counting the ECW title as a push)...

I loved the heel Kane, and he's usually the rare heel that can face anyone and still be the top heel in the match. If Edge or Cena still has the title come Wrestlemania (unlikely, but ya never know), either would be a good match-up with Kane.

Considering this is for a title shot at Wrestlemania 25, I'm sure it'll be someone too over for their own good...

i.e Cena (for Cena-Batista again), Batista (for Edge-Batista again or Cena-Batista again), Shawn Michaels (maybe HBK-HHH)

I want Cena and Jericho! A really long good feud. Jericho is on fire right now. Cena has just come back and should be on the top of his game. Cena should have the belt up until Wrestlemania, and Jericho should be feuding with him, but not directly, or people will complain it's gone on too long. Jericho should win the Royal Rumble, their feud should intensify up until WM. I don't know what I think of Cena with the belt yet, so I'm not sure who I'd want to win at WM. But a feud between these 2 will be great.

Chris Jericho and John Cena for WM25 would be great. It's the perfect fued for me, my faveourite of all time versus the wrestler I dislike the most at the biggest PPV of the year.

I liked their 2005 fued. So it would be fairly fresh in a way. Jericho should lose his rematch and then as said in the post above, there could be an indirect fued. I don't know how, maybe just Jericho complaining to everyone about how Cena beat him and with him trying to beat other wrestlers to show that he can still win. Then pulls off the RR win and picks Cena. I'm excited about the thought of it.

I just don't want Batista/Cena.

The Wrestlemania Main Event now look like:

John Cena (c) vs Randy Orton

Edge/Triple H vs Jeff Hardy or Edge vs Triple H vs Jeff Hardy (depending on how they work it)

Orton is a huge asset to the company, and needs to be headlining Mania. Batista has said in the past he would walk away from the industry, so they need to keep him happy, but can't put him insanely over either. So by that logic, Batista can't go over Cena (the WWE's biggest star), but he can't lose on the grandest stage of them all, cleanly, in the main event. Cena/Orton, never really got going again, due to to Trips desperation to be champ, and with them both effectively playing tweeners (cena perhaps unintentionally), the atmosphere will be electric, Summerslam (Let's go Cena, Let's Go Orton) alternating was amazing.

Over on Smackdown, things are not so clear. If creative have any sense, they'll make it Edge (c) vs Jeff Hardy. Edge is back with Vickie, and she's cut decent promo's about Jeff being not up to being champion when talking to him. She need's to refuse him a shot at Edge, leading him to either enter and win the Rumble (ala Stone Cold angle 1999, without the swerve) or to win the chamber. Edge is mega over as a heel, and has made a living from beating the Hardys, the promo's he could cut if Jeff won the Rumble, with a two month build would be brilliant heel material. Debut roughly the same time, E & C beating the Hardys all the time, Edge had more singles titles, more World Titles, all building on Jeff not being able to win the big one. Then Jeff over Edge at Mania to the biggest pop ever.

However, I suspect Triple H will interject himself in here somewhere, either he get's a rematch at the next PPV (i hope so, to keep Hardy away from the title til Mania) or he faces Edge at the Rumble to take the title. Thus giving Jeff's title win even more credibility. He won't win the Rumble, and shouldn't win the chamber (assuming a Raw guy wins the Rumble).

If Trips beats Edge for the title at the Rumble, have Edge enter the Rumble at #31, building that inevitable sense that Edge is going to steal the Rumble. (Every money in the bank, the last minute replacement last night) when Edge shows up, you expect him to win. Having Jeff win (huge pop), Edge show up and enter illegally with Vickie's backing (huge heat), and then Jeff still win would be an unreal finish. This would put Jeff over more than anything in his career.

So take your pick, Mr Orton or Mr Hardy to win the 09 Rumble

After watching Survivor Series this past weekend and seeing the return of Edge, my money is on Jeff Hardy. The back-story was great, with Jeff Hardy getting injured and Edge eventually winning the title. Edge could easily defend the title against Triple H and maybe even Kozlov for a couple months. That would leave a prime spot for Jeff Hardy to win the Rumble and face Edge in the main event at Wrestlemania. I never thought I would say this, but Jeff Hardy really does belong in that main event if this story unfolds to be something special.

Perhaps the best pick is Jeff Hardy. Someone who hasn't won it or someone who hasn't been champ for a while. Edge is champ so he's out. Jericho just had two world title, so he's out. Randy Orton is a good pick, but he's a heel. I don't think the WWE will pick MVP. or Kennedy.

Mr. Kennedy would be nice to see win it. Before he gets injured again. Remember
Kennedy was set to use the money in the Bank briefcase at last year wrestlemania, but he got hurt and the circumstances changed.

I have a feeling that Jeff Hardy is gonna win because they keep pushing him as the man who never wins the big one (sans Eddie Guerrero and Chris benoit). Jeff Hardy with all the right moves has all the potential to be built in into the main event match at Mania. Edge vs Jeff Hardy would be a great mania match and I think given their "families" history, this could be built into a great feud for the title. If I saw anyone, it would be Jeff hARDY.

Jeff Hardy: Seeing as Edge is now the world champ, I see Jeff winning, and going onto Wrestlemania to take the title off Edge as revenge and finally get his first title reign. This is what I would love to see, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Randy Orton: I see him winning, and going to face Cena at Wrestlemania. This would be very entertaining to see that match. Although I would like to see this match, I don't think Orton will win, but I think he has the 2nd best chance to.

Batista: I think this is a pretty good choice for him to win. It would set up Cena Batista 3 which would be a huge draw. I also think It will set up a long Cena Batista feud which I would love to see.

Anyway those are the 3 people I can see winning, and who have the biggest chance to win this years Rumble.

Hmm. The Rumble is definitely shaping up to be interesting. I'm thinking that we'll see 4 undercard matches, as we did in 07 and 08, and then the Rumble. Two of the undercard matches will, of course, be the world title matches, but then we have to fill in the other two. I would guess at Shawn Michaels vs JBL, but I think everyone is best served with HBK in the Rumble match. He just adds excitement to the whole thing, I think. Plus, another HBK vs Taker confrontation would be entertaining. We'll probably see an ECW Title match, so I can figure that one out, but as far as the other undercard bout...it's too hard to call. One thing I could anticipate is 'Taker vs Umaga, but again, I wonder that 'Taker won't be in the Rumble.

I don't see Matt dropping the title off to anyone soon, although it looks like Swagger vs Matt is shaping up for Armageddon. Still, I have big doubts we'd see Swagger get it there. I could see Matt vs Swagger here, but I'm sure Matt vs Bourne, if Bourne can get healthy, would be far more entertaining. I see either Bourne or Swagger being the next title holder, so I'll guess at one of those two matches.

The title matches are an interesting prospect. No way is a title dropping anytime until WrestleMania at least, so the WHC can factor Cena in as title holder. Potentially a Triple Threat, perhaps Jericho v Orton v Cena? Or, potentially, another Cena vs Batista match. Kind of a tough call with three potential contenders there. Alternatively, Orton vs Cena here to shape up to an Orton v Cena v Batista at WM. Lots of options, but anyway it goes Cena is certainly going out as champ.

The WWE Championship scene is very, very intriguing. I see two main events for WM 25 - Edge vs Jeff and Edge vs Triple H, and I'm banking either Jeff Hardy or Triple H is winning the Rumble this year. Both are nearly guaranteed brilliant matches - Triple H and Edge are easily the two top talents on SmackDown. However, it's been proven several times that Jeff and Edge have great chemistry together, and could easily pull off a stellar main event. So, that said, I'm seeing either Triple H or Jeff Hardy getting the solo match here, thus making the other man win the Rumble and getting the world title shot at WM. My brain says Edge vs Jeff here, but my heart says Edge vs Triple H. The Hardy mark in me wants to see him main event WrestleMania.

So, the above said, my Rumble predictions are pretty clear. I see Triple H or Jeff walking away the last man standing, and the logical part of me says it will be Triple H tacking on a second Rumble win. I wonder whether Triple H might go for the number 1 spot to win. I think it's something he'd like to tack onto his record, and he could have it if he wanted it. Then again, they may not want to touch that subject, considering it would bring them dangerously close to Benoit. That aside, the more markish half of me really wants Hardy to win the Rumble, go to WM, and win the WWE Championship. Yeah, it's unlikely and highly markish, but damn it, I can dream.

In any case, I'm excited for the Rumble and it could easily be leading us into a very entertaining WrestleMania.

Note #1. Another thing that happens at pretty much every Royal Rumble is that Hardcore Holly goes after Shawn Michaels. I don't know why, but look at the history. It happens. Since we don't know if Holly will be out of rehab by then, its questionable whether or not this will happen for the umpteenth time in a row lol.

Note #2. I really, really hope that Hornswoggle isn't in it again.

Note #3. If Kozlov does get an ECW title shot against Matt Hardy like I think he will, I'm pretty sure he'll win it, so I'm hoping that if he's still ECW champion by the Royal Rumble, that he doesn't get involved in the match itself. Last year we had Chavo in there, which made it look like the ECW title was worthless.

Note #4. I'd love to see Morrison get to the final four, but I don't think he will. Although, I DO think that MVP will. Not sure why...just going by my gut feeling. Its much too early to tell, and even then, its hard to guess, but I just have a feeling that MVP will be in the final four.

Note #5. Tommy Dreamer seems to smack his face pretty hard when he's thrown out. I wonder if he'll do it again this time around lol.

Note #3. If Kozlov does get an ECW title shot against Matt Hardy like I think he will, I'm pretty sure he'll win it,

I was JUST thinking that last night watching Smackdown!. I've been saying that I'd like to see Kane win it, because it'd be nice to see him get a push, but I don't see any other logical way for him to get it right now.

I'm not a big Kozlov fan, but the match with Matt Hardy wasn't all bad considering the purpose it was serving (getting Jeff the shot at Armageddon), and I'm intrigued to see if they build from there. If he doesn't have a shot by then, or have the title, it would be interesting to have the Rumble winner go after the ECW belt, to give it a little notoriety, and also leave the 2 "major" belts open for other storylines, like 2 Chamber matches at No Way Out...

Jeff Hardy - It's very possible he could win the Rumble and face Edge at wrestlemania. He's been getting a steady push ever since returning from injury. The fans want to see him win the WWE title and there's no better place to win it than Wrestlemania. If he doesnt win the Rumble i say he wins the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out. If Jeff doenst win i think Batista will win it. I dont want to see him get another mega push but it's looking like it's going to happen. He realy isnt over enough to get the mega star pushes he gets. But i realy think he'll win the Rumble again and go to wrestlemania and have a rematch against John Cena.

Well the 2 wrestlemania world title matches wiill most likely be Jeff Hardy vs. Edge for the WWE title(triple h may find a way to stick his nose in their too), and Cena vs. Batista for the WHC. Personally i see the rumble being used as an effective way to push a rising star and build their momentum. so i think that we will see an underdog story of jeff hardy entering at a low number beating the odds and winning. However, i think jeff hardy earning a title shot in an elimination chamber would work well becuz it could showcse his "extremeness" and for the win he could hit some crazy swanton to build even more momentum heading into wrestlemania. Maybe he will win the rumble then vickie will force him to go through the chamber to defend his title shot cuz shes a bitch. Then in the RAW chamber Batista wins to face Cena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back